Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Graham,

Any chances that if sells go well, that Yamato would consider re-releasing this in:

1) a bit smaller scale, to further reduce on cost and bring it to the 150 - 200 $ point. I think a great deal of fans can afford it at that range. This is THE toy that ALL macross fans want, the one that they have been waiting for, it just needs a bit of tweeking still. If they are considering TV version, go to that scale right away, easier for pll to make that decision to have a second one if they buy the current 1/3000 scale. If this is not truly wanted, or feasable, then purhaps as anime52k8 has suggested, an unpainted / unbuilt (or just unbuilt), as the paint scheme seems laking anyways. I really feel like more detail paint (not weathered) is required on this. What exactly is stoping Yamato in going at that price range, or what can make this happen?

2) if redoing another release of this, either same or smaller case, have the arms be able to retract futher towards the legs in ship mode (i would even dare say lock onto it), making it look less like arms and more ship like. At the moment, that is the only thing that seems mechanically flawed. I know this may be original design, but why not give us the choice to retract it further if we want to anyways? However, if one is leaving this in robot mode, i guess it doesnt matter at all, cause it does look pretty awsome in that mode, so this is only a small point vrs point 1.

Edited by Arthurius

Graham,

2) if redoing another release of this, either same or smaller case, have the arms be able to retract futher towards the legs in ship mode (i would even dare say lock onto it), making it look less like arms and more ship like. At the moment, that is the only thing that seems mechanically flawed. However, if one is leaving this in robot mode, i guess it doesnt matter at all, cause it does look pretty awsome in that mode.

Just in case you missed my post immediately before yours, I'll say it again.......the way Yamato have the arms is correct to the lineart.

The ARMDs are supposed to be away from the legs. they are NOT supposed to touch the legs or lock into the legs

Graham

post-11-129354645322_thumb.jpg

Got mine today. WOW, $59 bucks for shipping!! I guess it's a big box though.

Box dimensions

Height = 490mm.

Width = 363mm.

Depth = 140mm.

Gross Weight = Around 1721g

Indeed, the GW of the toy in packaging is 3.78 pounds, almost close to 4 pounds. The box is about 1 cube too at 0.879 cube.

Graham, Yamato announces this on web oday. It looks like revision on Transformation Guide. Are these the revision to have correct sequence to attach covers?

やまとマクロスシリーズ 1/3000完全変形SDF-1マクロス

取扱説明書 記載内容について

2010年12月に発売になりました「1/3000完全変形SDF-1マクロス」に付属しております取扱説明書につきまして、訂正ならびに追記内容がございますので、お詫び申し上げますとともに、訂正させていただきます。

■取扱説明書の16ページにある「17コマ」と「18コマ」の順番が逆で記載されております。実際のパーツ取付については、下記をご参照くださいますよう御願いいたします。

①パーツ「2番」を先に取り付けてください。 ②次にパーツ「7番」と「10番」を取り付けてください。

news20101227.jpg

■付属しておりますランナーパーツで使用しないパーツ「30番、32番」が含まれておりますが、本商品への影響はございません。

Got my AmiAmi payment request! After wrestling with PayPal I was able to send my payment off. Now just need to wait!

I've been waiting for nearly 20 years for a DYRL style toy of the Macross like this. A week or two for shipping is nothing.

All I need now is for Bandai to do up the Battle Frontier at least as well as they did the Quarter.

Thanks for the extremely detailed and honest review, Graham.

Unfortunately, it actually had an unexpected affect on me - it convinced me NOT to pull the trigger on this one. For $380-$400 shipped, I certainly didn't expect to be getting out superglue and cutting tiny pieces off sprues. I am not a model kit builder, and it's honestly insulting that Yamato would expect the consumer to assemble a great number of details themselves for the price. For $200 or less? Sure, I could understand them wanting to cut corners a bit. For the retail price (not counting the import shipping, since these aren't made for my country, and I understand that) it's unacceptable. I'm quite disheartened, as this was pretty much a "grail" piece for me, possibly my number one most desired Macross collectible. Perhaps if HLJ has one of their crazy clearance sales in the future, I may be swayed, but as it stands, Yamato just lost a sale.

Just in case you missed my post immediately before yours, I'll say it again.......the way Yamato have the arms is correct to the lineart.

The ARMDs are supposed to be away from the legs. they are NOT supposed to touch the legs or lock into the legs

Graham

Wave's mold is horribly inacccurate.

Graham is correct, the arm is not suppose to touch the legs in crusier mode.

Just picked mine up today in HK. I think Yamato pulled it off this time really well. I transformed my 1/3000 today briefly, it is significantly tighter than the 1/2000. The toy feels solid and tight. IMO, probably the best toy yamato have made up to date. Rigidness is on par with the Bandai toys. Also, to be fair, the toy looks a lot better in person than the pictures, the grey is not bad at all. Will take some pics of the 1/3000 with the 1/2000 SDF-1 when I go back to Canada.

I am really happy with it... so far...

Discussed a possible TV version with Yamato today on the phone and they would like to know whether people would only accept a 100% accurate TV version, or would be willing to accept the existing version, but in TV colors, but with all-new resculpted arms (Daedalus & Prometheus).

If you want a 100% accurate TV version, it would require about a 90% all new sclulpt, which would be very expensive and which Yamato feels may not be profitable.

However, if it is just a new arm sculpt and a color change , Yamato may be more open to this.

What is everybody's feeling?

Responses ASAP please.

Graham

Did you receive any info based on our collective responses from Yamato regarding the P and D add-ons? Still want a P and D....it would seem the original TV version SDF-1 has become a victim of Lucas-style revisionism and will probably never again be made into a high-end type collectible ...so like or not movie style SDF-1 is the only choice....with the remake of the original TV story on the pages of Macross the First....I can live with a movie style SDF-1 with TV P and D.....heck I think even the animated SDF-1 in the recent pachinko game is a movie style SDF-1 with P and D....and it looks great... : )

Graham, can the feet/shoes be tilted like they do on the Wave version?

Still on the fence on this one, I really want the TV version, (be it 100% accurate or just repaint with the ship) but the DYRL? looks very nice... and then I think of the price and feel stupid for thinking about getting both if the TV ever comes out :(

A pity the detail is lost on the pics, in some I can make out a lot of detail. Some paneling would make the SDF look great.

Unfortunately, it actually had an unexpected affect on me - it convinced me NOT to pull the trigger on this one. For $380-$400 shipped, I certainly didn't expect to be getting out superglue and cutting tiny pieces off sprues. I am not a model kit builder, and it's honestly insulting that Yamato would expect the consumer to assemble a great number of details themselves for the price.

It's the other way around for me, because I expect I can do better than a factory worker at fixing sprue cuts. See complain thread:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32213

The parts looks much less difficult to work with than stickers anyway.

Graham: Love the video. The ratchet clicking is the best sound effect ever.

Thanks Graham for the review. Like in your review, I'm still on the fence, and that, say, $50 to $80 off would've made me jump on this one. Maybe if I find one later on at a lower rate. If not, oh well, better for me. The toy looks awesome though.

The more I look at those pictures the less accurate the Cruiser mode looks. The legs aren't splayed out quite as far as they are in the line-art, they're always mildly in an "A stance" even while in cruiser. That's one of the things I didn't care for in the DYRL version actually, it looked too much like a giant robot laying down. It's actually closer to the SDF Macross version in this regard.

Did you receive any info based on our collective responses from Yamato regarding the P and D add-ons? Still want a P and D....it would seem the original TV version SDF-1 has become a victim of Lucas-style revisionism and will probably never again be made into a high-end type collectible ...so like or not movie style SDF-1 is the only choice....with the remake of the original TV story on the pages of Macross the First....I can live with a movie style SDF-1 with TV P and D.....heck I think even the animated SDF-1 in the recent pachinko game is a movie style SDF-1 with P and D....and it looks great... : )

Except the Macross in that movie is different in a lot of ways. It's got the bigger at the end booms of the DYRL version, and it's got the arm attachments as well. However, the rest of it is pretty similar to SDF Macross. The biggest difference is that the bridge/head is in proportion to the rest of the body instead of that pea for a head on the DYRL version which I personally dislike.

Mostly, all that CG animation has told me is SDF Macross needs to be redone because it looked pretty cool just for an advertisement.

Except the Macross in that movie is different in a lot of ways. It's got the bigger at the end booms of the DYRL version, and it's got the arm attachments as well. However, the rest of it is pretty similar to SDF Macross. The biggest difference is that the bridge/head is in proportion to the rest of the body instead of that pea for a head on the DYRL version which I personally dislike.

Mostly, all that CG animation has told me is SDF Macross needs to be redone because it looked pretty cool just for an advertisement.

The TV and DYRL are completely different in terms of proportions in many parts and the surface details are completely different. I don't see any similarity for both versions.

macross-dyrl-attack.gifmacross-attack.gif

macross-dyrl-cruiser.gifmacross-cruiser.png

The TV and DYRL are completely different in terms of proportions in many parts and the surface details are completely different. I don't see any similarity for both versions.

macross-dyrl-attack.gifmacross-attack.gif

macross-dyrl-cruiser.gifmacross-cruiser.png

You must have read my response wrong. I was only referring to the differences in that movie posted about the Pachinko Machine and nothing else.

I much prefer the DYRL style Macross, but a movie style Daedalus and Prometheus to go with it would be a nifty accessories pack I'd love to pick up.

One nit-picky thing I noticed about Grahams review, this is not the first SDF-1 toy with knee articulation. There was an old Matchbox die-cast toy, it doesn't transform to carrier mode, but it does have a single click articulated knee-joint. So the 1:3000 is not the only toy, however it might be the only worthwhile toy with one.

One nit-picky thing I noticed about Grahams review, this is not the first SDF-1 toy with knee articulation. There was an old Matchbox die-cast toy, it doesn't transform to carrier mode, but it does have a single click articulated knee-joint. So the 1:3000 is not the only toy, however it might be the only worthwhile toy with one.

If I may, that was PROBABLY a 'Robotech' toy, if it came from Matchbox.

Realistically? Probably not. Technically, though, that would explain why Graham didn't mention it.

Graham may have grown up somewhere Robotech didn't exist, however that doesn't change the fact there is another one with ratcheting knees out there and now we know.

Well. AmiAmi says my MACBETH should be shipping today or tomorrow.

Do I reaaaaaaaaaaaally need a tv version? If it comes with a South Ataria island that was space folded away then I MIGHT consider. ^_^

Wave's mold is horribly inacccurate.

well as horribly inaccurate as it is I like that it doesnt have that massive gap. Just looks like its a robot sleeping.

Graham

I would love a completely TV Lineart Accurate version. Not just a TV colored version of the Movie SDF-1 one. Yes you can add new arms but a lot of the TV version is pretty different as shown with the pics above

Edited by Snail00