Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon

PS3 owners, of which there are a good number on these boards, will be happy to note that they're included this time. Although the game looks a bit different. Some odd camera angles, helicopters, and a triangle button prompt are all shown in the trailer, plus it looks like they're setting it in the real world this time. Music in the trailer is definitely Ace Combat, though.

The visuals look nice... but trying too hard to be Modern Warfare / CoD imo. And it sucks that it takes place on real Earth, as opposed to the AC Universe (you know... Osea, Yuktobania, Belka, etc)

Shoulda remade Ace Combat 3 in my opinion. It makes sense chronologically as Ace Combat X represents a transitional timeframe between Fires of Liberation and AC3.

They can really take the pseudo-flight sim ball and run it in any creative direction, yet they have chosen time and time again to go with the same trite country A invades country B generic story... which is why AC3 and AC5 stand out so much.

I'm so drunk, can't put a coherent thought together lolz...

Repost:

I like the idea of interactive exploding scenery, but if that's indeed burnout style slow-mo enemy explosions, then I hope you can turn that sh!t off. I don't want to wait for sh!t to explode and slow down my action damnit!! Also, hopefully those tailgunning sections will be minimal, or some kind of multiplayer only option.

??? Many F-4/5/14/16/18 have been shot down in Ace Combat as enemies...

That's fine provided they don't represent the USA. By placing the new Ace Combat series in the "real world" who's the good guys and who are the bad guys? Will the player represent the USA,Soviet Union,Israel, Who? Will the player be forced to choose between his/her nation and "peace" (man I loved that in AC5 when in the intrests of peace I had to fire on ships from my own country to ensure peace. <_<) I got a feeling Namco is really going to do some heavy duty preaching in this game.

I can already see it... hold down R1 + L1 button to automatically pop behind your target's tail.

Not before charging an "action" bar that charges whenever you strike a hit which will be used for everything from destroying environments (Split Second), bullet missile time and special kill maneuvers. :rolleyes:

I've read a lot of comments about this game from places like kotaku and acecombatskies.com, and I got to say its a real bitch-fest. Like a rational few, I will wait to pass judgment once I actually play the game. Plus Project Aces is still making these games and I have yet to feel disappointment from anything they offered so far.

Before anyone here starts going apesh-t consider this. They may be exploring these new gameplay ideas to see what might or might not work for AC7, should Project Aces choose to go forward into making it. Just my $0.02.

I don't think anyone here isn't saying we won't give the game a fair chance, we're just saying that we're ready to call it (Ace) Combat of Duty.

I know that's right! Shoot as long as we PS3 owners have had to wait for Ace Combat to make it to Playstation 3 and the humiliation suffered by having AC6 go only to the XBOX 360, this game could by pure junk and we'd buy it. We'll gripe and moan about it while were playing but WE'LL PLAY IT!!!!! :)

RAMIREZ! Carry 100+ missiles!

RAMIREZ! Don't Black Out!

RAMIREZ! Order your wingman to take out that target and go for a 30 min coffee break!

RAMIREZ! ... didn't we play this same game 2 years ago?

RAMIREZ! Fly under/over 10,000 ft or u gunna be hit by the exploding white blob!

RAMIREZ! Take out teh enemy SU-37 ace with your tactical knife!

RAMIREZ! Line up the rectangle on your HUD Fo' aerial refuelin!!

RAMIREZ! FLy into teh tunnel and take out the Belkan superweapon (again)

RAMIREZ! Carry 100+ missiles!

RAMIREZ! Don't Black Out!

RAMIREZ! Order your wingman to take out that target and go for a 30 min coffee break!

RAMIREZ! ... didn't we play this same game 2 years ago?

RAMIREZ! Fly under/over 10,000 ft or u gunna be hit by the exploding white blob!

RAMIREZ! Take out teh enemy SU-37 ace with your tactical knife!

RAMIREZ! Line up the rectangle on your HUD Fo' aerial refuelin!!

RAMIREZ! FLy into teh tunnel and take out the Belkan superweapon (again)

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1921793

Edited by Keith

Yes, i do know it is a new direction that Bandai-Namco are doing Ace Combat and all..

but, my current feeling is, if the trailer is any indication of what the actual style of game-play is...

Although i will still get Ace Combat, it looks like, that i am going to prefer HAWX 2 more. :(

As, the "Gameplay Controls" in the trailer, makes it look like it is some sort of Afterburner game.:o

So i am really hoping, it will still use the same controls, which previous Ace Combats (4,5, 0 and 6 at least) had "with" a in Cockpit View. :(

Are those quick time events? How does that work in a flight sim?

I think there was another game called Heatseeker on PS2 (link) that used QTE , can't remember... :unsure:

plus, i thought it would be classed as, more of a Arcade Flight Sim , than a Flight Sim.

Arcade = "IMO like Afterburner"

Arcade Flight Sim = a mix of "Non- Realistic" and "Realistic" , with IMO realistic being mostly in regards to Aircraft Controls ( in Cockpit views with "Pitch", "Roll" and "Yaw" like for example: AC4, AC5, AC0, AC6 and HAWX").

Flight Sim = Realistically simulated

But, i don't know where "Ace Combat:Assault Horizon" would fit in... Probably somewhere in between the "Arcade" and "Arcade Flight Sim" category. :unsure:

Edited by altermodes

Screw HAWX, I played the first one for a while, was absolutely disgusted, and then got Afterburner for the 360.

Afterburner has more realistic physics. I'm not joking. :ph34r: (Well, ok.. maybe partially joking, but at least in AB you can turn while banking.)

I am a little worried that if they try to add gunner levels and choppers it'll dilute the focus they usually have, but they could be a fun diversion for a couple levels. Although.. if the option to have multiple players in the same aircraft as pilot/gunner appears, I will throw an absolute hissy fit if they don't allow console based multiplayer. Pissed me off to no end that AC6 ditched any local multiplayer for their stupid online service. I had to dig out my ps2 again to have any decent dogfights with my brother.

Btw, I'm pretty sure I've seen choppers perform rolls before, it just doesn't happen very often since they tend to stick closer to the ground. They lose so much altitude, it's just not practical.

I am a little worried that if they try to add gunner levels and choppers it'll dilute the focus they usually have, but they could be a fun diversion for a couple levels.

That is my concern as well, I hope they don't shift the focus to flying helicopters instead of fighters. Like you said, a couple of missions could be fun and I can see how helicopters would work better in certain missions than fighters. Like mission 15 "White Noise" in AC5. Looking for Nagase in an F-15 was a pain in the afterburner, a helicopter would have worked better! :D

Screw HAWX, I played the first one for a while, was absolutely disgusted, and then got Afterburner for the 360.

Afterburner has more realistic physics. I'm not joking. :ph34r: (Well, ok.. maybe partially joking, but at least in AB you can turn while banking.)

unsure if you are replying to my Post or anything , but I don't really like the Afterburner way "or style" ...

I haven't got the new Afterburner (seen the demo) , the only one i played was the old one and IMO, i didn't like it at all. :(:angry:

note: i am having trouble trying to explain what i am wanting to say and i must apologize for that :(

so, i haven't touched the Afterburner series (or anything like it since) Because, i prefer something like this:

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 - 7 minutes of pure gameplay plus screenshots:

i think it is in German? and i am not sure, if the Carrier take off scenes is realistic or not but, i will put up with it since, it is a Arcade Flight Sim. :)

So, I still prefer the game play (again, mostly in regards to control-ability) styles of Ace Combat 4,5 and 0 and Hawx

Edited by altermodes