Have Bandai improved ?

Nicaragua

First of all Hi, im new to these forums but have been a Macross fan for many years.

I was looking for a bit of advice. I currently have quite a large collection of the Yamato and Bandai 1/72 toys and have just started rebuying my collection as 1/60 with a few of the Yamatos. My question is how good are the new Bandai 1/60 like the VF-27 and do they look OK amongst a collection of mainly Yamatos ? I only ask because my Bandai VF-17 and VF-19 Fire stick out like a sore thumb and look cheap in comparison to my YF-19, YF-21, VF-1, VF-11 etc. Any advice would be most appreciated.

First of all Hi, im new to these forums but have been a Macross fan for many years.

I was looking for a bit of advice. I currently have quite a large collection of the Yamato and Bandai 1/72 toys and have just started rebuying my collection as 1/60 with a few of the Yamatos. My question is how good are the new Bandai 1/60 like the VF-27 and do they look OK amongst a collection of mainly Yamatos ? I only ask because my Bandai VF-17 and VF-19 Fire stick out like a sore thumb and look cheap in comparison to my YF-19, YF-21, VF-1, VF-11 etc. Any advice would be most appreciated.

they have improcved but still have a little bit of the chunky monky appearance in them.

The best way is to compare the modes with the lineart from the show.

Sometimes it can look good in one mode or viewed at a certain angle and then you might think it sucks at another angle or look bad in another mode.

If they can get it to resemble the thing in the cartoon/movie/lineart whatever as close as can be and good in all modes, that is a sign of improvement to me.

I think the upcoming monster will be my next bandai purchase. I'd buy the lucifer now if you are a fan of the mecha, but I think I would keep it in fighter mode mostly.

In comparison to the old VF-17 and VF-19, the new Bandai VF-25/27 toys are much better in terms of looks.

The VF-27 toy in particular is considered top-notch. The VF-25 toy however, may have some details that might be disappointing.

This site is a great place for photos and in-depth reviews of Macross toys.

Edited by Vifam7

Thanks for the help, looks like I’ll be ordering a VF-27 soon. I wasn’t much of a fan of the VF-25 in Frontier anyway, It looks far too similar to a VF-1 and I don’t feel as inclined to get yet another F-14 looking toy.

Fingers crossed for a Yamato VF-17 !

I guess the problem is that through the last decade Yamato has transformed the Valk toy into a realistic model/collectible that can be sold at very high prices...so Bandai cannot stick to chunky, sturdy and fun (affordable), in an attempt to market their first Valk in some years, they fail with an overpriced, crappy, and utterly ugly VF-25 (that is neither comparable to their classics nor their competitors). The release of the VF-27 proves they were slacking off, and riding on the Yamato-set price bar.

By this I don't mean Yamatos expensive Valks are indestructible or the epitome of Valk toy making, I guess what I am saying is that Bandai owes the VF-25 an apology.

By this I don't mean Yamatos expensive Valks are indestructible or the epitome of Valk toy making, I guess what I am saying is that Bandai owes the VF-25 an apology.

Yeah, I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews on the VF-25, and by all accounts, it seems everyone is displeased with it. That's a shame, cause it doesn't look like Yamato will get the chance to make one of those, at least for a long time. Personally, I have decided to only get the Yamato valks unless something truly groundbreaking comes from Bandai at the 1/60 scale. It sucks that these things are so expensive though. I would love to have a squadron of valks, but it's just not feasable at $200 a pop. While I really like the Yamato valks, and think for the most part they are built well (once the inevitable second version comes out that fixes whatever problems the first version had), I still think they're overpriced. Really, when it comes down to it, if you're paying $200 per toy, it should basically be perfect the first time out, IMO. I mean, it's not like buying a $5 GI Joe toy that has two left arms. Going out and getting another $5 replacement isn't a big deal.

Edited by pud333

Yeah, I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews on the VF-25, and by all accounts, it seems everyone is displeased with it. That's a shame, cause it doesn't look like Yamato will get the chance to make one of those, at least for a long time.

I think the 25 is messed up because Bandai likes to Gundamize everything they make. The chunky style is there signature mark which really doesn't help if you're gonna make something line art accurate that is suppose to be a plane. My VF-25 has been in fighter mode ever since I got it and it's gonna stay that way forever.

I think the 25 is messed up because Bandai likes to Gundamize everything they make. The chunky style is there signature mark which really doesn't help if you're gonna make something line art accurate that is suppose to be a plane. My VF-25 has been in fighter mode ever since I got it and it's gonna stay that way forever.

Interesting. Thanks for that bit of insight. Gundam never really did anything for me, so I haven't really touched the stuff. The fighter mode definitely seems to be the best of the three. I hope this "good enough" mentality isn't a trend with these companies.

Interesting. Thanks for that bit of insight. Gundam never really did anything for me, so I haven't really touched the stuff. The fighter mode definitely seems to be the best of the three. I hope this "good enough" mentality isn't a trend with these companies.

While the offical design of the VF-25 may have some Gundam elements, the idea that Bandai somehow directly influenced the look is without any proof. Besides, Kawamori himself is a Gundam fan so it's not surprising he himself would insert a few elements.

Also, while the DX VF-25 toy is chunky looking, the model kits and VF100s which are also made by Bandai, does not convey that image.

If they keep improving that's what matters in the end though.

Since the only vf-25 toy out there is the one from bandai I feel as if they can relax. If yamato could do one you might see bandai want to improve more quickly just because of the threat of a competing company.

Yamato have got macross zero, bandai have frontier. It'd be good if bandai did some mac zero stuff (perhaps a destroid) and yamato could do some frontier things. (vf-171?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Question: What is the likelihood of Bandai revisiting the 1/60 Chogokin VF-25 figures and making improvements? (Most notably changing the stumpy landing gear, adding swivel thighs, etc.) Has Bandai done this in the past for other toys? Because I want the Michel and Ozma VF-25 valkyries, but I'm wondering if I should hold out just in case they get improved releases, or if I should just say screw it and get them as is right now considering I can find some deals online?

Edited by pud333

Question: What is the likelihood of Bandai revisiting the 1/60 Chogokin VF-25 figures and making improvements? (Most notably changing the stumpy landing gear, adding swivel thighs, etc.) Has Bandai done this in the past for other toys? Because I really want the Michel and Ozma VF-25 valkyries, but I'm wondering if I should hold out just in case they get improved releases, or if I should just say screw it and get them as is right now considering I can find some deals online?

It all depends on a lot of things...

did they do well in the marketplace?

if they didn't do well then how are the other Macross items doing?

if any, which macross toys are doing well? The ones that are priced less or the big ticket items with the super detailed sculpt?

If any of the Macross toys do well enough then they'll continue the line and depending on what the customers want then it'll ensure more Macross toys from Bandai. And if Macross is still lucrative then Bandai will rerelease the VF-25s, but unless there was great defect on the toys they released a VF-25 will have minimum changes on the molds. They did do a couple of changes on the 1/55 molds everytime it was released but they were very minute.

A complete redesign is probably never going to happen, but I'm not going to buy any unless it was. I just never liked the way the 1/60 VF-25s looked in Battroid.

Yeah, I've been reading and watching a lot of reviews on the VF-25, and by all accounts, it seems everyone is displeased with it. That's a shame, cause it doesn't look like Yamato will get the chance to make one of those, at least for a long time. Personally, I have decided to only get the Yamato valks unless something truly groundbreaking comes from Bandai at the 1/60 scale. It sucks that these things are so expensive though. I would love to have a squadron of valks, but it's just not feasable at $200 a pop. While I really like the Yamato valks, and think for the most part they are built well (once the inevitable second version comes out that fixes whatever problems the first version had), I still think they're overpriced. Really, when it comes down to it, if you're paying $200 per toy, it should basically be perfect the first time out, IMO. I mean, it's not like buying a $5 GI Joe toy that has two left arms. Going out and getting another $5 replacement isn't a big deal.

Does it really cost you $200 for one?

Cuz there are valks on sale that it sells for far less than that (the Max 1S is at $86 now before shopping). I am not sure the postal fee to reach you though.

Just want to raise this so in case your local shops are ripping you off and you are unaware of other alternatives to get them. :)

A complete redesign is probably never going to happen, but I'm not going to buy any unless it was. I just never liked the way the 1/60 VF-25s looked in Battroid.

I would just like longer landing gear so a figure like Michel can have the gun in fighter mode and swivel thighs. Heck, I'd live without swivel thighs since Gerwalk mode isn't something I generally would like to pose my valks in. Just the freaking landing gear. As it is, I am happy with the way the VF-27 looks like in all modes thanks to those changes.

Does it really cost you $200 for one?

Cuz there are valks on sale that it sells for far less than that (the Max 1S is at $86 now before shopping). I am not sure the postal fee to reach you though.

Just want to raise this so in case your local shops are ripping you off and you are unaware of other alternatives to get them. :)

Yeah, definitely deals can be had now. I'm more talking about when these things first get released. For example, the DYRL VF-1S is selling on HLJ for $150 US. The Vf-25 valks started out about $180 US, etc. With shipping to Canada and exchange, these things get around $200 and over. The local comic shops are worse. The Vf-27 on HLJ is on for about $140 + shipping, which would be about $170 cdn. Just checked my local import toy shop and they're asking $195 before taxes, which is an additional 12 percent!!! So I generally try to avoid them as much as possible.

Besides, Kawamori himself is a Gundam fan

I wish people wouldn't keep claiming this, when there is no evidence one way or another showing that when Macross Frontier was created, that Kawamori was still a Gundam fan.

Yes, there is some evidence that Kawamori was a Gundam fan 28 years ago, when SDF Macross was created.

I have no dispute with that.

But I have yet to see any evidence (that I am aware of), to show that he is still a Gundam fan today (please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

So yes, he may or may not be a Gundam fan today, or he may absolutely detest Gundam now. Unless the man himself says so, people shouldn't keep claiming he IS a Gundam fan and that Gundam influenced the Frontier VF designs.

At best we can say with any certainty Kawamori was a Gundam fan 3 decades ago!

Graham

Even if he hated Gundam at the time he designed for 0083, I bet he'd still have worked on it for the money---only the truly uber-rich can say "no" to a paying job. And he wouldn't have done a bad job or slacked off regardless---his reputation is at stake with every series he works on.

Working on something is no indication you like it. :)

More worrying, is that some people really think Bandai has nothing better to do than sabotages everything Macross.

Really? There are people who believe this? What could possibly be the reason for a company to get a license, and then put time and money into creating toys all in the hopes of sinking said brand in which they have a vested interest in doing well? Sorry, I'm pretty new to all this Macross history, but this makes no sence.

Edited by pud333

Really? There are people who believe this? What could possibly be the reason for a company to get a license, and then put time and money into creating toys all in the hopes of sinking said brand in which they have a vested interest in doing well? Sorry, I'm pretty new to all this Macross history, but this makes no sence.

because Bandai/Sunrise is still bitter and angry after all these years about Macross blatantly ripping off gundam, and have gone through all this trouble in order to ruin Mcross out of spite. Alternatively Bandai is just a collective of trolls who revel in the suffering of fan-boys.

because Bandai/Sunrise is still bitter and angry after all these years about Macross blatantly ripping off gundam, and have gone through all this trouble in order to ruin Mcross out of spite. Alternatively Bandai is just a collective of trolls who revel in the suffering of fan-boys.

it's true, plus, Macross totally slept with Gundam's hot stepmom.

Who gives a f^&* if Kawamori loves Gundam or not? His anime preferences don't change the fact that he approved the DX VF-25. That toy was very disappointing. The SDi figure that was just released is more poseable. It's sad when an SD figure is more poseable than it's bigger DX cousin or brother or whatever.

The DX VF-25 is a toy Bandai should improve and at least redesign some parts of. The VF-27 is proof that they can. The DX VF-25 is not even up to par with their SOC toys, and with Bandai having the license, I was expecting SOC quality on Macross designs. Like joints that can hold their position, not loosen up relatively quickly. Good range of motion. That kind of thing.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Who gives a f^&* if Kawamori loves Gundam or not? His anime preferences don't change the fact that he approved the DX VF-25. That toy was very disappointing. The SDi figure that was just released is more poseable. It's sad when an SD figure is more poseable than it's bigger DX cousin or brother or whatever.

The DX VF-25 is a toy Bandai should improve and at least redesign some parts of. The VF-27 is proof that they can. The DX VF-25 is not even up to par with their SOC toys, and with Bandai having the license, I was expecting SOC quality on Macross designs. Like joints that can hold their position, not loosen up relatively quickly. Good range of motion. That kind of thing.

Sigh...

The question was around whether or not Kawamori's love, like or lack thereof of Gundam influenced the design of the Macross Frontier mecha.

Not whether or not that love, like or lack thereof of Gundam had anything to do with the design, approval, build, quality assurance, etc. of the Bandai line of Macross Frontier toys and/or models.

The two points are independent of one another.

And to the OP's question. I would say Bandai has stayed the same. The overall quality of Bandai's Macross Frontier or other Macross toys and models is pretty much on-par with their other product lines. And those range in design and quality that would show Bandai putting forth tons of effort, to those that look like the interns designed them.

-b.

Sigh...

The question was around whether or not Kawamori's love, like or lack thereof of Gundam influenced the design of the Macross Frontier mecha.

Not whether or not that love, like or lack thereof of Gundam had anything to do with the design, approval, build, quality assurance, etc. of the Bandai line of Macross Frontier toys and/or models.

The two points are independent of one another.

And to the OP's question. I would say Bandai has stayed the same. The overall quality of Bandai's Macross Frontier or other Macross toys and models is pretty much on-par with their other product lines. And those range in design and quality that would show Bandai putting forth tons of effort, to those that look like the interns designed them.

-b.

I don't think Gundam influenced the design of his Macross F mecha. Ever since Aquarion or even before that, his mecha have been taking on a more slender and organic appearance. Sure Katoki's Gundam designs/redesigns are slimmer compared to Okawara's but they still maintain the boxy, mecha look we associate with mecha. With Macross F, Aquarion, Eureka 7, et al, Kawamori went for more curvature and slender frames. Closest things I can think of are Evas and Zone of Enders.

As for what will fit in, the only design I see from Bandai that would fit in best with a Yamato 1/60 collection is the VF-27.

I agree with Shin go back to the drawing board with the 25.

Just work on the 171's first then, release the improved 25's later.

This way Bandai can strech the license and have time to make the improvements.

Also they will be able to still produce another valk we want.

I hope they completely redo the 25s. While I'm happy I'm not dumping money into a whole other line, I really love the Armored Messiah Design. I didn't like the look of the toy but was doubly disappointed when I heard that the armor wasnt removable. IIRC.