Macross & Robotech game in unity3D, call for artists

SeminNV

Rather heavy VF-25 demo out.

vf25demo.th.jpg

It needs a good PC, because the model + the scene are very high poly, around 1.2M in total. The VF-25 model has also like 20 materials, so it is not game ready.

First install unity 3d webplayer:

http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

The demo

http://www.creativecodingstudios.com/Unity/index.php?show=MacrossRobotechGame/VF-25Demo

---------------------ORIGINAL POSTT

OK, I am back after a while to give here another try.

The project needs artists as always.

To be specific: there are about 10 models of VFs in different stages of completeness:

alleq.jpg

Uploaded with <a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us</a>

Would be nice if somebody could help me to push to modern graphical level. See as SV-51 an example of how it should be more or less:

sv51.jpg

Also you can help with athor models, but VFs have the priority at the moment.

Requirements:

10-20k tris, fully rigged and a bit animated. At least transformation.

also diffuse-normal-specular textures.

In case you do not know - you do not need to really bake normals. You can just generate them with a bit map. Then maybe draw a bit. It works ok for airplanes.

Optionally if you want you can make cockpit separately (as a separate model). In the model the cockpit should be just basic. so from distance it looks ok.

Here is current project build video:

UNITY 3D TEST

And screens:

aerofightv30.jpg

Old stuff:

Here is a bit old attemt in another game engine video

Planned gameplay features:

- Full airplane simulation including leanding gears with suspension, landing/take off, reasonable flight model

- Advanced damage model for VF. It means it will be possible to shot off some parts like arms

- Multiplayer. Almost the first point at the list

- 3 in 1. Reasonably detailed simulation of all transformation stages

- Inverse Kinematic for walking over different landscape. Bone controls for aiming

- Slow motion for shooting

- Customizable VFs. Different behavior for each.

Graphics

- Clouds system

- Day/Night cycle

- Water with reflection/refraction/waves

- Modern models (diffuse-normal-specular textuers support)

- Dynamic shadows

Contacts

Here or PM for the start

Edited by SeminNV

I love it. Depending on what format, I might be able to do some variations of the YF-21/VF-22 and YF-19/VF-19A (I have 3DS Max and Photoshop, been a while since I've done skins but why not?).

Any plans for other fighters? (i.e... the VF-25F/G/S or even... *pray* the VF-27?)

I think i did a slightly improved version of the VF-11 i released before, that seems to be the one you are using.

Maybe i will do someday a low poly version of my VF-25 model, that is still in work in progress, still upping the poly count, but been months since the last time i worked on it.

Are they all on scale??? Never knew the SV-51 was so big.

Forum layout changed too.

I don't get why mix macross and robotech together.

Edited by akt_m

This looks promising! I might be interested in contributing.

I've had a new VF-1 on the backburner, but I've mostly just been going crazy with the cockpit:

cockpit_geo50_3.jpg

cockpit_geo37_5.jpg

cockpit_geo46_AO_test2_2.jpg

cockpit_geo50_2.jpg

I'm a semi-retired game developer (most recent work on Call of Duty - World at War), and this might be just the thing to get me motivated to work on this stuff some more. I was planning to do game-rez versions of this model anyway (with textures baked down from the high rez models).

And yeah, if you know what you're doing, you can actually paint normal maps (instead of baking them) to great effect. Here's some game models I did with normals hand painted:

PBY_blue_nose_detail.jpg

King_Tiger_front_quarter.jpg

Baked is always better, though, if you've got good high-rez detail models. Likewise, baked ambient occlusion from a high detail model helps immensely for the rest of the texture work, not just the normals.

M16_variants.jpg

-Dan Bickell

I love it. Depending on what format, I might be able to do some variations of the YF-21/VF-22 and YF-19/VF-19A (I have 3DS Max and Photoshop, been a while since I've done skins but why not?).

Any plans for other fighters? (i.e... the VF-25F/G/S or even... *pray* the VF-27?)

I will send a bit later VF-21 and YF-19, they are already unwrapped and textured. But you can draw your color schemes, no problem. In fact, they are really good already, but missing normal and specular maps.

For the second question, please go here: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=macross&styp=m&btnG=Search. Download google sketch up, download the model of VF-25, export it to .dae format. I think you should be able to import it in 3ds max. The model is not bad, but kinda too high poly. Around 150k from what I saw. This is not a big problem, I can still put it in the engine for the next showcase demo, but for the long term it is not good.

I think i did a slightly improved version of the VF-11 i released before, that seems to be the one you are using.

Maybe i will do someday a low poly version of my VF-25 model, that is still in work in progress, still upping the poly count, but been months since the last time i worked on it.

Are they all on scale??? Never knew the SV-51 was so big.

Forum layout changed too.

I don't get why mix macross and robotech together.

The statement is that if there are 2 well done VF models in the same class (low poly here), they will look almost the same. This is not your model, though I had yours somewhere. This one was done by Sakura S... from here. It is ready for rigging and texturing. Yours was kinda far from that afair.

I can say I do not buy what toys makers or anime magic tells us. If you somehow put a pilot in all cockpits, you will see that indeed SV-51 is the biggest. Scale is not important at this stage at all. It can be fixed in 1 sec.

I want to have in the game all well know transformable airplanes. This is why for brevity it includes robotech as well. I do not want to trash talking about robotech vs. macross issues here. I just do not give a damn. I like VFs only, this is it.

This looks promising! I might be interested in contributing.

I've had a new VF-1 on the backburner, but I've mostly just been going crazy with the cockpit:

cockpit_geo50_3.jpg

cockpit_geo37_5.jpg

cockpit_geo46_AO_test2_2.jpg

cockpit_geo50_2.jpg

I'm a semi-retired game developer (most recent work on Call of Duty - World at War), and this might be just the thing to get me motivated to work on this stuff some more. I was planning to do game-rez versions of this model anyway (with textures baked down from the high rez models).

And yeah, if you know what you're doing, you can actually paint normal maps (instead of baking them) to great effect. Here's some game models I did with normals hand painted:

Baked is always better, though, if you've got good high-rez detail models. Likewise, baked ambient occlusion from a high detail model helps immensely for the rest of the texture work, not just the normals.

-Dan Bickell

Wow. I love your models. Yeas this type of quality would be awesome.

I do recommend painting normals, because indeed it is a way faster. But since there is no big hurry or deadlines if somebody wants to bake - why not? For AO not sure, so far it was not very helpfull for the look. But there is SSAO in the engine, it helps. Also I add detail textures (not in the video except SV-51).

I guess your models should be in .3ds or maya formats, so I can put them in unity without problems. I promise not to share them with anybody. Also in the builds, epsecially webplayer one, it will be impossible to recover them.

Edited by SeminNV

The statement is that if there are 2 well done VF models in the same class (low poly here), they will look almost the same. This is not your model, though I had yours somewhere. This one was done by Sakura S... from here. It is ready for rigging and texturing. Yours was kinda far from that afair.

Sorry for the mistake, it is just that from this picture:

http://img709.images...us/f/alleq.jpg/

seemed that had the same mistake i made at the cannards.

Can't really see well from this distance.

I was just going to offer the other model i did, but since there is no need, ok.

Edited by akt_m

I was just going to offer the other model i did, but since there is no need, ok.

I will recheck anyway today's evening.

There are lots of stuff over the web, but usually not game-ready I would say. So if you want to see a particular VF in the game , please supply me with the model. Previously since I was almost alone, I tried to do everything at the same time. The quality level suffered from it. Now I want to focus on programming mostly. Would be nice if other help me with good quality 3d models, then both VFs and the game will be good for sure.

Edited by SeminNV

Actually, you are right akt_m; Semin did used your model on the picture. This is what my VF-11 looks like. I really love the curves on my VF-11. Since I now own the 1/60 Yamato model, I do hope to incorporate all of the fancy details. I really need to do plenty of work... :/

rvlwdk.jpg

I seriously need to retouch and add more details. The following is for fun only... <3 All that VF Type Plus! (Needs the VF-11 X_X;;)

2hq6is0.jpg

dr8h8x.jpg

As for the VF-25 or VF-27, I do not mind modeling that since there are plenty of information. I simply feel that the game engine needs to be worked on more-so before adding more planes in the mix!

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

Actually, you are right akt_m; Semin did used your model on the picture. This is what my VF-11 looks like. I really love the curves on my VF-11. Since I now own the 1/60 Yamato model, I do hope to incorporate all of the fancy details. I really need to do plenty of work... :/

I seriously need to retouch and add more details. The following is for fun only... <3 All that VF Type Plus! (Needs the VF-11 X_X;;)

As for the VF-25 or VF-27, I do not mind modeling that since there are plenty of information. I simply feel that the game engine needs to be worked on more-so before adding more planes in the mix!

Yes, Sir!

You know it is always hard replying your posts. I am not sure who you are addressing actually. So I will say something that is currently on my mind, do not know why though: "

!"

VF-25/27 - up to you, though I am not a big fan of MF. I think you are already having enough of work managing Macross Plus aircrafts.

Edited by SeminNV

You know it is always hard replying your posts. I am not sure who you are addressing actually. So I will say something that is currently on my mind, do not know why though: "

!"

VF-25/27 - up to you, though I am not a big fan of MF. I think you are already having enough of work managing Macross Plus aircrafts.

I thought that it is proper to quote and reply on the following paragraph. In this case, I am replying to you! On the previous post, half of that was replying to akt_m. And yes, Semin, you are right in that I am always busy!!

Edited by Sakura Shinguji

Well what is the preferred format you are using? Like I said, I think my best contribution would be in the line of doing paint schemes.

Also, just a side-note to whoever does any painting of the armaments. Please don't make the common Top Gun/Hollywood/Macross Zero mistake of putting a Blue stripe on missiles and weapons. Blue stripes indicate that they are inert weapons and therefore just paperweights... :lol:

I thought that it is proper to quote and reply on the following paragraph. In this case, I am replying to you! On the previous post, half of that was replying to akt_m. And yes, Semin, you are right in that I am always busy!!

Ok, ok. But you should have said smth like "Bullshit, you can be mine!".

As I said maybe better stick to Macross Plus stuff. Make VF11 unwrap as soon as possbile. Somebody for here can help you drawing texture. As I suggested long ago try to make control bones for armatures, they help sighnificantly in animation. Soon we will need it a lot.

Do not worry. I am working on the engine much more efficiently than previously. Keep you posted by email.

I'm glad y'all are back.

Thanks, even at exil I was always following your project.

Well what is the preferred format you are using? Like I said, I think my best contribution would be in the line of doing paint schemes.

Also, just a side-note to whoever does any painting of the armaments. Please don't make the common Top Gun/Hollywood/Macross Zero mistake of putting a Blue stripe on missiles and weapons. Blue stripes indicate that they are inert weapons and therefore just paperweights... :lol:

Sure, thanks for the tip.

PM sent. Formats of the engine - it imports all commom formats of textures and images. I work mostly in blender. But i can export in .fbx, .3ds , .dae. So there should be no problem.

Edited by SeminNV

So somebody from here wanted VF-25?

Rather heavy VF-25 demo out. It needs a good PC, because the model + the scene are very high poly, around 1.2M in total. The VF-25 model is around 150,000 tris and also has like 20 materials, so it is not game ready.

First install unity 3d webplayer:

http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

The demo

http://www.creativecodingstudios.com/Unity/index.php?show=MacrossRobotechGame/VF-25Demo

I am looking forward to artists who can help the game get good quality game models

vf25demo.jpg

Edited by SeminNV

If you want to use some parts of my model to maybe make it with a lower poly you are free to do whatever you want, don't even need to give me any credits. Sure it doesn't look as smooth as this one, but it is just 10k poly. The proportions aren't v good either.

I'm still trying to lower it to somewhere near the 5k tris.

Edited by akt_m

If you want to use some parts of my model to maybe make it with a lower poly you are free to do whatever you want, don't even need to give me any credits. Sure it doesn't look as smooth as this one, but it is just 10k poly. The proportions aren't v good either.

I'm still trying to lower it to somewhere near the 5k tris.

I saw your model. Not a bad start. Would be nice to see its finished. I think you are doing it for that strategy this is where the poly count limitation comes from I guess. For unity3d (or more specifically TPS/sim type of game) you can make models up to maybe 20,000k tris and several materials with different textures. This lower poly model with one texture that you are making I may use as a LOD for a higher poly version. Actually, nowadays it is not the pure poly count that matters, it is the materials count and their complexity. So 5k or 20k is more or less the same now as long as you do not use 20+ materials.

As I said before, it is all about finished models, means textured and preferably also rigged and a bit animated. Honestly, I am not a big fan of MF, so not sure I would ever make VF-25 (I am quite happy with my SV-51). What I would suggest you is maybe rework this vf-25 model (there are 3 modes) I just used from here (google warehouse -> macross)

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?q=macross&styp=m&btnG=Search

together with Starscream guy. Together you will draw good textures much faster. And textures are the most important for the look.

Also I contacted the author of the model, and maybe he would do it. We will see. It took me some time to export it properly in collada. So in case you have problem I can send it to you in a appropriate format.

Edited by SeminNV

I saw your model. Not a bad start. Would be nice to see its finished. I think you are doing it for that strategy this is where the poly count limitation comes from I guess. For unity3d (or more specifically TPS/sim type of game) you can make models up to maybe 20,000k tris and several materials with different textures. This lower poly model with one texture that you are making I may use as a LOD for a higher poly version. Actually, nowadays it is not the pure poly count that matters, it is the materials count and their complexity. So 5k or 20k is more or less the same now as long as you do not use 20+ materials.

As I said before, it is all about finished models, means textured and preferably also rigged and a bit animated. Honestly, I am not a big fan of MF, so not sure I would ever make VF-25 (I am quite happy with my SV-51). What I would suggest you is maybe rework this vf-25 model (there are 3 modes) I just used from here (google warehouse -> macross)

http://sketchup.goog...p=m&btnG=Search

together with Starscream guy. Together you will draw good textures much faster. And textures are the most important for the look.

Also I contacted the author of the model, and maybe he would do it. We will see. It took me some time to export it properly in collada. So in case you have problem I can send it to you in a appropriate format.

Actually it is a low poly version of another model i did, that already transforms.

textures were incomplete.

http://www.macrosswo...attach_id=64565

Edited by akt_m

Actually it is a low poly version of another model i did, that already transforms.

textures were incomplete.

http://www.macrosswo...attach_id=64565

looks nice. How many polys? If you want it (now or later) I can easily put in the demo I just did, add animation controller. Though right now I have no gardian/battloid controls. But it will fly.

Hopefully I'll be able to post some of the SV-51 recolors for the game soon. Just been bogged down with work and flying. But I definitely think I have a few good ideas including a Soviet-style aggressor scheme, and an experimental test scheme (i.e., how it would possibly have looked when in development with Sukhoi markings).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

weekly update.

Basically, the main macross-zeroish scene is done:

volumetric clouds, atmospheric scatterring, god rays and ocean

airplane has working landing gears, not retracting at the moment, and all control surfaces: ailerons, flaps, elevators, etc

Video

vfs2010112823204828.jpg

Edited by SeminNV

Not that I am in any position to complain, I'm 100% for a Macross game of any kind that is in English and not 20 years old, or super-arcade-ish, but you REALLY need to work (or have someone work) on the flight model. Screw graphics, make the bird fly first, then make it look nice. What is currently implemented scarcely even resembles flying. Again, I'm all for the project, and would even be interested in helping later on when the engine is in place, but right now it doesn't look like any kind of fun to fly.

I understand, that's a good point. I guess flight model is a long term thingy. From time to time I go back to it and improve it. It just needs several iterations. As for graphics, my arguements were simple from the start: there is already YFlight, so if I do not make good graphics from the start, there is no point in this project. And besides, I just like it. Anyway, my main concern at the moment is 3d person controls and robot mode handling.

Edited by SeminNV

I see where you are coming from. But I'm not talking a FSX or X-plane quality realistic flight model that takes into account altitude, air temperature and the alignment of the planets for flawless air-model re-creation, just some basic Newtonian logic, and lift centric flight.

It also makes a lot more sense if the mech modes (Battroids) are a bigger focus. I've seen a lot of mods for games that give you a VF-1 looking jet, but I've yet to see any that let you land in Battroid and walk around.

This may have already been asked, but are there plans for interior cockpit views later on? THATs something I'm really interested in.

Oh, and Dan Bickell, That cockpit looks mind-blowingly amazing! It would be awesome if you posted a separate threat to keep us posted on your progress!