which looks sleeker- sv-51 or vf-27?

arrow

115 members have voted

1. 1. which do you prefer?

• SV-51
    • VF-27

sv-51 also imo has a cooler gunpod. The long one that the 27 uses wouldn't be as good for close range fighting. It's time valkyries had optional gunpods in the same way they have optional armor upgrades and boosters.

I'd like to see a Valkyrie get a side-arm. Something smaller for close range combat that they could tuck into their shield. Or into a hidden compartment in their leg, sort of like Robocop. They'd still have their larger full-auto gunpod as well, of course.

Add: The VF-17 had two gunpods, didn't it?

Edited by Vic Mancini

The VF-27 is sleeker in my opinion while the SV-51 is more aggressive looking. It just depends what you consider "sleek" for me it means minimal protrusions or superfluous appendages and as close to a bullet as possible, it basically looks "clean". Still both are pretty sweet looking fighters.

To make a point.

a point that isn't really applicable considering that real soldiers don't have machine guns, missile launchers and lasers internal to their bodies.

seriously though, there's no practical reason to have a tiny handgun stored on your robot when it has a laser built into it's head and machine guns mounted on its hip/arms.

Edited by anime52k8

So what's the practical reason for having a gunpod?

it's a cartoon and they look cool. If you want valks to have a space p90 because they look cool, no argument, if that's what you like, that's what you like.

But to say a valk needs another close in weapon when most already have laser, machine guns and the gunpod... why do they *need* another close range weapon?

But if you're going to bring up RL soldiers. Not even every RL soldier gets a sidearm. And stuff like hand guns are only really effective against soft targets. A small caliber, low velocity round usually means squat against anything with armor. So why, on a machine where weight is a premium commodity, would you load it down with a redundant weapon when that extra space and weight could be better served with more ammo or a back seat handy for smart but annoying sidekicks or your alien hybrid pop idol girlfriend?

it's a cartoon and they look cool. If you want valks to have a space p90 because they look cool, no argument, if that's what you like, that's what you like.

^

That is exactly my argument.

It's everyone else who is trying to poop on it because they can't find the practicality in it. (And some how they find the practicality in a Valk wielding a knife).

Lots of soldiers carry side-arms in addition to their rifles and knives. So saying a knife makes a side-arm redundant doesn't make sense. Hell...soldiers would probably still carry side-arms even if they did have head lasers and internal weapons bays.

Lots of soldiers carry side-arms in addition to their rifles and knives. So saying a knife makes a side-arm redundant doesn't make sense. Hell...soldiers would probably still carry side-arms even if they did have head lasers and internal weapons bays.

most infantry don't carry sidearms. pistols and such are reserved for officers, medics, engineers, etc. People who's Job prohibit or do not require a full size rifle.

I don't see a problem with it. I'd love to see vales have all sorts of alt payloads. Mac+ talked about non traditional roles for vales, I'd love to see a valk outfitted for such duty.

The problem with giving valks things like pistols and rocket launchers and all kinds of crazy hand weapons is that suddently it becomes just like gundam. The nice thing about macross is that valks AREN'T Gundams, they're jets first and robots second.

Everything a valk carries makes sense on a fighter, even the Gunpod. real jets carry Gunpods when they need additional firepower for close air support after all.

Edited by anime52k8

The problem with giving valks things like pistols and rocket launchers and all kinds of crazy hand weapons is that suddently it becomes just like gundam. The nice thing about macross is that valks AREN'T Gundams, they're jets first and robots second.

Everything a valk carries makes sense on a fighter, even the Gunpod. real jets carry Gunpods when they need additional firepower for close air support after all.

That's not what I'm saying at all but if a valk can carry a sniper gunpod, it could just as easily carry a shotgun gunpod. And even in Mac+ we see the yf-19 with that heavy weapons thingy on its arm.

I'm just saying I'd like to see valks with mission specific missiles/bombs and other specialized gunpods.

most infantry don't carry sidearms. pistols and such are reserved for officers, medics, engineers, etc. People who's Job prohibit or do not require a full size rifle.

I'm pretty sure all sorts of different countries have provided sidearms as standard issue to their infantry soldiers throughout history.

So let me get this straight.

There are practical applications for battroids using gunpods/rifles, bayonets, knives, and sniper rifles...but...not...pistols? Come on dude. Did a pistol sleep with your mom or something? :rolleyes:

Edit/Add:

We have valks with boobs that open up and have speakers inside. But you are ok with that and totally against pistols? I just can't get over this. lol.

Edited by Vic Mancini

Why would any valk carry a pistol with lower ballistic properties due to smaller barrel length when it could be packing another gunpod? What about the VF-22? Metal Siren?

I know we're talking about sci-fi here but valks in battroid mode are more like mobile tanks rather than infantry. A bayonet/knife might be prudent if you ran out of gunpod ammo but in all seriousness you might as well RTB to reload instead of drawing a pistol that has a very limited amount of ammo, fire rate(try shooting down 20 incoming missiles with a pistol) and armor penetration capabilities.

Or you can have two or more gunpods. ^_^

Sorry to digress even further from the topic.

I know we're talking about sci-fi here but valks in battroid mode are more like mobile tanks rather than infantry.

You're thinking of Destroids. Battroids are absolutely more like mobile infantry than tanks. They were designed from the start to be the direct counterpart of the Zentran mobile infantry.

@Anime52K8:

I should have thought of this sooner, but here is a fairly relevant example of a soldier carrying both a rifle and a sidearm.

frontierscreencap.jpg

I know the picture doesn't show them carrying knives also, but hopefully you won't hold that against me too much. :rolleyes:

I also thought the 27 looked odd with the, IMO, superflous wing mounted engines. Guess that's what gives it a leg up over the 25; well, that and its ridiculously huge rifle. :) Both pilots are nearly matched with metro-sexual prowess, but Brera's cyborg body and his valk's magenta paint scheme give him an edge over Alto.

Wow, I'm surprised the SV-51 took the lead here. It's not a traditionally pretty bird, and the 25/27 designs are arguably sleeker, if sleek is to be taken as "more aerodynamic". The SV-51's battroid clinches it for me, though.

Wow, I'm surprised the SV-51 took the lead here. It's not a traditionally pretty bird, and the 25/27 designs are arguably sleeker, if sleek is to be taken as "more aerodynamic". The SV-51's battroid clinches it for me, though.

You've got a good point there. But then again, to me the 27 looks like a fish(smoother surfaces, more curved and blended surfaces) but the 51 looks like a bird of prey. In fact, the 27 looks like an awesome sub. :p

Slightly OT, IMO, most of the valks lose their sleekness and realism in the lower leg/aft engine section. The YF-21 and VF-22 are about the most realistic looking valk jet modes from front to back that I can think of. The VF-11, VF-1, and VF-0 have pretty passable jet modes too. The SV-51's bell bottom legs and tri-toe augmentors, and the VF-25's anthropomorphically stylized lower legs really stand out to me as stretching believability. The VF-27, sharing traits from both SV-51 and the VF-25, along with its unusual wing mounted engines, makes it really stand out as bizarre. I never got a submarine vibe from it, though. Kawamori is pretty careful to design the forward fuselage to approximate real aircraft, but the rear section of his designs tend to stray from reality to favor the battroid. Just an observation, which in no way diminishes the unique quality of Kawamori's designs as some of the most realistic transforming mecha out there. Ultimately, they are what draw me most to Macross.

I don't get why people find the wing mounted engines strange. Personally I love mid-wing engine nacelles, it's like the fictional plane in question is channeling badass and awesome directly from an SR-71.

I don't get why people find the wing mounted engines strange. Personally I love mid-wing engine nacelles, it's like the fictional plane in question is channeling badass and awesome directly from an SR-71.

I can only speak for myself on that, but the reason it doesn't work for me is because the Black Bird is a recon plane. It's not a tool for air superiority. I like my Valks to resemble actual air superiority fighters if they are going to be dog fighting.

The SV-51 channels Flankers and Hornets, which is why I prefer it. I do think the 27 is technically more sleek though, if we are going by the definition of the word. But it doesn't look like a plausible fighter to me.

I can only speak for myself on that, but the reason it doesn't work for me is because the Black Bird is a recon plane. It's not a tool for air superiority. I like my Valks to resemble actual air superiority fighters if they are going to be dog fighting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12