Takara/Hasbro TF toy tech/gimmicks you want macross toys to adopt?

JET7

Big 'NO' to any transformers style gimmicks in Yamato Macross toys.

Definitely no light piping. As someone else mentioned, to have light piping for the eyes, that usually means the back of the head also need to be clear plastic.

No light up or sound gimmicks please, either. They are usually pretty tacky. Unless they can be fitted into an accessery part such as a booter, they will usually compromise the sculpt in some way. When Harmony Gold tried the light up eye gimmick with their MPC VF-1, most us us hated it.

As for joints, I don't recall being impressed by the joints on Transormers toys. Most of my sons Transformers have at least some floppy joints.

Graham

Nobody liked the MPCs because they sucked nothing specifically with the light piping

I'd say the lit up eyes for the MPC were a hated feature. Mainly because the visors don't really light up and the fact that it not only lit up the eyes but the whole head because of the cheap thin plastic they used. I think lights on the control panel and maybe even the boosters would be cool, but more so on a 1/48 Hasegawa or even better a 1/32 premium format toy. But that's more a Bandai thing not a Hasbro feature.

TF-style electronic gimmicks for Yamato VF's would be a VERY bad move. I see them as a negative point in the toys instead of a plus point, due to the huge compromises you'd make to accommodate them.

In fact, all the gimmicks for Hasbro's Leader class toys put me off, as they usually come the cost of bloated, misshapen alt/bot modes for the TF's. In the leader class, the batteries, sound chips and light up gimmicks caused ROTF Optimus' torso thickness to be almost double what it should be, and made ROTF Starscream's alt mode so bloated it could never pass itself off as a realistic F-22 Raptor (which is why Takara's more realistic repaint doesn't appeal to me).

As for the HA line, Bumblebee was so laden with human-interaction gimmicks that it severely compromised the proportions of his arms, with these huge seats strapped to them. Starting with Skids, subsequent HA figs payed less emphasis on the gimmicks, which resulted in better proportions. Jazz, the latest and probably last HA fig, is a near-perfect representation of the Bayverse character, with thankfully unobtrusive gimmicks.

I agree with what others said about the light piping gimmick; it rarely works unless you've got some sort of back-lighting or display light from above. Besides, the cost of having the back part of the head in clear plastic is NOT becoming of a $200 plus high end toy. Also, I'd like to point out that VF's DO NOT have glowing eyepieces like TF's. They're just cameras for the pilots to see through in battroid mode, and have no business glowing like lanterns. I've only watched SDF-Macross, MacPlus and parts of M7 and MF, but I don't recall a single scene where a battroid's eyes lit up.

And no: images on posters, wallpapers, and scenes where light reflects off of the eyepiece for dramatic effect don't count. :p

That said, extra accessories would be a welcome addition. Looking at the plethora of stuff MP OP and Megs come with, I think Yamato could add some other cool character-specific stuff like baby Komilia's transport pod for Milia's Super VF-1J, or that Zentraedi uniform disguise to go with Max's TV VF-1A, along with individual standing Hikaru and Misa figs to fit into the front pocket (I wish!). Then again, the cost of such additions could put the price of the VF's through the roof.

At the very least, Yamato could release additional accessories in sets like for the fold booster set. Maybe group packages together like maintenance crews with ladders and FAST pack docks, or a set of four "battroid mode seats" with diorama bases. They'll probably be expensive, but at least its better than third party companies selling them at conventions, or through web exclusives.

Edited by GU-11

Also, I'd like to point out that VF's DO NOT have glowing eyepieces like TF's. They're just cameras for the pilots to see through in battroid mode, and have no business glowing like lanterns. I've only watched SDF-Macross, MacPlus and parts of M7 and MF, but I don't recall a single scene where a battroid's eyes lit up.

And no: images on posters, wallpapers, and scenes where light reflects off of the eyepiece for dramatic effect don't count. :p

At the very least, Yamato could release additional accessories in sets like for the fold booster set. Maybe group packages together like maintenance crews with ladders and FAST pack docks, or a set of four "battroid mode seats" with diorama bases. They'll probably be expensive, but at least its better than third party companies selling them at conventions, or through web exclusives.

Agree on those points man!

Also, I need to point out TF toys cater for children and up, while Macross leans more towards adult collectors.

you flip open the top of the head and spin the eye piece around 90 degrees so that the different colored eye piece is visible.

this is in relation in dino mode.

but in bot mode, theres a switch behind his head "UP" for blue visor "DOWN" for red visor.

I don't really see where Yamato could fit more ratchet joints in on a valk. They seem to use them wherever there's space already. If anything, it's takara/Tony that seems to be moving away from ratchets and using more friction joints and ball and socket joints on their toys.

I'd like to see universal rotation/ratchet/detented joints used in lieu of ball joints. I might be in the minority, but the 1/55 VF-1 shoulders are my favorite design, because the shoulder clicks into place in any direction it is moved in.

Hasbro & Takara-Tomy’s been giving the public what they want lately (instead of dishing out stuff they want the public to have). Plenty of awesome homages and some very nostalgic designs. Their transformations techniques have also become more and more innovative.

I just wish the YF-19 & YF-21 fast-pack booster set was the YF-19 & VF-22S fast-pack booster set instead. Like how hard would that have been… as if there was an actual Yamato 1/60 YF-21 that didn’t come with fast-packs already.

Well if I had to pick a gimmick, then it would be missiles that really shoot out/fire. That’s a 25+ year old gimmick for ya.

I just wish the YF-19 & YF-21 fast-pack booster set was the YF-19 & VF-22S fast-pack booster set instead. Like how hard would that have been… as if there was an actual Yamato 1/60 YF-21 that didn’t come with fast-packs already.

1) There are no such things as fastpacks for the VF-22S.

2) The latest releases of the YF-21 no longer include the stand nor fastpacks, hence their inclusion in the booster set.

Hasbro & Takara-Tomy’s been giving the public what they want lately (instead of dishing out stuff they want the public to have). Plenty of awesome homages and some very nostalgic designs. Their transformations techniques have also become more and more innovative.

Well if I had to pick a gimmick, then it would be missiles that really shoot out/fire. That’s a 25+ year old gimmick for ya.

oooh, you mean like making it a websclusive only available in Japan? Yeah... that would have been awesome.

I'd like to see universal rotation/ratchet/detented joints used in lieu of ball joints. I might be in the minority, but the 1/55 VF-1 shoulders are my favorite design, because the shoulder clicks into place in any direction it is moved in.

but the 1/55 shoulder only moves along one axis. I'm all for ratchet joints where applicable (knees and elbows, like yamato already does) but if it means completely screwing up the accuracy and/or transformation to work in ratchets just to have ratchets, no thanks.

And working in universal ratchets in the VF-1 shoulder, that's really not feasible. Even on MP Prime you have to pull the shoulder out in order to use the universal joint, where are you gonna put that mechanism on a valk other than making it leader class SS fat?

Besides, the existing shoulder joint works just fine. It's more than strong enough to hold a pose even with the FAST packs and GBP armor in place.

1) There are no such things as fastpacks for the VF-22S.

2) The latest releases of the YF-21 no longer include the stand nor fastpacks, hence their inclusion in the booster set.

1) Wouldn't it be great if there were? Think outta the box I'd say (at least the arm clips fit).

2) What!?! Well, that's a fail. I noticed that the MSRP on the new YF-21 is 18,800Y. I like Yamato's recession sales tactics; give the consumers less but charge them just as much. It's so crazy it might just work. Ah well, at least the VF-22S & VF-19's are clearanced for $120 now.

oooh, you mean like making it a websclusive only available in Japan? Yeah... that would have been awesome.

Huh?

Add-on packs like TFA Samurai Prowl/Wingblade Ops/Hydro BB are cool ideas. Armor packs for the VF-0/VF-11 and a speaker getup for the new VF-19 would be great. I think that'll help increase figure sales too.

2) What!?! Well, that's a fail. I noticed that the MSRP on the new YF-21 is 18,800Y. I like Yamato's recession sales tactics; give the consumers less but charge them just as much. It's so crazy it might just work.

the first run YF-21 sold for ¥21,800 (that mean's it's ¥3,000 yen less than before :rolleyes: )

the first run YF-21 sold for ¥21,800 (that mean's it's ¥3,000 yen less than before :rolleyes: )

Holy cow! I got on it when it first came out for $180+$40 shipping (and that's when the yen was pretty low). Guess I shouda looked at the MSRP on the guy. Funny thing is, all the headsup correction info I'm getting about Yamato is making me like them less and less. Perhaps I should stay ignorant and just be happy with buying Yammies when they go on clearance.

My idea would be to put the battery box underneath the stand. Think of the hollow area under masterpiece starscream stand for example.

Add a few buttons on the stand itself (like gunpod noise, head turret "pachoo" noise, the whirring noise when a valkyrie transforms etc) and you have solved the problem without destroying the toy's accuracy to the show.

The buttons themselves should be 'very hidden' (transformers leader class Brawl from the live action movie line, has them on his tank turret for eg) and you could be able to set it up so that the stand makes a noise like once every 10 minutes or something like that. hehe

The stand should have the name of the valkyrie itself engraved into it, so to a person looking at it they know it's a VF-19 or a YF-21 or whatever.

Each stand has the sound effect that relate to the valk or the show it appears in. The vf-1 has the same gunpod sound effect that was used in the scene when hikaru kills his first reguld in his 2 seat trainer. But the vf-19 has basara's speaker pod sounds. lol

I really want to hear that old-school "pachoo" sound effect from SDF: macross. I miss it. I would also like to hear that loud noise the VF-1 makes when it takes off. (DYRL has it just as hikaru leaves for his final mission) And also the sound effect for when the engines are starting up. A no-brainer would be a missiles firing. (the scene when roy kills a fighter pod when meeting hikaru in the dogfight on earth).

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

1) Wouldn't it be great if there were? Think outta the box I'd say (at least the arm clips fit).

OK, but then it's really Kawamori you should be disappointed at in that case, for having neglected to design any in the first place.

As for the pricing issue, yeah, they are high. I only bought my VF-22 because it was like half-off. Buying them when they go cheap is a good strategy, the only time it doesn't work is when you have limited items, which unfortunately are becoming more and more common (goddamn you Bandai and your exclusive fists -- yeah, I think I'm gonna put that in my sig from now on, I just can't say it enough).

My idea would be to put the battery box underneath the stand. Think of the hollow area under masterpiece starscream stand for example.

Add a few buttons on the stand itself (like gunpod noise, head turret "pachoo" noise, the whirring noise when a valkyrie transforms etc) and you have solved the problem without destroying the toy's accuracy to the show.

The buttons themselves should be 'very hidden' (transformers leader class Brawl from the live action movie line, has them on his tank turret for eg) and you could be able to set it up so that the stand makes a noise like once every 10 minutes or something like that. hehe

The stand should have the name of the valkyrie itself engraved into it, so to a person looking at it they know it's a VF-19 or a YF-21 or whatever.

Each stand has the sound effect that relate to the valk or the show it appears in. The vf-1 has the same gunpod sound effect that was used in the scene when hikaru kills his first reguld in his 2 seat trainer. But the vf-19 has basara's speaker pod sounds. lol

I really want to hear that old-school "pachoo" sound effect from SDF: macross. I miss it. I would also like to hear that loud noise the VF-1 makes when it takes off. (DYRL has it just as hikaru leaves for his final mission) And also the sound effect for when the engines are starting up. A no-brainer would be a missiles firing. (the scene when roy kills a fighter pod when meeting hikaru in the dogfight on earth).

Has anyone seen the Chogokin Spec Layzner figure? The stand is electronic and looks just like the navigation computer in the show, with soundbytes and speech. It is very similar to what you describe. I don't know if that would work with valks, though, I've always thought of Macross as a little more realistic and less cheesy than other robot shows. Then again, give me a built-in MP3 player with the VF-19 and I'll be so over that because it's just pure unadulterated awe.

Huh?

Add-on packs like TFA Samurai Prowl/Wingblade Ops/Hydro BB are cool ideas. Armor packs for the VF-0/VF-11 and a speaker getup for the new VF-19 would be great. I think that'll help increase figure sales too.

I was referring to the complaint about the fold booster.

Has anyone seen the Chogokin Spec Layzner figure? The stand is electronic and looks just like the navigation computer in the show, with soundbytes and speech. It is very similar to what you describe. I don't know if that would work with valks, though, I've always thought of Macross as a little more realistic and less cheesy than other robot shows. Then again, give me a built-in MP3 player with the VF-19 and I'll be so over that because it's just pure unadulterated awe.

Yeah I have that figure and its cool but if they plan to do that I say,

1- Sell the stands both in sets and stand-alone for those of us that each different valk and don't have each valk.

2- Make the sounds play in HD/high quality by putting good speakers in the base, mind you not top of the line just better than the usual tin-sounding talking doll crap.

The thing is, SK supposedly intended for the VF-22S to incorporate FAST pack "elements" in its core design, thereby doing away with the necessity of FAST/SUPER pack augmentation. The two storage panels that hide the legs in fighter mode were substantially upgraded from the YF-21's, to include internal storage for the twin gunpods (not featured in the Yamato toy, unfortunately), as well as extra fuel and ammo.

On other words, there are no FAST packs designed for the VF-22S because it never needed one.

Agree on those points man!

Also, I need to point out TF toys cater for children and up, while Macross leans more towards adult collectors.

It's really more to do with the company than the franchise itself, IMO. Hasbro almost exclusively markets its toyline to kids. Takara, due to the massive otaku market in Japan, substantially diversifies its demographic to include adult collectors, hence the ML, DL, and MP lines.

renato macross 7 was pretty cheesy.

Valks with boobs man. Valks with boobs. But none with a giant cock.

And don't forget the whole concept of a giant battleship that transforms into a humanoid giant robot and punches holes into things. Why not spin kick or headbutt it? Come on man. It's a crazy japanese cartoon just like pokemon where little cute furry creatures fight for their masters for sport with no regard for the injuries the poor animals (oh sorry monsters) sustain. (selfish kids) Or gundam where people can read a manual on how to control a robot and understand it instantly as if they had been doing it for years.

Truth is Macross is no different.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

renato macross 7 was pretty cheesy.

Valks with boobs man. Valks with boobs. But none with a giant cock.

And don't forget the whole concept of a giant battleship that transforms into a humanoid giant robot and punches holes into things. Why not spin kick or headbutt it? Come on man. It's a crazy japanese cartoon just like pokemon where little cute furry creatures fight for their masters for sport with no regard for the injuries the poor animals (oh sorry monsters) sustain. (selfish kids) Or gundam where people can read a manual on how to control a robot and understand it instantly as if they had been doing it for years.

Truth is Macross is no different.

Ooh, I've got one! It's just the same as La Blue Girl where they have giant demon monsters tentacle-raping young schoolgirls! Oh, those crazy Japanese cartoons!