Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

My patience is wearing thin.... I may cave soon and watch an embedded video of the movie, but I'm hoping to find a 720 or 1080 version of the movie, along with a subtitle track so I can just package them together. I've checked some subtitling groups' websites to see if any of them are working on the subs for this movie, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of a project in progress. Who would be the most likely to release a track?

Well, I ask because I can just merge a subtitle track together with a raw. I've been doing it with Macross Zero raws off of Boinger's site and finding subtitle tracks off your usual sites. Would be nice to have the movie waiting on my hard drive when the subs come out. I can just click a few buttons, wait about 30 seconds and have a subtitled version for my own personal viewing pleasure! I'll keep looking for a direct-download site in the meantime...

Does any one know a good video converter that I can use to encode the subtitles? The converter I use just outputs plan fronts, with no text shadow, so it gets hard to read the subs.

Any Video Converter is okay to a limit, as it doesn't include all the fancy stuff the subbers have on their MKVs. To encode the vid as seen on the MKV, I'm afraid you'll have to take the hard way by using several tools... unless you pick up Handbrake.

For now, I'll wait for the low-res version..

Any Video Converter is okay to a limit, as it doesn't include all the fancy stuff the subbers have on their MKVs. To encode the vid as seen on the MKV, I'm afraid you'll have to take the hard way by using several tools... unless you pick up Handbrake.

For now, I'll wait for the low-res version..

Handbrake you say.... How about TEncoder? Thanks for the suggestion Soul. :)

I use mkvmerge and mkvtoolnix. Handbrake is a pile of crap; I enjoyed deleting that off of my hard drive. mkvmerge takes a bit of research to use, but it's lightweight and efficient. I was repackaging subs into mkv format for 1080p Macross Zero episodes in just over 30 seconds. I downloaded Handbrake to see if it'd convert to .mp4 or .avi... didn't even work and it was sooooo slooooowwwww.

Is Chinese .ass file alright for u? That's what I did few days back then. Raw and .ass file downloaded separately.

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't read Chinese - I'm a Banana! ;-)

I'd love a English .ass file - the Commie version is horribly encoded - the picture quality shows all kinds of macroblocking. I wish there was an subtitle .ass file for the 7Gb 1080p raw bluray rip.

Edited by wm cheng

Okay, I'm currently downloading the Commie version. They did some kind of 10-bit encode to knock the file size down. They put a disclaimer about using the proper codec for viewing. Are you using a compatible one?

This is kind of crucial, since I can always go back to downloading the movie piece by piece from a source I found.

Thanks, but unfortunately I can't read Chinese - I'm a Banana! ;-)

I'd love a English .ass file - the Commie version is horribly encoded - the picture quality shows all kinds of macroblocking. I wish there was an subtitle .ass file for the 7Gb 1080p raw bluray rip.

I had the same problem with the macro blocking and checked Commie's website. They're encoding 10bit now so I upgraded to the most recent CCCP package and that prettied it up better than a gallon of lager.

http://www.mediafire...z9xc4ldmsyhs2x9 is a .ass file with fonts. I haven't been able to watch it yet thanks to a week-ending workload, but it seems to synch well to the better quality Popgo Freewind raw I got.

Tried that package for a second watching, and it worked perfectly, with no hiccup with the sync! :D

Now I was able to understand, and after the credits rolled, I can also say, this one story rocked my galaxy!

DuSl2.jpg

BTW, I found that little yet magnificent hint.... :)

Edited by soul.assassin

I've been enjoying my copy of the Blu-ray that arrived last week. Having a fansub to go along with the retail copy will make it more than a visual experience! I was very impressed with the packaging. I do not import much in the way of media or toys at the moment, so this was a treat. I've been limiting myself to Japanese and U.K. imports that I can't pass up. Macross is just one of those things.

Speaking of subs...

I noticed that the sweep to Hi10p came with the fall season. I was a little confounded by the whole thing myself, but I found a tutorial that explains how to set up Media Player Classic - Home Cinema with the necessary codecs. Here is the link, in case anyone needs help like I did:

http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/?p=205

David

Edited by technoblue

Overall, I really liked this movie. It provided a brand new story so it kept me surprised rather than just predicting what would happen based on the show. I really appreciated the lack of reused footage from the show (was there any reused footage?). I really hate anime movies that are primarily comprised of reused footage from the show but use a different story (RahXephon movie).

I was surprised that they used the Macross Zero type ending, maybe Alto is with Shin and Sera. I just wasn't expecting such a bittersweet ending. Though it does open the possibility for a sequel, I'd bet on a possible OVA someday, hopefully. What do you guys think?

http://www.mediafire...z9xc4ldmsyhs2x9 is a .ass file with fonts. I haven't been able to watch it yet thanks to a week-ending workload, but it seems to synch well to the better quality Popgo Freewind raw I got.

Thanks, i did't want to waste any bandwidth after i already downloaded the Popgo raw.

Woohoo!!! Thanks so much KillerRobot.

It's past midnight and I've just seen the movie for the first time. Totally worth the wait. Boy am I glad I didn't give into temptation and read the spoilers. As RDclip says, it truly is a new story and one really doesn't know what is going to happen next.

Riding an emotional high right now so I'll wait before posting my thoughts on the film. But right now all I can say is that the word 'awesome' is not quite enough. Looking forward to finally going to be able to read the entire thread and being able to click the spoilers.

I'm too tired now so I have to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. That was friggin Isamu as part of the cavalry, right?!

Edited by Marzan

I was surprised that they used the Macross Zero type ending, maybe Alto is with Shin and Sera. I just wasn't expecting such a bittersweet ending. Though it does open the possibility for a sequel, I'd bet on a possible OVA someday, hopefully. What do you guys think?

???

http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/characters/viewcharacter.php?id=40

What version of Zero were you watching? :)

Saw the subbed version of the second this evening while rewatching the first one yesterday. In one word: excellent. The movie(s) present us with an alternate take on the events of the TV-series much like DYRL. Difference this time is that the movie also improves the main storyline. In my opinion the plot of the movie, while similar, makes a more sense then the TV-series and much less time is wasted on filler. Also the characters have been significantly altered in a positive way. Alto is really likable now, which I previously considered impossible, Sheryl more cmplex, vulnerable and cute, the whiny side of Ranka was removed and she's a lot less clueless.

Some nifty little changes in the side cast, Grace not going Palpetine route and the shota (keep forgetting his name) was actually usefull. Captain Wilder and the bridge crew got a bit more screen time, would have been a waste not to given the top voice actors. Ozma continues being the man of the outfit.

Action was excellent. The Quarter novel approach to atmospheric re-entry really deserves to be called epic.

Fortunately it's not deadly serious. Plenty of comedic scenes and shout outs. It keeps events from getting too dark and helps the transition to phases where reality has to take a back seat to realism. Sometimes it takes further then Macross 7 ever did.