Where to get clean copy of DYRL?

unclechopchop

I have a dvd copy od the movie, but it seems awfully dark/muddy. I am positive that it's the same copy that a majority of us have. The question is, is there anybody out there that has a super clear version? I know there was an HD version released back in '07, but unfortunately that did not come with english subtitles. So if there is anybody out there that can possibly tell me where to get a good copy, please let me know. This is something that has been bothering me since way back.

I have a dvd copy od the movie, but it seems awfully dark/muddy. I am positive that it's the same copy that a majority of us have. The question is, is there anybody out there that has a super clear version? I know there was an HD version released back in '07, but unfortunately that did not come with english subtitles. So if there is anybody out there that can possibly tell me where to get a good copy, please let me know. This is something that has been bothering me since way back.

I'll take a guess that you have the Macross DYRL “Perfect Edition" bootleg by FX because its the only one I know of with English subtitles. For the brightest and cleanest viewing experience of DYRL I would recommend ordering the HD DVD from yesasia.com and viewing it through your TV/DVD setup. Otherwise like all DVD video it will get muddier and darker after it gets converted to be viewed on a computer.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/the-super-dimension-fortress-macross-do-you-remember-love-hd-remastered/1005078830-0-0-0-en/info.html

just repeating what hurin said

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:31 PM

Okey-doke, here we go. . .

The FX Perfect Edition of DYRL is itself a bootleg. The only official DVD of DYRL is the Region 2 DVD by Bandai/Emotion reviewed here.

However, the FX DVD is not a digital "rip" of the official Bandai/Emotion DVD. So there are differences in quality between the Bandai/Emotion DVD and the FX DVD. Though the FX DVD does have a very nice picture, it's not quite as vibrant as the official DVD. The sound on the FX DVD also has quite a bit more "hiss" in the soundtrack. Having said that, the FX DVD is actually the better choice for those who will be watching the DVD on a computer since Bandai/Emotion mangled the mastering of the official DVD in such a way that it shows a lot of interlacing artifacts when played back on anything but a quality table-top DVD player in a couch/TV environment. Please see the review for details on this.

As for bootlegs of the bootleg. . . who knows. If the bootleg of the FX bootleg is a "digital rip" of the FX DVD, then there should be no quality loss at all. And, indeed, it might even still work with the "subtitle upgrade" procedure linked in my signature. wink.gif [Edit -- See ValkryieExchange's post immediately above. These newer bootlegged FX DVDs are apparently different and not based on the FX DVD at all.]

Best,

H

Edited by kyatsu