Galaxy Express 999 films licensed!

Didn't see a thread about this so thought I'd start one since I'm pretty sure there are some 999 fans here. Discotek has licensed the first film and Adieu 999. They also got Project A-Ko. Excited about finally having these two films on disc. Really hoping for a blu ray release! Here's the link to the news story and Discotek's website: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-27/discotek-adds-2-galaxy-express-999-films-project-a-ko

http://discotekmedia.com/

The series is available on one of the legal streaming sites for free. I think a Harlock series is available as well (that is here in the US...)

Yeah. I've been watching the Galaxy Express 999 tv series on Crunchyroll. The internet is a magical and wonderful thing. A shame the distribution companies didn't catch on to this earlier. The industry might not have collapsed so spectacularly.

• 11 months later...

I haven't watched the movies yet, but I did check a few scenes just to peak at the video quality. One odd thing I noticed about the sub script was that they translated "crystal glass" as "lead glass" in regards to Claire. Aside from that, things look good. It's definately the newer master released in Japan, which means heavy DNR/EE, but also a lot clearer & more vibrant than the old korean release. I just wish they'd have put it out on bluray.

Thanks, Keith! So judging by that instance ("lead glass"), I suppose it is safe to say that they did not use the Viz script (though I did read that they used the Viz dubbing?). Any idea if the subtitle script comes from somewhere else or did they do a new translation? Thanks.

Thanks, Keith! So judging by that instance ("lead glass"), I suppose it is safe to say that they did not use the Viz script (though I did read that they used the Viz dubbing?). Any idea if the subtitle script comes from somewhere else or did they do a new translation? Thanks.

Likely it's their own new translation, however that particular line is insanely inaccurate, but hopefully the only instance of such an inaccuracy. As for using Viz's dub, yup, Gohan is indeed playing Tetsuro still :)

One odd thing I noticed about the sub script was that they translated "crystal glass" as "lead glass" in regards to Claire.

don't know anything about the series, but they may be technically correct. lead oxide is added to molten glass to make lead crystal or lead glass which has much more sparkle than normal glass and used for stuff like chandeliers or glass sculptures

Edited by Major Focker

don't know anything about the series, but they may be technically correct. lead oxide is added to molten glass to make lead crystal or lead glass which has much more sparkle than normal glass and used for stuff like chandeliers or glass sculptures

Regardless of real world mechanics, the character clearly says "crystal." :)

At this rate, I wish one reliable import shop would carry the Korean blurays. They're all region, and have english subtitles. But irght now the only place to get them is ebay, and I'm not willing to go there.

• 4 months later...

So I finally picked up the first of the two 999 movies, from the B&N site for $11 and change. Very satisfied!!

While the packaging itself leaves a bit to be desired (no liner notes, inserts or bonuses of any kind), for the price--and just being able to finally be able to replace my aged tape--it is well worth the buy! Outside of trailers and a few images that pass for a "gallery", there are no real extras either; but again, that is all forgiven and forgotten once you feast your eyes on the footage.

This edition is absolutely GORGEOUS! If you've only seen this on tv and/or vhs, like me, you will be blown away!

Only a few highly-forgivable quibbles (in addition to the sparse packaging): It seems to me that at times, the ambient sounds/effects and music track were dialed up a bit high (in relation to the voice track); that said, this MAY have been remedied with different setting to my sound system. Also, while the overall subtitling is just fine (though I think I prefer the VIZ script a bit better), there are several instances of some odd choices of translation/transliteration...especially odd when some of the words/phrases that are changed are already English words(!). Again, nothing that confuses or takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Did I mention that the restored footage is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS?

I am so happy to finally have this and I highly recommend!

*have not viewed the dubbed version on this disk yet, so can't speak on that.

I really want to get these films in blu ray now that I have multiple region capability (oh yeah!). Is the Korean blu ray the only one with english subs?

Yup, that's the only one with subs, and from what little I've heard, should still be the Viz script. Getting it outside of ebay on the other hand is somewhat difficult.

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen, amongst all the bad news in the anime industry this year so far (all 2 weeks of it) comes some of the greatest news ever!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-16/smore-entertainment-adds-galaxy-express-tv-anime

That's right, GE:999 TV is getting a U.S. DVD release. Now if we can just get Galaxy Railways season 2 & its OVA...

Gentlemen, amongst all the bad news in the anime industry this year so far (all 2 weeks of it) comes some of the greatest news ever!

http://www.animenews...xpress-tv-anime

That's right, GE:999 TV is getting a U.S. DVD release. Now if we can just get Galaxy Railways season 2 & its OVA...

Finally some good news on the subtitled release front! Now that's a classic worth owning. I do hope they manage to release it before the money runs out he, he...

Finally some good news on the subtitled release front! Now that's a classic worth owning. I do hope they manage to release it before the money runs out he, he...

It should be put out in 3 sets, so chances are good we'll get it all.