Monsters/skyline

Snail00

Both movies look good

I hope Monsters isnt a POV like cloverfield

and I like the poster for Skyline...another independence day?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/skyline/

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/monsters/

i just thought of something. I guess we could work with the terrorists on this one and send human bombs as they get sucked in hahah

Edited by Snail00

and I like the poster for Skyline...another independence day?

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/skyline/

so it's like the rapture without god? I wonder what pat Robertson is gonna think. :D

Meh and meh again. first one looks like absolute crap and I'm apprehensive about the second one being little more than a preachy b*tch-fest about immigrant rights and how the drug war is our fault or some sh*t.

Edited by anime52k8

man, they really should make a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie.

Umm... the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were based on a film.

STALKER

Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky who coincidentally directed the original Solaris film.

I'm thinking Monsters will be the sleeper/indie sci-fi hit that district 9 was, but i want to see Skyline too although i know it will a Hollywood cheeseball.

Lets not forget the third part of this winters sci-fi trifecta - Battle: Los Angeles which doesn't even have a trailer yet.. just a couple of seconds of footage... i'm intrigued.

Edited by vermillion01

Umm... the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were based on a film.

STALKER

Directed by Andrei Tarkovsky who coincidentally directed the original Solaris film.

wow, I've never heard of this. I've always thought it was just based off of Roadside Picnic directly

Looks like I'll be queuing these up on Netflix in a couple of months. Don't see them lasting more then a 2 weeks in the theater.

Skyline: "Oh noes, the alien Hoover vacuums are coming!"

Monsters: "We're trapped in Mexico with illegal aliens!"

• 1 month later...

Before the whole "end of the world" craze that has given us all this new disaster and zombie films with an apocalyptic tone, I want a movie with GIANT ROBOTS. Really big ones.

Transformers made lots of money; so Hollywood, start cooping like you always do and do something more with robots and $hit. If we are going to get loaded with crappy films at least I wan't to see giant metal things hitting each other.

Before the whole "end of the world" craze that has given us all this new disaster and zombie films with an apocalyptic tone, I want a movie with GIANT ROBOTS. Really big ones.

Transformers made lots of money; so Hollywood, start cooping like you always do and do something more with robots and $hit. If we are going to get loaded with crappy films at least I wan't to see giant metal things hitting each other.

You know what they need to do. Make a War of the Worlds squeal where it's turn of the century still, and the martians come back and are now immune to earth bacteria so humans have to use martian technology to fight the aliens with steam-punk mech walkers. That would be so sick.

seriously though, I keep watching the trailer for skyline, and I think it would be a million times better if instead of drone fighters and poo fighting the aliens, it was 40 foot tall robots. :D

Skyline looks like the American Dragon Wars

Oh gods no...worse then Dragon Wars? That's an hour + of my life that will never return.

Seeing the commercials this weekend, my first impression was, really??? Uber cyber tech aliens that can use Hoovers to suck up people are going to lose against civilians and our military that from the flashes on the screen were being ripped to shreds. It won't go past a month in the movies before it fails.

seriously though, I keep watching the trailer for skyline, and I think it would be a million times better if instead of drone fighters and poo fighting the aliens, it was 40 foot tall robots. :D

Hell yeah!!

I would see that film three times.

• 3 weeks later...

a new view of the battle pod like aliens

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/skyline/pool

I like they dont look humanoid but how did they build those advanced ships with all that slobber. Still think the one alien movie The Day the Earth Stood Still was the best along with War of the Worlds

Initial impression from trailers is a big *meh*

From what I've seen of the aliens, some of them look to me like "organic" copies of the octopus-robot-thingies from The Matrix movies...

...think I'll wait for cable.

And just like with the robots from the Matrix and a lot of other movies that rely solely on CGI for the monsters/aliens/etc, I just have a hard time suspending disbelief when watching them interact with the characters. Something about the darty-flitting movements that effects creators seem to favor using when rendering them on screen, particularly the big stuff that's supposed to be impressive or scary. I just don't expect or believe such large objects to move--or more importantly--change direction so quickly and abruptly. Doesn't lend any sense of mass. Like with the "pool" trailer; a creature that big is supposed to be moving that fast? and while in Peckinpah-esque slow-mo take? My a$$.

I down loaded Monster onto my IPAD a month go, it was ok somewhat slow, but really the movie was a kind of commentary on the U.S. immigration policy. Also, it is a character study about two people that are witnessing events unfolding before their eyes that they would otherwise not see in their middle -upper class world. If this was the case it really did not work and you really don't get emotionally involved in either character as they have no chemistry really.

The title Monster" could really be a metaphor for how the U.S. Immigration Policy is Monstrous in its inequity and really needs to be re-evaluated.

no spoilers, but if you can read between the lines , as all of us in these forums can, you will see what i mean within the first 30 minutes of the film.

Edited by mustang1

a new view of the battle pod like aliens

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/skyline/pool

I like they dont look humanoid but how did they build those advanced ships with all that slobber. Still think the one alien movie The Day the Earth Stood Still was the best along with War of the Worlds

They use all their advanced technology so they can come to earth and squish us? Please.......