Upgrade parts for Beagle 1/10 Mospeada

EXO

Awesome... can't wait to see more VC-33 pics.

My complaint is more towards having the option of selling parts thru the store. I took out some items that I ordered a while back and I'm amazes how smooth they were compared to the crap they send out now. My guess is they have a ton more business and printing them out at the lowest/fastest quality is the only way to keep up.

I have been disappointed with Shapeways all around. They used to put out some quality work for an awesome price. One of the biggest irritations for me has been, (like you Alex) that they have changed their standards as far as wall thickness goes. But if you look in their materials section they haven't publicly mentioned it. Back when I did the 1/72 scale Ground support vehicles, I uploaded an stl file for my steering wheels and it turned out to be like 5 cents per steering wheel. Not too bad. Then they slapped on this $5 setup fee, so the price went from 5 cents to 5 dollars and 5 cents. ridiculous, but my way around this was to copy the steering wheel MANY times. so if I printed out 100 steering wheels they were still 10 cents each. Still acceptable. That same file that I have printed MANY times is now rejected. Now even this is inconsistent. Here is another example.

I have included the pics of the VC-33 rear stabilizers as I mentioned yesterday. Now this file was rejected by shapeways twice with no explanation, even though I asked for one. So i submitted it a third time, Same file, no changes and the third time they printed it out and sent it to me. Now this was done in ultra fine detail, Which is supposed to be their best quality. It seems that the tech just printed it out and threw it in a bag and shipped it because this thing is horrible.

Now for the comparison, The part in black is the Shapeways part, you can see it's got obvious steps and breaks in it. I did give it a coat of sandable primer as I was going to try to salvage the part. The part on the right in grey is another company i tried and the grey part is exactly how i recieved it. (well there is a bit of residue from the casting process). This company gave me a finished product that I needed no prep work on. and the price was only $22 dollars more than Shapeways. Now this may vary with other printers, but i can tell you I'm willing to pay a little more if I can get a part that looks like this. I can just put it in rubber and be done with it, no prep time.

Okay I'm done with my rant, just wanted to let everyone know that Shapeways isn't the only solution, and there are places that give you good quality prints at decent prices. Of course this wont facilitate folks who own stores on Shapeways. Alex, I think it's more cost effective to print your parts out as masters and make molds. There are plenty of folks who could help you with this on these forumns. Thanks for looking.

post-7782-0-06917100-1345029768_thumb.jpgpost-7782-0-73909300-1345029830_thumb.jpg

Can we change the title of this thread to just Upgrade Parts for Mospeada and talk about Tread chest covers?

If the cover can look something like this but ALSO DOUBLE AS a space filler behind the cockpit in bomber mode. I hate that the cockpit will bend down at the slightest bump, and that empty space there looks terrible anyway.

If peeps can chime in their interest maybe some super talented guy like EXO will give it a go...

post-8486-0-34984600-1345126594_thumb.jpg

Now for the comparison, The part in black is the Shapeways part, you can see it's got obvious steps and breaks in it. I did give it a coat of sandable primer as I was going to try to salvage the part. The part on the right in grey is another company i tried and the grey part is exactly how i recieved it. (well there is a bit of residue from the casting process). This company gave me a finished product that I needed no prep work on. and the price was only $22 dollars more than Shapeways. Now this may vary with other printers, but i can tell you I'm willing to pay a little more if I can get a part that looks like this. I can just put it in rubber and be done with it, no prep time.

Yeah, Shapeways has been getting some bad press lately. Although I've never used them myself, they were a cheaper option.

So are you going to tell us who "this company" is? Claybox maybe? :unsure: I've been using Moddler.com and have been reasonably happy with their output, although they have similar restrictions to Shapeways ( 0.2mm detail level - makes panel lines difficult).

Oh, and I'm still looking for somewhere/one that can do 3D scanning for a reasonable price... :(

Can we change the title of this thread to just Upgrade Parts for Mospeada and talk about Tread chest covers?

If the cover can look something like this but ALSO DOUBLE AS a space filler behind the cockpit in bomber mode. I hate that the cockpit will bend down at the slightest bump, and that empty space there looks terrible anyway.

If peeps can chime in their interest maybe some super talented guy like EXO will give it a go...

Looks straight-forward enough. Depends on how that piece would attach to the Beta tho. I'll dig up mine over the weekend and have a look.

post-8486-0-34984600-1345126594_thumb.jpg

I...LOVE this ! Definitely refines the look of the Beta.

This chest cover looks awesome for a couple reasons:

a. Mars Base symbol breaks up stark white area

b. Corners / edges are heavily rounded which match the chest curve and give a nice organic feel - so sharp edges should be avoided.

The primary concern should be the soldier mode, and however it looks as a gap filler in bomber mode is how it is. No design compromises should be made to the chest piece for its dual roll.

post-8486-0-17610400-1345214302_thumb.jpg

As a marketing guy, a 'Beta /Tread Upgrade Pack' might get even more buyers. For example the missing top missile pods Toynami also neglected to put in. I added them here in photoshop.

You do the chest covers and top pods, and offer painting services, you might get 15 customers wanting 1, 2 or 3 sets...

post-8486-0-73355400-1345214320_thumb.jpg

PS - I think for my idea and marketing direction alone I deserve a free finished set! Remember me kindly you 3D part maker guys when you make it big... : )

Yeah, Shapeways has been getting some bad press lately. Although I've never used them myself, they were a cheaper option.

So are you going to tell us who "this company" is? Claybox maybe? :unsure: I've been using Moddler.com and have been reasonably happy with their output, although they have similar restrictions to Shapeways ( 0.2mm detail level - makes panel lines difficult).

Oh, and I'm still looking for somewhere/one that can do 3D scanning for a reasonable price... :(

Looks straight-forward enough. Depends on how that piece would attach to the Beta tho. I'll dig up mine over the weekend and have a look.

The name of the company is Ownage in China. They do awesome 3d printing and they do a LOT of anime stuff so they have a passion for stuff like this. And as far as the 3d scanner goes, My friend is still working the bugs out of his.. B)) It's definitely a touchy technology.

Thanks tundrayeti, seems that the ownage.com site is being updated tho.

Is your friend trying the david scanner setup?

DarrinG, do you have other reference shots for that Beta cover? I took a look and it seems like a real pain... There is almost no clearance between the head and chest hatches.

DarrinG, do you have other reference shots for that Beta cover? I took a look and it seems like a real pain... There is almost no clearance between the head and chest hatches.

There are 2 thin, vertical slots in the Beta chest that I think accommodate the pegs necessary for a chest cover.

These 2 slots are just inside the 2 circles things that slide in and out. I will take some photos and maybe throw out a sketch soon to keep the ball rolling...

They still are taking orders. Their work is top notch. Just do a google search for Owenage 3d printing and see the stuff they have done for others.

As for the 3d scanner, I'm not sure what setup he was doing, I know he did a couple of test scans. But as always other things get in the way.

Edited by tundrayeti

Ah, there's my old Beta Fighter sample. That was a very early resin mock-up and I was still working on design for cockpit. I was deciding if I should design the cockpit to be removable to swap to flat looking chest block piece(as seen in pictire) for robot mode.

But came in a decision not to use alternate chest piece for cost reason.

If any of you want those upgrade kits made, then I should do it myself to take care my unfinished business.

Edited by Maiden Japan

I already have a rapport with one of their printing guys. Let me know if you want any assistance

Thanks, still working on the projects tho.

If any of you want those upgrade kits made, then I should do it myself to take care my unfinished business.

Awesome! Go for it! B))

Ah, there's my old Beta Fighter sample. That was a very early resin mock-up and I was still working on design for cockpit. I was deciding if I should design the cockpit to be removable to swap to flat looking chest block piece(as seen in pictire) for robot mode. But came in a decision not to use alternate chest piece for cost reason. If any of you want those upgrade kits made, then I should do it myself to take care my unfinished business.

Sounds like a PLAN! So a few things I've wondered about:

1. To achieve a chest look like that, does the whole cockpit have to come off? Or can you make a piece that looks like that to cover it? And could it double as a space filler behind the cockpit when in bomber / fighter mode? -- that way you do not have to store the extra piece back in the box when its not in soldier mode.

2. Were the top shoulder missile pods considered in the design? I am bummed they were left off. Seems like there was room for them.

3. Lastly - the hips slide in and out of position so easily. Could there have been a lock and unlock switch or something for the mechanism?

Let's 'finish your business' Maiden. As EXO can vouch for, there are many customers just on this site that would likely be in for an upgrade kit. Let me know how I can help...

Let's 'finish your business' Maiden. As EXO can vouch for, there are many customers just on this site that would likely be in for an upgrade kit. Let me know how I can help...

LOL. I don't know if I can vouch for that. Maiden Japan knows the difference between demand from Mospeada fans and demand from other fans (ahem! Transformers) and I'm sure he realizes that Macross/Mospeada fans is not where you should look if you want a good customer base. But as we, as Tundrayeti have discussed before, don't even do it for the dream of becoming rich from it... :lol: ... but mostly because we love it. Most of the time the current project funds the next one, but it won't pay for my VF-4!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't find the old thread so I'll just post this here. Some people requested that I put the Mospeada figures back on Shapeways. So here they are.

http://www.shapeways...hops/exodigital

The default material is Frosted Ultra Detail. Yes they are expensive but you won't get the detail otherwise. It's just how these things cost. I actually priced these with other 3D printers and each figure cost about the same as the whole set so Shapeways prices are still the best when it comes to 3D print.

Just added this Inbit only set.

groupshot1347484611.jpg