Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

More to the point, are u guys admitting to watching Card Captor Sakura?????? :p

Graham

I used to watch salior moon. CCS never appealed to me much.

And I was happy Alto finally chooses, but I felt bad for Ranka. If you time it just right you can actually see where her heart breaks. I'm going to go with the tv series ending, and believe Alto went with both. I support a threesome ending.

post-351-0-63176400-1320295276_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-93028500-1320295328_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-90266200-1320295423_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I support a threesome ending.

Methinks of this from Stealth:

Lt. Henry Purcell: Yeah! It's not a prime number. See, prime numbers can only be divided by one or itself. THREE is a prime number. The Holy Trinity? The thesis and antithesis that come together to form the synthesis...

Capt. George Cummings: Look! This is not a seminar on metaphysics, son. This is the U.S. Navy. Now we ship out Wednesday at oh five hundred. Dismissed.

Lt. Henry Purcell: Okay. IF he'd let me finish I was gonna say Three's Company, Three Stooges, Three Musketeers, three-peat, three strikes you're out, "Three Times a Lady".

Lt. Kara Wade: Three dimensions?

Lt. Henry Purcell: Three Blind Mice.

Lt. Ben Gannon: Menage a trois. Don't forget that one. Right?

:lol:

Edited by soul.assassin

Suffice to say a hero needs a flying machine worthy of his skills, and it seems that the Durandal found Alto instead of Ozma. I believe the YF-29 was rightfully assigned to Alto because he's the only one ace enough to go through heavy flak, that the plane uses a lot of fold crystals and anti-Vajra countermeasures, and that he carries one of two of Sheryl's earrings -- the fold crystals -- on his person.

Emitting heavy amounts of fold crystal radiation to confound the Vajra, the plane served its job very well in neutralizing the Vajra Queen, without having to kill her outright.

Also, if I'm correct... Alto's (and before that Gilliam's) VF-25 was also marked as "SMS007".

Edited by soul.assassin

Why they let Alto to fly the YF-29 and not Ozma? It has marked SMS-007 before Ozma was "MIA".

I reckon that the YF-29 is still experimental and not safe to be deployed by an Ace like Ozma yet. :p

And Alto wouldn't die from explosion of his valk according to his track record, so he should be doing fine too.

A question that doesn't really mean much. And Im assuming that really was Isamu in the movie. If he had the English voice I sure woulda known :D .

Anyway without me looking through timelines or references how old would Isamu been at that time. Thats of course if we did know a round about age in plus. I wish we coulda seen more of him....

I reckon that the YF-29 is still experimental and not safe to be deployed by an Ace like Ozma yet.

There are a number of cases in real life where an ace pilot refused to upgrade planes - since he knew the capabilities of the plane he was flying, and how to push them to the limit. (plenty that did upgrade too).

But if I had to choose, Regult hit the nail on the head.

There are a number of cases in real life where an ace pilot refused to upgrade planes - since he knew the capabilities of the plane he was flying, and how to push them to the limit. (plenty that did upgrade too).

i.e. Douglas SBD Dauntless > Curtiss SB2C Helldiver (the latter sucked in the performance department, and thus incurred more casualties)

Edited by soul.assassin

I used to watch salior moon. CCS never appealed to me much.

And I was happy Alto finally chooses, but I felt bad for Ranka. If you time it just right you can actually see where her heart breaks. I'm going to go with the tv series ending, and believe Alto went with both. I support a threesome ending.

post-351-0-63176400-1320295276_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-93028500-1320295328_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-90266200-1320295423_thumb.jpg

I see what you did there. :lol: It would have been hilarious if you spliced in a shot of Ralph Wiggum between the Ranka pics.

c'mon, we all know there is no logical in-universe explanation for this.

Alto got the YF-29 because he's Alto, period.

Pretty much, Alto is the main hero so he gets the glory. I just chalked it up to last minute "my valk is destroyed and I need a new one ASAP" And, I figured Ozma didn't want to change from something he knows well right before a major battle.

Edit: Wait a sec. Now I get it. They had the "007" marked on it since they first showed it in the hanger way before, so it was already slated for Alto from the beginning. Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Edited by sharky

About in his mid to late 50s. Macross Plus was in 2030 so if we assume he is like 28 or so Frontier takes places 29 years later in 2059. And yes that was Isamu. Hence why is makes sense he's in SMS. Since it's a private military organization they don't have the rules and restrictions such as age or rank that prohibit flying and all he wanted to do was fly.

Edited by kanedaestes

I'm also not sure how much relativity plays into space travel in the Macross universe. Sure, space fold will get you some place in an instant, but we see a lot of non space fold travel going on as well. Those capital ships may look slow but in all likelihood they're pushing pretty substantial speeds as they travel through the galaxy, which means the people on board are aging more slowly compared to planetside people.

Of course, it's a TV show and it was a cute cameo someone thought would be awesome for the movie, chances are the writers didn't put much more thought than that into it.

I'm also not sure how much relativity plays into space travel in the Macross universe. Sure, space fold will get you some place in an instant, but we see a lot of non space fold travel going on as well. Those capital ships may look slow but in all likelihood they're pushing pretty substantial speeds as they travel through the galaxy, which means the people on board are aging more slowly compared to planetside people.

Of course, it's a TV show and it was a cute cameo someone thought would be awesome for the movie, chances are the writers didn't put much more thought than that into it.

Relativity effects or not, even by his "Eden" age, he would still be fit enough to fly and fight (awesomely most surely) for SMS. And as said, he was born to be in a PMC!

Hell, I'd even dare to say that Isamu would be a co-founder of SMS, and most surely knew Capt. Wilder from before (hint for an SMS story arc/prequel?) ;-)

On another topic, as for my take on the movie...

Lots and lots of eye-candy! AWESOME graphics and action! Sometimes it's even hard to keep up with all that's happening. Just because of that, the movie REQUIRES several watches.

I was kinda turned down by the concerts with nothing really going on of relevance meanwhile. Sure, very cool scenery/coreograph for the Sheryl concert, nice songs as well. But both felt a little like "time fillers" that could have been used better along with something happening at the same time, like the Galaxy infiltration. Makes sense, right? Lots of the population is busy with Sheryl's concert, what better chance to make a move than then, ala Sharon in Mac Plus?

Then, Ranka.... well, I never really liked her character (moe girls are definitely NOT my type), but in this movie they totally tossed the complete loli/kid song/attire over her and us viewers. She may be 15 or 16, but her concert looks something more fitting for a 12-yo Disney/Nickelodeon singer. NOT TO MY LIKING! (maybe I'm getting too old :p )

As for the VF-29... meeeh... they could have came up with just another FAST pack full of fold quartz and the effect would have been basically the same. I'm with others on this: Kawamori just put that in there to sell yet another toy :p

Multiple Mac Quarters.... hell, yeah!!

Battle Frontier as usual looks impressive! But... where's Battle Galaxy?????? ¬¬

Nice Grace redemption!

Way too many "oh-he-died-oh-he-didn't" moments... got a little tired of that. On the other hand, liked Ai-kun a lot better in this incarnation than it's "evolved" form in the series.

As for the resolution... LIKED!

Good thing to see Alto finally making up his freaking mind, although a little late. Sheryl definitely was best for him (I would hit on her!). Too much of a Zero feeling there with the Queen folding out with Alto tagging along. I bet the Queen is having a long chit-chat with old Shin, Hikaru, Misa, Minmey and young Alto.

Did Brera die? Most surely, since he doesn't show up nor is mentioned in Ranka's epilog.

Sheryl woke up, that's a sure thing. Her lips moving along Ranka's song during the ending, her earring blinking and the fact that she starts the last song in the credits by saying "Sorry about the wait" gives credit to this idea, as if it was kind of her "come back" concert along with Ranka.

Did Alto return? Unlikely... but... who knows... this is Kawamori trolling and playing with our feelings yet again.

Edited by Garou Kuroryuu

> She may be 15 or 16, but her concert looks something more fitting for a 12-yo Disney/Nickelodeon singer.

That's it, that is what bugs me about her character - she reminds me of all those disney high school singing shows. Luckily I have boys so they turn those off, but my niece had to watch them when her family came out for a visit...

So, to a certain extent, I have to give Ranka some slack - she isn't that bad compared to Disney HS stuff.

Honestly, during the Ranka concert I kept thinking about how awkward it would be if someone caught me watching it. But the VF-1 CG model more than made up for it!

One thing I noticed in the movie is that Alto seems to be a far worse pilot than in the TV series. By the end of the TV series he was pretty skilled, but he never seemed to reach those heights in the movie.

Oops got my dates wrong for Mac +, I don't know why I put 2030. Also didn't know his birth year I was just going by the average age of a pilot, especially a Navy Leutinent which he basically was.

Edited by kanedaestes

Indeed, compare for example 50 year old Milia Genius in M7 with 50 year old Mao Nome in MF. The former looks like 30 the other like 70. I doubt the writers care much for such little details.

Off course, as fans we can always explain away any differences with Misa's theory in ep. 11 SDFM: 1 hour of folding is equal to 240 hours passed on earth. That would mean a character from the Space war I era (2009) would have had to spend only 76 days in hyperspace to get to the era of Macross Frontier (2059). Bilrers search for Minmay isn't that crazy ;) .

Edited by Bri

In the case of Milia and Mao, doesn't the fact that the former is a Meltran and Mao 100% pure human play into the whole aging thing?

Nice catch with going back to SDFM and seeing how the folding time differences factor into it. It makes for interesting scenarios a la "Gunbuster"

Indeed, compare for example 50 year old Milia Genius in M7 with 50 year old Mao Nome in MF. The former looks like 30 the other like 70. I doubt the writers care much for such little details.

In another M7 Max Jenius reference, Haruhiko Mikimoto said about his age:

"Because he's a genius. Growing old is a state of mind for average men..." :rolleyes:

Being that case it would be unfair for Milia to look older than her former husband.

Edited by Gian