Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Just watched the movie, the songs weren't that catchy, and I didn't like the end [i was expecting some tragedy for Ranka not for Sheryl :( ].

I liked the DYRL resemblances and Isamu's cameo though.

Edited by Gian

I'm very picky when comes to video quality, and I always download from mutiple sources just to make sure which is the best and keep it.

Personally, I think that the Freewind ones were kinda bad in the TV series days(too much brightness, the other sources were fine), thus I didn't dl from them this time. This movie, I have downloaded the 5.38G raw(decay) and the 4.7G raw from 한샛-Raws, I would say the 한샛-Raws is a better copy. Especially when the opening when the camera was panning across the universe, the Decay 5.38G raw shows a very minor 'lagging' (maybe something gonna do with the frames I dunnno), whereas the 한샛-Raws shows smooth motion[i'm using VLC for both raws]. And when compared both watching the final scene, I would say the 한샛-Raws has a very slightly superior graphic(looks more crisp). Just saying. =)

So because you don't like the "type," you want them all to get their hearts broken and dreams crushed...?

Damn. You're hardcore.

Nah, I believe Ranka was out of place, too young (or looked too young). I liked the triangle in SDF Macross, it was more balanced (at least Minmay didn't look like a child)

Loli stuff is a trend I suppose.

Nah, I believe Ranka was out of place, too young (or looked too young). I liked the triangle in SDF Macross, it was more balanced (at least Minmay didn't look like a child)

Nor sounded like a child (with some exceptional moments) nor dressed like a child, nor had childish concerts (yeah, I don't like Ranka at all)

So if they look like a child, their dreams of love should get totally stomped on, huh?

Again, damn. You're hardcore.

Edited by Gubaba

So if they look like a child, their dreams of love should get totally stomped on, huh?

Again, damn. You're hardcore.

Are you trying to make me sound evil? :D

I'm happy because I like Sheryl, and she does look like she succesfully accomplished puberty. Ranka can still get her childish dreams for now on.

Are you trying to make me sound evil? :D

Pretty much, yeah.

I'm happy because I like Sheryl, and she does look like she succesfully accomplished puberty. Ranka can still get her childish dreams for now on.

So if a girl's breasts aren't absolutely massive, and she's not a huge pop star, she doesn't deserve love. Gotcha.

So if a girl's breasts aren't absolutely massive, and she's not a huge pop star, she doesn't deserve love. Gotcha.

Everyone deserves love, but for girls with absolutely massive breasts is a right.

Don't know if Sheryl has won anything either. The Vajra queen eloped with Alto and she's a truely massive girl (don't know about her assets though) :p

I'm glad someone else feels the same way, I was beginning to wonder, lol.

When Ranka is old enough for Alto not to get slapped with corrupting the morals of a minor (from the looks of things that would be in about ten years), THEN she can get the attention...

+1

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

You realize that's Sheryl's seventeen, right?

You realize that ages of consent are different in many countries? Imagine in the space!

Fact: Sheryl looks like a 2D woman, Ranka NOT.

Edited by Gian

All three main characters are minors. Think Ranka was one year younger then the other two. Doubt anyone would bat an eyelash at teen romances, nor is it illegal in most parts of the civilized world.

More disturbing is that the SMS allows underage employees to work in hazardous occupations. Don't hear any people complain about that.

All three main characters are minors. Think Ranka was one year younger then the other two.

Gotta take the stated ages in anime with a grain of salt, Alto and Sheryl acted much older then they were stated as being. Ranka on the other hand looked and acted like a young girl.

Doubt anyone would bat an eyelash at teen romances, nor is it illegal in most parts of the civilized world. More disturbing is that the SMS allows underage employees to work in hazardous occupations. Don't hear any people complain about that.

I have not done so on this board, but my friends and I comment on that with just about every anime show... "in real life this would never happen, even in Japan..." (and for those who are REALLY anal-retentive, child soldiers would be used if the situation was desperate enough)

I agree, it's not just the fact that Ranka had the looks to be literally cast as an 11 year old in the movie episode despite actually being older than Minmay or Mylene, it's that in the TV series Sheryl came out as considerably more mature in feel to start, and beyond that grew more over the course of the series. In the movies this contrast is less pronounced, but there still was an "older woman/younger girl" feel to Alto's choices there.

She can always get some love from this guy:

C'mon, there's only 1 year difference between Sheryl and Ranka. With that said

Nobody likes Ranka...not even Megumi, she likes Clan more. :p

All three main characters are minors. Think Ranka was one year younger then the other two. Doubt anyone would bat an eyelash at teen romances, nor is it illegal in most parts of the civilized world.

More disturbing is that the SMS allows underage employees to work in hazardous occupations. Don't hear any people complain about that.

Alto Turned 18 in the series. And is it any different than the UN Spacey allowing a 16yo to be a pilot (to be fair they were lacking in manpower).

Edited by Solidus Snake

Gotta take the stated ages in anime with a grain of salt, Alto and Sheryl acted much older then they were stated as being. Ranka on the other hand looked and acted like a young girl.

Anime characters tend to have fairly extreme, archetypical personalities. They aren't realistic. Can't see much difference between the three. Alto is a prototype rebel without a cause: identity issues, loses his temper a lot, runs away from problems, coming of age theme. Sheryl acts like the typical highschool teen queen with hidden depth type. Ranka is an airhead type, clumsy, dense and acts overly cute. Non of them strike me as particuarly mature or childish.

Klan's micro form has the typical anime kid features: oversized eyes (in regard to the rest), with shota blush on the cheeks and uses childish expressions. Ranka's design isn't more childish then Minmay's or Mylene's. Main difference is that Ranka has been more influenced by post 2000's moe characters so is loaded with mannerisms that make her look cute and helpless. I guess it depends on the viewer if you interpret that as childlike behaviour or not. It's been applied to Sheryl in the movies to a lesser extent as well.

I have not done so on this board, but my friends and I comment on that with just about every anime show... "in real life this would never happen, even in Japan..." (and for those who are REALLY anal-retentive, child soldiers would be used if the situation was desperate enough)

Hence anime is not realistic. Nor should real world morality be applied to these characters or the viewer. I made the comparison with dangerous employment to show that some people can freak out about sex because that is more likely to hit a sensitive spot. However no person would complain about the immorality of underage kids being put in danger because they realize it's fiction, so there is no need to freak out about implied romance between fictional teens either.

Edited by Bri

They SHOULDN'T be...with a population of 10 million aboard the fleet...

The lack of manpower was reference to SDF Macross. As for Alto and co, it seems that the age of manhood is 16. I guess we can chalk it up to how society changed after post annihilation, just like back in the day you were a man at around 15-16 (talking about medieval) due to poor infrastructure, lack of population, lack of manpower, early death etc.

Anime characters tend to have fairly extreme, archetypical personalities. They aren't realistic. Can't see much difference between the three.

Ranka's character just pushed it over the top for me. The "kiddy" aspect of anime is one thing I do not appreaciate - especially when the characters in question are wearing some pretty sleazy outfits - and are usually acting more like young adults then teenagers. Does that make me your non-typical anime watcher, perhaps.

Here's my two cents on some matters:

Employment age - historically underage teens were recruited to serve on naval ships as midshipmen, or in the army as drummers or runners; in the Vietnam War the average age of a draftee was nineteen, and in Blackhawk Down (the film version) one of the young Rangers stated his age as 17 while being asked by a clerk.

In this case despite being a minor Luca had a good reason to be in SMS: his family company was, after all, involved in the development and production of the Messiahs, as well as being the resident child prodigy.

Fortunately, teens don't drink or smoke in this show, as the age limit in Japan is 20.

Ranka - it's not uncommon in Japan that most girls of her age are petite, therefore she looks like a 14-year old or even a "tween". We can only wonder what brought Kawamori to have her character design done in such a way - was it for the sake of marketing (cashing on the moe trend) or for contrast between her and Sheryl?

Unlike Lucky Star or Clannad, I don't see anything wrong with her being depicted as child-like (and thus provide a characterization contrast), but this is why some jaded anime watchers avoid shows that have child-like teenage characters (there's this hater in ANN who derided MF as a moefest, and extolled SDFM) and gravitate to either "realistic" or old-school character designs.

Revealing clothing - I've seen some pop concert videos with the singer in slightly-revealing attire, but that's the part of her packaging (and I think it's always been that way since Madonna; if some of you thought Ranka's stage attire was bad, Lady Gaga takes the cake for driving her onstage fashion sense to extremes, or Lil Kim, or kiddie "beauty pageants" in some parts of America).

Bri is right though; anime isn't about pure realism - it's supposed to be entertainment (lest you consider Graveyard of the Fireflies).

Edited by soul.assassin