The Spacy Thread

Ghost Train

This show, despite all of its issues, was really enjoyable to watch. I mean there was a certain ridiculousness to the concept, like the fact that they were pilots but also infantry :D , but in many ways did show helped make Sci-Fi realism cool. For instance, humans still used tracked and wheel vehicles, and rifles were still rifles, none of that laser/phaser BS. This idea of "using what works" goes on to rear its head in more memorable franchises like BSG and Halo.

Don't forget their "LIDAR".

Indeed. It's enough to hope that someday, we could get a realistic "Band of Brothers" type sci-fi anthology series with realistic command/unit/personnel rotations, etc.

Indeed. It's enough to hope that someday, we could get a realistic "Band of Brothers" type sci-fi anthology series with realistic command/unit/personnel rotations, etc.

I think "Exo Squad" would make an excellent property/franchise to try that with, in perhaps CGI or--dare to be audacious--live action, in a mini series or 2-3 film format? They were halfway there as far as story and character development (compared to contemporary shows); at least in season 1, before animation quality really started to suffer, and things got too gimmicky and hokey in an effort to expand the toyline.

Hell, give it to HBO Films, and it might not suck a$$.

Honestly, I'm surprised no one's tried any of that plagiarism-rationalized-as-reboot bullsh*t with that one yet, given the Transformers movies' validation of the big-budget robot genre.

I think "Exo Squad" would make an excellent property/franchise to try that with, in perhaps CGI or--dare to be audacious--live action, in a mini series or 2-3 film format? They were halfway there as far as story and character development (compared to contemporary shows); at least in season 1, before animation quality really started to suffer, and things got too gimmicky and hokey in an effort to expand the toyline.

Hell, give it to HBO Films, and it might not suck a$$.

Honestly, I'm surprised no one's tried any of that plagiarism-rationalized-as-reboot bullsh*t with that one yet, given the Transformers movies' validation of the big-budget robot genre.

Didn't we pretty much have that with the Starship Troopers CG series? Now there is a series that died before it was given its due.

Its too terrifyingly expensive a genre. They would have been pretty sure about the bankability of TF, but even then there would have been those suggesting it was too much money for such a risk.

Taksraven

Didn't we pretty much have that with the Starship Troopers CG series? Now there is a series that died before it was given its due.

And what an ass place in the story to pull the plug at that, thanks for reviving that anger! :) BTW, how well does the DVD release of Roughnecks hold up in our shiny new HD era?

yeah,Event Horizon isnt a ship you'd want to board.

And I wish the Starship Troopers series Roughnecks still had closure,dammit,they should make it again with todays CG..im always up for new Starship trooper stuff ^_^

Personally it's the coffin shaped hallways that clued me in to the possible badness.

Sontaran Pod from Doctor Who, pretty forgettable...

Sontaran_Ship.JPG

I always thought that the Dalek mothership from the Dalek Invasion of Earth film looked pretty iconic and stylish though......

Dalek_Saucer.jpg

GREATEST SPACESHIP EVER!!!!

275buzzlightyear.jpg

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

I always thought that the Dalek mothership from the Dalek Invasion of Earth film looked pretty iconic and stylish though......

Dalek_Saucer.jpg

Taksraven

Do you know what to do when you're facing a force of Daleks?

Run up the stairs, run up the stairs!!! :p

Edited by Wanzerfan

This show, despite all of its issues, was really enjoyable to watch. I mean there was a certain ridiculousness to the concept, like the fact that they were pilots but also infantry :D , but in many ways did show helped make Sci-Fi realism cool. For instance, humans still used tracked and wheel vehicles, and rifles were still rifles, none of that laser/phaser BS. This idea of "using what works" goes on to rear its head in more memorable franchises like BSG and Halo.

I remember that line:

:lol:

Also, don't forget the T.C. McQueen's speech about his "maker." :ph34r:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBndSv8qaE

Or that the great Lee Emery was in the pilot: ^_^

Something about "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," eh? Not sure what/where this one's from though...

fighter_atmosphere.jpg

To be honest, I get more of a Gunstar feel from that than I do VF-X-4.

Also, why does it have headlights? You'd think headlights on a high-speed fighter are kind of pointless... maybe even detrimental.

"I lost him!"

"Just look for his headlights!"

To be honest, I get more of a Gunstar feel from that than I do VF-X-4.

Also, why does it have headlights? You'd think headlights on a high-speed fighter are kind of pointless... maybe even detrimental.

"I lost him!"

"Just look for his headlights!"

There is a subtle difference between head lights and laz0rs!!!

I've also seen this design before quite a few times, curious where it's from.

I've also seen this design before quite a few times, curious where it's from.

I don't think it's specifically "from" anything. It's just a space fighter somebody made up, I forget who the artist is though.

also personally I think it looks more like the old Arwing from starfox than anything else.

speaking of which, the Arwing is an sweet little space fighter.

Arwing_64.jpg

Do you know what to do when you're facing a force of Daleks?

Run up the stairs, run up the stairs!!! :p

Get with the times man, Daleks have been able to beat stairs since the late 80's....

dalekstairs.jpg

TOR doesn't care if you're a virgin or not, it's progressive like that. :)

The same can be said of EVE really. You can carebear and play it safe indefinitely, all it takes is some common sense to avoid getting suckered into "unwanted PvP." The problem is just that sooner or later you will be wronged by someone and thus will want to pursue revenge - for which EVE offers plenty of options, from hiring mercenaries to pop the jacka$$ who stole your money, fight them yourself, or insert a mole into their corporation and steal all the moneyz back, or just make a comment about their mother on local channel.

lol as you can see, EVE players take internet spaceships very seriously.... they must all be abused and overworked IT workers during the daytime.

TOR doesn't care if you're a virgin or not, it's progressive like that. :)

The same can be said of EVE really. You can carebear and play it safe indefinitely, all it takes is some common sense to avoid getting suckered into "unwanted PvP." The problem is just that sooner or later you will be wronged by someone and thus will want to pursue revenge - for which EVE offers plenty of options, from hiring mercenaries to pop the jacka$$ who stole your money, fight them yourself, or insert a mole into their corporation and steal all the moneyz back, or just make a comment about their mother on local channel.

lol as you can see, EVE players take internet spaceships very seriously.... they must all be abused and overworked IT workers during the daytime.

*whimper* Not fair...