The Spacy Thread

Ghost Train

Taksraven you stole my thunder with the Liberator, I was one of the few who used to follow Blake's 7 back in the day...Vifam 7, the Explorer from Vehicle Voltron was a very cool ship!

Now lets see, ah yes...there is:

Anyone else remember watching Sankukai? This was my SDF-1 before there was an SDF-1 :)

post-2668-1283958210_thumb.png

Edited by Zor Primus

it's not the speed, it's the acceleration or deceleration that's dangerous. :D

Its one of the Golden Rules of Sci-Fi (SW/ST esp). All systems, shields, weapons, lights etc etc can fail, shipboard computers can go rogue and try to kill the crew, but the inertial dampers and artificial gravity NEVER fails, get switched off by the rogue computer or falls below 100% efficiency.

Its one of the Golden Rules of Sci-Fi (SW/ST esp). All systems, shields, weapons, lights etc etc can fail, shipboard computers can go rogue and try to kill the crew, but the inertial dampers and artificial gravity NEVER fails, get switched off by the rogue computer or falls below 100% efficiency.

Read some Honor Harrington, the ships in that universe accelerate at hundreds of gravity - and the inertial dampers fail from time to time from combat damage.

Here is a pick of some ships off the web, not really great designs...

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/FSWADA/FSWADA21102_500.jpeg

It would make sense to tie the inertial damper to the sub light and FTL propulsion, so that the ship would not jump or warp or whatever if the inerial system wass off or damaged... At least that's the line I'd feed to fans .

And then there's Spaceballs :D

Speaking of which -

Space Ball 1

spaceball1.jpg

Edited by Vifam7

The other two I know, this one was from a Saturday Morning kids show if I remember correctly. Looks like an Apollo booster with some kind of minivan on the front. And where did they get the Super America gas station decals from?

Well, there was this company called Filmation which made some pretty good stuff back in the day. Their animated version of Flash Gordon was awesome, but they were also known for some real stinkers. The ship in the picture is called a Seeker and was the work horse and training vehicle of the show "Space Academy". This ship was also used in a different variant in "Jason of Star Command". And if you remember another of Filmation's shows, "Ark II", you'll realize the front portion of the Seeker is actually cast from the front of that show's titular vehicle.

That's the one thing about the new BSG I liked... people get sucked out of the ship during battle. And if they didn't, the characters find a way to shove each other out of the launch tube.

So true, plasma conduits and consoles exploding, bulkheads and panels crashing down but somehow in all the destruction the gravity generators always kept working on the good old enterprise.

Speaking of red shirts... I feel that Trek is a bit under-represented here. Sure, technically Starfleet is an exploration agency with some defense responsibilities, but they did deliver a few pure warships.

defiant-class-ventral.jpg

The Defiant was just incredible, a few spurts of its phaser cannons could bring down a ship three times its size.

... and here is mine :D

defiant.jpg

Was going to post this on the proper thread but whatever. 3x dual phaser cannons + 1 Quantum torpedo launcher up front, 2 phaser turrets on the back.

My attack run is EPS III (I'm an Engineer) > Attack Pattern Omega III > Rapid Fire II > High Yield Torpedo II. Then finally Evasive Manuevers after I've delivered the haterade and it's time to GTFO, as this ship is about as thin as paper.

Edited by Ghost Train

So true, plasma conduits and consoles exploding, bulkheads and panels crashing down but somehow in all the destruction the gravity generators always kept working on the good old enterprise.

Not just the Enterprise, I think there were a couple of episodes where they beamed aboard some old derelict and the artificial gravity on space junk still works 100%.They need to get the person/contractor who worked on the artificial gravity to also work on the exploding consoles and 'frequent ejection' warp core.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

I always thought the new BSG Cylon ships were VERY cool...the little fighters and the big giant whatever they were called----the giant tripple spoke lookin things!

Yes, the Cylon Baseship/Basestar and the raiders are great designs. I'm fond of most of the BSG-reimagined designs.

post-114-128403580787_thumb.jpg

LOL I remember getting headaches and motion sickness from Descent - it was a fun game too, they really pushed the boundary.

Not just the Enterprise, I think there were a couple of episodes where they beamed aboard some old derelict and the artificial gravity on space junk still works 100%.They need to get the person/contractor who worked on the artificial gravity to also work on the exploding consoles and 'frequent ejection' warp core.

That's pretty much always the case when the Enterprise encounters any derelict ship.

> Mr. Worf... report.

> Shields offline, extensive hull damage with multiple breaches, power systems offline, weapons offline, no life signs.... BUT minimal life support!

Edited by Ghost Train

I still have them both, but they don't work right. Usually, the problem is the games run too goddamn fast or there's BSP holes everywhere, etc... It's too bad. I would love to blast through the mines of the Post Terran Mining Corporation once more.

I went and downloaded my copy of Descent 1 and Descent 2 from GOG.com, and Descent 1 has some graphical issues when played in full screen, but they dissapear when I play it in windowed mode. Descent 2 seems to work just fine in full screen mode.

If you really want to play them again, go over to GOG.com and buy yourself a copy. $5.99 gets you Descent 1 and Descent 2.

EDIT:

I just found the DXX-Rebirth project. Aside from the lack of CD music in Descent 2, this makes the games work PERFECTLY in Windows 7 64 bit. And makes them look retro-pretty. I think I'm gonna waste a few more hours on these games.

Edit 2:

The website: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Edit 3:

This also makes Descent 1 and 2 much more playable on my little netbook. Dosbox isn't entirely netbook friendly... Emulation on top of limited horsepower is never good for results.

Edited by VF-19

I for one am most thankful Trek is under-represented since for far too long it was horrendously overexposed :)

Absolutely agree Mr March. And I think that if any one ship from Trek deserved ANY sort of consideration it would be this one....

rounded_warbird.PNG

BUT there are plenty of things more interesting than Trek.....

DOH, I would put up a pic of the Heart of Gold from the BBC version of Hitchhikers but I can't find a pic, and I don't like the new version for the film.

ANY ship with an Infinite Improbability Drive has to be one of the best of all time though....

And then, of course, you have THIS turkey.....

battlebeyond1.jpg

Taksraven

SW_Executor_01.jpg

this thread needs some Executor love. :ph34r:

Yeah, right before they make it look like a totally impotent piece of crap in ROTJ. When they unveiled that ship it was like "Oh man, that baby is going to do some DAMAGE", but no......

Taksraven

Always had a soft spot for these two guys:

harpy.jpg

Actually, soft spot is understating a little... these pirate fighters from Crusher Joe are a couple of slices of fried gold!

I'm looking at the red one there, and... I see the cockpit and partial nose cone from a VF-1. Am I seeing things, or am I like those people who see the hory floating head in objects?

Yeah, right before they make it look like a totally impotent piece of crap in ROTJ. When they unveiled that ship it was like "Oh man, that baby is going to do some DAMAGE", but no......

Well, it DID make a sizable dent in the second Death Star...

No spoiler - if someone has not seen it by now, well, they aren't going to...

Well, it DID make a sizable dent in the second Death Star...

Nah, it disappeared in a puff of smoke & fire. But I'm sure that Lucas would still blame Marquand for any problems.

Taksraven