It's guaranteed to make a killing at the box office, but it's not doing well among critics. As of right now, it's dropped to 62% on Rotten Tomatoes - just three points shy of falling off the "fresh" level. In comparison, Superman Returns is at 75%.

"Remember Brandon Routh from that godawful Superman movie? Jesus Christ! Thanks for getting our hopes up and taking a giant sh!t on us!" - Ted (2012)

Audience rating is 97% Most of America has not seen it yet.

What does this mean? Absolutely nothing...

"Remember Brandon Routh from that godawful Superman movie? Jesus Christ! Thanks for getting our hopes up and taking a giant sh!t on us!" - Ted (2012)

Was that supposed to be a "professional" review?

I pretty much expect what you said in your short review, but be fair about the composers. Both Zimmer and Williams rehash, it's their style, now that I think about it.. most probably do. Refer also to Danny Elfman and Alan Silvestri as examples.

Now... better than the originals? I'll have to wait till a midnight show, but, I will guess better than superman 2 and up. Both version of 2 even, the director's cut was awful IMO.

Was that supposed to be a "professional" review?

Not at all. It was part of Patrick Stewart's ending narration in the movie Ted.

From what I've read by the critics it's a lot of flash but no substance that makes it a Superman flick and not calling it superman.

So for the time being I'm just seeing it on 35MM until I know I like it.

I would hope it's nowhere close.

The original Superman movies aren't all that great.

I was just watching superman 2 last night. I'm not going to say it was a bad movie, but I had forgotten just how supremely cheesy that film is.

I was just watching superman 2 last night. I'm not going to say it was a bad movie, but I had forgotten just how supremely cheesy that film is.

It doesn't have the return value that I thought it had also. Especially the directors cut. Even the first one, which was great, loses it at the end when he spins the earth the other way.

This new one had great fights but the story and dialogue were contrived. Kinda meanders in the first 2 thirds.

Final brawl reminded me of Mac Plus where we ask ourselves, are we to believe that everyone is at the concert while the buildings are falling down around us? Looked great though.

Essentially, I feel like we got 2 remakes of the first 2 70's film with a different cast. This one is definitely better than that Bryan Singer crap but it's still not the great movie Superman deserves.

I felt the story was a disjointed at spots. Some spots felt like they needed something in between. Instead of A->B->C->D, it felt like A->B->D or A->C->D. It happened enough times to notice. It wasn't the full movie but with individual scenes. What was presented were things that needed to shown but how those scenes played out by themselves needed work. The action here is significantly better than Singer's version and we finally get to see things that Donner could never do back in the day, but yes, I can see why the critic reviews were not stellar.

Saw Man of Steel last nignt and it was okay. It's not the great Superman movie I've been waiting for, but at least it was better than Returns. The non-linear structure didn't bother me, but I felt seriously unengaged by the film. I also felt they did not deliver on the promise of making Superman relevant. They started it in the film and had a great hook for doing so, but again I never engaged. The script needed a lot of work, especially the dialogue which made so many of the scenes fall flat. I found the performances fine from all around, but the dead dialogue definitely hurt all involved (even Crowe). The only time I truly became emotionally invested was Superman's final action against General Zod, which was a wholly unexpected moment with a really powerful delivery from Cavill. I did like the presentation of the Superman powers very much, especially the problems of dealing with them as they manifested in his youth. This movie does a fantastic job of showing Superman in all his glory and I loved the new suit, which meshes wonderfully with the established Kryptonian costumes earlier in the movie.

The super fighting in the film was quite a blast. We've never seen super-powered battle quite like this before. However, I will say the action dragged on for too many lengthy scenes and felt really over-indulgent, especially without the emotional engagment to back them up or give them weight. Compare these action sequences to those in The Avengers and the lack of investment in the characters involved (and the lack of good dialogue) becomes painfully aparent. Another thing that also bothered me greatly was the production design of the Kryptonian technology. Nearly everything there felt visually lifted from other sci-fi films, particularly The Matrix movies. If I once again compare this film by contrasting it to a medicore modern sci-fi movie like Oblivion, you can see how Man of Steel lacks anything as visually interesting as the production design of Kosinki's otherwise forgettable film.

Man of Steel is a 3 out of 5 for me. Entertaining enough and packed with action, but not enough character or relevance to make it anything worth revisiting.

Saw it in Malaysia last night. Mediocre at best, but no doubt it will do well at the box office.

As much as the previous installment was considered a let down, I still think Superman Returns has more heart to it and is a much better film overall. Several things in particular that I really dislike about Man of Steel:

1) They keep talking about how humans would become scared if they learn of the existence of aliens, and yet we barely get to see how the public reacts when Superman reveals himself

2) We are talking about a GLOBAL encounter with a alien lifeforms here. Why in the world is only a small military unit involved here? Perhaps the director wants to keep the story small? Seems like they had raised a bunch of issues that they forgot to deal with. The Transformers films did a much better job in this regard

3) The final super fight was dragged out, coarse and boring. There was nothing here that hasn't been done before

Interesting. Won't get to see it for a little while. Comments here ranging from "epic" to "underwhelming" seem to be quite interesting. Is it getting to the stage now, where it might be nearly impossible for a film to win everybody over. (if that was ever possible?) It just seems that so many broadening tastes and expectations seems to be making it harder for the likes of Hollywood to generate genuine crowd pleasers.

Just for the record. I think that the original Donner film was pretty good, especially for the time. The Lester manglement of the second film was a disaster, if anybody hasn't seen the re-edit of Superman 2 to make it closer to the Donner version, go out and see it. It's not perfect, but to me it demonstrates that Donner knew what he was doing. The only good sequence of Superman 3 was the bit where he was fighting himself after being exposed to the artificial Kryptonite. That was really good and seemed out of place in an otherwise crap film. Never seen Superman 4 properly and never want to. Superman Returns was disappointing. I think that Brandon was pretty good, but the rest of the cast was crap, especially the chick playing Lois.

I always liked the Lester cut of Superman 2. Yeah, it's cheesy and the effects don't hold up that well anymore, but I like that cut much more than the Donner cut, which is horrid and lacked all the nostalgic high notes I was used to.

Really doubt I'll want to own it on Blu-ray, so probably not going to bother with this one until I can stream it. The only credit I gave to Superman Returns was that they didn't bother with the damned origin story again. I increasingly hate the cliches of origin stories. Just start the movie and get on with the plot for established characters and franchises. Do a flashback here and there, if they must... Don't want to watch ANOTHER Bruce Wayne crying about his mom and dad, or ANOTHER Peter Parker getting bit by the damned spider, etc etc

Have not seen it yet...but I had a question for those that have....Does the world envisioned in the Dark Knight trilogy fit into with the world as envisioned in Man of Steel?

In other words, can Batman as seen in the latest trilogy be a part of the world of Man of Steel.....essentially a DC Universe? How about Green Lantern?

The Marvel movies have done an excellent job of doing just that....heck, even Spiderman and X-men could easily cross-over even being created by different studios.....DC character movies have failed at trying to make one believable DC universe......... ;)

Have not seen it yet...but I had a question for those that have....Does the world envisioned in the Dark Knight trilogy fit into with the world as envisioned in Man of Steel?

In other words, can Batman as seen in the latest trilogy be a part of the world of Man of Steel.....essentially a DC Universe? How about Green Lantern?

The Marvel movies have done an excellent job of doing just that....heck, even Spiderman and X-men could easily cross-over even being created by different studios.....DC character movies have failed at trying to make one believable DC universe......... ;)

no.

However, it only takes a few execs to say they want it like that. They could always shoehorn them together in some way. I think Zac would rather have a different batman tho.

loved it

no hint of super girl other than the opened pod :(

I just saw it and I feel the same way. I think that anyone disappointed with the movie had expectations that are beyond the scope of any movie to move anyone THAT significantly. When was the last time any of you were "blown away" or won over that much by a movie? I'm not saying that it doesn't happen, but it certainly doesn't happen often because people are difficult to impress and aren't easily won over by anything, anymore.

Personally, I wasn't too fond of the jumping back and forth between past and present, but the portrayal of Clark Kent, from a young boy, to an angry teen, to an isolated and lost young man who eventually became Superman, was powerful, provocative and moving enough to have my attention riveted to the screen, in the hopes that I could experience the path that Kal-El took to becoming the Man of Steel. The action scenes were......."messy," if I can call them anything, but I wouldn't have expected anything more or less if Kryptonian super beings were to engage themselves in a battle to the death, therefore they made perfect sense to me.

In any case, I plan to see Man of Steel more than once, as this movie struck a personal chord within me, but it would seem that it failed to do so in many others. Se la vi...

Well I can say I see what they were doing with the jumping around but it just didnt work for me. I felt the writing was blah. They tried to have funny moments that almost made it but didnt work either. Everything felt to rushed and I didnt get excited by the fight scenes. I almost just wanted it to end early. It just wasnt an Iron man or Avengers for me. Of course I thought captain america and thor were blah too.

Well I can say I see what they were doing with the jumping around but it just didnt work for me. I felt the writing was blah. They tried to have funny moments that almost made it but didnt work either. Everything felt to rushed and I didnt get excited by the fight scenes. I almost just wanted it to end early. It just wasnt an Iron man or Avengers for me. Of course I thought captain america and thor were blah too.

I think that's part of the problem. Robert Downey Junior as Ironman is THE BEST comic-book to big screen adaptation and performance, and all other such adaptations will be gauged accordingly. RDJ brings such life and energy as Tony Stark that you believe he IS Tony Stark; you can't say the same about any other hero/actor combination, Cavil and Superman included, although I absolutely enjoyed this movie. Additionally, although I appreciate the character, I and many others have always found Superman/Clark Kent to be a rather bland and boring character. I mean, he's perfect, in every way, and has to try to be imperfect as Clark Kent in order to live among us. Does anyone really care about a guy that's perfect? Typically that doesn't draw a lot of attention or even provokes engagement from viewers. But if we're talking about the genius, billionaire, playboy-philanthropist Tony Stark who's as flawed as his Mark 1 suit? Now you've got yourself a story...

Edited by myk

Had the rare opportunity to see this movie without seeing 1 preview, or 1 photo -- or reading even one opinion or review ahead of time. The wife and kids thought it fun for Father's Day so we all went.

I was blown away. Farrrrr more than I was expecting. 9 out of 10 IMO.

The art direction, lighting, editing, pace, casting were all fantastic. Writing was a bit clunky in spots, and I found a few roll-of-the-eyes flaws that could have been avoided - but overall awesome.

And I now realize why the re-boot came so quickly after the last re-boot.

The crappy last one missed the chance to capitalize on bracing the masses for eventual disclosure.

Great looking humanoid savior alien comes to save us from ourselves and other space baddies. "We can work together if we do not over react! And heck - even fall in love and inter-marry eventually. Also added in was the message of 'waiting until 33 to start your ministry,' or uh - butt kicking THIS TIME AROUND.

( caught the WW Z promo before this movie - "Mommy - what is Marshall Law?" (oh honey - its the method our good gov. uses to protect us while they do away with societies unsavory folks - zoiks! ).

Hollywood is working overtime to brace the masses right now - IMO - for financial or social meltdown, marshall law and eventual disclosure.

Anyway - this movie is highly recommended. The designs of EVERYTHING were outstanding. Love the bug-beetle ships. All the costumes and all the mechanical devices were wonderful to look at. The transparent breather masks and all the imagination that went into this new movie were very cool. This truly is on par with some of the other well done super hero movies of late like the Dark Knight series, Thor etc. Iron man still supreme though.

I even LIKED Kevin Costner in this - that must be a great feat in itself! Recommended - go see this!

It's guaranteed to make a killing at the box office, but it's not doing well among critics. As of right now, it's dropped to 62% on Rotten Tomatoes - just three points shy of falling off the "fresh" level. In comparison, Superman Returns is at 75%.

Do we really read Rotten Tomatoes? RT has steered me wrong hundreds of time. I read Macross World. It only steered me wrong one time.

I think more and more people are looking to peer groups to review instead of "experts." Think of consumer electronics... People used to care about Cnet. I remembering watching an iPad review on Cnet when it first came out. The reviewer did a number of things wrong showing that they didn't play with the thing even for 5 min before shooting the video (I mean seriously, how can you screw up using an ipad?). These people are not fans, they just produce reviews thinking that people will watch anything they say. Now its all about user feedback from 20 different places.

just saw it.

reminded me of Tekken.

That was my only small gripe... The punching guys through buildings went on WAY too long.

enjoyed it but did not care for the forced romance with lois. also the climatic battle w/zod was good. main concern was why the story required Superman to take such a drastic "action" during the fight. perhaps someone can explain this better? always thought he believed all life was sacred. thanks in advance for sharing.