The Spacy Thread

Ghost Train

Nothing beats the elegance and gracefulness combined with power that is the Galaxy class, especially that stardrive section.

Even for its day I always felt the Galaxy class was so-so in terms of design. It certainly wasn't ugly, but I liked the Excelsior hull design better.

Now, the Dreadnought Enterprise-D on the other hand was pure win:

ncc-1701-d_future_all_good_things.jpg

There was never any mention of heat and shields in the SW universe that I knew of*. And would the Hoth base have a reactor bigger and more powerful than the honking huge Executor?

OK ok, this is a non-debate in the sense that SW tech doesn't make sense. As I said, I gave up trying to rationalise it from the start.

Well the Executor was withstanding attack thats why the whole rebel fleet basically concentrated on it, A-wings missile'd the poo out of its bridge deflectors before one guy smashed into it.

and funny how you say SW tech doesnt make sense when some SW tech has been Inspiration for high science.

*Edit

Edited by Vepariga

Well the Executor was withstanding attack thats why the whole rebel fleet basically concentrated on it, A-wings missile'd the poo out of its bridge deflectors before one guy smashed into it.

and funny how you say SW tech doesnt make sense when some SW tech has been the basis for high science.

Yeah, just let me get my lightsabre out. Oh, wait.....

Taksraven

Please explain. I can buy that SW has inspired people to go into science... but as a basis for science?

Its about as much a "basis" for science as ST communicators were for mobile phones. People who claim that SF influences all the good inventions are full of crap. It may influence some, but certainly not all.....

Please explain. I can buy that SW has inspired people to go into science... but as a basis for science?

thats the word,Inspired was the word i was looking for lol,apologies for the confusion.

and hey taks,lightsabers might be here oneday :p but will be Plasma-sabers instead.

I always hated the damn Galaxy class, too bulbous in the wrong places. The interiors were also far too "cruise shippy", Can't tell you how happy I was when they finally blew it up, and replaced it with the Sovereign.

Edited by Keith

I always hated the damn Galaxy class, too bulbous in the wrong places. The interiors were also far too "cruise shippy", Can't tell you how happy I was when they finally blew it up, and replaced it with the Sovereign.

So, how well did the Indoctrination go? :lol: Edited by Wanzerfan

Saw a couple of Space: Above and Beyond pics, but, I'm disappointed it not getting a lot of love here in MW. :(

So may I present the U.S.S. Saratoga:

sara_02.jpg

Source: http://spaceaboveandbeyond.tv

The SA-43 "Hammerhead" Space Attack Craft

hammers.jpg

sa43-model-front.jpg

Source: http://webhome.idirect.com/~shipman/3rdMEU/SA-43Hammerhead.html

The ISSCV:

isscv.gif

The SA-43 "Hammerhead" Space Attack Craft

After all these years, the design is "meh" (same for the carrier, though that might just be the angle. On screen, at the time, it was uber cool)

The ISSCV:

Now THIS brings back memories. In retrospect, I'm not quite sure I like the design (I think the one that appeared in "Starship Troopers" is better), but man, they sure used that thing alot in S:AAB.

I see it's been a while since you've played Mass Effect 1. Sovereign was the name of Saren's ship.

It's been never since I've played mass effect 1, however

Protip: Context - When someone is speaking about how they hate the Galaxy Class design, and are glad it was replaced by the Sovereign design, they're obviously speaking about Star Trek.

Nobody thought a small one man fighter was a threat - or else they would have a tighter defense.

Real tanks have been built with big honking exhaust ports on the side (WW2 French) and lots of other design flaws no need to worry about that one on the Death Star, if Luke had not been there (last Jedi, yada yada) then no one would have hit the thing. I'd like to know who placed the tractor beam controls though.

Right. Not only that, but even so, it still needed to be a torpedo as we clearly see Luke's torp turn the corner. Even if SW used B5-style thrust vectoring, getting a straight on shot long enough to hit the reactor would be one in a million, if not one in a billion or trillion angle. Even without TIE fighters coming after you.

Still, DS2 supposedly fixed that flaw... if it had been completed before the Rebel Scum attacked, err... that is were lured into the Emperor's carefully planned trap (which was all foiled by Han Solo stepping on that twig).

Edited by Uxi

Still have a soft spot for Manchu's space ship designs that introduced me to sci-fi as a kid. Probably his most well known work is the mecha designs for: Once upon a time...Space/Ginga Patrol PJ. There is also a connection with Studio Nue, who have adapted his designs for use in Ulysses 31.

Alliance of Omega: Cobra class cruiser

wB069.jpg

Cassiopeian warships

bscap0009.jpg

Alliance of Omega Battleship

screen06.jpg

Oh, how could I forget my favorite from childhood:

2ff2_1.JPG

Have to disagree, first time I saw it I convinced it was a fan made ship, the thing has the most ungainly lines I've ever seen.

I always hated the Galaxy design as a big spacey love boat. I didn't start to respect it until seeing it in the Dominion War episodes in DS9

Oh, how could I forget my favorite from childhood:

2ff2_1.JPG

I always hated the Galaxy design as a big spacey love boat. I didn't start to respect it until seeing it in the Dominion War episodes in DS9

Yeah, that is a great craft. I really would hate to be in Junpei's and the chick's shoes, having to crawl through those freaking wings into the fuselage after docking thier vehicles in those pods on the wingtips.

Yeah, that is a great craft. I really would hate to be in Junpei's and the chick's shoes, having to crawl through those freaking wings into the fuselage after docking thier vehicles in those pods on the wingtips.

Strangely, in the series it seemed like Jinpei and Jun simply slid down a chute to the main bridge as they went feet first. I can only remember Joe having to crawl or rather slide on his back out of his vehicle.

Strangely, in the series it seemed like Jinpei and Jun simply slid down a chute to the main bridge as they went feet first. I can only remember Joe having to crawl or rather slide on his back out of his vehicle.

Yeah, thats what I was going to say, Joe seemed to have the toughest journey into the Phoenix. (but he was a MAN, so it was easy for him.)

Taksraven

Saw a couple of Space: Above and Beyond pics, but, I'm disappointed it not getting a lot of love here in MW. :(

*snip*

This show, despite all of its issues, was really enjoyable to watch. I mean there was a certain ridiculousness to the concept, like the fact that they were pilots but also infantry :D , but in many ways did show helped make Sci-Fi realism cool. For instance, humans still used tracked and wheel vehicles, and rifles were still rifles, none of that laser/phaser BS. This idea of "using what works" goes on to rear its head in more memorable franchises like BSG and Halo.