Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Man I almost forgot about this movie. It has been almost a year since I watched the movie and series. I am excited to see for myself what the love triangle outcome is and what suttle changes they made to the series are.

Subtle? LOL. I don't think it's a spoiler to say movie 2 is wholey new and original.

I agree. Frontier was something I loved watching when we were waiting for a new episode every week, but watching these movies now leaves me a bit flat. It hasn't aged well with me.

Yes, but the series in itself somehow felt rushed in a way, like 25 episodes really just wasn't enough. And 2 movies seemed like it was to much! I mean is it just me or did we get a crappier ending than a previous Macross series hint hint wink wink that leaves you going "Why did he do that again?!" And felt to me it was done for no damn good reason.

It seems to me like just a polished version of the PSP games. And that's fine, those games are great. The VF-X2 game was OK for its time, but these new Artdink ones really put them to shame in terms of actual performance, speed and control. Only thing VF=X2 has going for it now is the story, characters and music.

I do like VFX-2, and I do enjoy the PSP titles for what they are....but sure would of liked a nice big story mode that plays around the titles like what we had with VFX and VFX-2....not just being apart of a story that we already know about.

Yes, but the series in itself somehow felt rushed in a way, like 25 episodes really just wasn't enough. And 2 movies seemed like it was to much! I mean is it just me or did we get a crappier ending than a previous Macross series hint hint wink wink that leaves you going "Why did he do that again?!" And felt to me it was done for no damn good reason.

Well, the ending, I can kind of take it or leave it. I didn't want to think too hard about anything, since I was just expecting to be entertained and in that sense the film delivered beyond expectations. It was just a bunch of fun, and it gave me room to NOT CARE about the characters, unlike the series and the first movie, where I felt like "oh come on, shut up, get over it, and let's see this story going somewhere already". I can take melodrama if I'm interested in the people involved, but I'm just not, so I'm glad that it was kept to a minimum for this one. Therefore the ending didn't bug me. I thought "yeah, fine, go ahead".

I do like VFX-2, and I do enjoy the PSP titles for what they are....but sure would of liked a nice big story mode that plays around the titles like what we had with VFX and VFX-2....not just being apart of a story that we already know about.

Yep, I agree, that would be interesting.

No, it was "Both the movie and the TV series are equally valid interpretations of the same events, and all Macross shows are fictional renditions of the real story (which we'll never see)." Or words to that effect.

Essentially, he uses the analogy of WW2 movies. All World War 2 movies are fictitious dramatizations of a real event.

What I take from that is that the primary events of the SDFM series are Macross historical facts (the crash, boobytrap that starts the war, Zentradi attack, etc...) however all the characters and/or minor events may or may not be real people or events from the war. One can take it one step further and suggest that the characters and events may be real, but not necessarily exactly as presented...

We fans are the ones who white knuckle on to things like they were gospel canon, Kawamori san doesn't limit himself like that.

Hence the big debate during the Frontier series of how the Global was somehow a TARDIS capable of traveling thousands of light years in minutes to appear on Galia 4, instead of the obvious explanation that the Macross Warship class continued to be build by humanity until the New Macross Carrier replaced it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Zinjo

Yeah, there's a bit of slowdown with all the flak & missiles flying from giant capitol ships & whatnot, but it is still a demo build of the game so I wouldn't worry too much.

About the ending

Since this is a movie version of a franchise story, the TV series is likely to be the canon version of events. Which would make the canon reason for the story changes necessary to keep the true nature of the Vajra network secret. Doesn't bode well for the U.N. Spacy/NUNS to let on how close Grace came to dominating the galaxy, or to let it be known that the Vajra can be hacked by someone with the V-?ype virus as a bridge. By having an army of Galaxy cyborgs running around, they get to put out more solid anti-implant propoganda. You'll also notice that there's a convenient omission about Galia IV's dead occupant fleet, and LAII's developement of the MDE's. As for Alto & Sheryl, with the general public believing that they're missing/comatose, they're fre to start up a family. Plus they get to cover up the giant Vajra queen by saying "oh, that's an assimilated NMC.

And beofre I forget, the Big Wednesday reference was hilarious. Wilder using the Quarter to surf FTW!

Keith, if I recall Kawamori said that there is "no canon" events. Let me look up the interview.

Here it is:

You know… This is something I have trouble getting people to understand in magazine interviews. For example, you’ve got World War II, and then you have lots of movies based on that event, right? They are all fictional. They’re all based on a war that actually took place, but they are all different. For example, in period dramas you have Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu, but there are so many Oda Nobunagas and Tokugawa Ieyasus. The producers look at the real event and adapt the character according to their wishes. The actors and lines also change, so the character changes. It’s that kind of feeling. OK, so in the timeline you have a movie called DYRL that was released, does that mean that the TV series is the true story? Well, you have the SDF-1 that supposedly fell from the sky, and then a story was made about the subsequent history and was televised. Then that became a movie. Then later, there was a “Macross 7 incident”, and a TV series was made about that. That’s basically how I see it.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30317&st=0&p=760765&fromsearch=1entry760765

On another note. For those who watched the film, did any of you notice that

Sheryl's lips are moving to the last line of Hoshi Kira? Also, her earring starts to glow. Do you think that signals Alto's return and her waking?

On another note. For those who watched the film, did any of you notice that

Sheryl's lips are moving to the last line of Hoshi Kira? Also, her earring starts to glow. Do you think that signals Alto's return and her waking?

this migth be a good answer

post-14140-0-33477600-1319349964_thumb.jpg

post-14140-0-75938100-1319349938_thumb.jpg

Keith, if I recall Kawamori said that there is "no canon" events. Let me look up the interview.

Here it is:

Simply put (and for you kids who are just joining this show), don't fret the details. Walk away with the overall picture. Within the TV series and movie, you walk away knowing the big picture. How they did it is left to interpretation (you can watch the TV series or the movie), but in the end, this was all

Galaxy's fault.

That's all you are expected to take away from this. Anymore and you're gonna go bald from pulling your hair out.

And I'm gonna agree with Graham on this. This film did nothing to change my opinion about the YF-29. That opinion is "Meh." Just another Valk.

You know, when I first saw the YF-19, I didn't like it much. But the more I saw it, and when I eventually saw it in action, it grew on me. I think it had to do with the fact that I didn't like the red coloring at first. I still like the VF-25 much more. But my favorite VF by design is still either the VF-4 or the VF-19.

I think I had a similarly negative reaction to the YF-29 as well, the first time I saw it, due to the colouring. Having said that, its existence is simply and adequately explained when it is introduced in the movie. Moreover, if there had been no YF-29, certain events in the end would have turned out differently. In short, the plane was necessary in a narrative sense and not just as a shiny new upgrade.

It seems to me like just a polished version of the PSP games. And that's fine, those games are great. The VF-X2 game was OK for its time, but these new Artdink ones really put them to shame in terms of actual performance, speed and control. Only thing VF=X2 has going for it now is the story, characters and music.

The PSP games have captured something that's rarely done in gaming, successfully making you feel like you're playing through the actual events of the show. Last Frontier ups that a notch by including a new animation window that synch's up scenes from the movies to the action as it goes on. It's hard to explain, but it's incredibly well done. Add to that the awesome graphics upgrade, and I can't wait to see a full Macross game done this way.

I'll gladly take a retread of events being played through like this, over a game where you play a new story any day.

I like the YF-29, it's got Mid-wing engine nacelles like the VF-4. And it keeps the head and nose and feet of the VF-25 which I like better than the on the VF-27.

Both seeing it in action, and using it in game really improved my view of the YF-29. Exactly for the reasons you've said, it perfectly blends the VF-4 with the YF-19 using VF-25 stylings.

this migth be a good answer

post-14140-0-33477600-1319349964_thumb.jpg

post-14140-0-75938100-1319349938_thumb.jpg

To further that, I think dshootingstarb during the credits is from an actual concert that happens after the movie.

The PSP games have captured something that's rarely done in gaming, successfully making you feel like you're playing through the actual events of the show. Last Frontier ups that a notch by including a new animation window that synch's up scenes from the movies to the action as it goes on. It's hard to explain, but it's incredibly well done. Add to that the awesome graphics upgrade, and I can't wait to see a full Macross game done this way.

I'll gladly take a retread of events being played through like this, over a game where you play a new story any day.

Both seeing it in action, and using it in game really improved my view of the YF-29. Exactly for the reasons you've said, it perfectly blends the VF-4 with the YF-19 using VF-25 stylings.

To further that, I think dshootingstarb during the credits is from an actual concert that happens after the movie.

I think so too. I don't think that we're supposed to

take it as a bad end. Definitely, the whole Sheryl singing the last line of hoshi kira and her earring shining is meant to indicate that she's woken up. This is followed by what sounds like a live concert where fans are chanting

I think I had a similarly negative reaction to the YF-29 as well, the first time I saw it, due to the colouring. Having said that, its existence is simply and adequately explained when it is introduced in the movie. Moreover, if there had been no YF-29, certain events in the end would have turned out differently. In short, the plane was necessary in a narrative sense and not just as a shiny new upgrade.

No no, the explanation is simple: another toy to make ppl buy.

No no, the explanation is simple: another toy to make ppl buy.

mecha anime selling toys? Breaking news at eleven.

YF-29 however is very well integrated to the storyline etc. so I don't see a issue. Of course the new Macross film was obligated to have new Valkyrie unit for commercial reasons but there was no reason it to be handled like it was...and it was handled very well

as for YF-29 count me as aother one of those who didn't like the design initially but after seeing it in movement = awesome

You mean one of his staffers or overlords or something has...Kawamori himself has, AFAIK, never said anything of the sort.

Indeed. I seem to remember his stance being that both the original SDF Macross TV and DYRL were "based on the true story" of Space War One. Why would Frontier be any different. There's a true story out there, but we'll never really see it.

For me, I'll see which one I like more and add that to me personal canon. Though I'm one of the few that absolutely loved how the original triangle ended anyway.

Max n Milia Macross Quarters (j/k - color schemes)

http://i52.tinypic.com/2pt10fc.jpg

Although the number '23' suggests it is from Macross 23 fleet??

http://i53.tinypic.com/fnr4er.jpg

Isamu VF-19 w/new fast pack

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ag146u.jpg

Nanase finally makes a come back... :/

I thought the blue/white color was a homage to the TV series sdf-1 macross

Indeed. I seem to remember his stance being that both the original SDF Macross TV and DYRL were "based on the true story" of Space War One. Why would Frontier be any different. There's a true story out there, but we'll never really see it.

For me, I'll see which one I like more and add that to me personal canon. Though I'm one of the few that absolutely loved how the original triangle ended anyway.

For me, SDF Macross will ALWAYS be cannon, DRYL was either just a movie within a movie, or an alternate reality version of SDF Macross. As for Macross Frontier:

After hearing about and finally actually seeing the movie ending, I'm going to stick with the T.V. series as cannon as I much prefer that ending over the movie version.

Oh, and Macross 7 NEVER actually happened, lol.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

For me, SDF Macross will ALWAYS be cannon, DRYL was either just a movie within a movie, or an alternate reality version of SDF Macross. As for Macross Frontier:

After hearing about and finally actually seeing the movie ending, I'm going to stick with the T.V. series as cannon as I much prefer that ending over the movie version.

Oh, and Macross 7 NEVER actually happened, lol.

-Kyp

If thats the case. Then I'm going to pretend RT was a horrible butchered version of Macross, that was done by Lynn Kaifunn, for broadcast on the Macross 11 fleet. :ph34r:

If thats the case. Then I'm going to pretend RT was a horrible butchered version of Macross, that was done by Lynn Kaifunn, for broadcast on the Macross 11 fleet. :ph34r:

While I admit that if it weren't for RT, I'd have never known about Macross (It's all we had in the states back in 1985), I pretty much pay RT no attention anymore. I like the ORIGINAL SDF Macross much, much better, lol.

-Kyp