Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

^Nice comic that plays on the ending to the Gundam 00 movie.

Thanks to all that went to see the movie in Japan and kept it alive for us on the other side of the planet. I have been very anxious to see the outcome in this series. Still very excited about seeing this one for my self when it comes out in a year. But now that my questions are answered I can bare the wait much better. :D

I think Since the movie is still not cannon over the series I think I still might just make up the ending I like in my mind anyways. ;)

Well what i know is that

Yes, Alto rejects Ranka and then confess his feelings to Sheryl but inmediatly dies or is MIA because he gets caught in the fold made by the Vajra Queen, Mikhail survives and Klan too

My mind is officially blown, awesome!

My mind is officially blown, awesome!

I shouldn't have read that, but ya a year is a long time,

so...

SK keeps sending his heroes out to deep space, I wonder what he has planned for his final

macross story. Do Shin and Alto end up with the megaroad? We may all be 70 years old by then!

it is dangerous to lurking around the animesuki thread...

many spoiler everywhere...

and i am the victim here...some guy screaming about the ending without spoiler tag.... crazy...

now i already know the ending and feel tottaly SAD....i cant even sleep last night...

if u already know the ending... u will feel sad and a bit happy ... or maybe anger..

...... it will make u want to see it...more than u can imagine....

and to wait a year feels like hell to me...

Edited by moncikoma

I shouldn't have read that, but ya a year is a long time,

so...

SK keeps sending his heroes out to deep space, I wonder what he has planned for his final

macross story. Do Shin and Alto end up with the megaroad? We may all be 70 years old by then!

It does make you wonder

Kawamori is following a decided pattern. He could be setting up things for his eventual endgame. Fact of the matter is, we do have quite a pile up of lost heroes at the center of the galaxy, and a major unresolved issue of a Protoculture test to see if humanity is worthy of succeeding them. He's been majorly dancing aorund this issue since Zero, and likely already has in mind how he wants to end things in a big Macross finale.

Of course, this is also the man who invented the Wing Goddess ending, one of the cruelest teases is entertainment history.

it is dangerous to lurking around the animesuki thread...

many spoiler everywhere...

and i am the victim here...some guy screaming about the ending without spoiler tag.... crazy...

now i already know the ending and feel tottaly SAD....i cant even sleep last night...

if u already know the ending... u will feel sad and a bit happy ... or maybe anger..

...... it will make u want to see it...more than u can imagine....

and to wait a year feels like hell to me...

Hey, you're here too? It's me, one of your customer :D.

Anyway mon, you'll always have TV ending if this movie bothered you so much. You can think this movie as alternate plot.

Not that I want to open another discussion on which one is canon.

One question:

About Isamu, did his face shown or voice only? And what VF he used?

BTW how did the YF-29 performed ?

It kicked major ass. And for all that everyone was complaining that test planes were rolling out too fast (VF-25, VF-27, and YF-29 all coming out in less than a year of each other), I thought they made the YF-29 make sense.

Meh. They're all 'shippers over there. :p

Yup. Part of the reason I generally avoid that board like the plague. :D

Time to settle in for months and months of careful spoiler avoidance only to have it all ruined by some jackass posting on a Youtube video on in a Facebook thread something vital as if it were common knowledge. :rolleyes:

Doesn't help that people never get that posting even general reactions can be a spoiler itself. Thanks to an above post, I get the vibe that it's none too happy. I only have the sanctity of non-confirmation. :mellow:

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Yup. Part of the reason I generally avoid that board like the plague. :D

Time to settle in for months and months of careful spoiler avoidance only to have it all ruined by some jackass posting on a Youtube video on in a Facebook thread something vital as if it were common knowledge. :rolleyes:

Doesn't help that people never get that posting even general reactions can be a spoiler itself. Thanks to an above post, I get the vibe that it's none too happy. I only have the sanctity of non-confirmation. :mellow:

Don't worry. Everyone who hasn't seen the movie is focusing on the ending, which is only one of many, many pleasures offered by the movie...and not even the greatest one. Not by a long shot.

The problem for is that people keep asking me questions like, "Don't so-and-so live or die?" and answering that question opens up a host of other topics that really WILL ruin the movie for people.

Think of it like episode 17 of Frontier...if someone hadn't seen that and said, "I get the feeling Ozma's gonna die. Does he? Don't tell me anything else." Well...you could answer it, I suppose, but it takes away all the tension of the episode.

What people are sad about has nothing to do with what you'll remember most after the movie's over.

EDIT: One thing that I am worried about, however, is that this is very much a "big screen" movie. I'm worried that it'll seem unimpressive when watched on a TV or computer screen.

Edited by Gubaba

EDIT: One thing that I am worried about, however, is that this is very much a "big screen" movie. I'm worried that it'll seem unimpressive when watched on a TV or computer screen.

Heh heh heh - that's why I'm waiting for it on BD so I can see it on my big screen TV.

Before anyone says, "hey cuz, youze in Japan. Why not like go see it in the theatre like yesterday 'cuz it's like dope and stuff and playing like now." I work nights and have 3 kids - one of which is 2 months old. Even if I could get away to the theatre, I'd probably end up falling asleep halfway through. These days, more than 5 hours of sleep in a row is a godsend!

Edited by sketchley

Well I'm finally home - I havent been home since I left to see the movie on Saturday. Have seen it just over 2 times now (snuck into the final 20 mins of a 3rd session for reasons I'll detail in a post later) and been to a bunch of events. I have a tonne of photos that I hope to put up tomorrow.

As for all the speculation going around, I really dont want to comment - I'm not one to give out spoilers and ruin the movie for others. However, I am currently toying with the idea of doing a podcast with other MW members who have seen the movie to discuss what we thought of it. Its still a couple of weeks away but I'll post here once its done.

I'm looking at some of the so-called spoilers being posted and...ugh. People, please dont post machine translations of Japanese. Often the meaning ends up literally backwards. Not to mention that the English is virtually indescipherable. I've even seen posts where people are claiming they know the ending - and its obviously they are just making things up based on the last trailer, sigh.

For what its worth, I really enjoyed the movie. It does a LOT right. Tightens up the plot, and explains a lot of things that needed explaining (as Gubaba noted, the existence of the YF-29 was explained effectively and simply in a few lines). The films biggest weakness are those things that are left unresolved (which I wont note here). The love triangle isnt one of these things. Its resolved in a way that made me feel satisfied. I'd put it up there as second only to the original Macross tv series in terms of being a good resolution (albeit one that keeps the possibility for future continuation or spinoffs-not that I think either will happen).

The animation is GORGEOUS. Definitely a step up from the first movie. Action scenes are FAST - I cant wait for the bluray so I can slow the damn things down a bit. Speaking of the bluray, while it has yet to be announced, at a talkshow today Tenjin said he would be surprised if there wasnt some 'touch ups' done on the bluray version, much like the last movie. Nothing official as of yet but certainly something to look forward to. This is definitely the type of movie that benefits from being seen on a big screen. When it eventually hits DVD/blu I urge everyone to watch it on the biggest screen available to them.

Kanno knocks the music out of the park with this one. The soundtrack is seriously good and the wait for the albums release on March 9 is already killing me. the titular song in particular worked way better than expected.

Theres also a few tunes that are VERY Stand Alone Complex-ish. The movie has more than one concert scene this time.

Oh, Captain Wilder gets a bit more screentime as well - a good thing imo since he was pretty much a blank slate in the tv series.

Also, a bridge bunny gets balls in her face... while in a very skimpy outfit...... I'll leave THAT scene up to you imaginations ;-)

Afaik:

Voice only, and Isamu is flying his old YF-19

So it could be someone else then :p. But he's using his valk...which brings another question why he's using a (very old) prototype instead of newer machine or at least production version of that.

Also, a bridge bunny gets balls in her face... while in a very skimpy outfit...... I'll leave THAT scene up to you imaginations ;-)

Balls and skimpy outfit. Must be beach volleyball; am I guessing it right? :D

It kicked major ass. And for all that everyone was complaining that test planes were rolling out too fast (VF-25, VF-27, and YF-29 all coming out in less than a year of each other), I thought they made the YF-29 make sense.

According the magazine (newtype or HJ, I forget), VF-29 is based off YF-24 and developed in parallel with 25 and 27. That's why all three planes all came off the production line within a short timespan.

In fact, 25 and 29 shared common components (aka toy-dies :lol:) according to the magazine.

Although some feedback fast pack from the 25 tornado mode was added (or integrated) to the finishing touch of 29 or something.

post-9743-129884372022_thumb.jpg

Edited by nanoplasm

According the magazine (newtype or HJ, I forget), VF-29 is based off YF-24 and developed in parallel with 25 and 27. That's why all three planes all came off the production line within a short timespan.

In fact, 25 and 29 shared common components (aka toy-dies :lol:) according to the magazine.

Although some feedback fast pack from the 25 tornado mode was added (or integrated) to the finishing touch of 29 or something.

post-9743-129884372022_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...that isn't how they explained it in the movie...

Basically, it was thrown together quickly specifically as an anti-Vajra VF.

Arghh! Some quick questions for you lucky fellows who have seen the movie:

Any old Valkyries making an appearance? pre MF era, so VF1, VF19 etc?)

Any old Macross characters cameos from previous series (please, don't mention WHO they are, just if there is any of them)

Are there some cool VF171 Battroid scenes?

Thanks

Arghh! Some quick questions for you lucky fellows who have seen the movie:

Any old Valkyries making an appearance? pre MF era, so VF1, VF19 etc?)

Any old Macross characters cameos from previous series (please, don't mention WHO they are, just if there is any of them)

Are there some cool VF171 Battroid scenes?

Thanks

I have not watch the movie yet but based on the spoilers ....

yup apparently the YF-19 appeared with the UN Spacy Reinforcement Fleet to assist the Frontier fleet and yes an old friend made a cameo but voice only. Not sure whether there is any VF-171 battroid scene though

Edited by vanpang

Last movie took 10 1/2 months to make it to bluray. Hopefully this will not take so long.

How much of that was waiting for the game development to be finished?

I'd suggest, a LOT!

Then there is the desire to finish its box office run as well...

Here, if a movie bombs its on the DVD shelves within a month of release, if it does well (depending on the studio) we'll see it within 3 months. Not to mention our distribution channels are much simpler than the Japanese...

================================================================================

As for me, I'll read the spoilers, I don't care.

Just like BSG, I could know the story beginning to end , it still won't stop me from buying the BD when it comes out and enjoying the eye candy when I can see it...

Knowing a story and experiencing a story are two different animals...B))

I have not watch the movie yet but based on the spoilers ....

yup apparently the YF-19 appeared with the UN Spacy Reinforcement Fleet to assist the Frontier fleet and yes an old friend made a cameo but voice only. Not sure whether there is any VF-171 battroid scene though

I realize it's a fan service item, but that strikes me a rather lame to have Dyson STILL flying the YF-19...

Edited by Zinjo

How much of that was waiting for the game development to be finished?

I'd suggest, a LOT!

Then there is the desire to finish its box office run as well...

Here, if a movie bombs its on the DVD shelves within a month of release, if it does well (depending on the studio) we'll see it within 3 months. Not to mention our distribution channels are much simpler than the Japanese...

================================================================================

As for me, I'll read the spoilers, I don't care.

Just like BSG, I could know the story beginning to end , it still won't stop me from buying the BD when it comes out and enjoying the eye candy when I can see it...

Knowing a story and experiencing a story are two different animals...B))

I realize it's a fan service item, but that strikes me a rather lame to have Dyson STILL flying the YF-19...

I'd assume that at the very least, it's been fully upgraded to be on par with the latest models of the VF-19, otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Edited by Kyp Durron

Yes thanks to everyone for posting the spoilers in spoilers tag. I only just finished watching the first movie the other day and for sure the long wait for a subbed version of the second movie will take forever but good to know the info first. when i do get to watch the second movie, i would have probably already forgotten all the spoilers here.

I'd assume that at the very least, it's been fully upgraded to be on par with the latest models of the VF-19, otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Exactly! He's a test pilot, he'd be flying a VF-24 at LEAST! Pilots are like dogs, they'll chase the new shiny object everytime. No matter how attached to the old one they are. They simply can't help themselves...;)

Edited by Zinjo

Exactly! He's a test pilot, he'd be flying a VF-24 at LEAST! Pilots are like dogs, they'll chase the new shiny object everytime. No matter how attached to the old one they are. They simply can't help themselves...;)

He does fly the YF-24 as a test pilot. It's referenced in the Compendium here. http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-24_Evolution I believe it is from Technology Sheet 1P in Macross Chronicle.

Edited by Talos

MF Movie 2, first week NO.4

全国38スクリーンと公開規模は小さいものの、初日2日間で動員8万1772人、興収1億1780万3100円をあげ、

スクリーンアベレージでは310万0082円とトップ

http://movie.walkerplus.com/ranking/japan/

14 劇場版マクロスF 虚空歌姫~イツワリノウタヒメ~ 8700万円 (30scr 290/scr

Does anyone know if they toned down the fan service from the last movie in the second one? I thought they had too much in the movie and it was not as bad in the series. I also did not like the shyrel vampire scene from the first movie. Did that happen again?

Does anyone know if they toned down the fan service from the last movie in the second one? I thought they had too much in the movie and it was not as bad in the series. I also did not like the shyrel vampire scene from the first movie. Did that happen again?

It doesn't happen again, but they come up with some even WEIRDER stuff for Sheryl's live scene at the beginning...

MF Movie 2, first week NO.4

全国38スクリーンと公開規模は小さいものの、初日2日間で動員8万1772人、興収1億1780万3100円をあげ、

スクリーンアベレージでは310万0082円とトップ

http://movie.walkerplus.com/ranking/japan/

14 劇場版マクロスF 虚空歌姫~イツワリノウタヒメ~ 8700万円 (30scr 290/scr

81,772 viewers in 2 days! Including those who went to see it more than one.

Read spoilers? Don't read spoilers? Wait a year? Bluuuurrg! Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out???!!!

I'm in the same boat as you...This year is just gonna be endless!! But i just don't want to ruin that first time watching without having a clue sensation.