Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Got mine earlier. Some quick thoughts:

Game = AWESOME!! As expected, it only covers Itsuwari no Utahime & Sayonara no Tsubasa, but it plays perfectly, everything is beautiful, and once you see how much flak comes from any given Vajra capitol ship, you'll know that this is what everything before was building up to. OMG!!

Also, plays more like MUF than MTF, I'm guessing the newer missile lock mechanic wasn't super popular. There are 10 stages, 5 for each movie, an like the demo last year the first round of stages have locked characters/mecha, and once you beat them all, you can play with mecha/characters you've unlocked. There's a decent amount of Trophies, and so far no sign of being able to level up mecha. Also, the YF-29 is teh hotness!!

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I did check out some of the extra's, and peak at a couple scenes. The encodingi s phenominal, this is probably the prettiest bluray, anime or otherwise, I've ever seen. I'll probably watch the movie this afternoon. Don't waste time with sh!tty youtube riips, you need to see this proper to appreciate it.

I'm only going to say this once since people don't bother to do any research.

THE BLU-RAY/DVD DOES NOT HAVE ANY SUBS IN ANY LANGUAGE. STOP ASKING IF THEY DO. IF YOU WANT SUBS, YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE FOR SOMEONE TO SUB IT.

Watched and all i have to say is... DAMN YOU SHOJI!

Hopefully if Kawamori does another Macross show and the Vajra will still be around

So I take this is at the same time compliment for the film and curse at Sho-chan's trolling habits? :D

Just finished the movie, and DAAAAAMMMMNNNN!!! My new favorite movie. So much awesomeness contained in less than 2 hours should be against the law.

-Epic Grace Redemption

-YF-29 is officially the cadillac of Valkyries, complete with fins.

-Even Ai-kun has abandoned Ranka for Sheryl! :)

I'm still processing everything, but talk about a great way to one up previous works. Anyone who hates this movie should just quit watching anime right now, you obviously don't deserve to.

Today was a horrible day.

Until I got home from work to find a package waiting for me!

The special edition box set was worth every single penny. I spent a good 45 minutes gushing over it before I even started watching the movie! All that I can say is that the movie was well worth the long wait. The only thing that will make it better is subtitles.

My film clip was from

Ranka's debut concert

. I'm so glad that I didn't get stuck with one of the anti-piracy clips!

Since many people have yet to receive their copies or are waiting to see a decent (i.e., in 1080p) raw, the spoiler policy will remain at least through the weekend. We will let you know when the policy is lifted.

And before anyone asks, SUBS WILL BE OUT WHEN THEY'RE OUT. No sooner. No later.

Got mine earlier. Some quick thoughts:

Game = AWESOME!! As expected, it only covers Itsuwari no Utahime & Sayonara no Tsubasa, but it plays perfectly, everything is beautiful, and once you see how much flak comes from any given Vajra capitol ship, you'll know that this is what everything before was building up to. OMG!!

Also, plays more like MUF than MTF, I'm guessing the newer missile lock mechanic wasn't super popular. There are 10 stages, 5 for each movie, an like the demo last year the first round of stages have locked characters/mecha, and once you beat them all, you can play with mecha/characters you've unlocked. There's a decent amount of Trophies, and so far no sign of being able to level up mecha. Also, the YF-29 is teh hotness!!

I haven't watched the movie yet, but I did check out some of the extra's, and peak at a couple scenes. The encodingi s phenominal, this is probably the prettiest bluray, anime or otherwise, I've ever seen. I'll probably watch the movie this afternoon. Don't waste time with sh!tty youtube riips, you need to see this proper to appreciate it.

Hey Keith, do you get alot slowdown during the Vajra battle with the Konig, or the battle at the theater platform? I notice when there's alot of enemies, I get major slow down. Still, love the game. Jesus, when will we get a full PS3 game.I want something like Triangle Frontier, but in PS3 HD graphics!

What film cel did y'all end up with?

I didn't get so lucky this time. I got a film strip of when Frontier lands on the Vajra home planet (at least it wasn't the anti-piracy clip). I still have the other blu-ray disc in the box set, but I'm not going to open it. I like to think I have good one in it, along with the other sealed copy of the first movie.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I watched it again with my brother this time who is also a huge macross fan.

He was pretty grim about the final resolution to say the least.

Cant recall what he said verbatim but it was more along the lines of -

"O.K Shoji always does this kinda stuff with the heroes of the macross universe but you dont just leave Sheryl in a comatose state and close the book on the series, WTF!"

With Macross Frontier being a HUGE success for the franchise and introducing it to a new group of young fans hopefully Shoji will work on something new, i dont think its the last we have heard of the Vajra and it would be pretty rad to see reference to the "sleeping idol" in a future series.

Yeah, there's a bit of slowdown with all the flak & missiles flying from giant capitol ships & whatnot, but it is still a demo build of the game so I wouldn't worry too much.

About the ending

Since this is a movie version of a franchise story, the TV series is likely to be the canon version of events. Which would make the canon reason for the story changes necessary to keep the true nature of the Vajra network secret. Doesn't bode well for the U.N. Spacy/NUNS to let on how close Grace came to dominating the galaxy, or to let it be known that the Vajra can be hacked by someone with the V-?ype virus as a bridge. By having an army of Galaxy cyborgs running around, they get to put out more solid anti-implant propoganda. You'll also notice that there's a convenient omission about Galia IV's dead occupant fleet, and LAII's developement of the MDE's. As for Alto & Sheryl, with the general public believing that they're missing/comatose, they're fre to start up a family. Plus they get to cover up the giant Vajra queen by saying "oh, that's an assimilated NMC.

And beofre I forget, the Big Wednesday reference was hilarious. Wilder using the Quarter to surf FTW!

Im pretty satisfied with the ending. Shoji said he would resolve it just not in the way we were all expecting.

Future and ending?

Alas we can only see what will be cannon in the next Macross project if there ever is one, the man needs a break from the franchise i guess but it would be dumb not to continue on with the momentum frontier has built.

An interview will pop up eventually answering a few questions about continuity in the future.

Thing is Battle Galaxy is still out there some where and in the future they may find it an unassimilated from the queen and all in ruins, but with a Vajra hive inside ;)

Who knows maybe Alto is hanging out with Shin some where *sigh*

Edited by tali21

didn't understant anything, so where did alto went after folding?? i'm not sure, but it seems Alto told Sheryl that he loves her, am i correct? And rejected Ranka?

1. Nobody knows where Alto went off to... Wherever it was, as Josue pointed out after we saw the movie, I hope it has a breathable atmosphere...since he's got nothing covering his face...

As for Sheryl and Ranka, yes and yes.

Yeah, there's a bit of slowdown with all the flak & missiles flying from giant capitol ships & whatnot, but it is still a demo build of the game so I wouldn't worry too much.

About the ending

Since this is a movie version of a franchise story, the TV series is likely to be the canon version of events. Which would make the canon reason for the story changes necessary to keep the true nature of the Vajra network secret. Doesn't bode well for the U.N. Spacy/NUNS to let on how close Grace came to dominating the galaxy, or to let it be known that the Vajra can be hacked by someone with the V-?ype virus as a bridge. By having an army of Galaxy cyborgs running around, they get to put out more solid anti-implant propoganda. You'll also notice that there's a convenient omission about Galia IV's dead occupant fleet, and LAII's developement of the MDE's. As for Alto & Sheryl, with the general public believing that they're missing/comatose, they're fre to start up a family. Plus they get to cover up the giant Vajra queen by saying "oh, that's an assimilated NMC.

And beofre I forget, the Big Wednesday reference was hilarious. Wilder using the Quarter to surf FTW!

Kawamori doesn't really give two shits about "canon" and given that film version follows in few regards Kawamori's original plans (resolution!) and he got over some regrets (no guilt anymore over Ranka's treatment) I wouldn't be surprised if film version of the storyline isn't the more finalized and definitive in his mind. Personally I'd prefer this too.

In practise of course this doesn't matter at all because Kawamori is loose ball with whole concept of "canon" anyway. Expect references to both narratives in future titles

just watched movie myself & was awesome i think still better than transformers

Yeah, but then so was my blood-test resulting in losing consciousness and valium-enhanced stomach x-ray with subsequent laxative-induced adventure last week. :p

Im pretty satisfied with the ending. Shoji said he would resolve it just not in the way we were all expecting.

Future and ending?

Alas we can only see what will be cannon in the next Macross project if there ever is one, the man needs a break from the franchise i guess but it would be dumb not to continue on with the momentum frontier has built.

An interview will pop up eventually answering a few questions about continuity in the future.

Thing is Battle Galaxy is still out there some where and in the future they may find it an unassimilated from the queen and all in ruins, but with a Vajra hive inside ;)

Who knows maybe Alto is hanging out with Shin some where *sigh*

Quick correction

That's Battle Frontier, not Battle Galaxy

As for the whole issue of canon, while it's possible he may change his mind, Kawamori has remained pretty staunch about keeping hte original TV series as canon, don't see why he'd change his mind here.

As for the whole issue of canon, while it's possible he may change his mind, Kawamori has remained pretty staunch about keeping hte original TV series as canon, don't see why he'd change his mind here.

You mean one of his staffers or overlords or something has...Kawamori himself has, AFAIK, never said anything of the sort.

Just got my limited edition in here in Georgia. May be I should be a jerk and film me flipping through the booklets etc. :D

May be Ill do that after work monday. I love the two PS3 themes but the text really should have been black its too hard to see.

Edited by Sorata

You mean one of his staffers or overlords or something has...Kawamori himself has, AFAIK, never said anything of the sort.

It wasn't him who said something to the effect of "you can view it this way or that way, but the storyline follows the TV series." It's been so damn long.

Plays a lot like VFX-2 too it seems....

I watched the movie, just finished it. I'm a bit mixed just as I was with the first film. guess I'll hold full judgement when subs are out but it wasn't that hard to understand with my very limited knowledge of the language. but yeah, good plot twists.

I watched the movie, just finished it. I'm a bit mixed just as I was with the first film.

I agree. Frontier was something I loved watching when we were waiting for a new episode every week, but watching these movies now leaves me a bit flat. It hasn't aged well with me.

It wasn't him who said something to the effect of "you can view it this way or that way, but the storyline follows the TV series." It's been so damn long.

No, it was "Both the movie and the TV series are equally valid interpretations of the same events, and all Macross shows are fictional renditions of the real story (which we'll never see)." Or words to that effect.

It was something like, "if you look at it this way, it's like the series; if you look at it this other way, it's like the movie", etc.

Plays a lot like VFX-2 too it seems....

It seems to me like just a polished version of the PSP games. And that's fine, those games are great. The VF-X2 game was OK for its time, but these new Artdink ones really put them to shame in terms of actual performance, speed and control. Only thing VF=X2 has going for it now is the story, characters and music.

Man I almost forgot about this movie. It has been almost a year since I watched the movie and series. I am excited to see for myself what the love triangle outcome is and what suttle changes they made to the series are.

I also am interested in seeing what the outcome is Michael and Klan Klan are in this alternative movie take.

Edited by NastyNate