Ground Vehicles in multiple scales

tundrayeti

Thanks for the feedback! When I get back to civilization, 3D printing is something to consider. I hope all goes well with the casting! - MT

No Problem MechTech actually a lot of manufacturers are using this process so I'm sure I will get good results. Well I got an email from the printers that production has started so we should see the masters in about 10 days or less.

okay guys quick update. The masters are almost done and should be here this week. Unfortunately, I have to travel to Texas on business, and I wont get them til Saturday anyway. Got all my mold making supplies in and ready to go. So molds on the 1/72 should be done over the weekend. Please keep those orders coming we are at about ten right now. I know some of you are waiting for the finished product photos so be patient should be in another week.

I saw the projected price tag for a set of 1/48 vehicles, and I would grab a set in a heart beat. Any chance of some of the other vehicles like the taxi and limo making it to 1/48 ?

Extremely possible. I have the most of the models done in 3D already, I will just have to do a couple more and of course any suggestions are welcome.

Okay everyone HERE THEY ARE!. the masters have arrived. I took the pictures with some 1/72 scale hasegawa figures for reference. I took one picture of each model as much assembled as possible and one with the parts laid out. For some reason the water truck was printed in 1/100 scale instead of 1/72 so I'm getting it redone but I'm posting the pictures of it anyway so everyone can get a look and make comments. Even though the detail is these looks really good I still have some sanding and priming to do so that the small imperfections will be smoothed out. For example the engine carrier/water tank isn't perfectly round. it's the interpenetration of a round object into the printing process. It has to break the curved surface down into tiny triangles or squares. So I will have to do a little sanding and priming, but they will look fine once that is done. the camera pics up more of these imperfections than the naked eye. I will be making some modifications to the forklift too it's a little wide. So please give me your opinions, I want everyone to be happy with these.

Thanks for your patience.

Boom Truck

post-7782-128724836556_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724844257_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724851938_thumb.jpg

tractor

post-7782-128724879189_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724900798_thumb.jpg

engine carrier/water tank

post-7782-128724911985_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724923732_thumb.jpg

water truck

post-7782-128724983906_thumb.jpgpost-7782-12872499361_thumb.jpg

AC/Power Truck

post-7782-128724995976_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724998769_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128725000428_thumb.jpg

Forklift

post-7782-128725002157_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128725014022_thumb.jpg

Gudpod carrier

post-7782-128725015789_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128725017287_thumb.jpg

post-7782-128724980577_thumb.jpg

post-7782-128725012543_thumb.jpg

Edited by tundrayeti

Wow man, they look great!! You overcome my expectations! Just tell me when I have to pay! :)

Thanks Cool8or.

I will leave a few days for comments and suggestions. in the meantime I will maybe do a wash on these to show more detail, do the sanding and primer work and then make the molds. I'll start taking money after the molds are made and tested. i will be taking another business trip this week so I wont have time to do much, so i will wait until Thursday for comments and suggestions. in the meantime i will order another water truck but i will be able to work on these in the meantime.

Awesome. I might have to make it 3 sets. One question, does the boom truck come with a hook as well or just the basket? In one episode you can see a similiar truck with a crane lifting a damaged valkyrie fighter. I can always use a few cranes in 1/72.

I designed it with the basket only but i'm sure with some minor modifications a hook could be put on. the posts for the basket go all the way through so you could just leave the basket out and put a hook on some wire or line and run it that way. I will see if I can do something like that and order it with the resized water truck.

Okay everyone HERE THEY ARE!. the masters have arrived. I took the pictures with some 1/72 scale hasegawa figures for reference. I took one picture of each model as much assembled as possible and one with the parts laid out. For some reason the water truck was printed in 1/100 scale instead of 1/72 so I'm getting it redone but I'm posting the pictures of it anyway so everyone can get a look and make comments. Even though the detail is these looks really good I still have some sanding and priming to do so that the small imperfections will be smoothed out. For example the engine carrier/water tank isn't perfectly round. it's the interpenetration of a round object into the printing process. It has to break the curved surface down into tiny triangles or squares. So I will have to do a little sanding and priming, but they will look fine once that is done. the camera pics up more of these imperfections than the naked eye. I will be making some modifications to the forklift too it's a little wide. So please give me your opinions, I want everyone to be happy with these.

tractor

post-7782-128724879189_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724900798_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Appers the 1/72 pilot cannot sit inside the tractor.

Ichijo

Hello,

Appers the 1/72 pilot cannot sit inside the tractor.

Ichijo

Yes it is cramped in there, but the lineart can be deceiving. the proportions are correct. but even the modern day tractors the navy uses have very small cockpits. I could modify it a little. I will show some more photos since we are dealing with objects that cannot bend like they would in the real world. the cushions are rigid and so is the pilot. it looks like he could get in there with a little effort. i am considering some small modifications. I had this printed in 1/100 scale and it seemed okay. I could bump up the size a little. Thanks for the input Ichijo. Well guys keep the comments coming. everyone has to be happy with the final product.

I was going to day the same thing about the tractor. It looks a bit small for a seated 1/72 figure.

okay after looking at the lineart more closely and comparing to my computer model I see where the problem is. I have a 45 degree angle for the other side of the tractor and looking at the lineart it is definately not 45 degrees. The angle is less steep. So what I will do is measure the pilot and modify the tractor a little. This will lengthen the tractor a little and i can give that guy a little more room. Thanks for all your input guys once we get this just right, the models can be scaled for all the other scales desired without my having to "fix" them then. So let's iron out all the bugs now. Basically all I have to do for this is separate the front and the back and stretch the middle a bit. I will use the Power unit as a reference.

The front wheels on the tractor and the power unit are the same size (or at least that's now it looks to me).

Boom Truck

post-7782-128724836556_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724844257_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128724851938_thumb.jpg

Hello,

The boom truck may need to enlarge a bit. If compare with the picture when the 1/72 scale gound crew stand next to the master.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/boomlifttruck.htm

There are no official specification/length and size. May be a good looking size should be overweight, by comparing with nowsaday working vehicles. Scaling IMAI 1/100 Macross Factory may not produce good result.

Ichijo

Edited by ichijo

Gudpod carrier

post-7782-128725015789_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128725017287_thumb.jpg

Do you have a Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 gudpod and place into this gudpod carrier?

"Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie" book from SoftBank Creative have a drawing of gudpod with gudpod carrier. May be it helps.

Ichijo

Hello,

The boom truck may need to enlarge a bit. If compare with the picture when the 1/72 scale gound crew stand next to the master.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/boomlifttruck.htm

There are no official specification/length and size. May be a good looking size should be overweight, by comparing with nowsaday working vehicles. Scaling IMAI 1/100 Macross Factory may not produce good result.

Ichijo

Well here i have a picture of a 1/72 figure next to the master at about the same angle as the lineart picture. they look pretty close to me. if you look at most modern military vehicles (and I can speak from experience) have very cramped cockpits they are definitely not built for comfort. Although I used the Imai 1/100 scale boom truck for reference, i did bump up the size a bit. Lets get some more opinions on this since this was the most expensive part of the printing. I think it looks fine, but lets get some more opinions on this. Also keep in mind that there is a bit of sag due to the fact that the wheels are not glued on or attached to the posts.

post-7782-128733282816_thumb.jpg

post-7782-128733290698_thumb.gif

Do you have a Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 gudpod and place into this gudpod carrier?

"Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie" book from SoftBank Creative have a drawing of gudpod with gudpod carrier. May be it helps.

Ichijo

unfortunately I do not have a gunpod in this scale. I do have one from a vf-11, it may be okay for reference purposes. Keep in mind that the Resin will flex a bit so it will give a little. I took measurements from some of the other scales for gunpods and kind of averaged them out. Worse case scenario, you have to sand the clamps a bit.

Well here i have a picture of a 1/72 figure next to the master at about the same angle as the lineart picture. they look pretty close to me. if you look at most modern military vehicles (and I can speak from experience) have very cramped cockpits they are definitely not built for comfort. Although I used the Imai 1/100 scale boom truck for reference, i did bump up the size a bit. Lets get some more opinions on this since this was the most expensive part of the printing. I think it looks fine, but lets get some more opinions on this. Also keep in mind that there is a bit of sag due to the fact that the wheels are not glued on or attached to the posts.

I think your boom truck interpretation looks on.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I will be traveling again this week. heading to Nashville but I will update the models while I'm there (tractor and water truck) It will give me something to do in my Hotel room besides watch Jersey Shore or House hunters. :lol: Anyway, I will be back home Thursday and hopefully this upcoming weekend start making molds.

Okay, quick update here. Made the modifications to the tractor and it looks much closer to the lineart now. The cockpit for this tractor is the same size as the AC unit which we all know the seated figure will fit in. I have also made some small modifications to the water truck. I made prints on paper and I will take some comparative photos for this weekend.

post-7782-128759354005_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128759352351_thumb.jpg

Edited by tundrayeti

Okay everyone. The Time has come! I will start casting this weekend. I will post some pictures of some of the models primered etc. tonight. I have ordered the parts with the changes and they will arrive very soon, but I will now start taking orders for the 1/72 scale ground support vehicle set. Didn't really have to do too much, they haven't changed much from the pictures posted previously. Just to reiterate, the price per kit is $100 plus shipping. I will use shipping with tracking so you will know where your stuff is. For international shipping I will try using the prepaid boxes.

So if you are interested PM me and we can start making payment arrangements. I should have these ready to go out in about 2-3 weeks. I will also post pictures of the casted parts so if you want to wait to see those that's fine. If i can get enough prepaids, i will move on to the 1/60 scale.

I am going to try and experiment and see if I can do the boom truck for the larger scales on my CNC. I think it will work since these will be larger and it will also help cut costs with the printing process. i will play with it a bit this weekend and see what it look like.

I am going to try and experiment and see if I can do the boom truck for the larger scales on my CNC. I think it will work since these will be larger and it will also help cut costs with the printing process. i will play with it a bit this weekend and see what it look like.

The 1/48 scale set is all I am looking forward to, and purchasing.

While, these look fantastic, I can't wait to see the 1/72 and 1/60 versions.

Great job, Tundrayeti.

Thanks again for all the support guys. casting is going painstakingly slow. I will let you guys know that there are steering wheels for these vehicles. I am having them printed up right now. The columns on these are about .04' (1mm) in diameter. It's much easier to have them printed, these are way too small to be casted. I am considering having some of the wheels printed as well since they are small. This will not add any cost to the kit it is still $100 plus shipping. I have about 12 orders so far so get in while you can. I will put a couple of these on ebay so I'm confident that they will sell. I will start the 1/60 scale soon,so I will start taking orders now so I can start getting supplies. 1/48 is next so be patient guys they are coming! I am still waiting on my reprints for the water truck and the tractor. I have learned a few things this first go and future prints will have sprues to make casting easier. I am so loving this process!I will also put out the reminder that additional vehicles can be purchased for $18 each, $25 for the Boom Truck.

I have also been busy with custom Diorama kits as well. Check out the Thread here guys if you haven't If your gonna get the valks, the ground equipment and other vehicles might as wedll give them a home. Check it out here

I will keep posting updates and hopefully soon I will have some pictures

Edited by tundrayeti

Hello all. Just a quick update. Things have been crazy with getting my kids ready for Halloween. Still waiting on the modifications to the few models but they should be here this week. I have some of the molds made and will begin casting the 1/72 set this week. Thanks for your patience and understanding. My kids have to come first. Thanks to those of you who have put deposits down. Orders are still being accepted. I have done some math and some of the smaller parts are easier to have printed than casted. This will not affect the model, and should make things easier. So if you still want a set, please PM me so payment arrangements can be made. I have enough money to start on the 1/60 scale so it will be coming soon. Thanks to everyone for your support. Hope you all had a great Halloween!!!

Edited by tundrayeti

Hello everyone. Just an update. Here are some of the first castings of the ac unit and the engine carrier. I will be doing the boom truck this weekend. I am still waiting on my modified reprints to arrive but they should be there within the week.

Also, I am having some of the smaller details printed out. this will not add to the cost of the kit, it is more cost effective and easier than casting some of those tiny parts. Anyone still interested in a 1/72 set please PM me.

I have also converted the 3d models to 1/60 and I will be sending them off to be printed next week. anyone interested in a 1/60 set please send me a PM so i can put you on the list. Hang in there guys it's happening,

Hopefully I will b e shipping the 1/72 kits in about 2 weeks. Thanks to everyone for your patience, work has been keeping me very busy.

post-7782-128892640019_thumb.jpgpost-7782-128892641754_thumb.jpg