Macross Frontier Movie 2 thread - Now available on Blu-ray/DVD

Tochiro

Hmm would the movie still be cinemas last week of March? (Mar28-Apr2)?

Then again, i was thinking whether it would be worth it to go since i barely understand Japanese at all and i'm assuming they don't have subtitles fo any kind of course.

I imagine so. If the first movie is any indication, they started off the release in large urban areas then proliferated out into other smaller towns across the country, and this pattern continued until around May last year, which is when areas of Hokkaido and Okinawa got it, IIRC. So that's a full seven months on release, but of course, it all depends where you are in Japan. Perhaps due to the limited number of prints, the first movie was not a huge "at theaters everywhere now!" kind of release, it was more like a tour. The sequel may have a wider release from the get-go, who knows. But if it does, technically the period of release will likely turn out to be shorter.

My favorite Mecha podcast just released an episode with a review of the first Maccross Frontier Movie. You can download it free here.

http://gundamnmahq.blogspot.com/2011/02/gundamn-mahq-ep-071-false-and-forgotten.html

FYI they also have reviews of every episode of Macross Frontier as they where airing, which you can search for in their homepage. They also review all the other series too. They do the other series as a whole in what they call Macross roundup. Check it out it is a great listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTRdDaZzYA

Doesn't show anything new.

It does show both Ranka and Sheryl in a wedding dress singing a duet and I don't remember seeing that one before. I puts a connection with the poster of alto holding an unidentified women in his arms.

I imagine so. If the first movie is any indication, they started off the release in large urban areas then proliferated out into other smaller towns across the country, and this pattern continued until around May last year, which is when areas of Hokkaido and Okinawa got it, IIRC. So that's a full seven months on release, but of course, it all depends where you are in Japan. Perhaps due to the limited number of prints, the first movie was not a huge "at theaters everywhere now!" kind of release, it was more like a tour. The sequel may have a wider release from the get-go, who knows. But if it does, technically the period of release will likely turn out to be shorter.

according to the commercials, it will, just be like the first movie going around japan.

according to the commercials, it will, just be like the first movie going around japan.

Why do you say that?

Goddamn, that's a gorgeous background of a nebula. I think that would make an excellent desktop wallpaper!

Yeah, I agree. I wonder if they didn't take it from some Hubble image or something, though... :unsure:

I have the day off and Josue and I will be meeting in Ikebukuro...still not sure what time, though. Personally, I'd like to get there early and go to the first show I can. But if the 26th is as cold as this last weekend has been, I might try for a bit later.

I have the day off till 8 PM. Damn building power maintenance. Have to go and power down all the office gear. :angry:

Ikebukuro will be packed tight I think. I guess if we don't get tickets there we still have some other alternative venues.

Josue

Why do you say that?

Yeah, I agree. I wonder if they didn't take it from some Hubble image or something, though... :unsure:

it says "febuary *fill in release date please* roadshow" on the commercial...im guessing that means it goes around japan???(dont even know if roadshow is a word...bad english XD

it says "febuary *fill in release date please* roadshow" on the commercial...im guessing that means it goes around japan???(dont even know if roadshow is a word...bad english XD

"Roadshow" is the word they use in Japan when a film is out on general release.

I guess if we don't get tickets there we still have some other alternative venues.

I thought you guys already had tickets? And if I know Gubaba, it's Ikebukuro or nuffin', right? :D

I thought you guys already had tickets? And if I know Gubaba, it's Ikebukuro or nuffin', right? :D

I think everybody has an advance ticket (except me). Actually getting to the theater might be a little tricky. Well Ikebukuro has Nanja Town with it's Macross themed attractions... :p

Ok guys, time to start getting pumped! Less than a week to go before the movie comes out so I'm throwing a challenge out there to all MW regulars in Japan, Tokyo or elsewhere - since advertising is starting to ramp up, if you see anything Macross related please take pics and post them here! I want to create a sense of currentness for those on the boards who aren't in Japan. This isnt some strange foreign movie that is thousands of miles away, this is MACROSS, this is BIG and this is happening NOW!

I'll start off with some randomness from the last week:

This is the most recent pic - snapped in Akiba - the trailer was playing on the HUGE tv at the AX building as I was on my way to meet Save for a few brews.

post-9325-129829073305_thumb.jpg

The 3rd movie poster snapped at the AoU (Arcade) show last Friday:

post-9325-129829075973_thumb.jpg

They also had posters and samples of the new SQ figures from Banpresto:

post-9325-129829073686_thumb.jpg

post-9325-129829073916_thumb.jpg

post-9325-12982907419_thumb.jpg

Of course, the local game shop has been using the recently released PSP game as a tie-in to keep the Macross hype train steaming full speed ahead:

post-9325-129829074513_thumb.jpg

I give my official stamp of approval to this window display!

post-9325-129829074846_thumb.jpg

Demo Kiosk at Akiba:

post-9325-129829075554_thumb.jpg

Picked up an old issue of Newtype for 100yen at Bookoff - and stumbled across THIS. Talk about a badly controlled blast from the past, lol:

post-9325-129829076216_thumb.jpg

Well, lets get this ball rollin'! Japan MW readers, get snapping!

Edited by Tochiro

Of course, the local game shop has been using the recently released PSP game as a tie-in to keep the Macross hype train steaming full speed ahead:

Sorry, no picts at the mo', and going by memory:

- the bookstore closest to my workplace had the recently released PSP game on full display a couple of weeks ago.

- last weekend in the nearest Yamada Denki I found a sizable number of Bandai VF-25/27 kits (Super Packs, Tornado Packs, just packs) and hi-metal toys, along with the majority of MF TV series DVDs.

There were probably a bunch of other "hey, there's Sheryl/Ranka/a VF-25) moments, too, but I think I've kinda grown numb to seeing them as I've seen so much of them. [Hmmm... me thinks that sentence says a lot about the visible presence of Macross.]

Sorry, no picts at the mo', and going by memory:

- the bookstore closest to my workplace had the recently released PSP game on full display a couple of weeks ago.

- last weekend in the nearest Yamada Denki I found a sizable number of Bandai VF-25/27 kits (Super Packs, Tornado Packs, just packs) and hi-metal toys, along with the majority of MF TV series DVDs.

There were probably a bunch of other "hey, there's Sheryl/Ranka/a VF-25) moments, too, but I think I've kinda grown numb to seeing them as I've seen so much of them. [Hmmm... me thinks that sentence says a lot about the visible presence of Macross.]

Mobile phone camera is your friend ;-) And what is common place to us is probably less so to a lot of other Macross fans.

I think everybody has an advance ticket (except me). Actually getting to the theater might be a little tricky. Well Ikebukuro has Nanja Town with it's Macross themed attractions... :p

What's this Nanja town with Macross themed attractions? I'm heading to Tokyo last week of March. Would this be worth going to?

Thanks

Nice pictures for Macross so far. Everytime i see the local pictures you guys take i wish i was there in Tokyo permanently.

Edited by biggooftoybox

Picked up an old issue of Newtype for 100yen at Bookoff - and stumbled across THIS. Talk about a badly controlled blast from the past, lol:

post-9325-129829076216_thumb.jpg

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that pic before. Which old issue of New Type is it from. I may have to try to track it down.

Graham

What's this Nanja town with Macross themed attractions? I'm heading to Tokyo last week of March. Would this be worth going to?

Thanks

Nice pictures for Macross so far. Everytime i see the local pictures you guys take i wish i was there in Tokyo permanently.

Namco Namja Town is this attraction inside the Ikebukuro Sunshine City. Namja Town

There will be some Macross Themed food and some events with goods sells.

Here is the scene over at Ikebukuro.

Aside from the Namco thing, they apparently also have a big event space thing going on at the observatory in the Sunshine City building.

I must say, I hadn't seen a single poster or any sort of promotion at all until today. Sorry to sound like the naysayer, but as much as I would like to say that Macross is big right now, I don't want to give people the wrong impression. This isn't some Ghibli movie bombarding the airwaves with TV spots every five minutes.

It's big in Ikebukuro where the streets are lined with banners, then maybe you'll see a poster or two in Akihabara, but I haven't seen anything anywhere else...

post-1318-129837725536_thumb.jpg

post-1318-129837725658_thumb.jpg

I just got back from Tokyo, too bad I can't stay longer for the premiere. I would have stay longer if not for my trip to Australia. Here are some pictures I took from Ikkekuburo

1) Posters outside Animate

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0156.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0157.jpg

2) Banners outside Sunshine Theatre Ikkebukuro

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0080.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0079.jpg

3) May'n new 3D movie poster. Gantz - live action movie is currently showing in Tokyo as well

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0075.jpg

4) Sheryl and Ranka chocs at 7-11 outlets

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0078.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/funcrayon/RIMG0077.jpg

Hi all,

I got 2 friends visiting Tokyo from 22 Feb to 27 Feb 2011, they would like to catch the 2nd movie if possible before flying back. As they can not speak Japanese, they would have difficulty securing the tickets. Could anyone help? Would pass you their contact details if you are able. Thanks

Dont have the issue on me right now. It was from 1999-2000 and had a Cowboy Bebop cover. Hope this helps.

Sounds about right for an article featuring VF-X2.

As the game was released 1999.09.02, the magazine's the picture's from probably is the August issue.

I just got back from Tokyo, too bad I can't stay longer for the premiere. I would have stay longer if not for my trip to Australia. Here are some pictures I took from Ikkekuburo...

Great stuff! Thats just the kind of pics I want to keep posting. It's not that Macross is as big as a Ghibli movie (nor would I want it to be), its that the franchise is nowhere near as niche as it used to be and there is stuff out there, period! And last movie we even had decals on the trains on the Yamanote line - THATS pretty huge man.

Anyways, as the weekend approaches (heck, even after the premiere on the weekend) Ill keep posting picks of anything I come across too :-)

... in order to reach the broadest market demographic, a bunch of the elements that we love about Macross will be dumped or dumbed-down in the process?

OK. Now you see my predicament? How can I respond with a "that ship has sailed" comment and not sound like a negative wise-ass again? Darn the injustice. :p

Why don't you want it to be, just out of curiosity? :unsure:

Sketchley pretty much summed it up for me in a nutshell. Certainly, to oldskool fans like ourselves Mac F seems dumbed down somewhat. But I prefer to think that the mix of the ever present 3 key Macross elements was just balanced differently - in a way that would attract todays newer anime fans. And it worked.

Now if Macross were to be made for the mainstream Japanese viewing public, 90% of it would be a school drama, no one would ever die, and there would be 2-3 episodes of freaking out before every minor dogfight.

Do not want, sorry.

Personally, my comment also stems from the fact that I've always thought that Ghibli is overrated. Artistically gorgeous movies that often say nothing. Creatively I think Miyazaki peaked with Nausica. I can rewatch it as well as Mononoke and Porco Rosso. His other works I find to be overhyped. But thats just me.

Ah, but that assumes that the general Japanese viewing public's tendencies cannot change/be changed. I'm not so sure about that. I hear generally good things about the live-action Yamato movie from both old-school fans and general movie-goers, foreign and Japanese.

Anyway, for starters, if Macross was remade for a general audience today the first thing that would go would not be the dogfights and spaceships, but rather the squeaky little girls and boob jokes, so I'm all for it. B))

Personally, my comment also stems from the fact that I've always thought that Ghibli is overrated. Artistically gorgeous movies that often say nothing. Creatively I think Miyazaki peaked with Nausica. I can rewatch it as well as Mononoke and Porco Rosso. His other works I find to be overhyped. But thats just me.

Overall I agree. Overhyped is the right word. B)) But it would be cool if everyone, young or old, was talking about Macross. My grandmother loves DYRL, for example.:p I really don't think she will have much to enjoy in Frontier, though.

I showed my Zero to my mother a few months ago and she really liked it alot! However, I tried to get her to watch DYRL several weeks later, and she couldn't stay awake <_<

It seems that each show has elements that appeal to slightly different crowds. Doing that while maintaining the same game-winning formula of Macross has got to account for something!

Apparently there's also a Ranka Lee Visual Collection that was just released. This is news to me as AmiAmi just posted a link for it today. :wacko:

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english&vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=BOK-3594&template=default/product/e_display.html

http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=1005731045