Yamato 1/60 Regult

UN Spacy

The Destroids should be $50, they're not that hard to engineer.

Because R&D represents 100% of a products production costs and things like raw materials, tooling, packaging, factory workers and advertising all just spontaneously generate out of a vacuum. :rolleyes:

It always scares me when people discuss economics on the Internet. The best, by far, are people on news websites who have decided exactly what needs to be done to fix the economy or whose fault economic problems really are. So, that said, the Destroid toys are cool as shiz. If you don't own one, you're missing out. They cost about the same as valkyries because Yamato sells drastically fewer of them. So, whereas Yamato gets to spread the costs of the toy's production over X0,000 units of valkyries, they have to spread similar costs over Y,000 of destroids. They're spreading that amount over even fewer numbers of regults and 1/2000 SDF-1s which is why those items have astronomic prices... plus they get to add the "diehard" tax.

EDIT - and yes, it scares me when I talk about economics on the Internet as well, it's never a good idea.

Edited by jenius

They cost about the same as valkyries because Yamato sells drastically fewer of them. So, whereas Yamato gets to spread the costs of the toy's production over X0,000 units of valkyries, they have to spread similar costs over Y,000 of destroids.

Ahh, good point.

Also, while a destroid isn't as "complex" in terms of transformation. The total number of parts is still comparable to a valkyrie. And the molds and aren't going to be any cheaper just because the finished product doesn't turn into a jet.

Because R&D represents 100% of a products production costs and things like raw materials, tooling, packaging, factory workers and advertising all just spontaneously generate out of a vacuum. :rolleyes:

I already went over the fact R&D on something as simple as the Destroids shouldn't cost that much.

I already went over the fact R&D on something as simple as the Destroids shouldn't cost that much.

MGXQLZXQJTWV4WU2QSL4AG33ASQM6NIH.jpeg

first off; the fact that a mass retail kids toy that was part of a popular, concurrently airing TV shows toy line cost you ten bucks seventeen years ago has zero barring on how much it would cost to design and produce a Destroid today.

Further, even if the the Yamato's destroids where significantly less expensive to design than the VF-1, that still only represents a fraction of what it costs to actually produce the toy. The tooling, raw materials and labor required to produce the finished, packaged toy are all very expensive and represent a big chunk of what the toys final price is.

The destroids may seem simple because they don't transform but they don't have drastically fewer parts, less material or fewer paint apps than a basic VF-1 toy. That means they require a similar number of molds, similar quantities of plastic and similar number of man hours to produce each toy. So even if they did save a HUGE amount on the development end it still cost about the same amount on the production end.

And most importantly, the destroids may have had lower fixed cost (Design, tooling, etc.) but they also had far fewer units to spread the cost out over. They made all of 2 destroids in 2 color schemes compared to the Dozens of VF-1's they've churned out over the last couple years.

MGXQLZXQJTWV4WU2QSL4AG33ASQM6NIH.jpeg

first off; the fact that a mass retail kids toy that was part of a popular, concurrently airing TV shows toy line cost you ten bucks seventeen years ago has zero barring on how much it would cost to design and produce a Destroid today.

Further, even if the the Yamato's destroids where significantly less expensive to design than the VF-1, that still only represents a fraction of what it costs to actually produce the toy. The tooling, raw materials and labor required to produce the finished, packaged toy are all very expensive and represent a big chunk of what the toys final price is.

The destroids may seem simple because they don't transform but they don't have drastically fewer parts, less material or fewer paint apps than a basic VF-1 toy. That means they require a similar number of molds, similar quantities of plastic and similar number of man hours to produce each toy. So even if they did save a HUGE amount on the development end it still cost about the same amount on the production end.

And most importantly, the destroids may have had lower fixed cost (Design, tooling, etc.) but they also had far fewer units to spread the cost out over. They made all of 2 destroids in 2 color schemes compared to the Dozens of VF-1's they've churned out over the last couple years.

They also share the exact same legs, thus the same mold. That should offset a HUGE portion of Captain Picards fore-head. And the point is they aren't as fancy as a VF and the perceived value is lower. Find a way to make them cheaper so the barrier to entry isn't as high. It doesn't matter how hard you press your hand through your skull reading this opinions, they didn't sell at the price of a VF-1 and it's because nobody saw them as worth that much. And I didn't even need to use a condescending jpg to express my opinion.

They also share the exact same legs, thus the same mold. That should offset a HUGE portion of Captain Picards fore-head. And the point is they aren't as fancy as a VF and the perceived value is lower. Find a way to make them cheaper so the barrier to entry isn't as high. It doesn't matter how hard you press your hand through your skull reading this opinions, they didn't sell at the price of a VF-1 and it's because nobody saw them as worth that much. And I didn't even need to use a condescending jpg to express my opinion.

As opposed to the vf's which are exactly the same except for the head? While the destroids may share some commonality in the legs (there are differences actually) they are 100% different on top, with no shared parts, even the pilots are different.

Ultimately, your argument comes down to, " it doesn't transform, so it should be cheap" and that's really not the driving factor in costs.

Edited by eugimon

Yamato doesn't do things cheap. I don't mean just price but they hire the best engineers and manufacturers to bring the best representation of the toys. And when there's flaws to the design, they actually fix them and when the toy isn't good enough they do another version. Everytime they try cheap, like the GNUs, they fail. Even if it's never said, they are a prestige format company. And that's what I like about them. They can't be like Bandai that has many tiers and is essentially many companies under one roof. The phalanx has been done for a while, designwise. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to just sit on it if the molds weren't so expensive for the parts needed.

Yamato doesn't do things cheap. I don't mean just price but they hire the best engineers and manufacturers to bring the best representation of the toys. And when there's flaws to the design, they actually fix them and when the toy isn't good enough they do another version. Everytime they try cheap, like the GNUs, they fail. Even if it's never said, they are a prestige format company. And that's what I like about them. They can't be like Bandai that has many tiers and is essentially many companies under one roof. The phalanx has been done for a while, designwise. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to just sit on it if the molds weren't so expensive for the parts needed.

I actually was going to ask about the GNUs. I don't own any. Other than non-transformable what sets them apart from the 1/60 Valks? Cheaper plastics? The molds probably aren't as detailed too or the paint apps aren't as good? I was curious if Yamato could have gone in a GNU (still at 1/60) route with the Destroids to keep the costs down.

The GNU's were Yamato's attempt at a lower price point but it was still pretty expensive for small non transformable figures. It's just a case of when certain products that don't have that much of a demand can't meet the consumer's ideal price point. But the GNU's didn't use cheap plastic. It was actually very good in quality. It's amazing because you can take it apart without unscrewing anything and put it back together without losing any of the integrity. But at the end of the day I wasn't into playing with them. I was back to transforming my other toys and I never bought any more. But you can tell that Yamato didn't skimp on the quality.

Most Macross fans just don't want anything that isn't the VF-1. I can tell you that from making shirts also. If I made a VF-1 shirt, the sales far out does any other type of shirt almost 3 to 1. Every time Yamato ventures out of that comfort zone, it's a gamble that comes at a higher price point. I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years they redid the 1/48s with the 2 seaters in mind, because those projects fund the other valks that aren't that milkable.

With the regult... along with the fact that it's not a VF-1... it's not transformable, it's an enemy mech with no specific character tied to it. It has parts that are huge compared to their other toys. You can't really break that egg shape to smaller pieces without compromising integrity. So the steel mold for the head/cockpit alone would be way expensive, add to that the long lower legs.

Like I said before, the HDP regult is a lot bigger than the specs say it is. It's possible for them to make it smaller and still call it a 1/60 but I'm not sure logistics of such a product can warrant a plastic toy. It'd be about the same as the Q-Raus, which people didn't really turn on to. But I could be wrong. Yamato has surprised us before. They also said they would never produce the Macross and I believe that was a runaway hit for them.

I've heard other toy designers say the Destroids were over designed, but yet Yamato went with it. I like the bravado, but it cost us the Phalanx. I'm not sure though at this point, if you can come out with a different Phalanx with less complexity that doesn't stand well with the others and doesn't take advantage of the lower parts that's all ready to be used.

I was being silly.

Back to the regult.

If this kit is a success, I am pretty sure we will see a toy get made of it one day. Hopefully soon. B))

I have a question. I am sure this is a toy many of us would love to army build.

Would you prefer a lower detailed toy (such as no cockpit) to cut down on production costs (so you could buy more than one), or would you just prefer a Regult that was a true "masterpiece" toy? One that came with a pilot (non scale to fit in the cockptit), a detailed cockpit, extra articulation, maybe a few gimmick features? (Light up eye, sounds)...but costs so much you can only afford to buy one (after you sell one of your kidneys, perhaps).

Which REGULT toy would YOU prefer?

I would just want one built like the V2 VF-1's that Yamato put out, so I guess something in between your two choices.

-Kyp

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Just some comments on this thread... resin kits have rabid followers in Japan (and more and more each year now in the US). The appeal is in the exclusivity, and pride in the craft of the build. I think they will get snatched up, even at this price. This would be a really large toy for Arcadia to release, so I wouldn't hold your breath. Think of the cost, too. I stopped collecting Yamato valks in the 60 scale due to the high price (I know that makes me a loser Macross fan :)) and that the plastic parts are too flimsy.

I predict that they will release decals with the kits... it's standard fare.

Building resin kits is not that bad, although they seem daunting at the onset. I have acquired a few great ones recently. Getting skilled with paint is the tough part. Honestly if it comes cast in grey (standard uncolored resin is tan) like they show I would leave it unpainted... I think models look great that way.

Great looking kit, if I was swimming in cash I would buy 5 of them like the previous member joked.

Edited by skully

man i wish i would have splurged on the regult back when they were availbale for around $400....back then it was "unthinkable" to spend so much on a macross toy for me but in retrospect....totally should have done it and comissioned someone skilled to build and paint it. lol. i think my macross collection will never be complete without one now. haha.

I agonized at that time too, and it was hard to pull the trigger and get one from HLJ. Glad I did though.

Was agonizing to send it away for the actual build too. Kind of like finding a grilled cheese with the image of Mary in the grill marks - and then eating it. Good, but stressful to take that plunge.

Another in-progress pic....

post-8486-0-13377900-1378318844_thumb.jpg

Guest davidwhangchoi

I agonized at that time too, and it was hard to pull the trigger and get one from HLJ. Glad I did though.

Was agonizing to send it away for the actual build too. Kind of like finding a grilled cheese with the image of Mary in the grill marks - and then eating it. Good, but stressful to take that plunge.

attachicon.gifRegult_Complete2_sm.jpg

so this is yours that you sent off for commission or you're are custom/painting it for someone?

I haven't touched mine, since doing a parts count, and admiring the resin used to make it. Waiting for the move to finally happen, when I'll have a big garage to do all this. Apartments don't work so well.

attachicon.gifRegult_Complete2_sm.jpg

I'm in that regret mode too. Oh well. Thanks for posting pics for us. I like the fact that blue is a deeper shade then what most other people use.

so this is yours that you sent off for commission or you're are custom/painting it for someone?

Its mine - off being finished, along with a few other projects. I will not be revealing his name as I have him booked through next year (and don't really want him getting any other requests for the time being).

I can do kits - and do some work - but not airbrushing, and not on this scale. I know when to call in the experts...

• 3 weeks later...