Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

RAWR!

_DSC3383.jpg

The Enterprise didn't stand a chance.

Yeah it looks great, I broke down and bought one and should be here by next week.

I need help guys i read you need to glue some parts together? i never did great job with models. What kind of GLUE do i need? Crazy glue?? and where can i get this glue to put it together? and to pick the parts off the little plastic holder is scissors good enough?

Thanks! :(

I used super glue on some parts, and as for cutting the parts off the sprue use a sharp X-acto blade, but make sure you get a cutting mat or you'll be leaving cut marks on your table or in my case bookshelf.

The Enterprise didn't stand a chance.

I used super glue on some parts, and as for cutting the parts off the sprue use a sharp X-acto blade, but make sure you get a cutting mat or you'll be leaving cut marks on your table or in my case bookshelf.

Hey thanks for getting back to me, so crazy glue isn't good to use? I remember i use to use it on old toys and it caused some discoloration on the plastic.

I've been using superglue to attach the small parts. I put a small quantity of superglue in a small container, and use a toothpick to put a small amount where I need it. Keeps the mess and accidents away. I love my SDF-1, but I don't want to walk into emergency with it attached to my hand...

Just got mine today :D I am having a problem getting the body to rotate in the mid section.

I pulled the legs down, then tried to rotate the center section but there is not a enough clearance for it.

I must be doing something wrong. I was watching Graham's video while transforming it.

Edited by Loop

Just got mine today :D I am having a problem getting the body to rotate in the mid section.

I pulled the legs down, then tried to rotate the center section but there is not a enough clearance for it.

I must be doing something wrong. I was watching Graham's video while transforming it.

There is a little tab you have to move. They point to it in the directions on step #16. It slides out and pushes in to lock/unlock the middle section and allow it to spin.

I can't remember which way is which, but if it's locked now for you, the opposite would be unlocked :D

Also want to add, just in case you already found the tab and that's not the issue, you have to pull the legs down a little and the bottom part of the middle slides in. Shown on the 2nd pic on the right in step #13.

Edited by Rabidweezil

There is a little tab you have to move. They point to it in the directions on step #16. It slides out and pushes in to lock/unlock the middle section and allow it to spin.

I can't remember which way is which, but if it's locked now for you, the opposite would be unlocked :D

Also want to add, just in case you already found the tab and that's not the issue, you have to pull the legs down a little and the bottom part of the middle slides in. Shown on the 2nd pic on the right in step #13.

LOL, yeah I just found that tab a few minutes ago, thanks anyways :)

Edited by Loop

Still slowly customizing mine, BUT does anyone know how to put it on the stand in attack mode? My brother and I have one and we have the same pieces for the stand, so I don't think we're missing anything. The instructions to attach it aren't making sense to me.

Still slowly customizing mine, BUT does anyone know how to put it on the stand in attack mode? My brother and I have one and we have the same pieces for the stand, so I don't think we're missing anything. The instructions to attach it aren't making sense to me.

Remove that tiny piece.

post-31-129506160948_thumb.jpg

Ahhhh thank you!!! Had no idea that came off. :o

I just went through the same thing, in my lighting it looked like it was die-cast :huh:

Anyways, I am very impressed with this toy so far.

The only problem I have it is the elbow joint that has the screw in it.

I noticed it had a huge gap near the magnetic rotation part that connect to the ARMD.

When I rotate the arm I have to be careful, because the part gets a gap that I have to push together.

I have not gotten to adding all the bits yet, as I have been playing with the thing more that anything.

Fixed mine up a little.

post-740-129501953733_thumb.jpg

post-740-129501954971_thumb.jpg

A little wash and some panel-lining really brings out the amazing level of surface details that is hard to notice without it.

Hey that looks Awesome! almost looks "weathered" i don't think i have the courage to do that to mine $400 :mellow:

Hey that looks Awesome! almost looks "weathered" i don't think i have the courage to do that to mine $400 :mellow:

I know, right? I am still saving up trying to get my hands on one of these. Its going to be nerve wracking just to handle this thing, much less customize it!

Got mine today. I had the arm defect, but it seems to have been fixed by fidgeting with the screw in the joint a little bit.

It's late so for some reason my mind got totally boggled trying to figure out the stand operation for attacker mode.

All that said it's an amazing toy. Looks awesome in my display. I think I'd probably buy a TV version if they made one.

Got mine today. I had the arm defect, but it seems to have been fixed by fidgeting with the screw in the joint a little bit.

It's late so for some reason my mind got totally boggled trying to figure out the stand operation for attacker mode.

All that said it's an amazing toy. Looks awesome in my display. I think I'd probably buy a TV version if they made one.

Yeah I totally disassembled that section and put it back together. I am still wondering if a bit of glue would not cure it.

When I rotate the gap opens up sometimes. I thought about sanding a bit of the plastic away, but am worried it would make it loose.

I would also buy a TV version if became available. I just hope it will be a little while, seems Yamato is getting a couple thousand a year from me :wacko:

Edited by Loop

Same issue on mine's right arm. What I did to 'fix' it is by unscrewing that elbow section, and add a little chapstick/vaseline on the rotating tabs that house the magnet. So it cause less friction to rotate the ARMD 1 or 2, and lessen the tension to widen the gap. Then put everything back together. I did the same on the other arm, just to even out the tightness on both arms, and less long term stress on the elbow. Works good so far.

I got mine today from HLJ - looks small in the box, but feel big in the hands. Really great details.

I think I may found one bug - can the shoulder rail runs point forward straight in cruiser mode, like the line art?

And since I got a little obsessed by this, I started modding it after the 1st transformation... :blink:

It turns out to be really simple to get what I wanted. Use a 2mm diameter cross screw driver to unscrew the screws that would be covered by part 11 and part 17, it will remove the top covers. I simply swap the top and bottom guns and reattach the covers.

Here are the range of movement before and after:

post-467-129512957944_thumb.jpg

post-467-129512958795_thumb.jpg

And the cruiser mode after modification:

post-467-12951298371_thumb.jpg

Edited by CF18

I got mine today from HLJ - looks small in the box, but fell big in the hands. Really great details.

And since I got a little obsessed by this, I started modding it after the 1st transformation... :blink:

It turns out to be really simple to get what I wanted. Use a 2mm diameter cross screw driver to unscrew the screws that would be covered by part 11 and part 17, it will remove the top covers. I simply swap the top and bottom guns and reattach the covers.

Pure genius mate. I literally slapped my forehead for not thinking about such a simple mod myself. And then I immediately applied it to mine ^_^

Honestly, I’m confident that THIS is the way it was supposed to be put together at the factory.

Fantastic job! Thanks for sharing! :D:D

Oh nice. That's such an easy fix for the rail guns. They must have gotten bad instructions for assembly for all of them to be like that.

No it is not an assembly bug - it has been like that in all 1:3000 and 1:2000 official photos.

This 1/3000 SDF-1 is so good, even Captain Global went out and got one. :lol:

Gloval+Owns+One.jpg

I LOL'ed when I saw this pic from Atom's review at CollectionDX.

Also, just did the rail gun swap. Does work out quite well. Pretty sure the rail guns were intentionally angled (the shapes on the sculpt line up better with the shoulder before the swap), following the line art ortho views. Its a bit of an oversight though to think that the guns cannot point straight, as it did in the movie and other drawings.

Stuff like this makes me very hesitate to cover the screws at all, in case I want to do minor fixes or adjust tightness on the parts...

Edited by mpchi

If you plan on playing with this beauty then you should probably glue all of your pieces on tight; however, if you are like me, and only pose your high end collectibles occasionally when you decide to dust, if even then, then a dry fitting should suffice.

I didn't use a drop of glue anywhere on my SDF-1, and all the parts fit like the best snap-fit kits I've ever built.

Again, if you 'play' with this thing then glue it, but if you 'pose & display' then you should be ok.