Mos-cah-to! Models

PetarB

5 hours ago, big F said:

In this age of 3D scanners and printers, how difficult would it be to scan a 1/72 one and make the adjustments for 1/60 and then print masters ?

A few months ago, I needed a $ estimate to scan, re-scale and print a 1/8 Lamborghini bumper. About one grand. That's just for one part! Also consider that when you scale UP, details become less crisp, less precise. Ideally, you scan large, print small.

It would be more cost-feasible to make new masters from scratch, especially that the 1/72 Hase VF-1 has different proportions to any of the 1/60 toys, so even a "direct, high-detail" (expensive) scan  of the booster would need considerable clean-up and modification.

6 hours ago, captain america said:

A few months ago, I needed a $ estimate to scan, re-scale and print a 1/8 Lamborghini bumper. About one grand. That's just for one part!

Yeah I was amazed how much scanning services cost just recently when a bloke I know wanted some work down. There will be a bit of a wait until 3D scanning comes down in the same way that 3d printing has. Perhaps when AR/VR really takes off there will be an uptake as people will want to be able to scan in grandma's ashes into their VR house :D

I can't wait to see what kind of goodies I'll get access to next year as there is some bits and pieces of the job that require 3D scanning...

- Brett

57 minutes ago, Return To Kit Form said:

Yeah I was amazed how much scanning services cost just recently when a bloke I know wanted some work down. There will be a bit of a wait until 3D scanning comes down in the same way that 3d printing has. Perhaps when AR/VR really takes off there will be an uptake as people will want to be able to scan in grandma's ashes into their VR house :D

I can't wait to see what kind of goodies I'll get access to next year as there is some bits and pieces of the job that require 3D scanning...

- Brett

I think right now it comes down to the hardware, getting a good 3D scan requires some very nice sensors, and sensors are not cheap.

Alternatively, we might get some better algorithms that let you get better results with crappy sensors, but there's a limit how much better it can get without better (more expensive) hardware.

They have a very nice and very very expensive scanner where my brother works and use it along with the rapid prototyping system they have to build mock ups before committing engineers to build it in the exotic metals normally used.

One of my old clients makes have one they use when scanning in clients dentures before using the data to make  new bits, along with using the data from cat scans and 3D X-rays . They even have a 3D ceramic mill. They did once say if ever I needed anything scanned I should just ask. 

The tech is out there just way too expensive for “normals” to buy and use in the shed at home currently. 5-10 years from now will be a different matter IMO.