Yamato 1/60 Regult

UN Spacy

thanks guys.. yeah that means I have more time to take pictures.. I have taken a few of the YF19 squad since the new addition of a member and my Mac Plus display and SDF's. I will take pics of the regults today as soon as I finish watching the football games today =) Fist sunday that I can actually watch these games.

So referrence pics for the parts are on the front right? What were the parts that were normally missing so I can keep an eye out for it or was it just random?

TIA

thanks guys.. yeah that means I have more time to take pictures.. I have taken a few of the YF19 squad since the new addition of a member and my Mac Plus display and SDF's. I will take pics of the regults today as soon as I finish watching the football games today =) Fist sunday that I can actually watch these games.

So referrence pics for the parts are on the front right? What were the parts that were normally missing so I can keep an eye out for it or was it just random?

TIA

I scanned the instructions, printed them out and began literally crossing off the pieces from the illustrations to see if I was missing any.

The piece I am missing is a10 - part of the hatch assembly.

I uploaded the scans here as a PDF if you want to use them yourselves:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zhq6ylvd6qmka5v

Oh yeah, get well soon Kicker, and take pics of your progress so I can copy you! ;)

Thanks Tober,

Opened one box and checks out ok all parts are accounted for. Is C18 and C22 the same? I know they came attached to a tree and there are six of them and I only count four of them being used meaning 2 extras. Is this correct or are the two suppose to go somewhere else?

Thanks Tober,

Opened one box and checks out ok all parts are accounted for. Is C18 and C22 the same? I know they came attached to a tree and there are six of them and I only count four of them being used meaning 2 extras. Is this correct or are the two suppose to go somewhere else?

I had 2 spare pieces on that sprue, as well as JasonC, so that seems normal.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not me! I just got mine.

Look at how thin these parts are!

img0144small1292618040.JPG

img0145small1292618040.JPG

img0146small1292618040.JPG

Here's a sample of the interlocking system so you won't need glue on some parts to put it together.

img0147small1292618040.JPG

I feel like doing an dry fit of the whole thing but I'm not sure I want to go thru taking it apart. Maybe next week.

not me! I just got mine.

Look at how thin these parts are!

img0144small1292618040.JPG

img0145small1292618040.JPG

img0146small1292618040.JPG

Here's a sample of the interlocking system so you won't need glue on some parts to put it together.

img0147small1292618040.JPG

I feel like doing an dry fit of the whole thing but I'm not sure I want to go thru taking it apart. Maybe next week.

Does it seem very fragile due how thin some parts are?

Yeah... technically, but 1/60 is pretty a non-model scale and a very big portion of people who are concerned/ interested in it are pretty much owners of the 1/60 VF series which are toys, so it would fit into both sections....

And speaking of which, where are all of the photos of completed kits for those of us who couldn't afford one?

isn't this a model kit really and not a toy? shouldn't this be in the models section?

I believe it qualifies as a toy. They're essentially marketing a limited run of unassembled prototypes of a toy that's apparently not going into mass production. It's probably more similar to uncolored, unassembled 1/60 VF-1S Yamato offers, or the crazy huge MACROSS.

While I'm off of work, I may start to put this together, along side another project I am working on. I'm gonna test the paint on a spare HDP part and see what paint, primer will hold on this material. I'll probably use Enamel, as that's usually tougher, so I'll probably start that next monday,,,maybe.

Hopefully the success of the DYRL SDF-1 will sway Yamato to mass produce the Regult.

I know it's a risk and all but I'd buy one...maybe two if the price was right. :mellow:

According to scale calculators, this thing is a 1/48 scale regult. But the pilot that fits inside would be about a 1/72 scale figure.

Dimensions: height 15.12 meters

Source: http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/reguld.htm

a 1/48 regult is 31.5 cm which is about the height of this thing standing up. Maybe even bigger.

So an actual 1/60 scale regult toy might be comparable to the SDF-1 downsizing to a mass produced toy. If they just make it without an opening cockpit and the smaller size, it might be possible. It's all up to Yamato though.

According to scale calculators, this thing is a 1/48 scale regult. But the pilot that fits inside would be about a 1/72 scale figure.

Dimensions: height 15.12 meters

Source: http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/reguld.htm

a 1/48 regult is 31.5 cm which is about the height of this thing standing up. Maybe even bigger.

So an actual 1/60 scale regult toy might be comparable to the SDF-1 downsizing to a mass produced toy. If they just make it without an opening cockpit and the smaller size, it might be possible. It's all up to Yamato though.

It really surprises me >EXO< that you say the height of the toy standing up would be 31.5cm. Haven’t you assembled yours yet? According to http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1756 this toy is 45cm high. If that’s correct, despite the Maccross shows not being very accurate regarding size proportions, I think that Yamato’s done a good job at designing a consistent 1/60 Regult (perfectly capable of fitting an Anime magic 1/60 Zentradi contortionist soldier with small feet) and that IMHO http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/reguld.htm isn’t very consistent regarding what the actual size should be. As it’s has already been discussed in other posts and here as well, Zentradis are normaly shorter than the VF-1s and Zentradi pods taller. I know this is not really obvious in the anime but it does make sense to me.

post-12283-129425877594_thumb.jpg

post-12283-12942587898_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129425881035_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129425886456_thumb.jpg

post-12283-12942589376_thumb.jpg

post-12283-12942592992_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129425932079_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129425934311_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reïvaj

Thanks Reïvaj for the reply. I haven't put mine together yet. I'll do a dry fit in a couple of weeks. I was just going by scale calculators and actually those pics you just posted. I actually talked to some people yesterday and they told me that the after printing out the initial design at 1/60 scale, Yamato decided to reduce the size to make it more manageable. Which surprised me. At 45cm, scaled up to 1512m, that would make it close to 1/32 scale. Of course I'm not complaining. Having a regult this huge is totally awesome.

I've got mine about 1/2 built and painted and I am getting about 41-42cm depending on the position of the legs, that is to the top of the laser cannons on the top of the head. I like the regult considerably bigger than the valks, they look more menacing that way, i am happy to call this 1/60. Interestingly going by yamato's scaling, it would put the re-release of the old 1/72 kit closer to 1/100.

mike

Thanks Reïvaj for the reply. I haven't put mine together yet. I'll do a dry fit in a couple of weeks. I was just going by scale calculators and actually those pics you just posted. I actually talked to some people yesterday and they told me that the after printing out the initial design at 1/60 scale, Yamato decided to reduce the size to make it more manageable. Which surprised me. At 45cm, scaled up to 1512m, that would make it close to 1/32 scale. Of course I'm not complaining. Having a regult this huge is totally awesome.

If I understand well what those people told you yesterday, if Yamato reduced down the size of the toy to make it more manageable, it only means that they consider the actual height of the Regult to be taller than the 27m that’s currently been represented at 1/60, which would be consistent with the first snapshot.

I’m not really sure but I think you’re not calculating well the scale, 1/60 just means that every cm (or inch, metre, etc) of your toy corresponds to 60cm (or inches, metres, etc) in real life. 45cm at 1/60 = 2700cm (27m). If the toy had been taller as Yamato calculated to be 1/60 accurate it would’ve fitted perfectly the T-REX Zentradis, that in the size comparison with Yamato 1/60 VF-1J (second picture) looks (according to T-REX Inc.) “smaller than expected but made in scale to official sizes”.

So the mistake is you shouldn’t consider the Regult to be 15,12m but taller than 27m. He he, scales are part of my life for I’m an architect…

post-12283-1294264260_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129426428326_thumb.jpg

So the mistake is you shouldn’t consider the Regult to be 15,12m but taller than 27m. He he, scales are part of my life for I’m an architect…

Yup. I'm basing everything on the 1512m data that's given in books and other sources, so I wouldn't call it a mistake. And my original post states that. I agree that scale in Macross is pretty much a give and take. Even one of the pictures you used on your post is one that I took. But I specifically said on the post you replied to was "using scale calculators" and then I gave the data plus a reliable source to make my point. But it makes me wonder that if they scaled it down to 45cm, what was the original height of the toy they ended up with.

I don't really understand where you're getting that 27m is correct. You don't scale up from the toy. You're suppose to scale down from given data. And I just checked the Perfect memory book and it states there that a standard regult stands at 1512m, which would make it 25cm in height as a toy. And yes I understand that the Trex zentradi would never fit into a toy that size but you have to understand that T-rex got the size of their figure from the same source that the Regult data is in.

I've got mine about 1/2 built and painted and I am getting about 41-42cm depending on the position of the legs, that is to the top of the laser cannons on the top of the head. I like the regult considerably bigger than the valks, they look more menacing that way, i am happy to call this 1/60. Interestingly going by yamato's scaling, it would put the re-release of the old 1/72 kit closer to 1/100.

mike

I barely saw this post... lol.

Wow... I can't wait to put this together. 41cm is huge. The only toy I have that's bigger would be the Hot Toys Aliens Power Loader and that thing is a monster.

I do agree with you and Reïvaj that ideally the Regult should be way bigger than the valks. In my ideal Macross universe, which is derived from the cartoon is that the soldiers are the same height as the VF-1s, which would probably make a 1/60 toy about 50-55cm tall... lol.

The inside looks similar to that...of course definitely not as detailed. It does have that center eye glass display and the indicators and buttons around it, but not in that amount. Also, I don't recall seeing the two manual controls (unless I didn't pay attention to it. I'll be flipping through the episodes to get color for the interior.

There's just no way of getting around that. some drew the Zentraedi bigger than they really were. Probably cause it would look awkward having the valkyries going up against napolean sized Zentraedi. It probably would've taken some of the "ferocity" and scariness out of the aliens. Who really knows. Zentraedi did come in different sizes, look at Britai compared to Kamjin. Then look at Kamjin to his other soldiers in the size comparison pic a couple pages back (or previous page). Maybe T-Rex's zentraedi soldier is more like a seargent or lieutenant. Then if you put on the Kamjin head, I guess it makes sense why he wouldn't fit. Ugh, too much thinking for all this stuff.

Exo, if you build it, they will come. (get your mind out the gutter)

That damn anime magic again! :)

I actually paged through a ton of my Macross (and even my Robotech books) and there isn't too much fully showing a full color interior of the Regult. There was that episode of Macross when Misa, Hikaru and Max hijack the Regult to return to the SDF-1. But I still don't think they really show the full interior! I'll keep looking around to see if I can find anything to help, though.

Yup. I'm basing everything on the 1512m data that's given in books and other sources, so I wouldn't call it a mistake. And my original post states that. I agree that scale in Macross is pretty much a give and take. Even one of the pictures you used on your post is one that I took. But I specifically said on the post you replied to was "using scale calculators" and then I gave the data plus a reliable source to make my point. But it makes me wonder that if they scaled it down to 45cm, what was the original height of the toy they ended up with.

I don't really understand where you're getting that 27m is correct. You don't scale up from the toy. You're suppose to scale down from given data. And I just checked the Perfect memory book and it states there that a standard regult stands at 1512m, which would make it 25cm in height as a toy. And yes I understand that the Trex zentradi would never fit into a toy that size but you have to understand that T-rex got the size of their figure from the same source that the Regult data is in.

First of all, I'm sorry for I forgot to mention one of the pictures I used was taken by you. My mistake.

Secondly, please don’t misunderstand me. I’m not saying 27m is correct nor that you are misusing scale calculators nor that the data you’re using isn’t the data we all know. And it´s not that I scale up from the toy (which is something I can do given the fact that the toy actually exists but the real beast doesn’t, anyway), I’m only trying to guess why Yamato did what they did, which is a toy that even being reduced down to make it more manageable at 1/60 represents 27m, making the actual beast even taller. And my conclusion is that Yamato considered more important to be able to fit a properly scaled Zentrady soldier inside it or a 1/60 VF by its side and then they found out the thing was too big and (according to what you’ve been told) resized it down a little without losing its 1/60 spirit. I also think Yamato preferred a more realistic and accurate to some line art approach to the subject over the anime magic 15,12m canon data. And I like it, but that’s just my opinion.

post-12283-129427368165_thumb.jpg

post-12283-129427369911_thumb.jpg

awww... peace already..i thought someone wasn't getting owned lol.. dammit i need to put mine together..

friendly exchange... like I said. I agree with the others that aesthetics is better. I'm just commenting on official measurements.

Ok, just about finished up, i went with the 4 color scheme, medium gray for the legs, blue main body, deep sea blue for the leg accents, and superlight gray for the rest, and gunmetal for everything else. Still dialing in the weathering but here is where it stands now. I did not get any decals, i don't think it came with any, so i scanned some of the vintage decals, cleaned them up in paint and printed them out on waterslide decal paper. I want to add some more when i get around to it..

thanks

mike

097.jpg

089.jpg

090.jpg

094.jpg

Ok, just about finished up, i went with the 4 color scheme, medium gray for the legs, blue main body, deep sea blue for the leg accents, and superlight gray for the rest, and gunmetal for everything else. Still dialing in the weathering but here is where it stands now. I did not get any decals, i don't think it came with any, so i scanned some of the vintage decals, cleaned them up in paint and printed them out on waterslide decal paper. I want to add some more when i get around to it..

thanks

mike

uhoh.gif

Looks awesome!!! I was thinking of similar colors, and was told that in the model section, they have a paint mixing guide for the kit that looks pretty good. Did you detail the inside of your Regult, and what brand and type of paint did you use?