Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Thanks but i really wanted to re watch the movie with the subs on my TV for the 120hz 3D goodness. I can certainly demux the mkv file and remux the right audio but i dont have an .ass to .srt converter for the subs.Tried the vlc player and its not doing anything ;(. Does anyone know any other converter?? Better yet can anyone hardcode the sub to a MP4 file? Ive been using gotsent but it takes 10+ hours to convert an mkv to a mp4 because of my old pc.

hmm... I tired watching the 1080p torrent, and it played ok but their was some noticable tiling on darker scenes while using VCL. I'm downloading the 720p mkv to see what happens.

Go to www.nyaa.eu and download a RAW version by searching "macross frontier decay". That "decay" group or whatever has a big torrent of 5,4G. Then just drag and drop the subs I posted earlier. Image quality is superb and there is no tiling in the background.

Can't get "Open Ranka" out of my head.... :D

Poor Bridge Bunnies of Battle Frontier, getting slaughtered like that. I like the short haired one :p .

Of all wacky costumes Sheryl & Ranka had, schoolgirl Ranka is the best. And if I have to choose, I prefer traditional concert like the one on Alcatraz.

The singer, the band, and reasonable pyrotechnic on the stage. I just can't get into trippy visual "concert" like Ranka's debut. Maybe because I like Seikan Hikou better than Open Ranka, but I just don't feel enjoying those kind of show.

One thing I missed was the shots of the Galaxy invasion over well... the whole Galaxy like in the TV series. Would have been a nice excuse to also show the original Macross on Earth.

That and a fast shot of Bobby and token female being sad about Ozma. That is still a type of triangle, a solved one ages ago but still, Macross can't never have too many triangles.

My biggest disappointment was the ending to the movie. The final episode of the series was perfect for me but the movie just lacked that special something and I think its just because the music wasn't as good. I'll give them credit on the concert scenes though, they were amazing and had me wanting more.

I watched it last night, and I'll ditto your comments above. The ending concert/battle was not nearly as good as the final one from the series. I loved the Firebomber outfits (and who was wearing them!) at the Prison concert, even though I really disliked M7. Finally, I did like the change they made at the very end of the movie.

Check out the paint jobs on the monsters in the foreground;

k4f061.jpg

Didn't notice them the first few time around!

There was a scene in the trailer attached to the first movie (at the end, after the credits) which showed one of these NUNS Monsters in all its glory posing in front of a quarter or Macross Class capital ship (can't remember). That scene definitely GOT CUT from the new movie!!

There was a scene in the trailer attached to the first movie (at the end, after the credits) which showed one of these NUNS Monsters in all its glory posing in front of a quarter or Macross Class capital ship (can't remember). That scene definitely GOT CUT from the new movie!!

That would be http://imageshack.us...ossfrontie.jpg/ . It showed the grey Koenig Monster with Gatling gun arms standing in front of a Quarter.

Niji Iro Kuma Kuma does get stuck in your head. Ranka took the moe dial and turned it up to eleven in that concert.

Seconding the 5.38GB raw, best one from what I've seen. Everything else has various issues. If you want something that's pretty much guaranteed to play easily and look good, get that one. Then apply subs. (I never ever torrent, so I can't help anyone find it that way)

Quasi-bump: Here's the separate .ass subs file again: http://www.mediafire...z9xc4ldmsyhs2x9 Thanks to MW member Solidus Snake.

I can't get any of the video files to play I've tried winamp VLC nothing works mplayerx is conversion software from what I can tell not a media player. I have searched for a decent video file via torrentz,com and can't find anything is there a direct link to a file which will play with VLC.

Use CCCP+MPC-HC.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

The [POPGO][FREEWIND] 7.46 gig raw works with the subs as well. That's what I have been watching and it looks fine.

Yea, that's what I've been using. I think that and Zero-Raws are the best in terms of picture quality. But have a higher bitrate than the rest I believe, so you might want to look for something smaller if your computer can't handle it.

Great movie!! I enjoy it a lot.

But I agree it missed a lot of the edge from SDFM and Plus, everything after that has been too kiddie, and the whole killing to then miraculously rescue of main characters was not to my liking, if you're not going to kill them, then don't waste time trying to.

Am I the only who thinks the whole asteroid surfing was cheesy, stupid and totally unnecessary?

From the opening you could tell there would be a bit of a tie with Zero with the bird human on the Sheryl church concert opening thing.

The ending does bring a finale to the Frontier story, the 25th Macross emigration fleet found a habitable planet to live in.

I guess the queen took Alto to the center of the Universe to trade stories with Shin, Sara, Hikaru, Misa and Minmei.

I hope there's more Macross in the future, there are still stories to be told about the Protoculture and Supervision Army.

of course!

ISAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Time to prepare a kitbash YF19 with VF-25 FAST packs

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Those funny rose-tinted glasses again. Seems that I'm reading some contradictory comments that carried both like and dislike on the same paragraph.

Nah, let's just say that the Frontier saga has inspired me to find and watch all 39 episodes of SDFM... but only if I first get cash to upgrade my hard drive to half a terabyte.

I would really love to see a new OVA about Isamu. I mean of all things it makes sense he would be in SMS, it allows him to fly, he doesn't have to worry about rank or being to high or old to fight, and is with an organization that fits his needs. Like seeing the birth of SMS and him getting into it because those 3 seconds were such an incredible tease lol.

Great Mechanics.DX 17; Pg 103

"VF-19 SMS Isamu Specification

It's equipped with the VF-25's Super Parts. The point where it's equipped with canards makes it near that of the A specification".

And that's all there is to it.

EDIT: forgot the SMS in the specification.

I took Sketchley's translation to mean that the size/postion/shape of the canards show that it is a VF-19A variant or something close to an A variant. Nothing to do with the actual performance of the VF.

Graham

just watched it. i guess i'll be part of the minority that prefers the series over the movies. and i usually prefer OVAs. will rewatch both movies this weekend to see if i can appreciate them more.

some quick comments:

- i liked the triangle resolution. it wasn't exactly original and yes it was bittersweet, but it felt fitting

- songs are far weaker and don't mesh well with the action. the singular exception was the Northern Cross acapella

- i usually get goosebumps from musical scores. quite a few moments of that in the series, a couple in the first movie, none in this second outing. is it still YK doing the score?

- two concert scenes with a full song duration and nothing/very little else happening in parallel. nice visuals, but what a waste of story telling time. concerts were much better integrated in the series. ironic considering the movie was more time constrained and yet chose to do full MTVs.

- the Alcatraz concert is probably the cookiest breakout i've ever seen, but i appreciate it as an homage of sorts, and at least it was advancing the plot rather than just eye candy

- other nods to previous series and other anime were done well. particularly like the DYRL ones ie. stand-off missile attack and hard brake to gerwalk to break formation and engage

- appreciated the added depth to some characters. worked for grace, ranka to some extent, but i'm still confounded with Brera's. liked the additional layers to sheryl and that she's actually not as innocent, but can someone please explain to me what was her motivation for going along with the galaxy plan? she knows she's being used but what was their leverage? or what part of that plan would actually give her cause?

- i usually get goosebumps from musical scores. quite a few moments of that in the series, a couple in the first movie, none in this second outing. is it still YK doing the score?

Says Yoko Kanno and Gabriella Robin (same person) in the credits so yes.

I really loved the credits songs myself (Hoshikira and d Shudisuta b). The first was somewhat melancholic (Nakajima's voice has become a lot stronger) while the second switched over to full scale happy again =)

Edited by ChronoReverse

Meanwhile it's still sad and hilarious that in some forums (i.e. ASuki, MAL) shipping wars persist even after the conclusion of the love triangle.

Yea, that's why I try to avoid both places as much as possible. The shippers are obnoxiously bad there. When there's good content there, it's good, but it's annoying having to wade through all the shipping. Can't we discuss other aspects of Frontier? Like Wilder going wild and Ozma being Ozma

but can someone please explain to me what was her motivation for going along with the galaxy plan? she knows she's being used but what was their leverage? or what part of that plan would actually give her cause?

A mother figure who took you in during when you were abandoned and eating trash in the ghettos of Galaxy and raised you like her own daughter and loved you, asks you to do something for her, you probably would. Especially when you probably don't know the full ramifications of her wish.

Edited by Solidus Snake

- other nods to previous series and other anime were done well. particularly like the DYRL ones ie. stand-off missile attack and hard brake to gerwalk to break formation and engage

I noticed that part too... where Ozma is ordering his squadron after the initial attack. "He looks just like Roy, right there!", I told myself when I first saw the movie.

- appreciated the added depth to some characters. worked for grace, ranka to some extent, but i'm still confounded with Brera's. liked the additional layers to sheryl and that she's actually not as innocent, but can someone please explain to me what was her motivation for going along with the galaxy plan? she knows she's being used but what was their leverage? or what part of that plan would actually give her cause?

My only guess is that since Grace is kind of her mother, she'd be more willing to go along with the plan.

Question for Josue, Save, Tochiro, Renato, Xard, and anyone else who saw the movie in the theater...

On the DVD version, the Vajra Queen very clearly folds, yet I don't remember seeing it vanish in the theatrical version...was that scene altered, or am I just going blind?

Edited by Gubaba

of course!

ISAMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!

Time to prepare a kitbash YF19 with VF-25 FAST packs

Out of boredom I tried combining Yamato YF-19 with super pack from DX VF-25. None of them I have are in proper color, but it works (kinda). That combo doesn't look out of place actually.

I'm sure that properly modified and colored kitbash will look awesome.

post-9548-0-96341700-1320212309_thumb.jpg

Wow, that episode must have been too explicit for TV because the broadcasts in my area stopped at episode 25!

Eps 26? i must be under the same restrictions as you, maybe there was a fan extra? lol

I can't get any of the video files to play I've tried winamp VLC nothing works mplayerx is conversion software from what I can tell not a media player. I have searched for a decent video file via torrentz,com and can't find anything is there a direct link to a file which will play with VLC.

I've been enjoying my copy of the Blu-ray that arrived last week. Having a fansub to go along with the retail copy will make it more than a visual experience! I was very impressed with the packaging. I do not import much in the way of media or toys at the moment, so this was a treat. I've been limiting myself to Japanese and U.K. imports that I can't pass up. Macross is just one of those things.

Speaking of subs...

I noticed that the sweep to Hi10p came with the fall season. I was a little confounded by the whole thing myself, but I found a tutorial that explains how to set up Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with the necessary codecs. Here is the link, in case anyone needs help like I did:

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205

David

There was a guide posted by Technoblue a few pages back that helped me getting the commie subs to work, uses Media Player Classic rather than VLC, takes a little setting up but it works wonders, plus the guide is quite details (with pics) compared to the instructions provided by some of the links found on the nyaa site, check it out : http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205

Edited by Whatever_Guy

Question for Josue, Save, Tochiro, Renato, Xard, and anyone else who saw the movie in the theater...

On the DVD version, the Vajra Queen very clearly folds, yet I don't remember seeing it vanish in the theatrical version...was that scene altered, or am I just going blind?

Hmm... Can't remember just now. I think it didn't clearly vanish altogether, but then that could be just my memory of Macross Zero confusing me. Actually I haven't watched that scene on the BluRay yet....

Out of boredom I tried combining Yamato YF-19 with super pack from DX VF-25. None of them I have are in proper color, but it works (kinda). That combo doesn't look out of place actually.

I'm sure that properly modified and colored kitbash will look awesome.

post-9548-0-96341700-1320212309_thumb.jpg

You know, I actually did that about three years ago. Imagine my surprise when I saw it pop up in the movie.

DAMN! REALLY? I thought the "Open Ranka" sequence was the best scene in the movie...

I guess the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you may not be right for some.

I agree. I keep catching myself saying in my head, while I work "Rirameru rarameru ran rura ran,rirameru rarameru ran rura ran. Open Ranka!". :wacko:

Seconding the 5.38GB raw, best one from what I've seen. Everything else has various issues. If you want something that's pretty much guaranteed to play easily and look good, get that one. Then apply subs. (I never ever torrent, so I can't help anyone find it that way)

Quasi-bump: Here's the separate .ass subs file again: http://www.mediafire...z9xc4ldmsyhs2x9 Thanks to MW member Solidus Snake.

Yup, thanks to the tips on this thread I am now watching it with a much smoother and bigger picture. For some reason the DECAY raw runs on my VLC player, but the Commie just has a blank screen but with sound.

...Am I the only who thinks the whole asteroid surfing was cheesy, stupid and totally unnecessary?...

Even Surf Wilder has to catch some waves every once in a while. :p Yeah, it was cheesy, but I think Macross always had a bit of cheese factor in it to make it fun.

Edited by sharky

You know, I actually did that about three years ago. Imagine my surprise when I saw it pop up in the movie.

Maybe Kawamori himself mix n match the parts, found it to be good combination and then make Isamu as cameo to justify custom YF-19 appearance, not the other way around :lol:

Watched a chinese sub yesterday night, and while I liked it, i must say that the concert scenes weren't integrated as well as the TV series. In fact the concerts seemed too.... extravagant. While the songs are nice (though lacking the wow factor from the series's songs), I thought more effort could have been spent on choreographing the fight scenes instead of creating elaborate scenes.... but thats just me.