New Hip Lock Mechanism/Clear Canopy Question

Old Man

I'm curious as to which 1/60 Yamato's have been released with the new hip lock mechanism and canopy that's lacking the rainbow coating. I'm not particularly a fan of the rainbow coating, and I'd like to avoid getting any of the older versions if possible. As far as I know, these are the 1/60's that have been released with the upgrades:

Hikaru VF-1J (w/ or w/o Armor Parts)

Max TV VF-1A

Kakizaki TV VF-1A

Mass Production TV VF-1A

Roy TV VF-1S (w/ or w/o Super Parts)

Max DYRL VF-1A (w or w/o Super and Strike Parts)

Kakizaki DYRL VF-1A (w or w/o Super and Strike Parts)

If you know of any that I missed, please post it here.

Go to Hobby search and find the pictures there will give you instant information.

The Low viz has new hip, rainbow canopy.

The new hip with clear canopy is started from TV VF-1S, you don't have much choice at this point if you are avoiding rainbow canapy and old hip.

I'm curious as to which 1/60 Yamato's have been released with the new hip lock mechanism and canopy that's lacking the rainbow coating. I'm not particularly a fan of the rainbow coating, and I'd like to avoid getting any of the older versions if possible. As far as I know, these are the 1/60's that have been released with the upgrades:

Hikaru VF-1J (w/ or w/o Armor Parts)

Max TV VF-1A

Kakizaki TV VF-1A

Mass Production TV VF-1A

Roy TV VF-1S (w/ or w/o Super Parts)

Max DYRL VF-1A (w or w/o Super and Strike Parts)

Kakizaki DYRL VF-1A (w or w/o Super and Strike Parts)

If you know of any that I missed, please post it here.

TV Max and the Cannon Fodder 1A both have the rainbow coating. It really isn't a big deal, though, because if it starts to chip or fall off it is very easy to remove. I did this with my original Roy 1S (with the bad shoulders) before I sold it and it if I didn't tell anyone it used to have the rainbow coating they'd be none the wiser.

I got from Angolz v2 VF-1J last week, suffered like 20 transformation so far with zero sings of stress in shoulders.Well i think that the actual problem with this is handling the toy.Shoulder ball joint is very stiff on mine, so for example if i want to articulate arm on either battrod or gerwalk mode without holding the shoulder assembly, i think i could easily bust it off. So whenever i want to artuculate the arms i unlock the diecast part holding the legs, grab that whole shoulder assembly nice and steady and rotate arm.Works fine for me.

Btw HoveringCheesecake how do you mean you can remove it? Is that like a sticker on canopy or what? This is my first valk so i dont know much about it:)

Edited by markoN1

TV Max and the Cannon Fodder 1A both have the rainbow coating. It really isn't a big deal, though, because if it starts to chip or fall off it is very easy to remove. I did this with my original Roy 1S (with the bad shoulders) before I sold it and it if I didn't tell anyone it used to have the rainbow coating they'd be none the wiser.

Actually, I have both new re-releases (late July 2010) of the TV Max and Cannon Fodder 1A, and they have the new hip lock mechanism and lack the rainbow coating.

I just checked out Hobby Search, and it's a very helpful tool, but the information given isn't necessarily complete. For instance, it shows the Hikaru VF-1J w/ Armor Parts having the rainbow coated canopy, while the one I ordered from AmiAmi in early June is lacking the coating, and has the new hip lock mechanism.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33184&st=0

Speaking of Hobby Search, though, has anyone checked out the price they were offering for the Max and Kakizaki DYRL VF-1A w/ Super and Strike Parts? Even though they're currently sold out, that is STUPID cheap! Too bad I didn't swoop up on that...I'm gonna have to keep an eye on them.

Edited by Old Man

You have to understand that the Armored VF-1J was re-released couple months back. The first release was old hip with rainbow coating.

For sure, I totally understand. I was just pointing out that, although it's a helpful tool, Hobby Search and it's extensive pictures doesn't always show the most current release. Do you happen to know if the latest re-release of the Hikaru DYRL VF-1A and VF-1S have the new hip and lack the rainbow tint?

Actually, I have both new re-releases (late July 2010) of the TV Max and Cannon Fodder 1A, and they have the new hip lock mechanism and lack the rainbow coating.

I just checked out Hobby Search, and it's a very helpful tool, but the information given isn't necessarily complete. For instance, it shows the Hikaru VF-1J w/ Armor Parts having the rainbow coated canopy, while the one I ordered from AmiAmi in early June is lacking the coating, and has the new hip lock mechanism.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33184&st=0

Speaking of Hobby Search, though, has anyone checked out the price they were offering for the Max and Kakizaki DYRL VF-1A w/ Super and Strike Parts? Even though they're currently sold out, that is STUPID cheap! Too bad I didn't swoop up on that...I'm gonna have to keep an eye on them.

I had no idea they already re-released those two without the coating.

I got from Angolz v2 VF-1J last week, suffered like 20 transformation so far with zero sings of stress in shoulders.Well i think that the actual problem with this is handling the toy.Shoulder ball joint is very stiff on mine, so for example if i want to articulate arm on either battrod or gerwalk mode without holding the shoulder assembly, i think i could easily bust it off. So whenever i want to artuculate the arms i unlock the diecast part holding the legs, grab that whole shoulder assembly nice and steady and rotate arm.Works fine for me.

Btw HoveringCheesecake how do you mean you can remove it? Is that like a sticker on canopy or what? This is my first valk so i dont know much about it:)

Once (or if) it starts crumbling off, you can have a go and just rub it away using water and a paper towel like I did. I think if you let it sit around longer the bond between the coating and the plastic of the canopy would become even weaker and you could take it off a lot easier. As I said before, I wouldn't let the coating prevent you from purchasing anything since it is so easy to remove if it becomes a problem. The exploding shoulders, on the other hand are another issue.

Edited by HoveringCheesecake

Well yes,

and what did they changed with hips in latest relises.Only better quality plastic or?

If I'm not mistaken, they made the hip locking mechanism a lot like the 1/48. Apparently people were having issues with it, and even some breakages. Instead of having to slide the hip bar up into the crotch, now all you have to do is drop it in and close the cover.

Edited by Old Man

If I'm not mistaken, they made the hip locking mechanism a lot like the 1/48. Apparently people were having issues with it, and even some breakages. Instead of having to slide the hip bar up into the crotch, now all you have to do is drop it in and close the cover.

yes, the new construction is easier to put in, but you still have to push it hard, the metal crotch is rubbing the nose cone plastic. For some reason, I prefer the old system because I think it holds up better with the physic Yamato intended. The metal crotch is forcing the cover to close and click in place, but the downside is you need to figure out the angle to do it. Once you get the idea to put it in with the correct angle, I think it works much better IMO.