Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

While I don't mind the surfing quarter, I still enjoy the final battle of the TV series much more than the movie version.

In the TV series, it was clear that the "good guy" fleet was the aggressor and the goal was to commit genocide against the Vajra with the intend of occupying their planet as a colony. And the irony continues, in response, Vajra (with the help of Galaxy) used Ai Oboeteimasu Ka to disorient the human assault force. A taste of their own medicine for those pesky human. That was the crowning moment of the TV series for me.

Also lacking in the movie were the nods to other pieces of Macross work. Luca unleashing his ghosts to use the "Sharon Apple" AI for the final battle. And Minmay picture in the pendent.

Battle-action wise, nothing trumps the awesomeness of Macross Battle vs. Macross Battle in assault mode (even a surfing quarter). Then there was Konig monster blasting Galaxy bridge (point blank range face blast). Alto x Brera aerobatic ballet finished with a 360 area sweep, then followed up with the coup de "grace" :p

Frontier/Vajra queen hybrid just doesn't do it for me. =(

Do we really need an 80's movie end recap showing a picture of each character with the caption, "Ranka went on to be a big star, before ODing on pixie sticks at 22. She will be missed. Alto, at 88 died of a stroke trying to comprehend the plot of Twilight. Captain Wilder? He's finally achieved his dream of making a New Macross Battleship surf it's City down onto a new world, where he discovered Hikaru, Misa and the rest of the people who disappeared with the Megaroad, they had a picnic. Then they all died of food poisoning. HOW MUCH %%*#% CLOSURE DO YOU WHINGERS NEED?!"

:lol:

Edited by Reïvaj

I think it was MF novel. Kim was commanding the fleet defending Earth when Vajra simultaneously assaulted all the human fleet/planets.

Well at bloody last. That was the one thing I didn't like about FB2012, didn't show what happened to crew members like Global, Claudia and the others.

As for the credits, we didn't actually SEE it. Unless I see it, I'm extremely hesitant to believe it.

Oh and how about that Basara-ish VF-1 that Ranka was rockin'?

And Dynaman if you're implying what i think you're implying... I could believe that. :)

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Battle-action wise, nothing trumps the awesomeness of Macross Battle vs. Macross Battle in assault mode (even a surfing quarter). Then there was Konig monster blasting Galaxy bridge (point blank range face blast). Alto x Brera aerobatic ballet finished with a 360 area sweep, then followed up with the coup de "grace" :p

not to mention that there was much, much tighter integration of the music while all this awesomeness was happening

- foreboding intro of Northern Cross was perfect for the start of the counter assault. add in Alto doing his Isamu and Sheryl striking those poses and it's a recipe for goosebummps

- Northern Cross also felt right as the backdrop when Luca was unleashing the Ghosts

- Diamond Crevasse transitioning to instrumental when the Vajra shielded the Frontier

- the pause in the music when Galaxy shot at Frontier was genius. the silence amplifies the suspense of the VB-6 scene

- What 'bout my Star/ Lion surging back as the Quarter swooped in

- drawn out Lion chorus end as Alto was making a charge and everybody else going Rambo, then transitioning to down tempo with fragments of Oboete Imasu Ka as Alto was recalling Michel

- Sheryl reaching a non-lyrical crescendo mixed in with the repeating phrase from Oboete when Hikaru was making his final run. the Oboete lyrics ("I am no longer alone") relevant to the dialogue between Grace and Alto/Brera

- Sheryl and Ranka coming back together on the final Lion chorus when Alto/Brera made their breakthrough

i haven't seen this last episode since probably more than a year ago, yet i can recall nearly every moment of it. in contrast, not one scene in the MF movies has stayed with me despite having seen them more recently and also multiple viewings. at times, the music just felt slapped on, the concert scenes were basically just MTVs which had no particular significance to the plot, and i can't recall a defining moment when the music and imagery really came together

Edited by Major Focker

Credits dialogue notwithstanding, I didn't feel the movie was open ended. Unless you feel that the end credits are proof positive of our heroes ultimate fates, it was a bittersweet ending, but not an open ended one.

Do we really need an 80's movie end recap showing a picture of each character with the caption, "Ranka went on to be a big star, before ODing on pixie sticks at 22. She will be missed. Alto, at 88 died of a stroke trying to comprehend the plot of Twilight. Captain Wilder? He's finally achieved his dream of making a New Macross Battleship surf it's City down onto a new world, where he discovered Hikaru, Misa and the rest of the people who disappeared with the Megaroad, they had a picnic. Then they all died of food poisoning. HOW MUCH %%*#% CLOSURE DO YOU WHINGERS NEED?!"

And so on.

That sounds nice. :rolleyes:

P.S. I am a happy-ending guy. So I like the TV ending better.

Each to their own I guess. Both the TV series and movie left lots of scenes with impact on me.

For example, three particular points really stood out for me in the movie. One was where Sheryl starts singing a capella and Alto wakes up. The second was the stillness as Alto and the Vajra Queen connected followed by Alto ending the triangle. Finally, Hoshikira and d Shudisuta b =)

Edited by ChronoReverse

I don't necessarily feel the need to pick one version and stand by it. I prefer a lot about the tv final battle, but I thought the movie was a blast. They compliment each other well.

I have to say, in case I didn't already, but I so want a toy of the second movie's Macross Quarter, with that refitted bridge.

All of a sudden, something occurs to me. I want a frakking explanation for NUNS! How is that they are so incapable and/or incompetent that SMS, a private military corporation, is allowed to have multiple Macross-type variable assault carriers?

Look up private corporations vs. government and you'll get your answer...Which we will not cover here cuz it enters a topic which this site stays as far from as possible.

All of a sudden, something occurs to me. I want a frakking explanation for NUNS! How is that they are so incapable and/or incompetent that SMS, a private military corporation, is allowed to have multiple Macross-type variable assault carriers?

Following Azrael's sage advice will be a bit tricky in the answer... basically, it boils down to a couple of things:

in-universe

PMCs are a plot tool to describe the state of the New Unified Government and it's armed forces after what basically amounts to all the emigrant planets, colonies, emigrant ships and so on and so forth gaining independence from the Unified Government.

out of universe

it's one of the ways the creative people tried to make Macross appear timely and up to date. Key emphasis on try, as Macross F doesn't even bother with an attempt at an accurate portrayal, let alone make some sort of social commentary on the use of PMCs or explore the effects of their use.

So, ultimately, why do NUNS suck so bad? The same reason their predecessors do in Macross 7: they aren't the heroes of the story!

Edited by sketchley

would you rather get paid big bucks working for SMS (see Ozma's pimped-out compact rice cooker :p), or would you rather get by on a salary that can only get your GF one of your medal on her birthday? =P

I would rather work for SMS, but only after doing service in the Spacey for a few years.

So, ultimately, why do NUNS suck so bad? The same reason their predecessors do in Macross 7: they aren't the heroes of the story!

I'll add onto that, the rank and file NUNS in VF-171s even did better than any nameless VF-11 pilots did in 7, and even comparably to all the cannon fodder pilots that kept blowing up in the original. When someone watching Frontier complains that faceless extras representing the traditionalist military aren't accomplishing much, or worse, that they let teenagers be pilots, I have to wonder what shows they've been watching all these years, or if they just found out there's an anime to go with all those transforming toy planes.

Do you think they'll make a manga to explain Isamu's presence there, like they did for the formerly nameless pilot of the Byalant Custom from Gundam Unicorn?

I think they already did have it in some materials. Basically amounted to he retired to SMS and was at the right place at the right time for him to show up. Really...it's just a cameo.

Following Azrael's sage advice will be a bit tricky in the answer... basically, it boils down to a couple of things:

in-universe

PMCs are a plot tool to describe the state of the New Unified Government and it's armed forces after what basically amounts to all the emigrant planets, colonies, emigrant ships and so on and so forth gaining independence from the Unified Government.

True, the UNG has become essentially the modern United Nations with a NATO like attached military. A federation of sorts with little influence in territories not under its direct control.

out of universe

it's one of the ways the creative people tried to make Macross appear timely and up to date. Key emphasis on try, as Macross F doesn't even bother with an attempt at an accurate portrayal, let alone make some sort of social commentary on the use of PMCs or explore the effects of their use.

If you take it one step further you have to include the sense that the only way to have individualized VF's is for the heroes to be in a PMC. All post SDFM shows favored the generic paint schemes of the military. M7 side stepped the convention (among many other side steps...) by having the hero characters in SOCOM teams, thus providing an excuse for the unconventional paint schemes. However, the fighters were painted the same within said teams to continue the sense of military convention. Even the Jamming Birds followed the paint scheme convention. The only exception was Fire Bomber who were a civilian group.

Edited by Zinjo

But I do have a strong preference for the evil TV version. Flightsuit Grace>Shower Grace. (and only the TV version flies a VF-27 after surviving an assassination attempt by killing all her would-be assassins bare-handed)

Chinese Dress Grace > Office suit Grace? :)

BTW anyone know how to contact Chiba Toshirou for commissions? Something tells me he is a Macross Frontier fan with a knack for drawing Chinese dresses. :lol:

0009mg.th.jpg

I think they already did have it in some materials. Basically amounted to he retired to SMS and was at the right place at the right time for him to show up. Really...it's just a cameo.

Really? I thought it was just another "character archetype cameo" and not THE Ismu Dyson. Similar to to the Guild Bowman clone that is seen as an angry truck driver in Macross 7.

Edited by Freiflug88

Really? I thought it was just another "character archetype cameo" and not THE Ismu Dyson. Similar to to the Guild Bowman clone that is seen as an angry truck driver in Macross 7.

Either way, it's still just a cameo. And that's all it amounts to. Don't know why everyone has is having a party in their pants about the 2 seconds he's on screen.

BTW anyone know how to contact Chiba Toshirou for commissions? Something tells me he is a Macross Frontier fan with a knack for drawing Chinese dresses. :lol:

0009mg.th.jpg

No, it is THE Isamy Dyson himself - hence his name in the ending credits.

Now, I dont claim to have read this myself, but I remember a Japanese fan mentioned to me that one of the novels mentioned that Isamu's father knew Captain Wilder from way back. The assumption then being that Isamu probably knew him too. The reason it took so long for the fleet to arrive was probably because they originally ignored Wilder's SOS until Isamu convinced (probably with head-butting involved - literal brow beating? lol) someone higher up the chain to send the fleet to assist. With a personal stake in the matter he is therefore first to take off once the fleet arrives.

Mostly conjecture, but thats kinda how I interpreted the scene.

If you mean what I think, that "which girl is in that wedding dress?" image that got leaked was a great fakeout, since it was just Sheryl's concert in the movie opening.

There is a poster with Alto in a beat-up exo-suit, holding someone wearing a wedding dress. That's a promotional poster, kind of a teaser that does not reflect any scene in the movie.

I've never seen a Chinese dress so form-fitting, looking like the ones depicted in the recent Macross materials. :rolleyes:

Edited by nanoplasm

Now, I dont claim to have read this myself, but I remember a Japanese fan mentioned to me that one of the novels mentioned that Isamu's father knew Captain Wilder from way back. The assumption then being that Isamu probably knew him too.

Hmm... Are you sure he wasn't thinking of the short stories that detail Isamu meeting Alto's dad...?

Thanks for the clarification.

I've never seen a Chinese dress so form-fitting, looking like the ones depicted in the recent Macross materials. :rolleyes:

I know right? and its such a distraction from the Ozma Lee clone standing in the background. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

LOVED the movies, but they mean more when you've seen the TV show - I tend to fold all character moments into one big giant mashup in my head so it's like looking at different sides rather than separate entities. I definitely prefer the TV ending battle Nyan medley where music and image complement each other, but that being said 'Sayonara' is going to be running in my head for weeks...