Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Can any japanese reader tell me if the Blu ray is region free?? Otherwise I'll have to settle for the DVD (NOOOOO!!!)

Well if I recall America, Canada, and Japan are both region A.

So their shouldn't be a problem

Well if I recall America, Canada, and Japan are both region A.

So their shouldn't be a problem

As long as you happen to live in Japan or North and South America sure. If you happen to live in Europe or Australia you're in Region B.

That being said, the first movie was released as a region free Blu-ray so it might be worth waiting until it's confirmed one way or the other before settling for the DVD.

I thought all Blu-rays were region-free.

It's a myth based on the fact that the US and Japan are the same BD region (which is one of the main import paths for games/movies). But there are regions, just like DVD's---but fewer regions, so more countries share the same region than before.

I don't know if all Blu-ray are region-free. But I'm French (so in the region B) and I can watch each Blu-ray of Bandai that I own. The first movie was also region-free.

Thanks. Glad to hear to it. It would be rather unusual to have the first film being region free for the second one not to be so.

Looks like CD Japan isn't going to make the same mistake as with the first movie and already has this movie up for pre-order on their site, so those who prefer to go through them it's announced directly on their main page.

HMV Japan has the DVD up for pre-order but not the Blu-rays as of yet.

The only place that will likely have an issue this time is still Amazon Japan. Everywhere else should be cool.

What issues or mistakes are both you referring to?

What issues or mistakes are both you referring to?

Amazonjp considers the release a game because of the included demo, and refuses to ship games & toys internationally.

Also CD Japan initially refused to handle the sales of the first movie Blu-ray as it came packaged with a game. Which technically classifying the whole thing as a game to them; and not wanting to step on any regional licensing issues or something like that, they refused it for sales outside of Japan.

Keith contacted them I think about it and that was basically their response. They eventually changed their mind but by then we already ended up taking our sales elsewhere who would sell it to us.

They not doing that again for this second movie. Wonder how many sales they lost due to that initial decision.

Also CD Japan initially refused to handle the sales of the first movie Blu-ray as it came packaged with a game. Which technically classifying the whole thing as a game to them; and not wanting to step on any regional licensing issues or something like that, they refused it for sales outside of Japan.

Keith contacted them I think about it and that was basically their response. They eventually changed their mind but by then we already ended up taking our sales elsewhere who would sell it to us.

They not doing that again for this second movie. Wonder how many sales they lost due to that initial decision.

The weird thing was they actually were exporting games at the time, they just had an issue with the hybrid pack for some reason. Obviously this time, they've no such issue.

I want the boxset but I don't speak Japanese :( :( :(. If there were english subs the films and series instant buy or rather pre-order right now.

If you've seen Frontier, you should have a general idea of the story. If you've seen a decent amount of subtitled anime, you should be able to pick up a bit on what's going on in the dialogue. Never be afraid of raw anime, especially when it won't be licensed in the forseeable future, and comes with an awesome game demo.

I watch tons of anime subtitled and yes i do get some of it, but still i would like to be able to know the story as I watch it. I may download the raw but as far as owning I would much rather have the subtitled version. As far as the game demo, as others have said in the game thread as cool as it is if it's not a full game I can wait for a full version of a Macross game on PS3. I have my psp titles till then.

Buy the official DVD, then wait for a subtitled version to release. It didn't take long for someone to put a 1080p version of the first movie out there for download. As long as you own a legitimate copy, it should be okay to download a copy of the movie so you can enjoy the entire thing.

Edited by frothymug

Buy the official DVD, then wait for a subtitled version to release. It didn't take long for someone to put a 1080p version of the first movie out there for download. As long as you own a legitimate copy, it should be okay to download a copy of the movie so you can enjoy the entire thing.

I would not have a problem with it and I doubt a studio is going to go after you, but it is technically not legal to do this (here in the US), it could be considered breaking the DMCA.

Semantics here, but isn't that the same thing as mixing your own CDs of songs coming from CDs you already own? As long as you are the only one using those CDs, is that legal?

Besides, does the DMCA apply to products that aren't officially released in the US?

Semantics here, but isn't that the same thing as mixing your own CDs of songs coming from CDs you already own? As long as you are the only one using those CDs, is that legal?

CDs are not copy protected (generally - there have been attempts to make them protected), so you are not circumventing copy protection by making a copy - and thus avoiding the DMCA (which makes it illegal, more or less, to break copy protection, I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, yada yada yada)

The other major difference is you are NOT just copying something you bought - you bought a non-subtitled disk, by downloading a subtitled version you are technically getting something you did not pay for, if you somehow had seperate subtitles and a disk and managed to merge them yourself then that is OK (as long as you don't copy a copy protected disk by breaking the copy protection...)

Besides, does the DMCA apply to products that aren't officially released in the US?

Short answer - yes it does since Japan and the US have mutual trade protection laws in place. Long Answer - there may be a loophole somewhere...

Edited by Dynaman

if you somehow had seperate subtitles and a disk and managed to merge them yourself then that is OK (as long as you don't copy a copy protected disk by breaking the copy protection...)

Looks like that's the only legal way to go.

See: http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/beginner/begin.html#q8_4

and: http://www.cric.or.jp/cric_e/clj/clj.html

ok so the chance of a subtitled release for the second movie is next to none despite the fact that the Blu-Ray disc is in the same region as North America? Aargh, i'd like to watch it but don't want to buy the entire thing only to not understand a word of it.

Rationalize harder.