Star Wars on Blu-ray in 2011

Guest sh002

Exactly. Judge me by my size, do you? If force strength was based on body size or amount of limbs available then that would imply that Yoda wasn't as powerful as he seemed to be...

Grain of salt, not canon, whine/moan/groan but...

...in the book Dark Lord: The Ride of Darth Vader it talks about how Palpatine treated him like trash because of how he screwed up and lost so much of his real body and so much of his power. There's a bunch of other stuff in there that paints a pretty good picture about how Vader possibly didn't use skill, power and prowess to defeat the Jedi he hunted but just overwhelmed them with Imperial forces until he could walk in and mop up.

It's a short book, but not a bad read.

Woah, I didn't know Palpatine treated vader like trash except in Robot Chicken, haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZ0VmB567w

Exactly. Judge me by my size, do you? If force strength was based on body size or amount of limbs available then that would imply that Yoda wasn't as powerful as he seemed to be...

Yes, but it was explicitly stated Yoda had "more midichlorians per cell" or whatever than most anyone else. And if Anakin's was higher than Yoda's, then combined with size---he should have been able to well surpass him, when fully trained/experienced. (of course, Anakin wouldn't have ever been able to get 800 years of experience like Yoda)

Thus---perhaps Yoda's power is just as much training, as raw genetics/force affinity?

"He is in my behind," LOLz, complete with a clone trooper looking behind him in fear.

Just read about another change for the Blu-Ray versions:

Alderaan shoots first.

Ha ha ha!

Edited by myk

Not to go OT too much but it looks like that even if Lucas doesn't get it, his good buddy Spielberg does.

"For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [i might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. [...] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells "NO!" in unison.] OK, so be it."

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Yes, but it was explicitly stated Yoda had "more midichlorians per cell" or whatever than most anyone else. And if Anakin's was higher than Yoda's, then combined with size---he should have been able to well surpass him, when fully trained/experienced. (of course, Anakin wouldn't have ever been able to get 800 years of experience like Yoda)

Thus---perhaps Yoda's power is just as much training, as raw genetics/force affinity?

It all depends on which is cause and which is effect. They tend to go together but in kid Anakin's case, neither make sense since the kid wasn't a match for Obi-wan, much less Qui-gon or Yoda. Obi-wan openly questioned what it meant and Qui-gon admitted he didn't know. Only later did he conjecture that it meant that Anakin was the chosen one, though Yoda never bought it and at least a majority of the Council didn't until after the battle.

Y'all are wrong. THIS is the true end of ROTJ dialog.

Rofl! Thank you so much for sharing that! I'd be first in line to buy that. That's just awesome...pure win there.

Edited by Oihan

I swear, if Lucas hadn't of farked around with the Vader stuff in ROTJ, I probably would be getting this.

Seriously-that alone is reason enough to turn me off to the whole thing. I mean....WHY? I'm waiting for Keith to give us the low-down on this before I drop the $80. I need to buy a cycling helmet anyway...

Seriously-that alone is reason enough to turn me off to the whole thing. I mean....WHY? I'm waiting for Keith to give us the low-down on this before I drop the $80. I need to buy a cycling helmet anyway...

It is still possible for the whole "Nooooooo" thing to be a hoax to drum up publicity?

You know I seriously hope it is. I've been wanting a comprehensive SW collection for a while now but I don't think this is it. I could actually forgive that, but the "NO" thing and the "Ewok" thing really bugs me.

Your avatar reminds me-I need to go and watch some Inception, an indisputably good film ...

Your avatar reminds me-I need to go and watch some Inception, an indisputably good film ...

Yeah, a good film that I don't think the director is going to be screwing around with in 30 years time.......

Yeah, ya know, I look at it like this: these aren't the movies I knew for the first 20 years of my life. Lucas' alterations severely impact my enjoyment of the films. On top of that, I have Harmy's "de-specialized" editions of the OT in 720P.

As far as the prequels go, I'll only watch the Phantom Editor's cuts of Episodes I and II (and then only rarely), and I haven't found a cut of III I'm entirely happy with yet. Generally, I don't pay much attention to the prequels.

If you're buying them just for the supplements, there will be far easier ways to watch the handful of cut scenes from the OT without buying the set, and you really only need to see them once.

From my point of view, I don't understand why people are buying them.

Edited by Duke Togo

Just the hype working its usual magic on the hungry masses. I mean, it's TEH blu-ray so it's a MUST-HAVE. I'm waiting for critical people that have the set in hand and have experienced it so that I can pass judgement myself. It'd make my day if Keith, Dave H. or A7 could lay it out for the few of us that are still marginally curious, possibly putting an end to rumors that the picture quality isn't any better than the DVD releases from a few years ago; that would be yet another deal breaker!

From my point of view, I don't understand why people are buying them.

Because the changes are trivial and I want it in the best quality for my 60" HDTV and 7.1 lossless surround, duh.

Vader's "moment of truth" decision to save his son is my single most favorite scene from the entire 6 movie series and I don't like the "nooo" any more than Greedo shooting at all but neither bothers me enough to not buy the set and I do like or am indifferent to most of the other changes.

A mountain being made out of a mole-hill and the films have never looked or sounded better. I don't have much use for most special features since I will only watch them once or twice but the movies themselves will see dozens of playbacks on my home theater.

My amazon order is "out for delivery." I won't be able to start watching until I get home from work anyway, though.

Edited by Uxi

Because the changes are trivial and I want it in the best quality for my 60" HDTV and 7.1 lossless surround, duh.

Trivial? Please don't tell me you're one of those who grew up only really knowing the Special Editions? Besides, your 1k resolution scan of Star Wars isn't significantly better than my 720p copies, and I get to watch the films as they were originally intended to be seen. Not to mention those tacked on CGI effects in the OT stick out like a sore thumb in 1080p.

Edited by Duke Togo

Trivial? Please don't tell me you're one of those who grew up only really knowing the Special Editions? Besides, your 1k resolution scan of Star Wars isn't significantly better than my 720p copies, and I get to watch the films as they were originally intended to be seen. Not to mention those tacked on CGI effects in the OT stick out like a sore thumb in 1080p.

+1 :D

Haha, nevermind 1080p, those cgi effects stick out on my DVD releases, nevermind hd.

Edited by peter

Trivial? Please don't tell me you're one of those who grew up only really knowing the Special Editions? Besides, your 1k resolution scan of Star Wars isn't significantly better than my 720p copies, and I get to watch the films as they were originally intended to be seen.

Yes trivial. I went to ANH and TESB in drive-in's with my parents on the original releases (though too young to really remember ANH) and remember standing in a long line that wrapped around the theater twice with my dad for ROTJ.

The visual difference may not be as big, though I think you're understating the difference (PQ ratings are pretty good from most of the pros out there, though TPM apparently looks the worst for various reasons). At 60" screen from 9 feet away, the differences DO become quantifiable, though. ;)

The big difference will be on lossless audio where my Denon and Polk RTI's earn their cheddar. Just about every review universally praises the audio. My neighbors are going to hear the thunder all weekend, though, as I watch them in order I-VI. :D

couple good reviews:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Star-Wars-Blu-ray/14903/#Review

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews091611.html

Edited by Uxi

I went to ANH and TESB in drive-in's with my parents on the original releases (though too young to really remember ANH) and remember standing in a long line that wrapped around the theater twice with my dad for ROTJ.

We're in the same boat (well, it wasn't a drive in for me), but I can't get over all the needless and useless CGI additions to Star Wars (including the horrid Han stepping on Jabba's tail), the laughable Wampa addition to Empire, or the "Jedi Rock" bullshit Lucas added at the beginning of Jedi, which pretty much makes the movie unshowable to anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Edited by Duke Togo

We're in the same boat (well, it wasn't a drive in for me), but I can't get over all the needless and useless CGI additions to Star Wars (including the horrid Han stepping on Jabba's tail), the laughable Wampa addition to Empire, or the "Jedi Rock" bullshit Lucas added at the beginning of Jedi, which pretty much makes the movie unshowable to anyone who hasn't seen it before.

Certain technical issues are undoubtedly long in the tooth and need replacement/enhancement bad. Strings on TIE fighters are un-sat.

I'm indifferent on Lepti Nek vs Jedi Rocks. I usually skip past both. The Sy Snoodles muppet is a horrid failure, though and needed to be replaced with CGI. Her and the creature showing us the tonsils need another pass or two like Jabba in ANH got with the DVD release, though. No beef at all with Lucas going back and fixing up things like that. When he gets into the editing, I just don't care either way.

Taking out the wolfman in the cantina and putting in the hippie lizard, I'm ambivalent on. Both look absurd. :D

I kind of like Jabba in ANH. Yeah it's redundant but I just don't have a problem with it. The 2004 release looks waaaay better than the 1997 release, CGI wise.

Only way I think Greedo should shoot at all is like Johnny Ringo in Tombstone as some involuntary brain damage induced mechanism.

I think it's important to remember that Lucas was always trying to emulate the Flash Gordan serials he loved as a kid. Have you ever tried to watch some of those? Those are really REALLY bad. They make Jedi Rocks look like Gershwin. :D

I think it's important to remember that Lucas was always trying to emulate the Flash Gordan serials he loved as a kid. Have you ever tried to watch some of those? Those are really REALLY bad. They make Jedi Rocks look like Gershwin. :D

I don't find that to be a compelling reason for him to go back and make an embarrassment out of these films.

I don't find that to be a compelling reason for him to go back and make an embarrassment out of these films.

Well I guess from my pov they've always been kind of embarrassing... or more accurately nothing to take too seriously.