Macross Frontier: Itsuwari No Utahime

shiroth

However, as far as character animation goes, I am a little disappointed. Maybe it was to ensure consistency with the TV serie's character animation quality since the quite abit of stock footage was used from there as well. Of course, that means that the character models maintained the series' quality, which while pretty ok for a TV series, makes this movie look as if it is released direct-to-DVD type of movie. Of course, the good news is that it maintains its consistency mainly throughout the movie, unlike the series, especially episode 8, where the animation quality takes a serious nosedive.

There were a few scenes in the film where the character designs actually made me wow. Those would be Sheryl's scene at the window, and the conversation between Alto and Ozma in his car about the chance that Sheryl could be a spy. The rest i'd totally agree with you.

So, I just got done re-watching the movie with subtitles and I will have to admit that it did sway my opinion of the movie to a more positive position. I am now looking forward to the sequel, although not quite begging for it as I was the first movie.

I really do like this version of Sheryl and Ranka much better than in the show. Sheryl isn't such a huge bitch, and Ranka is 1000% less whiny and clingy. Ranka has more going for her in the "odds of winning Alto's heart" game. Sheryl is much more real, imo, and also has a strong chance of ending up as Alto's choice. Series Ranka is no match for Series Sheryl, though...

I got a 720p version of the movie and used the subtitle track that was linked on this forum, and I have to say that it looks S-E-X-Y!!! The audio track was top-notch and the picture was nice and crisp. It really did a good job of immersing me into the movie. Now, if I can just figure out a way to get the movie and subtitle track to play on the PS3... little help?

Just finished watching the subbed version. I think most of the positive and negative aspects have been covered by everyone on here, but here goes.

The positive. The movie is beautiful. The new footage, especially the backgrounds are just fantastic and they used bright colours throughout which really makes the movie stand out. The CGI was also excellent. That about sums it up for the positives.

I hated the movie. If you're easily offended skip over this because I'm about to tear into the movie.

The opening of the movie was very poor compared to the series. They should have just used the first two episodes from the series and taken it from there.

The music was nowhere near as well implemented as in the series. The songs felt like they had no flow, they would just stop and then another would start. No transition, nothing.

The fan service. Did we really need to have Sheryl shoving her breasts and ass at the screen? And was it really necessary to have Grace naked in the shower with nipples and all. It feels cheap and like a desperate attempt to sell the movie to the desperate and lonely.

Sheryl was my favourite character in the series, yet here we have her turned into your typical bimbo who's nothing but a pair of breasts running around for no reason other than to make them bounce.

The ending action scene and music combination was nowhere near the level of awesome that the last two episodes of the series were. The worst part is that they were clearly trying to emulate the ending of the series and it just makes the movie's ending mundane.

And the absolute biggest problem with the movie is that unless you had seen the series you would be completely lost in the story. Watchmen had the exact same problem. The movies are so directed at the fans that everyone else will be lost watching them.

I could go on but there is no point. And I'm sure I can't be the only one thinking that I could build a better movie by piecing episodes together. 2 hours is about 6 episodes. 6 episodes out of 13, totally doable and it would probably flow better than the movie.

The middle of the movie actually picked up a bit and it seemed like it was going to be really good towards the end but in the end the bad really outweighed the good. Hugely disappointed.

And like I said above, I hated the movie.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the "fan service" and nudity, although I don't understand why it's most vocal when it comes to Macross Frontier (perhaps because it's most recent). Both have been consistently featured minor elements in Macross and its later works from nearly the beginning.

Concert "Fan Service":

• In Macross Plus, Sharon Apple has her entire body in the audience's face during her concerts, too. She's even arguably in the nude at times.

Nudity (with clearly evident areola):

• In Macross DYRL, when Hikaru and Minmay are trapped, Minmay takes a shower; I believe to the tune of "0-G Love".
  • In Macross Dynamite 7, Elma is shown jumping into the hot springs nude while dragging Basara there to help him recover from his wounds.
  • In Macross Zero, Sara Nome sings in the nude, floating some rocks in the process while Shin watches.

Nudity and sexuality are everyday occurrences. Viewers shouldn't allow a small few minutes, perhaps less than 5% of the movie, ruin the rest experience for them.

Additionally, I've seen a lot of complaints about not being able to understand the movie, should the viewer have no knowledge of the TV Series. Was DYRL really any different? A large portion of the background was assumed and you really had to know the Macross TV story to appreciate its movie adaption as well; yet, DYRL is often hailed as a, if not the, Macross masterpiece.

Those are primarily the complaints that I've seen which I think are to common to Macross and a number of its other productions, yet simply aren't really called out (enough) with respect their individual pieces. If one's going to fault this particular movie for these faults, Macross in its entirety should be held accountable for them as well.

I, too, think that the fan service is getting kinda out of hand. To be honest, the movies and shows could do just fine to not have nudity in them. There's something about the gratuitous scenes that really irk me, too. As the previous poster noted, Sheryl's first concert in the movie was just too "over the top". I think it would have been much better if they found a different way to indicate the promiscuousness of her "black bunny" persona. I mean, the vampire thing and bondage and all that... that's good enough, imo.

@ Veffidas

I actually saw DYRL before the tv show and the movie works very well on its own. n fact it works better since when Hikaru and Misa get to Earth you don't even know if they're on Earth. Its not until you seee the destroyed ship that you realize that it is in fact a completely destroyed Earth and it really adds to the shock of the scene.

Plus DYRL was very different from the series. They knew they had to make changes to the story to cram it into a movie and they did. With Macross Frontier they were just trying to get everything from the series into the movie and it didn't work.

Regarding the nudity. It was never as bad in the other series. In Macross Plus it actually worked since it was just a hologram and it went with the whole mind control thing Sharon was doing. In here we have Sheryl thrusting her butt at the screen and sticking things down her shirt just so her breasts move. Did she really need to have her phone between her breasts so they would shake like that? When she was taking a break between songs did we really need a close-up of her breasts with sweat running down them?

If they're going to do it then keep it to a minimum and leave something to the imagination. And at least try to be tasteful like in MP.

Its like back in the early 90's when EVERY movie had a sex scene. Even as a teenager it got to the point where I was finding it ridiculous and just wanted them to get on with the movie.

I, too, think that the fan service is getting kinda out of hand. To be honest, the movies and shows could do just fine to not have nudity in them. There's something about the gratuitous scenes that really irk me, too. As the previous poster noted, Sheryl's first concert in the movie was just too "over the top". I think it would have been much better if they found a different way to indicate the promiscuousness of her "black bunny" persona. I mean, the vampire thing and bondage and all that... that's good enough, imo.

I completely agree.

I don't see the problem with the nudity at all. Its such a minuscule factor in the over all total of the movie that I barely notice it. Don't know why there is so much hoopla over it.

As for the rest of the movie, I tend to agree that it was a crammed/altered version of the series. However I enjoyed it regardless and can say that "hate" would be too strong a word.

The detail and attention they paid to the actual city was spectacular. Something we hadn't seen in the series. The one thing that did stand out as a little unnecessary was the free pub segways got, lol...it was cute when Ranka was using it for deliveries but then again when Alto and Sheryl were on a date and later when Alto was running off to a scramble...wth?

I agree the ending was not as climatic as the series, but as soon as I saw the snow falling it immediately brought me back to the ending of the original series with the love triangle sharing final words. In other words this movie leads you to believe Alto and Ranka end up together.

For the next movie I would prefer an original story without a single nod to the series.

In terms of the fan service movie concert, I'll speak to the complaint directly within Macross Frontier and the movie.

At least three points of Sheryl's character are evident within the movie: (1) she does whatever sells, (2) she understands (and perhaps cherishes) her status as a sex symbol, and (3) she likes to push people's buttons. Regarding the first, reference her conversation with Alto after he was scolding her for jumping off stage: she basically says she jumped to entertain the audience. For the second, reference her conversation on the trolley during the date with Alto, she teases Alto about her body being all natural and states that it's one of her selling points. Finally, the third: she shot her heart ammo at Alto and jumped off the stage, completely annoying him in the process of both.

Now, let's take the "fan service" of the concert within this context. Many have already stated that you thought it was included it just to get more viewers - thus, the case for this first aspect is already made with regard to her character. The sapphic imagery and her prominent bosom and bottom, i.e. fan service, in the concert easily evoke feelings of sexuality; the second aspect of her character through the concert is evident. For the third, the fact that Sheryl has managed to make many complain, effectively breaking the fourth wall and making the viewers' uncomfortable, proves she pushes people's buttons.

Therefore, her concert was completely in tune with her character and was a resounding success. The say otherwise is to possibly cherry pick and perhaps not fully appreciate Sheryl's character. (Plus, the movie completely rid itself of Nanase, who arguably had a larger chest than Sheryl's!)

-----

Regarding the Macross Plus points: so, just because Sharon Apple is a box in the wall, she's allowed to exploit the audience's sexual desires? But because Sheryl Nome is a real person, she can't? That seems rather unfair since the audience in both cases are humans.

Additionally, Macross Plus itself had plenty of of its own fan service. When Sharon was playing mind games with Myung, did she really need to appear nude with one of her visual representations? (After all, Sharon had intimate knowledge of Myung's past and knew she wasn't homosexual.) When Sharon finally got around to strangling Myung, bondage-style, was it really necessary to have close ups of the Myung's bosom and bottom being wrapped around and through and tightened by the cables? Was that really tasteful?

I'd just like to state that I like *flightsuit* Grace. There was none of that in this movie, so I'm disappointed.

There's always the second film for that!

I'm another who's got nothing against the fanservice. I mean it doesn't make the film any less entertaining, so i've got nothing against it.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to get the movie and subtitle track to play on the PS3... little help?

Unfortunately the PS3 only supports the subtle option when its playing a movie disc. So you have to either re-encode the whole file with hard subtitles burned on the video itself or burn it onto a simple DVD-R movie disc.

That's horrible. :(

Just remember its completely her own fault for not sleeping with the producer :lol:

I'd just like to state that I like *flightsuit* Grace. There was none of that in this movie, so I'm disappointed. You can find random pointless shower scenes anywhere.

In the mean time contact Martin Perreault and have him organize a *flightsuit* Grace cosplay photoshoot with his girlfriend Bianca Beaucham. Provided you have the money they will be more then happy to fullfill your latex fetish... or so I hear :unsure:

Then of course don't forget to post all the pics in the charater art appreciated thread :lol:

Edited by Freiflug88

Oh yeah--I don't like "pink monsoon" at all. Worst song in all of Frontier.

I don't know what your'e talking about, but I loved Pink Monsoon. Only song on the Universal Bunny album I wasn't big on was Gira Gira Summer.

Edited by Keith

Saw the subbed version. Few thoughts echoing the others who already posted

- decent visual eye candy (enough new animation to make it worth while)

- too much pointless fan service

- feeling that the story was slightly disjointed and didn't quite fit right

- story could've been done better

- a few corners got cut... like the macross attack into the Vajra ship... couldn't they have done one specifically for the movie and not cut and paste the one from the series

I think overall, the story suffered a little, and the eye candy was set up almost like a distraction.

Seemed like most of the songs from the Universal Bunny album were not in the movie. Unless I just missed them? :unsure:

I didn't hear-

Eien

Izolado

Gira Gira Summer

Tenshi ni Nacchatta

Aenai Toki

Of that group, I would love to have Eien playing somewhere. Plus Gira Gira Summer seemed like it would have fit Alto and Sheryl's date more, though was happy to hear Pink Monsoon. To me they recorded a whole mini album for the movie but resorted to using many of the older songs. I liked Diamond Crevasse, Lion, and Yousei in the movie, but the rest could have been replaced with the new songs.

I just want to point out a big reason I love Macross... the attention to detail in combat sequences. Huge example of this is when Battle Frontier was about to take its first shot at the Vajra battleship. If you look closely as it's firing, you actually see its engines burst a moment before firing the buster cannon to absorb the recoil. I didn't notice it when I saw it the movie for the first time, due to the low resolution of the feed. However, I had to replay that several times when I saw it in 720p just to admire that kind of attention to detail. Bravo!

Also, I LOVED the sequence where Alto was being chased by 15 or so missiles and the in-cockpit perspective showed both him struggling with the g-forces from his maneuvers and the missiles twisting and winding behind him, attempting to hit their mark.

I don't know what your'e talking about, but I loved Pink Monsoon. Only song on the Universal Bunny album I wasn't big on was Gira Gira Summer.

Gira Gira Summer is one of my favorite Sheryl songs :p.

I rather like Pink Monsoon. Plus i found that it fit quite nicely into the play date between Sheryl and Alto.

Watched the movie now and have to say that I agree with those of you that feel that the story is just a tad disjointed. I can't quite put a finger to it, but the pacing is just a bit awkward, but i guess its to be expected when one is trying to cram so much storyline in a 2 hour film. I'm also not sure if people who had not seen the series could follow the film but I guess we'd need to find someone who has not seen the series to enlighten on us on that topic.

Having said that, I enjoyed myself immensely nevertheless. The movie is at many points pure eye candy with amazing visuals and backgrounds. All the vistas of Island 1 and the rest of the Frontier convoy are mind blowing and really convey a sense of scale and space not present in the series. Sheryl's concert was also pretty incredible ..couldn’t help but remind me of Sharon Apple’s concerts in Macross Plus.

Characterwise, I think the writers realized that they really needed to boost Ranka's character to make the triangle more credible. Alto was also given a bit more poise than in the series.

I liked that by Sheryl saying her grandma (Mao Nome) thought Aimo was a song of the protoculture, they provide a neat link to DYRL were Oboeteimasuka was also a song of the protoculture.

does anyone know if the DAINAMU song that ranka does in the mecha exhibit is on the soundtrack? I gotta have it!

You know, until someone mentioned it, I didn't even notice that Nanase was missing!

Plus, the movie also had me liking Ranka a lot more, even though I already liked her.

Poor girl, written off completely. jeez, she's probably the only one. even Canaria still had her say.

No wonder gubaba has been relatively quiet in this thread. :p

So I finally got to see the movie last night. I have a bad copy (or my PC couldn't handle the high def. it kept skipping at parts), so i'll reserve judgment until i get a better copy. but as a first impression, i liked it. is it possible to like Sheryl even more than in the series? I guess so! Irrational Sheryl Fanboy is back! :D

eh, I didn't mind the fan service at all, I thought it was enough...unlike stuff like ikki tousen which is ridiculous, just my opinion.

Agreed that alot and probably too much is crammed into the movie. I was going to show it to my brother who hasn't had a chance to watch frontier yet, (he's a fan and

has spent alot on valks too), but I don't think he'll understand what's really going on without watching the series, or at least care about any of the characters. I dunno, maybe I'll make him the experiment and see what he says afterwards... :lol:

Edited by Negotiator

Spoiler alert, Ozma won't die, but Michel will!

After having read your comment I decided to watch episode 20 again - I must say it's still a tearjerker. I'm not too convinced Michel will die in the next movie. I don't know about the rest of you, but it seems to me that scene in the movie, where Michel's valk is blown to bits and Klan goes looking for him, is the equivalent of what we saw in episode 20...just with a twist. Though I must say, that whole scene in the movie isn't much of a tearjerker - at least not like it still is in episode 20. I can't imagine them pulling off another scene like that in the next movie where he actually dies. I think the impact would be much less felt. Who knows though...maybe I'm dead wrong.