Macross Frontier: Itsuwari No Utahime

shiroth

People need to quit getting so lost in the shipping wars and just appreciate the scene for what it is: dynamic.

The simple fact that Alto was so quick to protect Ranka from Sheryl (even though he misunderstood the situation) shows a strong connection between those two. I saw this and I was like "Oh sh-- dude, you done fu--ed it up now..." This version of Sheryl melds much better with Alto, too.

Oh Gubaba, you troll. :p

As Frothymug said, it WAS a dramatic scene...and I did indeed like it.

Yes, I was joking by saying it was my "favorite scene," but that's no sillier (or more inflammatory) than than a lot of stuff I've seen written about Ranka, or Alto, or Nanase, or Brera, or Shoji Kawamori, or Megumi Nakajima, or any and all Ranka fans.

I quite honestly don't see what was so different (and thus, trollish) about my post.

As Frothymug said, it WAS a dramatic scene...and I did indeed like it.

Yes, I was joking by saying it was my "favorite scene," but that's no sillier (or more inflammatory) than than a lot of stuff I've seen written about Ranka, or Alto, or Nanase, or Brera, or Shoji Kawamori, or Megumi Nakajima, or any and all Ranka fans.

I quite honestly don't see what was so different (and thus, trollish) about my post.

Oh don't worry. I was being facetious. You do have a knack for the art, though, from what I've seen over at AS. :lol:

As one can infer from your post, it isn't really about what you say, so much as how you say it. People get riled up over shipping arguments because people are deliberately inflammatory when writing up their reactions to the series. The slaps from the TV series are a case in point (as you are probably more than familiar with). I think it's the difference between saying that you liked the presentation of the scene as opposed to the act itself.

Oh don't worry. I was being facetious. You do have a knack for the art, though, from what I've seen over at AS. :lol:

As one can infer from your post, it isn't really about what you say, so much as how you say it. People get riled up over shipping arguments because people are deliberately inflammatory when writing up their reactions to the series. The slaps from the TV series are a case in point (as you are probably more than familiar with). I think it's the difference between saying that you liked the presentation of the scene as opposed to the act itself.

I'm not so sure...but I'll PM you about it.

Cons:

The mecha battles were fast-paced, but it felt like they were going TOO fast at some point. One thing that bugged the hell out of me was when Alto was trying to save Ranka from the Vajra bug and is being held in place by the bug. Michael's sniping helped out, and eventually Alto leaves the VF to grab Ranka and escape with her. He gets hit on his EX-Gear and in about .056 seconds, he slave connects to his VF and is already in the damn cockpit before I could blink twice. First of all, how is the VF not already destroyed by either the bug or the friendly fire from Michael? Second, it's bad coreography to skip those little moments to show the full motion of what's going on. I don't know... it just made me say "wtf" when I watched that scene.

I'll post more later ^_^

Actually, the editing in some parts of the film is legitimately weak. I also felt that particular sequence was rather poorly pieced together. Most likely the sequence was edited as such to maintain the pace that was established in the earlier sequences as well as that of the whole battle sequence. I agree it's still a legitimate problem, I'm just saying they might have had reasons for editing it poorly.

But since I'm talking about editing, I will also say the first Sheryl Concert was also poorly edited cross-cutting. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say the cross-cutting was fine but it was the introduction of the entire sequence that was poor. For example, the first Sheryl Concert/Battle sequence itself was edited similarly to the Macross Frontier series (Sheryl singing - cut to - VF-171 fighters fighting outside - cut back to - Sheryl singing). Just one problem: if the audience wasn't already familiar with the Macross Frontier TV Series, they'd...

a) have no idea WHY the hell those VF-171 fighters were launching and...

b) have no idea WHAT the hell the VF-171 fighters were shooting at! :o

Granted this is nitpicking to a certain extent, especially since I am part of the audience already familiar with the Macross Frontier series. Still, it kinda bothers me and feels poorly made. So there it is :)

For now I'll just quickly repost the small thoughts I had when I watched the camrip back in July. I kept it to a minimum since most didn't bother with it.

"Just finished watching the "infamous" camrip, and while I didn't understand everything due to lack of subs, I got enough to still highly enjoy it. The characters seem a bit more balanced and everything is naturally a bit more focused. Though it's obvious this is for fans since the background characters didn't get much of anything. Hopefully, I'll like it even more once the real version comes out and gets fansubbed.

Definitely intrigued by the red VF-1. "

Personally, I particularly thought Sheryl was hadled better early on, what with

Alto saving her life at the concert

Makes more sense why she's following him around this time than the whole "he bumped into me so I'll have my fun" or something of the series. I wasn't able to follow the end so much. All in all, I liked it about as much as I thought I would. Yes, the Sheryl, Ranka, Alto scene described above was definitely interesting. I'm not sure entirely how I feel about the childhood friend aspect, but if it allows the drama to move forward faster for the film, so be it, I guess.

I'll post more complete thoughts once a fansub is out.

[OOT] Love the avatars, Mr March and Gubaba. The awesomeness of Patlabor and the creepiness of Starlight Natto[/OOT]

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Guess I'll put my 2 cents.

Personally, I really liked this movie. I was pleasantly surprised that it contained more than 15 seconds of new footage, unlike other Bandai sponsored compilation movies.

Sure, as far as movies go, it's sub par. But Frontier is sub par as far as quality anime goes, so it's a moot point anyway. But, I watch Macross for pretty much one reason - the mecha. And as far as the battle scenes went, I was very happy. I'm gonna enjoy watching the scenes over and over, in slow motion, frame by frame, because that's just how I enjoy this stuff. Besides, is there any other way to really enjoy it when the story is lame and the characters flat?

For the record, I think the characters were improved a little over the series. However, at the same time, a lot of their personality traits (mainly flaws) were taken away. I suppose it's because they only had 2 hours to grow in this version, as opposed to 25 episodes (still too short IMO). Still though, the character development had a better flow to it because of this. It felt less made up as the story went along (or less as an afterthought to sweet mecha action).

So, to sum it all up, I'll just say that my favorite scene was...

the VF-25 'Slave Mode' save. Am I the only one that fully appreciates this feature of the new Valkyries?

Just finished it, and damn, what an epic retelling. I honestly don't know what some of you guys are bitching about with the animation. As for the pacing, I'd say that's a nitpick too, everything flows together quite nicely. I think tihs is more a matter of knowing what's being skipped & misisng it, rather than having a feeling of jumping around. izolado not making it into the film was my only gripe, but there's still hope for the next one. Hell, so much was included here, that the bar for the big battle in the next one is going to be incredibly high. I think they'll hit, or possibly exceed it though, can't wait.

As for that "scene" mentioned earlier

Totally understandable why Alto didn't trust Sheryl. Ozma had him believing she was a spy from Galaxy out to get Ranka something to do with what happend on Galia 4 (obviously need a translation for more details). So no, that didn't surprise me at all.

Now what I'd like to know is

it looks to me like Alto may have been infected with the V-Type virus this time, specifically when treating Sheryl's wound. The little flash into her past he got when touching her earring lends itself to this theory.

I honestly don't know what some of you guys are bitching about with the animation.

I just browsed through it and still didn't have the chance to watch it properly, but the character animation is bad. Bad for a theatrical release, that is, but standard fot TV quality animation. The series had average animation quality to start with (it was not Cowboy Bebop, so to speak). As it is, the new animations in the movie blend well with the TV series, that's true, but that's not a compliment. Characters are "stiff". Just look at the first concert scene with Sheryl: she is stiff as hell. Someone compared that scene with Sharon Apple, but the Macross Plus ep. 2 concert was leaps and bound better that the one presented here, both visually (and musically) speaking. That doesn't mean the movie is bad. The new opening scene with Frontier is gorgeous, for example. It's just not DYRL.

I just browsed through it and still didn't have the chance to watch it properly, but the character animation is bad. Bad for a theatrical release, that is, but standard fot TV quality animation. The series had average animation quality to start with (it was not Cowboy Bebop, so to speak). As it is, the new animations in the movie blend well with the TV series, that's true, but that's not a compliment. Characters are "stiff". Just look at the first concert scene with Sheryl: she is stiff as hell. Someone compared that scene with Sharon Apple, but the Macross Plus ep. 2 concert was leaps and bound better that the one presented here, both visually (and musically) speaking. That doesn't mean the movie is bad. The new opening scene with Frontier is gorgeous, for example. It's just not DYRL.

I agree, while not completely with the concert scene statement, I try not to be so critical of it though because let's be honest, we can assume that Satelight is not working with the same kind of budget of other high profile theatrical releases, most of the stuff recycled was from the better animated episodes though, which makes sense, 1-2, 5, which looks quite good, some stuff wasn't, let's just say I'm not a fan of Ranka with a carrot on her head, but aside from this I think this movie can go toe-to-toe with some of the best stuff out there or surpass it, CG work, backgrounds, action choreography, it's all top notch, which is even more impressive considering it's coming from a smaller studio.

I just finished watching it last night and I'm a bit mixed about it. The interaction between Alto-Sheryl-Ranka do feel more natural to me and the pacing was a bit quick. Overall i really did enjoy it though.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet or not.... but which is cannon? TV or Movie? Will the new Movie be based off of the TV series or based off the movie is what i guess what I'm asking.

I just finished watching it last night and I'm a bit mixed about it. The interaction between Alto-Sheryl-Ranka do feel more natural to me and the pacing was a bit quick. Overall i really did enjoy it though.

I'm not sure if this question has been asked yet or not.... but which is cannon? TV or Movie? Will the new Movie be based off of the TV series or based off the movie is what i guess what I'm asking.

The second movie will be a sequel to the first movie (why does this question keep coming up? Shouldn't it be obvious?).

As for which is canon, let me answer your question with a question...Does "canon" matter for ANYTHING in Macross?

it looks to me like Alto may have been infected with the V-Type virus this time, specifically when treating Sheryl's wound. The little flash into her past he got when touching her earring lends itself to this theory.

Ah! That's a good catch! I didn't consider that when I saw the movie, but I think you're onto something there!

Someone compared that scene with Sharon Apple, but the Macross Plus ep. 2 concert was leaps and bound better that the one presented here, both visually (and musically) speaking.

I compared the clockworks motif to one of the images shown during the concert opening in MacPlus Ep.2. I just thought that image was a big influence on the design of Sheryl's concert. Didn't say anything about it being on par with MacPlus. ^_^

Definitely intrigued by the red VF-1. "

[OOT] Love the avatars, Mr March and Gubaba. The awesomeness of Patlabor and the creepiness of Starlight Natto[/OOT]

You and me both. I was flipping out when I saw that Super VF-1 Valkyrie :)

And thanks. It was time for a change of the old avatar :)

Personally, I particularly thought Sheryl was hadled better early on, what with

Alto saving her life at the concert

Makes more sense why she's following him around this time than the whole "he bumped into me so I'll have my fun" or something of the series. I wasn't able to follow the end so much. All in all, I liked it about as much as I thought I would. Yes, the Sheryl, Ranka, Alto scene described above was definitely interesting. I'm not sure entirely how I feel about the childhood friend aspect, but if it allows the drama to move forward faster for the film, so be it, I guess.

She had a good reason to follow him around in the TV show: she thought he could help her find her heirloom earring, and things progressed from there. That said, I think the movie did a whole lot more to integrate her into his life and into the rest of the plot early on. I suspect some is further progression away from the early-in-production plans of Sheryl having a smaller role in the series overall.

I have to agree there. With a few exceptions, Japanese animation by and large is weak on motion and strong on background, though it's of course most noticeable in TV work. Or theatrical releases that incorporate a lot of TV footage, for that matter. It also hasn't especially gotten better with the gradual marginalization of the medium in Japan tightening budgets all around. So the CGI was flashy, the colors were vivid, and the backgrounds were stunning, but the motion was unfortunately lacking. This was true of the TV series too, but it's a little harder to just ignore in a movie.

Well it could be, but i remember reading a interview or something that explained

Alto saw Sheryl's past and what she felt because he used the earring, and with that he connected himself with her

Of course I'm not 100% sure because I don't remember where i read that, anyway i hope we can get the subs ASAP.

I don't think it was stiff, as matter of fact I liked the beginning of it quite a bit, things get a bit iffy after blue-haired Sheryl shows up though, you see her close up, then opening her arms, those shots from all the trailers, it goes a bit south right after that.

Edited by Tobi54

She had a good reason to follow him around in the TV show: she thought he could help her find her heirloom earring, and things progressed from there. That said, I think the movie did a whole lot more to integrate her into his life and into the rest of the plot early on. I suspect some is further progression away from the early-in-production plans of Sheryl having a smaller role in the series overall.

You're forgetting that that was the second time she started following him around. She was done with him, then noticed the earring missing and got all peeved that she'd have to track him down again. That reason I could get. What I never could was the first time. The first time had her scrambling for the concert footage and then she tracked him down for what seemed like little reason than to get back at him for interrupting the performance or cussing her out for leaving (which is about all I can think of, she never says). My guess was they meant for her to notice the earring missing or something and just didn't have time to rearrange the footage. Add in the early broadcast of episode one where all they did was talk about her leaving the concert, and the reasoning gets even weaker. It's no wonder they added the knock off flyaround and change it completely for the film (even if the film version is a touch cliche). Hence why I spent a good part of the first few episodes wondering what the heck she was with him for and how I never really saw her past mildly amusing for a good portion of the show (especially after the whole Zentran panties thing). Such an immature character. ^_^

I have to agree there. With a few exceptions, Japanese animation by and large is weak on motion and strong on background, though it's of course most noticeable in TV work. Or theatrical releases that incorporate a lot of TV footage, for that matter. It also hasn't especially gotten better with the gradual marginalization of the medium in Japan tightening budgets all around. So the CGI was flashy, the colors were vivid, and the backgrounds were stunning, but the motion was unfortunately lacking. This was true of the TV series too, but it's a little harder to just ignore in a movie.

That's been the very core of anime for some time. The Japanese have always valued detail over fluidity. Most anime have more in common with Hanna Barbara than Walt Disney. It's the priorities of the style.

You're forgetting that that was the second time she started following him around. She was done with him, then noticed the earring missing and got all peeved that she'd have to track him down again. That reason I could get. What I never could was the first time. The first time had her scrambling for the concert footage and then she tracked him down for what seemed like little reason than to get back at him for interrupting the performance or cussing her out for leaving (which is about all I can think of, she never says). My guess was they meant for her to notice the earring missing or something and just didn't have time to rearrange the footage. Add in the early broadcast of episode one where all they did was talk about her leaving the concert, and the reasoning gets even weaker. It's no wonder they added the knock off flyaround and change it completely for the film (even if the film version is a touch cliche). Hence why I spent a good part of the first few episodes wondering what the heck she was with him for and how I never really saw her past mildly amusing for a good portion of the show (especially after the whole Zentran panties thing). Such an immature character. ^_^

I meant the first time she followed him in episode 2. Just rewatched it to be sure: she was frantically hunting for her earring, then asked Grace for the concert footage to find if it came off there, and saw it fly off into Alto's EX-Gear. That's when she got Cathy to give her Alto's location and tracked him down. Before she got a chance to bring it up, they were attacked by Vajra and ran into the shelter. If you mean you were confused how it managed to slip her mind while they were trapped in there, that's another question, but shortly after that in episode 3 is when she suddenly remembers she forgot to ask. Which leads to the second meeting.

As for making the big point of her leaving the concert when everyone was told to evacuate it - that was pretty bizarre. Especially after they'd shown all the audience all being out of the hall already. I can buy bad editing there.

Maybe I saw a bad fansub, but I never recalled picking up on that until the second time when she outright says it :wacko: . It made it look like see was looking for the footage, and remembered the earring later. Hence my confusion a few episodes letter when things got more friendly which I questioned, looking at the old threads (Swampstorm did much the same you did years ago in one of the poll threads when I asked why the hell she was following him around come "Stardate". I took the earring explanation and rewatched some of three and left it at that, though watching a few episodes back in July brought it back up on viewing 2). The point's long moot though, since more than a year's past, the damage is long done and I like the movie setup better anyway. Obviously, even they thought the intro could be stronger.

I don't know, I like that Sheryl initially starts following Alto around because she likes him. She singled him out during the concert, "toyed" with him during the concert, and continued to persue that even before she notices her earring missing this time. It's quite clear she has an interest in him.

And I agree, the clockwork dance is "supposed" to be jerky damnit.

As for the blood issue

I don't think it's something that's revealed in this movie, as the subject of the V-Type virus hasn't even been addressed yet. Mayhaps in the next movie, Ranka will have to save both Alto & Sheryl from it.

Looked at it quickly online. Yeah, they make the earring issue really vague in episode 2, but I guess it's there. The dialog when she's ransacking the room implies she's looking for the concert video. It's on the video playback that one can sort of see the earring fall, but it's really easy to miss. No wonder I never picked up on it. I knew I was busy watching those early episodes/ :rolleyes: .

I wouldn't mind your version, Keith, if it just wasn't so obvious to the contrary with her annoyance at him and attitude ;) . It wasn't that big of an issue until she sort of 180ed and opened up in Star Date, then conversations tended to blow it out of proportion. Yadda yadda yadda, etc. etc. Like I said, the damage is long done, and the point's moot now. The new version is somewhat passe, but it works for pacing. Moving on.

As for the jerkiness, most of that scene appears to be animated on twos, the faster arm movements even trip into 1s, so I don't know what you guys are talking about. :lol: The dance design isn't very fluid, but the animation is.

I just finished watching the movie and I must say it's just pure awesomeness! It would be ten times better if I only understood what exactly was said! The song selection wasn't the greatest in some parts of the movie, but it wasn't bad either by any means. The pacing of the story and scenes are just fine in my opinion. The animation is superb.... I don't see what all the fuss is about with this movie. Maybe my memory is a little fuzzy, but I think it's being over exaggerated with just how much reused footage was used in the movie. Yes, there was some...but there was a lot of new footage too. Moreover, I have no issues with any of the changes that were made...like Klan being a student for one. I think it's a great retelling thus far! I can't wait for the sequel!

Question: Would anyone know the name of the instrumental piece that's played during 1:22:34 ~ 1:23:21 in the movie? Is it even on any of the OSTs for that matter? Thanks

Edit: If I were to have a real gripe with the movie...it's with how ineffective the Macross Cannon was at first. <_<

Edited by Oihan

And I agree, the clockwork dance is "supposed" to be jerky damnit.

Finally got the time to watch it properly. Character animation quality is quite low in certain parts, better in others (not alway on the TV-reprised scenes, sadly) and the clockwork Sheryl (especially the vampire/angel dance-bite moment) is particularly bad and doesn't seem to be like that on purpose. Stiff, as I said.

But...

Damn! Despite this I have to agree that Frontier movie rocks!

Beautifl backgrounds, gorgeous final battle, nice new main characters introductions. I was glad Klan wasn't shown like a sextoy for perverts like in the TV series and that Luca is just a minor presence. Fortunately they changed Brera's ridiculous outfit for the movie. Thanks, my eyes appreciated it very much. Heck, I actually did not want to throw Ranka out of an airlock by the movie's end, and that's something!

Sadly, as someone pointed out months ago, still no Battle Frontier transformation sequence. Bad Kawamori, bad. I didn't like the absolutely gratuitious Grace nude scene.

All in all, probably the best Macross retelling to date (in my opinion). Oh, and Ozma rules.

Edited by nexxstrait

I didn't like the absolutely gratuitious Grace nude scene.

yeah, they really fanserviced the characters of late. That whole sunblock cm with Sheryl was just ridiculous. :lol: I find it interesting that they labeled her with the butterfly heart emblem in it.

Heck, I actually did not want to throw Ranka out of an airlock by the movie's end, and that's something!

I could say the same about Shelley. :D

As for Universal Bunny, I side with those that believe it's simply how they wanted it. Methodical, nuanced movements. the dance just isn't very fluid.

I give this a go whenever subs out and I'm feeling up to it.

But since I'm talking about editing, I will also say the first Sheryl Concert was also poorly edited cross-cutting. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say the cross-cutting was fine but it was the introduction of the entire sequence that was poor. For example, the first Sheryl Concert/Battle sequence itself was edited similarly to the Macross Frontier series (Sheryl singing - cut to - VF-171 fighters fighting outside - cut back to - Sheryl singing). Just one problem: if the audience wasn't already familiar with the Macross Frontier TV Series, they'd...

a) have no idea WHY the hell those VF-171 fighters were launching and...

b) have no idea WHAT the hell the VF-171 fighters were shooting at! :o

I still like the pre-broadcast version of that concert in terms of editing. Still, it's a lot to throw in. On a related note, it's still awkward to hear Universal Bunny cut out at the point it does. I'm so used to the album cut.

So, are we done with the spoiler tags yet? I guess I'll use 'em until I know for sure.

I was thinking about this compilation, and while it isn't a radical change in story like DYRL?, it is still quite different from the TV version. It occurs to me that this is normal for Macross, but of course you guys already know this (and have mentioned something to the same effect). It's almost like how American comic book stories are retold... the same basic characters are there, but their relationships and situations change from iteration to iteration. The only difference is that when dealing with Macross, it is much more short lived.

Anyway, I got to thinking. If they are gonna pull out all the stops and retell the story different (which I'm okay with, by the way. I mean c'mon, we already saw the series. Why not have something new? No one cares about Macross canon [not to be confused with the Macross Cannon]).

So, in the next film:

Will Brera Yamato and Athrun Saotome still be pals? Will Michael still be alive? Will anyone care about Luca?

What do you guys think?

Edited by Product9

Edit: If I were to have a real gripe with the movie...it's with how ineffective the Macross Cannon was at first. <_<

I file that under lazy writing, though to be fair that's something that hamstrings a lot of science fiction. Creating powerful technology requires the writers account for them in each applicable situation. Problem is writers live in the real world and have to write drama from a perspective of living in the 21st century. We don't have a big cannon like the Macross 25/Frontier, so often the writers will forget or fail to prioritize the implications of the technology they've created. In the Macross Frontier movie, they just decided to make the macross cannon ineffectual for no apparent in-universe reason just to create dramatic tension. Like you, I didn't care for that. It would have been better if the Vajra simply used a decoy ship to absorb the macross cannon attack and then struck back before the UN forces had time to fire again.

I still like the pre-broadcast version of that concert in terms of editing. Still, it's a lot to throw in. On a related note, it's still awkward to hear Universal Bunny cut out at the point it does. I'm so used to the album cut.

That's understandable, since it was the first version. We often prefer the first edit we see. We get used to the sequencing and timing and enjoy how and when the beats strike their chord. Which is why people have strong negative reactions to future edits of some show or film they really love (Star Wars SE, film edits for TV, etc).

That's understandable, since it was the first version. We often prefer the first edit we see. We get used to the sequencing and timing and enjoy how and when the beats strike their chord. Which is why people have strong negative reactions to future edits of some show or film they really love (Star Wars SE, film edits for TV, etc).

The TV series also had room to pan things out. The movie, being as it is, doesn't have the luxury of time.

True, though there are always exceptions. I grew up on the theatrical cut of 1776, but vastly prefer the directors cut. I get what you're saying though. It's like how a restoration can look "wrong" (though a lot of times it is ^_^). I just remember that cut having the best flow for the music, but then they added alot and couldn't really keep it (also hated the timing on "Frontier 2059" which was thankfully fixed for the BD).

So, are we done with the spoiler tags yet? I guess I'll use 'em until I know for sure.

The films been out for four days, and no subs yet, what do you think? ;)