Macross & Robotech game in unity3D, call for artists

SeminNV

You are getting it right now. The main demo I am working on is about a proper 3d person mech shooter. For the first time among all existing macross games. The flight demo is separated from it now, and iteratively it will converge to a reasonable simulation. It is not hard at all to add a cockpit view, but somebody should be involved in a cockpit devellopment. It means making a 3d model and all gauges, then I can programm it straightforwardly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

U guys lookin for people to help out cause I'm pretty good with animating

Thanks!

Right now the main bottle neck for the project is me. I am not quite sure what to do. Another clone of Ace Combat or HAWXs does not make much sense to me. I need to figure out the concept of the game more firmly, I have few ideas. Once this is done I will go back and aks for help one more time. And I hope that would be the last one till the game is done.

THanks for all support. The project is and will be continued.

Thanks!

Right now the main bottle neck for the project is me. I am not quite sure what to do. Another clone of Ace Combat or HAWXs does not make much sense to me. I need to figure out the concept of the game more firmly, I have few ideas. Once this is done I will go back and aks for help one more time. And I hope that would be the last one till the game is done.

THanks for all support. The project is and will be continued.

If you are looking for a unique gametype perfect for Macross, I suggest a Guitar Hero/Rock band type game using the plastic guitars. I mention this in the games forum and it's best suited for Macross 7 but could work for any of the series. You would play FireBomber Music with the guitar, but instead of a music video on screen, it would show a battle/fight sequence that would reflect how well you are playing. Like when you miss a note you get hit by a missile. And you could have multiplayer where the other people are playing a regular space shooter as diamond squadron.

Kinda wacky, but that would be my dream Macross game :)

If you are looking for a unique gametype perfect for Macross, I suggest a Guitar Hero/Rock band type game using the plastic guitars. I mention this in the games forum and it's best suited for Macross 7 but could work for any of the series. You would play FireBomber Music with the guitar, but instead of a music video on screen, it would show a battle/fight sequence that would reflect how well you are playing. Like when you miss a note you get hit by a missile. And you could have multiplayer where the other people are playing a regular space shooter as diamond squadron.

Kinda wacky, but that would be my dream Macross game :)

That is wacky, but it's unique.

Just throwing this out there. My idea for what, IMHO, would be the PERFECT Macross game, would be one based on the same concept used by Falcon 4.0/Open Falcon/Red Viper.

Dynamic campaigns, realistic flight characteristics (i.e., pros and cons to each fighter), limited armaments (i.e., not unlimited, albeit shitloads of micromissiles, but making them realistic in a sense that micromissiles would deal about 2-3x the damage as going for guns with extremely short ranges, whereas more larger, conventional missiles such as High Maneuverable Missiles would be kill shots, but very limited in payload capability and long lock times). The ability to interact with other units (another Falcon 4-ism) such as ATC, AWACS, support, etc. Hell TBH, it could be done using the Falcon 4 engine, minus the transformation... no idea HOW that'd work out (The closest would be animating for GERWALK and having the flight properties change, which I've seen done once for a VF-1 that was in, I believe, MS Flight Sim 98 or something... it's been a long time since I played it, cant remember if it was FS 98 or what).

Dynamic campaign support though would be a huge bonus... i.e., fail to take out a Zentraedi or what have you support base, and in later missions, it can launch forces against you, basically coming back to haunt you (That was one feature I LOVED about Falcon 4- You fail a mission, you don't repeat, you just press on and hope you can adapt).

And of course, kick ass music. :0

ok guys lets start the discussion.

First off to prove my prof skills in the gamedev, here is "almost" completed commercial game I made recently

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14167855/Mech%20Smoke/MechSmoke_016.html

I state that right now I am pretty much capable of making games. Of course within reasonable men-hours

My problem now is that after these almost 4 years of gamedev as a hobby starting from 2007, I no longer find games fun at all :). Seems like because of this view of an insider. You know, like that of a seasoned gynecologist who no longer wants woman sexually.I just do not play them. And because of it I am not quite sure anymore what would be fun for a small public like macross / robotech fans.

My original concept was something like Ace Combat for the fighter mode and Max Payne or Gears of War if you like for the robot mode. As I already said, this does no longer sound fun to me. I would not play this myself now.

My main partner in this endevour, Sakura Subjiguy from here, also never told me what she wants except an ability to replace a texture and visually customize the airplanes like cars in Need for speed series. This is very much possible, but I doubt it can me in the heart of a game. It is just a way easier to mod HAWX or microsoft flight sim or even GTA series from what I saw on youtube.

Edited by SeminNV

ok guys lets start the discussion.

First off to prove my prof skills in the gamedev, here is "almost" completed commercial game I made recently

https://dl.dropbox.c...hSmoke_016.html

I state that right now I am pretty much capable of making games. Of course within reasonable men-hours

My problem now is that after these almost 4 years of gamedev as a hobby starting from 2007, I no longer find games fun at all :). Seems like because of this view of an insider. You know, like that of a seasoned gynecologist who no longer wants woman sexually.I just do not play them. And because of it I am not quite sure anymore what would be fun for a small public like macross / robotech fans.

My original concept was something like Ace Combat for the fighter mode and Max Payne or Gears of War if you like for the robot mode. As I already said, this does no longer sound fun to me. I would not play this myself now.

My main partner in this endevour, Sakura Subjiguy from here, also never told me what she wants except an ability to replace a texture and visually customize the airplanes like cars in Need for speed series. This is very much possible, but I doubt it can me in the heart of a game. It is just a way easier to mod HAWX or microsoft flight sim or even GTA series from what I saw on youtube.

The real challenge is to create a hybrid of the two - incorporating all three modes of Valkyrie!

IMHO the best scenario is to have online "sandbox" maps that players could join and battle each other (e.g. Battlefield franchise) with various valks and even (if the fanbase wants) Varuata and Zentradi mecha.

Space maps, air maps, land / air maps. etc... are easier to develop in that environment, since there is no need to create a story or have event triggers and all that stuff. Unless a team is willing to spend hours and hours developing a story for the game, it is better to just provide the "tools" for the players to make their own fun and concentrate on tweaking the game balances.

It will all depend on what game engine you use or if you create a custom engine for the game.

Just my thoughts B))

Edited by Zinjo

I'm the contrarian here. A game without an engaging storyline keeps me playing for about one session. A game with a defined storyline keeps me coming back for more. In the case of a fan game, the question becomes: fan-fiction storyline or canon storyline? And how do you incorporate vehicles from across not only timelines, but franchises as we know that you've been steadily referring to this as something that appeals to both Macross and RT fans. If there are modding tools, maybe we'll make an Aria mod... provided the gameplay itself is remotely fun.

Oh, and Ace Combat by air, Max Payne by ground doesn't sound bad to me. It just has to capture the frenetic pace and dynamism of the Itano Circus, basically. I know I'm going to get a series of collective groans and flames for this, but when I figured out how to affectively play RT: Battlecry, I thought it was a blast. Easy, but there's something fun about knowing when to transform, how it benefits you. Jetting in somewhere, switching to Battroid to cut your velocity and enhance your maneuverability, then jetting back outta there. Fun.

I'm the contrarian here. A game without an engaging storyline keeps me playing for about one session. A game with a defined storyline keeps me coming back for more. In the case of a fan game, the question becomes: fan-fiction storyline or canon storyline? And how do you incorporate vehicles from across not only timelines, but franchises as we know that you've been steadily referring to this as something that appeals to both Macross and RT fans. If there are modding tools, maybe we'll make an Aria mod... provided the gameplay itself is remotely fun.

Oh, and Ace Combat by air, Max Payne by ground doesn't sound bad to me. It just has to capture the frenetic pace and dynamism of the Itano Circus, basically. I know I'm going to get a series of collective groans and flames for this, but when I figured out how to affectively play RT: Battlecry, I thought it was a blast. Easy, but there's something fun about knowing when to transform, how it benefits you. Jetting in somewhere, switching to Battroid to cut your velocity and enhance your maneuverability, then jetting back outta there. Fun.

I respect your differing opinion, however having participated in a few mod projects, I'll tell you the amount of work needed to create a story based mod or game is a LOT!

If a fan game is created, we must keep in mind that all the modellers, coders, map makers, testers, etc... have day jobs and can't work on this volunteer project for 16 hours a day, no matter how much they love it.

Hence my suggestion for a sandbox approach. The scenarios "players" themselves can create are far more imaginative than a dev team in my experience. Especially if the server side tools allow for a large number of server side configurations.

Server side adjustments could take the form of things like:

1. No gun pods

2. 200 round limits before reload is necessary

3. No GERWALK or Battriod modes

4. No Jet mode

5. City map with Battroid only limitations, no gunpods and only a knife (VF-17 would have an advantage, having built in guns).

6. Space battle map in an asteroid field

~ETC...

The configurations could be endless and you can't beat a player's imagination to discover the best advantages on maps with built in limitations.;)

I respect your differing opinion, however having participated in a few mod projects, I'll tell you the amount of work needed to create a story based mod or game is a LOT!

Yeah, I know that what I like in a game requires a lot of time and effort and consistency. Much as I support the HW2 mod coming out in pieces, as it becomes ready, I support this game being more open-ended, just so there's something to play and look at and inspire. I also hear you about the scenarios players create: I have fond memories of some of the simple games of yesteryear, where I was asked to fill in the narrative gaps. My memory of playing the original Zelda looks like the illustrations in the manual, rather than the 8-bit in-game graphics, because I filled in the narrative and details and went on an epic adventure that the gaming system couldn't possibly provide. Same with my X-Com war stories. That's the goal of a game, I think, is to engage you in such a way that you create memories of experiences.

Of course, I don't really enjoy most multiplayer, or rather pvp games, because as I already mentioned, I like narratives, particularly nuanced ones. Just beating the other team is a little light for me. I think my gaming heyday was during the era of Wing Commander -- wherein space combat was driven by an engaging storyline.

If SeminNV allows us some way to script scenarios, I would be totally interesting in building a campaign, if the game supports such a thing. It'd be a lot of work for very little payoff, I think. But, it'd be cool.

Truth is, I'll probably play it whatever it is and winds up being.

-Che

Of course, I don't really enjoy most multiplayer, or rather pvp games, because as I already mentioned, I like narratives, particularly nuanced ones. Just beating the other team is a little light for me. I think my gaming heyday was during the era of Wing Commander -- wherein space combat was driven by an engaging storyline.

If SeminNV allows us some way to script scenarios, I would be totally interesting in building a campaign, if the game supports such a thing. It'd be a lot of work for very little payoff, I think. But, it'd be cool.

Truth is, I'll probably play it whatever it is and winds up being.

-Che

Yeah, Wing Commander was epic and sadly, with the notable exceptions of Freespace 1&2 and Starlancer, there hasn't been a decent space flight sim since...:(

There was a Russian game with promise (essentially a freespace knock off) that came out about 5 years ago but it never left Russian soil...

Edited by Zinjo

I support this game being more open-ended, just so there's something to play and look at and inspire.

Why not do what they did with "Macross Plus - Game Edition"? Both a story-line mode and a versus mode. You could release the versus mode in bits and pieces as the models and terrain is completed, with a "storyline coming soon". Then, when there is enough of what you figure is needed for a storyline, develop that. One benefit to that approach is that it should generate interest in parties with the skills needed to help.

Of course, just going with the versus mode, there may be a way to work a storyline in. In short, what "Macross the Ride" is doing; and if I remember correctly, someone mentioned using elements from the Robotech universe - so tacking on a "Marvel vs Capcom" aspect.

Why not do what they did with "Macross Plus - Game Edition"? Both a story-line mode and a versus mode. You could release the versus mode in bits and pieces as the models and terrain is completed, with a "storyline coming soon". Then, when there is enough of what you figure is needed for a storyline, develop that. One benefit to that approach is that it should generate interest in parties with the skills needed to help.

Of course, just going with the versus mode, there may be a way to work a storyline in. In short, what "Macross the Ride" is doing; and if I remember correctly, someone mentioned using elements from the Robotech universe - so tacking on a "Marvel vs Capcom" aspect.

First of all, here here. I concur. That seems like the right idea.

Second of all, did you just settle once and for all the RT vs. Macross bad blood by suggesting a Marvel vs Capcom style crossover battle? I think you did. "Which universe is better? Hop in the cockpit and show your stuff, Hunter! Think you can take on Dyson here?" Of course... in the tuning phase of the game, all sorts of people will crawl out of the woodwork to suggest which has more thrust, a reflex engine or a reaction engine. Smirk. I love it.

• 1 year later...

This looks promising! I might be interested in contributing.

I've had a new VF-1 on the backburner, but I've mostly just been going crazy with the cockpit:

cockpit_geo50_3.jpg

cockpit_geo37_5.jpg

cockpit_geo46_AO_test2_2.jpg

cockpit_geo50_2.jpg

I'm a semi-retired game developer (most recent work on Call of Duty - World at War), and this might be just the thing to get me motivated to work on this stuff some more. I was planning to do game-rez versions of this model anyway (with textures baked down from the high rez models).

And yeah, if you know what you're doing, you can actually paint normal maps (instead of baking them) to great effect. Here's some game models I did with normals hand painted:

PBY_blue_nose_detail.jpg

King_Tiger_front_quarter.jpg

Baked is always better, though, if you've got good high-rez detail models. Likewise, baked ambient occlusion from a high detail model helps immensely for the rest of the texture work, not just the normals.

M16_variants.jpg

-Dan Bickell

....My borther..did you hand blog or homepage? please tell me ... i really like your work.. Are you work for ps3 or x box 360 ? game designer ?

It 's look like Normal mapping...high poly model....

Edited by djw1214

....My borther..did you hand blog or homepage? please tell me ... i really like your work.. Are you work for ps3 or x box 360 ? game designer ?

It 's look like Normal mapping...hig poly model....

Sorry, I don't have anything online these days. I don't even keep a portfolio online anymore. With the exception of this VF-1 model I've been slowly working on in my spare time, everything else I do is owned by my employers. All my recent stuff is from unannounced projects that I can't show.

Those last 3 images are old stuff from Call of Duty World at War and Black Ops. All of that is X360/PS3 resolution, with normal maps.

The plane (a PBY-5A) exterior model is 12,000 polys (although there is a 100,000+ interior model inside, which one of the game levels takes place in).

PBY_left_side.jpg

PBY_interior_tour9.jpg

PBY_interior_tour8.jpg

PBY_interior_tour7.jpg

PBY_interior_tour6.jpg

PBY_interior_tour5.jpg

PBY_interior_tour4.jpg

PBY_interior_tour3.jpg

PBY_interior_tour2.jpg

PBY_interior_tour1.jpg

The tank (a King Tiger) is about 11,000 polys.

King_Tiger_rear_right_quarter.jpg

King_Tiger_detail.jpg

Those M-16 variants were a demonstration of a modular weapon system I prototyped for Black Ops, averaging about 8000 polys per variant. That was designed for significant memory savings by only loading a set of parts that had about double the memory footprint of a typical weapon asset, from which you could get several different guns from (6+ for the price of 2). They never implemented it after I left the company, but they went ahead and used the art anyway (although they darkened the textures to make it look black like Vietnam-era, instead of the pre-Vietnam early model treatment I gave them that would have been appropriate for the time period they first used it in).

custom_AR.jpg

I'm still working on the VF-1 model (slowly...), and hope to have the thread updated by the end of the long weekend with the VF-1S head I'm working on. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=34651&st=0