Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Nice Review

It does look nice. But it really needs more paint apps. The grey plain plastic look...sigh,so much potential to spruce it up with paint. It might help to take a gundam marker to highlight all the panel lining. And Macross city could use a painters touch as well.

One thing. On my wave the feet tilt, does the feet tilt on this toy?

"Will Yamato release a 1:3000 scale TV version SDF-1 Macross next? Well, they are still undecided and a large part of that decision may well depend on how well this DYRL version sells. To release a 100% accurate TV version would require almost all new tooling, which is a very expensive proposition. So if the DYRL version sells very well (and preorder indications are very positive), we could possibly get a TV version sometime in the future."

I hope it does sell well so we can get a TV version

Looking at your picture here really makes me want a TV version. And the rating seems suitable..even with the paint apps missing. The transformation seems solid!G-man is it possible to bring the ARMD ships closer to the legs to take away that gap that the WAVE Version doesnt have?

post-12470-129351044813_thumb.jpg

Edited by Snail00

I still haven't received payment confirmation from AmiAmi.

It looks like I'll be getting it WELL after the New Years as well. :(

We will be closed from Dec. 30(Thu) 2010 to Jan. 4(Tue) 2011 for Japanese New Years Holiday.

Orders, payments and e-mails received during the above period will be responded in the order they were received starting on January 5th, 2011.

We ask for your patience during this period as it may take a few days for us to respond to all communications.

Thank you again for shopping with AmiAmi.

Edited by UN Spacy

Nice Review

It does look nice. But it really needs more paint apps. The grey plain plastic look...sigh,so much potential to spruce it up with paint. It might help to take a gundam marker to highlight all the panel lining. And Macross city could use a painters touch as well.

What you described are what we call the weathering version in which I am pretty sure that Yamato is going to do it down the road.

One thing. On my wave the feet tilt, does the feet tilt on this toy?

is it possible to bring the ARMD ships closer to the legs to take away that gap that the WAVE Version doesnt have?

post-12470-129351044813_thumb.jpg

No, the feet don't tilt.

No, I don't think it is possible to bring the arms closer.

Graham

Good catch on that one. Compared to Graham's pics, other shots like the ones in Toy's Daily like this one:

1227-00300-004b2.jpg?t=978280901863

seem to have longer spikes. Are they retractable then?

Could catch on the spike length.

I will check when I go home and I'll also ask Yamato.

Graham

Good catch on that one. Compared to Graham's pics, other shots like the ones in Toy's Daily like this one:

1227-00300-004b2.jpg?t=978280901863

seem to have longer spikes. Are they retractable then?

Looks like they are retractable, as seen from this picture from Graham's review, but of course, best to have Graham confirm it for us

CruiserB_2.JPG

Thanks Graham for the kick @ss review! It's definitely whetted my appetite for this! Can't wait to get that payment notice from amiami :lol:

SOrry, Totally off topic but Eugimon has changed his profile pic! That VF-0S was the main pic for years right? Okay stone me!

Thanks for the thorough review, complete with pics and vids no less!!

As our own "thank you," do you want us to send you some stong sedatives or a few tranqulizers to shut the yappers on those dogs? :D

Definitely love how solid the figure and transformation look. Hopefully, this does well enough to warrant a genuine TV-style release!

Thanks for the review, pics, and video Graham. FYI, there's a typo with the text you just added: "They have also added knee joint articulation, which the larger 1:3000 version lacks."

should be 1:2000 version, rite?

cant' wait to get one! already have a space reserved in my cabinet

Edited by KiriK

SOrry, Totally off topic but Eugimon has changed his profile pic! That VF-0S was the main pic for years right? Okay stone me!

haha... yeah. I changed my pic. Sorry if it caused any confusion! :lol:

amiami payment request received and paid for, now the waiting begins in earnest.

I'm just going to come right out and say it... I find this to be quite underwhelming.

All of the fine detail, construction and complexity are impressive; but it looks so incredibly bland as a whole. There's just so much bare plastic (and I really dislike the plastic finish Macross toys from Yamato have), it doesn't feel like a $300+ TOY; it feels like it's a nicely detailed model that they didn't bother to paint.

I think the problem is that my personal tastes in toys don't quite line up with the products Yamato chooses to make more than anything else. To me surface finish and painted detail is worth more than all the fine sculpted detail and complex engineering in the world. Even though they're not nearly as detailed as the Yamato figure, I actually prefer the WAVE SDF-1 or the Macross Quarter, as I find the paint and glossy plastic to be far more visually impressive when viewed from any reasonable distance.

Perhaps I'm the only person who feels this way, but the 1/3000 SDF-1 would really have been more appealing if it was released as an unpainted, unassembled kit for about $150~$200. The actual parts that make it up definitely look like they're worth that much, but I don't see an extra $100~$150 in the paint and final assembly.

I just got AmiAmi's payment request.

Item price: 25790

Shipping Fee: 4840 (EMS)

TOTAL: 31630JPY

Woohoo, just received the same! 4840 EMS shipping to Canada too. Came out to $395.40cdn for interested Canucks! Boy the Yen is high! But from the review, it looks totally worth it. Can't wait to paint this puppy up!!

Confirmed, the spikes on the end of the main guns are retractable. According to Yamato they just pull out and can be extended by about 15mm. Doh! not sure how I missed that. Will have to amend the review and add some more pics.

Graham

Thanks for the confirmation, Graham. And of course, thanks for the detailed review as well.

I'm just going to come right out and say it... I find this to be quite underwhelming.

All of the fine detail, construction and complexity are impressive; but it looks so incredibly bland as a whole. There's just so much bare plastic (and I really dislike the plastic finish Macross toys from Yamato have), it doesn't feel like a $300+ TOY; it feels like it's a nicely detailed model that they didn't bother to paint.

I think the problem is that my personal tastes in toys don't quite line up with the products Yamato chooses to make more than anything else. To me surface finish and painted detail is worth more than all the fine sculpted detail and complex engineering in the world. Even though they're not nearly as detailed as the Yamato figure, I actually prefer the WAVE SDF-1 or the Macross Quarter, as I find the paint and glossy plastic to be far more visually impressive when viewed from any reasonable distance.

Perhaps I'm the only person who feels this way, but the 1/3000 SDF-1 would really have been more appealing if it was released as an unpainted, unassembled kit for about $150~$200. The actual parts that make it up definitely look like they're worth that much, but I don't see an extra $100~$150 in the paint and final assembly.

I feel the same way too. But! BUT! This toy could have had the nice paint apps that could wow us. Look at the love the Yamato 1/24 Patlabor got. Detail. Gimmicks. And one beautiful paint app. Now when it first came out it also went for around $400 CDN but I waited, waited some more, was about to buy the blue one and then I found a new one on ebay for less than 200 bucks. Like someone already said, Yamato may come out with a weathering version. If that is the case this one may drop in price. Me personally I hope sales go well for Yamato. I would really like to see the TV version

Actually, judging by your Gunpla pics your pretty good with an airbrush, you could make this SDF look so nice.

Edited by Snail00

hey might. If you look at the picture there appear to be gaps around the spikes. Also the manual shows the spikes extended in all the pics as well. Graham is this a "feature"? -- NEVERMIND. In the time I took to post this Graham said it was....smile.gif

closeup.jpg?psid=1

Edited by logos

Woohoo, just received the same! 4840 EMS shipping to Canada too. Came out to $395.40cdn for interested Canucks! Boy the Yen is high! But from the review, it looks totally worth it. Can't wait to paint this puppy up!!

Same here. It's nice that where you live in Urban Ontario or Rural Saskatchewan the price is the same for shipping to Canada.......happy.gif

Now lets see $200 Christmas bonus covers half of this (edit: no wait it doesn't, Caesar takes 35%mad.gif)...mellow.gif...now where to get the rest.....huh.gif......ramen for a month again and no book purchases for the next couple months....ohmy.gif....man January going to suck until this toy shows up.laugh.gif.....now to make the Christmas leftovers that my Mom sent home with me stretch out a few more days.

Edited by logos

I kinda feel the same way. It's the same reason why I'm also hesitating in buying Bandai's SoC GX-57 Space Battleship Yamato and opting to go with the cheaper 1/500 kit.

I'll have to think some more before committing to buy Yamato's 1/3000 SDF-1. :unsure:

And I was going to buy an AT-AT after seeing this video review from CollectionDX. Oh well if I bought that and all the extra action figures I would need for it, it would probably come out to around the $395Can. I just spent on the SDF1 anyway.

Damn! happy.gif Macross wins every time when it comes to my toy purchases.

Edited by logos

Confirmed, the spikes on the end of the main guns are retractable. According to Yamato they just pull out and can be extended by about 15mm. Doh! not sure how I missed that. Will have to amend the review and add some more pics.

Graham

Damnit! Now i have no reason to complain....except the price of course.

Great review Graham, as always. I agree with you on the price being the only negative item on this ship. Even with 5,000 Yen less on the price as you suggested that's still pretty steep. I guess I'll just have to stick with my old Matchbox deal...

Thanks for the review, Graham.

I don't think I'll get one until the price drops, though. Also, I'm really low on space, especially now that I have the enormous Akira bike reissue. That one I wouldn't have bought if it hadn't been largely reduced either.

G-man is it possible to bring the ARMD ships closer to the legs to take away that gap that the WAVE Version doesnt have?

Actually, according to the SDF-1 lineart in the DYRL gold book, the gap between the ARMDs and the legs in Cruiser mode is correct.

Graham

post-11-129354577471_thumb.jpg