Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

I found the movie soundtracks to be pretty decent, Sheryls and Rankas songs were very hit and miss though,but the musical scores where top notch.

I'm really liking it so far. Without seeing the context of the movie, there seems to have been a big effort to mature Ranka's songs. Maybe it's just Megumi getting a bit older, but even Seikan Hikou has some nice depth added to it.

After listening to more, I really love this album. A bit darker & more solem than the rest of the Frontier stuff, this is more of Kanno's Escaflowne/Turn A/Aquarion vibe going on, and it works. I wish she had put this level of writing into more of Sharon Apple's songs. Wanna Be An Angel is close, but this stuff is so much better.

Edited by Keith

It's OK. As long as it's positive, us residents would appreciate a bit of escapism (blanket coverage of the earthquake is on 80% of the TV channels.)

Agreed. A semblence of normality always soothes the troubled soul. Fortunately, it's seems most involved in Macross are okay with reports from May'n, Mamegu, Aya Endo and so on. It apears even the Holy Floating Head himself was out of the country at the time. Hopefully good news comes of those that are currently missing. :(

I haven't heard all the of the album yet, but I've been liking what I have.

I just deleted the pics, as I have yet to discover how to spoiler-tag-edit an embedded pic in the newest forum upgrade.

I don't think there was anything terribly spoiler-y there...although I guess I can see how it would pique one's curiosity.

But yeah...it's a very small, not-terribly-important part of the film.

Yeah, but some people hate ANY spoilers. I don't consider myself "spoiled" but in the interest of preserving it for others, I got rid of them.

I know, I'm just sayin'... To any of you who THINK you saw a big spoiler...you didn't.

What was the box office figure for the False Songstress? I think it was under 5 million?

If so, I'd say the Sayonara Wings has already met the quota... Given the atmosphere in Japan that everyone is not in a mood to go to a movie.

The fact that its actually IN the mainstream charts for weeks is in itself amazing. I know Im repeating myself here but this isnt a mainstream property. Its very niche. The fact that they got posters on the trains on the JR Yamanote Line continuously blows my mind. But you just cant compare it to something like Gantz, for example, which housewives and tweenyboppers alike rush to see. Between the movie, the OST and merch sales, there is no way the film has been a flop. I saw it a 5th time on Saturday and the cinema was still half full despite the current situation here in Japan. Heck, we had an earthquake in the middle of the movie and no-one left!

So anyways, just my 2-yen, but these sort of box office comparisons are rather pointless imo.

It's only in a small handful of theaters and is having a great average. I would love to see it do better, but considering how few theaters is actually carrying it, I can't complain either.

By the way, I finally got the Wings of Goodbye soundtrack, and love it!!!

Yen:

今 先   累計    週末 scr 週 題

11/21-22 *9 -- *86,859,312 86,859,312 30 1 虚空歌姫

11/28-29 *9 *9 218,694,722 52,989,482 30 2 虚空歌姫

12/05-06 *8 *9 330,830,704 41,849,742 30 3 虚空歌姫

12/12-13 11 *8 386,535,433 29,568,883 30 4 虚空歌姫

12/19-20 14 11 437,610,303 18,364,524 31 5 虚空歌姫

US $1 = 80.54 Yen

(4th week, 400,463,887)

今 先   累計   週末 scr 週  題

2/26-27 *3 -- 1,448,102 1,448,102 38 1 恋離飛翼

3/05-06 *7 *3 3,417,093  774,927 38 2 恋離飛翼

3/12-13 *8 *7 4,361,068  272,034 28 3 恋離飛翼

3/19-20 11 *8 4,972,236  332,920 33 4 恋離飛翼

Edited by kresphy

The fact that its actually IN the mainstream charts for weeks is in itself amazing. I know Im repeating myself here but this isnt a mainstream property. Its very niche. The fact that they got posters on the trains on the JR Yamanote Line continuously blows my mind. But you just cant compare it to something like Gantz, for example, which housewives and tweenyboppers alike rush to see. Between the movie, the OST and merch sales, there is no way the film has been a flop. I saw it a 5th time on Saturday and the cinema was still half full despite the current situation here in Japan. Heck, we had an earthquake in the middle of the movie and no-one left!

So anyways, just my 2-yen, but these sort of box office comparisons are rather pointless imo.

I concur, I even saw a few trains(not sure if they are the same ones) with their exterior entirely covered with Frontier adverts. Even in Osaka and Kyoto I saw posters and banners in most of the shopping complexes and major train stations.