Yamato 1/60 Regult

UN Spacy

I'm contemplating leaving my Regult low viz grey ;)

that's not even an insane thought. I love the workmanship on this thing so much that I wish I could have bought 2. One to leave unpainted and the other to detail the heck out of it.

Thanks everyone, for me i went with the 4 colors because I thought it was an interesting look, if i had $ for 2 I would have done DYRL colors on the 2nd...but will need to do that on my 1/72 bandai re-releases. I did not detail the inside, at least not yet, i will likely get to it but on the regult it's a little bit of a waste to do the inside IMO, you just can't see much of it...now the glaug would be a different story!

For paint i went with my new favorite paint line, Montana Gold Acrylic spray cans. You can get them online or in some fine art stores, I am lucky to live pretty close to Yale so there is a really good art store in downtown New Haven that has the whole line. They take a little getting used to as the paint dries so fast if you are not close enough to the subject the paint will be almost dry before it hits the parts, but that can be used to your advantage depending on what effect you are going for. They are my new favorite because they do dry so fast, with practice can be use like and airbrush without the clean up, which is really important to a lazy guy like me, and come in sooooo many colors. They are a bit expensive, $9.99 where i am, but come with 2x what a Testors or Tamiya spray can would come with so i think it's worth it, some of the colors i picked will do double duty on other projects so it's worth it.

I used the following colors, but if you look at the colors around them (the colors are grouped by colors that are in the same family) you can tweak the colors if you choose to go with these...

Legs Silver Grey #7020, I also used this on my 1/2000 Macross for the medium grey.

Earmuffs/mid body Diamond Grey #7000, this is almost white with only a hint towards grey, better than straight white IMO

Leg accents/ Toes Deep Sea Blue # 5160 This color is also great for DYRL super armor IMO

Body Mt Fuji Blue # 5140. A pretty good choice for TV super armor IMO.

If there is anything else i can answer just let me know..

thanks

mike

Looks awesome!!! I was thinking of similar colors, and was told that in the model section, they have a paint mixing guide for the kit that looks pretty good. Did you detail the inside of your Regult, and what brand and type of paint did you use?

Ok, just about finished up, i went with the 4 color scheme, medium gray for the legs, blue main body, deep sea blue for the leg accents, and superlight gray for the rest, and gunmetal for everything else. Still dialing in the weathering but here is where it stands now. I did not get any decals, i don't think it came with any, so i scanned some of the vintage decals, cleaned them up in paint and printed them out on waterslide decal paper. I want to add some more when i get around to it..

thanks

mike

My hero, the first to post! Looks great next to those 1/60 Valks too. There's no way in hell I'd have room for one of these things. How dynamic can you make the poses?

Thanks everyone, for me i went with the 4 colors because I thought it was an interesting look, if i had $ for 2 I would have done DYRL colors on the 2nd...but will need to do that on my 1/72 bandai re-releases. I did not detail the inside, at least not yet, i will likely get to it but on the regult it's a little bit of a waste to do the inside IMO, you just can't see much of it...now the glaug would be a different story!

For paint i went with my new favorite paint line, Montana Gold Acrylic spray cans. You can get them online or in some fine art stores, I am lucky to live pretty close to Yale so there is a really good art store in downtown New Haven that has the whole line. They take a little getting used to as the paint dries so fast if you are not close enough to the subject the paint will be almost dry before it hits the parts, but that can be used to your advantage depending on what effect you are going for. They are my new favorite because they do dry so fast, with practice can be use like and airbrush without the clean up, which is really important to a lazy guy like me, and come in sooooo many colors. They are a bit expensive, $9.99 where i am, but come with 2x what a Testors or Tamiya spray can would come with so i think it's worth it, some of the colors i picked will do double duty on other projects so it's worth it.

I used the following colors, but if you look at the colors around them (the colors are grouped by colors that are in the same family) you can tweak the colors if you choose to go with these...

Legs Silver Grey #7020, I also used this on my 1/2000 Macross for the medium grey.

Earmuffs/mid body Diamond Grey #7000, this is almost white with only a hint towards grey, better than straight white IMO

Leg accents/ Toes Deep Sea Blue # 5160 This color is also great for DYRL super armor IMO

Body Mt Fuji Blue # 5140. A pretty good choice for TV super armor IMO.

If there is anything else i can answer just let me know..

thanks

mike

Thanks, buddy. I'm pretty sure I've used them before, on a WWII ship I did a number of years ago. It does dry pretty fast, which can be a double edged sword, but the colors came out well. I too, agree on the slightly grey tint to the white. That was something I was gonna look for, or even mix myself, but that color looks pretty good. There's two hobby shops and an art store by me, so I'll begin after my Platypus is finished. Oh, one last question, did you use primer? This HDP material seems to be a little more viscous than the POM or ABS stuff, and was wondering if it needs the regular primer. Thanks for responding.

Daaaamn thats nice! I totally want one now. I'm pretty good at modeling but I HATE painting...... I really hope Yamato releases this as a toy someday.

Well, got my hands on the new 1/3000 SDF-1 so looking for my next purchase.

The regult seems like another expensive buy, so for the ones who have it already, is it worth it? Very very tempting but I mean it cost more than the SDF-1 or shall I wait a little while longer and hope that Yamato will come out with a fully painted version?

I love the Yamato Regult, really, but for some reason the lack of a pilot was an absolute deal breaker for me. If I ever decide to get one, however, I think I'll paint it as toyish as possible. Maybe some panel lining but that's it. No weathering whatsoever. I wouldn't want that such a pricey piece would stand out of the rest of the 1/60 line as a mere model kit. Just my two cents.

Thanks, buddy. I'm pretty sure I've used them before, on a WWII ship I did a number of years ago. It does dry pretty fast, which can be a double edged sword, but the colors came out well. I too, agree on the slightly grey tint to the white. That was something I was gonna look for, or even mix myself, but that color looks pretty good. There's two hobby shops and an art store by me, so I'll begin after my Platypus is finished. Oh, one last question, did you use primer? This HDP material seems to be a little more viscous than the POM or ABS stuff, and was wondering if it needs the regular primer. Thanks for responding.

Sorry for the lag in response, crazy kids and crazy wife keep my head spinning....As for primer, i really only primed the seams that i needed to fill, and seam filling is the PITA of this "kit", no more than other resin kits but if for people who are primarily a toy collectors and not a model builder that will be the toughest challenge next to painting. Otherwise the resin is nice and flat so the paint bites into it really well. I did find that the seams on the legs needed the most attention, while the fit of the parts together was overall good I was left with some gaps that needed filling.

One bit of advice is to really pay attention to the vent gates that are all over the castings, for the 1/2000 macross they did a very good job of cleaning all of it off, but on this, at least mine, the vent gates were all over the place, and they are very small, like pin sized over many of the interior structures like the male/female pegs that align the legs together. I understand that the vents are required with the resin casting, and likely even more with the HDP as it is likely a filled resin and thicker when pouring. I mention it because it's important to get everyone of these hard to see vents to get the parts to fit together correctly, I am pretty sure i missed one or two here and there that wound up with me needing to do more filler work.

thanks

mike

The regult seems like another expensive buy, so for the ones who have it already, is it worth it? Very very tempting but I mean it cost more than the SDF-1 or shall I wait a little while longer and hope that Yamato will come out with a fully painted version?

It was totally worth it to me if it stays limited to a HDP release, if it comes out as a full production toy i may feel like the value would be diminished. Being a pattern maker/model maker/sculptor I am familiar with how much time, effort and engineering goes into projects like this and the 1/2000 Macross and understand the high cost due to the limited production and did not mind paying for such a high quality "kit"

That's the same position I am in as well. I really want this...but to me, the price doesn't justify what you get. The 1/2000 SDF-1 was something I wanted so much more, but I held out hoping Yamato would release it as a toy. They did, eventually, but a much smaller scale (1/3000). But the price is much, much cheaper. Good thing is, if they do decide to release a toy version of the Regult, it will probably still be the same 1/60 scale-since almost everything else is.

Also wanted to point out that there were some improvements with the toy of the SDF-1 that the model kit did not have.

Maybe the 1/60 toy will have a pilot (but to actually fit in the cockpit, he'll have to be a smaller scaled pilot (1/70 or something).

So, yeah. Maybe this time next year we'll hopefully see a 1/60 Regult toy.

Maybe the 1/60 toy will have a pilot (but to actually fit in the cockpit, he'll have to be a smaller scaled pilot (1/70 or something).

Well he could always just keep 1/60 make it smaller and say it was the "runt of the litter".:lol: Besides with Zentradi miclone technology couldn't they be any size they wanted?

Edited by logos

It would be great if Yamato included a Zentradi pilot with the plastic toy, but I wouldn’t mind if it didn’t fit inside. After all, the cockpit of the Regult is not like the ones of almost all our VFs where you can see their pilots from outside. Actually the Zentradi soldier would be so tight inside we wouldn’t be able to see the details of the cockpit, let alone the fact that with the actual entry hatch the poor pilot should be either some kind of contortionist or smaller than 1/60 to be capable of getting out.

I’d display a Regult toy with a proper 1/60 Zentradi soldier by its side or just sorting out from the cockpit.

post-12283-129487584961_thumb.jpg

It would be great if Yamato included a Zentradi pilot with the plastic toy, but I wouldn’t mind if it didn’t fit inside. After all, the cockpit of the Regult is not like the ones of almost all our VFs where you can see their pilots from outside. Actually the Zentradi soldier would be so tight inside we wouldn’t be able to see the details of the cockpit, let alone the fact that with the actual entry hatch the poor pilot should be either some kind of contortionist or smaller than 1/60 to be capable of getting out.

I’d display a Regult toy with a proper 1/60 Zentradi soldier by its side or just sorting out from the cockpit.

It's that damn anime magic again! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that looks great, man.

I soooooo wish we could get a mass produced version in the same scale.

They could even milk the mold with DYRL versions, and minor changes for rocket types and scout types, though the scout would be a little more involved.

Or give us one version with the rockets as accessories so we could make whatever variation we wanted simply by adding the packs onto the back.

I am still surprised there is no TV Queadluun-Rau...

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

same here. Mikuru here is about as close as i've ever been able to get so far;

I hearby declare the Man Faye/Sailor Moon guy/Zardoz/Tron guy/Jennifer Aniston Policy on that doll. Any posts with it in the picture will get deleted and the poster will get a suspension. Yes, it's been years since we've had to use that one, but you made me do it.

:ph34r:

Creeeeeeeeeepy. :mellow:

lol, how old are you Shaorin?

oh for cripes' sake, guys! can't you take a joke?

i'm just picking on myself, for crying out loud!! :rolleyes:

I think though we should re-instate Tron guy in honor of the new movie. :)

who is that, if i might ask?

Edited by Shaorin