Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Brera was inside of Battle Frontier when it was folded away along with Alto, so its impossible to say with certainty what his fate is.

Whether his body did or didn't fold afterwards is irrelevant, it's a dead body unless he can survive his valk being vaporized. (remember that he jettisoned his canopy cover just prior) (Unless he's got a backup somewhere like Grace did---though in the movie-verse, I don't think there are "spare" bodies---surely Grace would have "transferred" if she'd been able)

I found myself enjoying "Open Ranka", myself.

I think it would be awesome if we had the technology to do concerts the way they do in Macross. Just think what a Pink Floyd concert would be like if we had the ability to do a Sharon Apple or Sheryl Nome style concert!

Pretty much, Alto is the main hero so he gets the glory. I just chalked it up to last minute "my valk is destroyed and I need a new one ASAP" And, I figured Ozma didn't want to change from something he knows well right before a major battle.

Edit: Wait a sec. Now I get it. They had the "007" marked on it since they first showed it in the hanger way before, so it was already slated for Alto from the beginning. Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me.

As to why did Alto get the YF-29 and why is was marked as 'SMS007'. My take is that Alto may have had the most time on a -25 with Tornado packs, if so he would have been ready for the upped specs of the bird.

And as for the numbering, his -25 was shwacked so they had no 'SMS007' at the time, it was a replacement and 'SMS007' was open also it may have been marked for Alto anyways. It (YF-29) was most likely in the works at the time right after the first movie due to Alto and the Tornado pack's role. So mixing all that together and I don't think that it is too big of a leap to see why he would get the -29. (not counting the fact that he is the 'Big Damn Hero' ;) )

Anyways, liked the movie, looked outstanding and it felt long - but in a good way. Almost like watching 6-8 episode ova or something (they packed a lot of story into 2 hours!). I am not too crazy about the very end but it works.

Also now I want more Dyson - and after watching 'Archer' on FX I can't help to think that is how Isamu would role as a spy.

Haven't been on in forever and am just catching up with Wings of Goodbye.

First off, where in Basara's name can I find some subs for this?!

Secondly, I've heard from some places that Kawamori said in Animedia that both Alto and Sheryl survived. Is this true?

^

1.) Nyaa.eu shall answer your prayers. :) Oh, man... and don't forget to update your CCCP and install some specialized codecs 'cause them subbers are stubbornly sticking to Hi10p.

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205#guide

2.) Once you have DL'd the movie, just watch to find out what happened.

Edited by soul.assassin

Yeah, i wonder too why Alto's VF-25 didn't explode with a single hit just like everybody else.

Hero armor...

Didn't we cover this already... :p;)

Though I was getting tired of the GI Joe rescues all over the place.

It is unusual when the series is more lethal to characters than the movies.... <_<

Haven't been on in forever and am just catching up with Wings of Goodbye.

Secondly, I've heard from some places that Kawamori said in Animedia that both Alto and Sheryl survived. Is this true?

You'll have to watch it and see...

You won't need subs to find out either... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Somebody ask me why Alto eject himself from his perfectly fine YF-29. I can't really answer that, so any idea?

I thought it was just me who thought Alto ejacting from his plane was unnessisary.

Edited by miles316

I got the impression he had to eject was because, you can't just drop armor packs on the yf-29 like the other VFs. or like in ZERO. That is of course if he was going for the same approach as Shin was, and trying to appear non-threatening.

Whether his body did or didn't fold afterwards is irrelevant, it's a dead body unless he can survive his valk being vaporized. (remember that he jettisoned his canopy cover just prior) (Unless he's got a backup somewhere like Grace did---though in the movie-verse, I don't think there are "spare" bodies---surely Grace would have "transferred" if she'd been able)

Oh come on, it's not like it's the first time he's been blown up. He was on that ship that got a Vajra hug, right? I'm just saying we can't know for sure since we aren't explicitly told, and in modern anime we have to be or else it's all just fodder for fanfiction. Still though, I find it somewhat unlikely that the VF-27 would be destroyed from a paltry explosion from it's own weapon firing at point blank range. Even without the canopy cover they have pinpoint barriers and energy converting armor (it was in battroid, too). Also, the guy is a cyborg.

Either way it was a very dramatic scene, but IMO much too short. I prefer the more prolonged scene in the TV series where Brera and Alto team up to shoot missiles.

Somebody ask me why Alto eject himself from his perfectly fine YF-29. I can't really answer that, so any idea?

First time I watched the movie I was disturbed that Alto would abandon his fighter since in the tv series he was shown as having a lot of regard for his fighter (saluted the Valkyrie after ejecting in final episode).

However, I got to thinking and realized that the YF-29 was made as an anti-vajra fighter. In a way, it symbolized the human's desire to wipe out the vajra. As such, he had to discard it as an act of good faith to show the vajra queen that he was too legit to quit. Or something. Is any of this making sense?

It's also possible that Alto just didn't like the YF-29. I mean, almost none of us do.

Anyway, the part I'm having a hard time getting my head around is why the vajra only wanted to 'rescue' Ranka when so many people are using fold quartz to communicate by that point. Clearly all it takes is an earring somewhere on your person to communicate with the vajra, so with all these cyborgs who are using fold quartz, let alone all the fighters and ships that have used it as a means to extend communication with Ghosts and whatnot... you'd think the vajra would be hearing all kinds of human chatter.

Edited by Product9

Oh come on, it's not like it's the first time he's been blown up. He was on that ship that got a Vajra hug, right? I'm just saying we can't know for sure since we aren't explicitly told, and in modern anime we have to be or else it's all just fodder for fanfiction. Still though, I find it somewhat unlikely that the VF-27 would be destroyed from a paltry explosion from it's own weapon firing at point blank range. Even without the canopy cover they have pinpoint barriers and energy converting armor (it was in battroid, too). Also, the guy is a cyborg.

Either way it was a very dramatic scene, but IMO much too short. I prefer the more prolonged scene in the TV series where Brera and Alto team up to shoot missiles.

First time I watched the movie I was disturbed that Alto would abandon his fighter since in the tv series he was shown as having a lot of regard for his fighter (saluted the Valkyrie after ejecting in final episode).

However, I got to thinking and realized that the YF-29 was made as an anti-vajra fighter. In a way, it symbolized the human's desire to wipe out the vajra. As such, he had to discard it as an act of good faith to show the vajra queen that he was too legit to quit. Or something. Is any of this making sense?

It's also possible that Alto just didn't like the YF-29. I mean, almost none of us do.

Anyway, the part I'm having a hard time getting my head around is why the vajra only wanted to 'rescue' Ranka when so many people are using fold quartz to communicate by that point. Clearly all it takes is an earring somewhere on your person to communicate with the vajra, so with all these cyborgs who are using fold quartz, let alone all the fighters and ships that have used it as a means to extend communication with Ghosts and whatnot... you'd think the vajra would be hearing all kinds of human chatter.

I assume the Vajra can distinguish between the Cyborgs and Normal humans/Zentradi thoughts given the protocultures affinity for the Vajra they might have encountered attempts in the past to infultrate their contiousness with computers by the Protoculture.

He was probably trying to appear non-threatening/showing her the true face of a human.

That's a good theory.

I don't think there's anything in YF-29 that threaten or angered the Vajra. Yes, there are multiple quartz embedded in that plane, but those quartz logically will work for Alto's cause (relaying the song to Galaxy-controlled Queen Vajra) instead of against it. I mean, more quartz should work better than one necklace/earring. That "anti-vajra" specification probably only refer to its high performance.

Also, many people here like or have nothing against YF-29 y'know :p, me included.

Way I under stand it: the Vajra only recognize foldwaves as intelligent communication. Humans can only produce those when they sing while infected with the V-type infection. Even in that case it's not guaranteed to produce fold waves geven the failure of the other (never seen) members of the Fairie program.

The fold quartz is just an amplifier, so all the human chatter send through those crystals would just be background static to them.

2.) Once you have DL'd the movie, just watch to find out what happened.
That's not what I meant (since I've already seen it). I guess I worded that wrong. But what I was asking was whether it's true that ole "Hory Froating Head" stated in an interview that he was amused at people sadder interpretations of the ending and that Alto is alive and that Sheryl did wake up.

More to the point, are u guys admitting to watching Card Captor Sakura?????? :p

Graham

Admitting it and proud to do so. (^.^) CCS is definitely one of the best Magical Girl shows of all time and is my personal favorite Magical Girl show.

Regarding the age versus look thing, I really have no idea why so many people take up issue with this. Am I wrong to say that one possible reason for this could be that, in America and other Western countries, sexuality is extremely taboo whilst violence is much more openly accepted? I mean, The Dark Knight got a PG-13 rating...

Putting aside the fact that we are we dealing with fictional 2D, fictional characters, are we going to discriminate people based on how they look now? Even in the real world, there are many people who look much younger (and act younger) than their actual age.This is particularly true for people in Asian countries.

That's not what I meant (since I've already seen it). I guess I worded that wrong. But what I was asking was whether it's true that ole "Hory Froating Head" stated in an interview that he was amused at people sadder interpretations of the ending and that Alto is alive and that Sheryl did wake up.

We're not sure yet, honestly. There was a translation of an interview from Animedia where Kawamori apparently stated that (paraphrasing here) "the end credits give a hint for what will happen," but the original interview (in Japanese) hasn't been scanned. And since twice (at least), AltoXSheryl fans have simply made up info to suit their needs (first was Shaloom with his "Ohnogi interviews," second was fabricating a Yoko Kanno/May'n interview where they talked about Megumi not being able to sing the Sayonara no Tsubasa songs), I'm waiting until a scan of the original article shows up before I feel I can safely say, "Yeah, Kawamori said this."

Brera's final scene was my fave scene in the movie. The armor was visibly damaged by that point and the valk had lost a leg (and thus, an engine and energy-converting-armor-power-source). So it certainly wasn't at 100% of normal durability.

Plus you know, he'd just ripped out part of his brain...

Brera's final scene was my fave scene in the movie. The armor was visibly damaged by that point and the valk had lost a leg (and thus, an engine and energy-converting-armor-power-source). So it certainly wasn't at 100% of normal durability.

Plus you know, he'd just ripped out part of his brain...

For what's it's worth, I figured he was dead...

But then, he showed up alive at the end of the "Sheryl~Kiss in the Galaxy" manga...

I want to point out the possibility that just having an earring isn't going to give one the ability to "feel" the Vajra consciousness or communicate with others who have the capability to use the fold spectrum. We know that both Ranka and Sheryl have a fold microbe infestation in their bodies... but Alto? He may also have an infection at this point because.... in the first movie, in order to prevent her from getting infected by a Frontier-native virus,he ingested some of Sheryl's blood when she hurt herself. Even though it's never actually stated, that may be why he can "feel" the emotions of those connected to the fold spectrum.

Did Alto really came back? Some of my friends were saying that you can hear his voice somewhere during the credits and I don't hear any. Anyone can enlighten me on this?

Huh...haven't heard THAT yet.

No, I think anyone who thinks he came back is basically relying on Sheryl's earring flash during the credits, not because you can hear Alto anywhere.

I want to point out the possibility that just having an earring isn't going to give one the ability to "feel" the Vajra consciousness or communicate with others who have the capability to use the fold spectrum. We know that both Ranka and Sheryl have a fold microbe infestation in their bodies... but Alto? He may also have an infection at this point because.... in the first movie, in order to prevent her from getting infected by a Frontier-native virus,he ingested some of Sheryl's blood when she hurt herself. Even though it's never actually stated, that may be why he can "feel" the emotions of those connected to the fold spectrum.

I figured that Alto would have contracted the infection at that point as well, but since it was never stated (or even hinted) in the movie then it's only an assumption.

This is the problem I have with this movie, actually: not enough is really explained. Unfortunately Macross's current draw has nothing to do with good story telling... if it weren't for the sweet mecha and awesome music this movie wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

That said I did enjoy it, but mostly for the reasons I just stated.

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays when chibi Sheryl meets Alto? its a variation of Prologue F....

No name because it didn't appear on the official soundtrack release for the movie. A huge shame, i know.

Edited by shiroth