Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

LOL, attachable parts are a PLUS? C'mon, let's get rid of Tampo painted on detail and go back to all stickers. It will stop the polyfoam from rubbing off the paint, make people less likely to scratch their toys, and assure that no one forgets to paint a part in the production process!

It's a big silver lining thing i guess.

Yes I did. I think it's a measure on Yamato's behalf to eliminate possible QC issues before they happen. By sending you sprues and making you attach the wee bits there's no possibility that they were either left off at the factory or fell/broke off during packing/shipping/unpacking.

Also, as toy guy, It doesn't bother me to have to attach them.

That was exactly what I was thinking also! They are just trying to minimize breakage during shipping. Take 5 minutes and snap on a few pieces, DONE.

I don't like to do the parts myself, but I can live with it. And this also happens on Soul of Chogokin series (Bandai).

The MQ looks like a toy in comparison. Nothing beats the VF-1 and SDF-1, except their TV counterparts. :p

More pictures:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/thread-144080-1-1.html

THanks for the link. I'm glad that several parts are re-inforced with magnets for attachment.

Many members here will be pleased with the final touch on the bridge with transparent windshield instead of paint...

The details is beyong my expectation.

Wow, and here I thought it was impossible to make the Daedalus attack look sucky... :mellow:

HLJ has it in stock now. The question now is... Will it have knee articulation? (Anybody remember that MW flamewar? :lol: )

Afaik it does have the knee articulation, I read it on one of the product descriptions somewhere.......not sure which retailer it was though.

*edit

Just noticed the review was up! It does have limited knee articulation :)

Thanks for the great review Graham!

Edited by Loop

Afaik it does have the knee articulation, I read it on one of the product descriptions somewhere.......not sure which retailer it was though.

Yes, it does have knee articulation. I show it in the video transformation guide, but forgot to mention it in the text.

Graham

It looks good, but I still want a TV version, the thing I'm still wondering is why the HELL did yamato do a DRYL version first? I think the popular vote would easily go to TV, so now we have to wait on the sales of this thing to see if we will even get a later released TV version, ah yamato.....

i'm sold on the toy but i don't want to pay that price even with hlj or amiami's discounted prices. hopefully it gets discounted even more in the future. seeing it next to the old school 1/3000 tv sdf-1 makes me want a company to make a reissue or updated version too.

Thanks graham.... I've been spending the last 2 hours reading your review and comparing the pictures from 1/2000 scale. I must say that the 1/3000 scale toy is basically the scaled down version in term of details. Awesome toy and I enjoy your review.

AWESOME!!!! Us model building guys LOVE to see parts that we have to attach!!!! :lol:

I love the slight assembly, it will make painting that much easier! Thanks Graham for the wonderful review, I for one am so glad that I pre-ordered this and the review comfirms it! This is definitely one that I will clean up the seams and detail and paint up with tiny panels and details to give it even more scale that such a wonderful toy deserves. Of course I will try to post up a step-by-step thread on these boards as a foray back into this world again - maybe we can make it a group (not necessarily a build) improvement thread!

Thanks again, I haven't been this excited about a toy for a few years!

AmiAmi hasn't requested payment on the pre-ordering though, has anyone received notice?

Edited by wm cheng

The "spikes" at the end of the macross cannons are greatly shortened in this version for some reason. That's my only qualm.

Good catch on that one. Compared to Graham's pics, other shots like the ones in Toy's Daily like this one:

1227-00300-004b2.jpg?t=978280901863

seem to have longer spikes. Are they retractable then?