Yamato 1/3000 SDF-1 Macross

Save

Yamato really need to fire the current designer and have someone else do the box art... it's the weakest part of their toys.

I agree.

Most of the knock off packaging from the 80's looked 10,000 times better than these. Slap some damn anime on there (ie Bandai).

How to make Yamato box art:

1) Type in Space Background in stockphotos.com

2) Mask out toy photo

3) Pick a generic serif font, bold it, then apply a embroid-type filter and stroke to it

4) Put random starbursts in and around the picture

ATTENTION ALL GRAPHIC DESIGNERS: Yamato is hiring graphic designers. Must own your own copy of photoshop and a powermac. We'll pay you $13 an hour! And 10% off all product (excluding exclusives). Japan residents only please.

Edited by fifbeat

They normally use the prototype pics for these shots/ covers, so what you see may not be representative of the final product.

Anyway, i agree their box art standars have taken a serious nosdive recently. I can still live with that, as long as the actual toy is top notch.

I'm fine with the box art. But they should have at least put a LITTLE effort into it. :(

Their Patlabor 1/24 has glorious art and it was packaged in styrofoam WITH a silk cloth.

Yes, so long actual stuff inside is different. But tis boxart standard need improve or else can mislead people. Still remember graham said this is much better than wave version. So im keeping my faith on actual product.

Meh as far as I'm concerned all a box is good for is decorating the inside of a recycling bin.

Otherwise I cant wait for this :D

:o

I'm shocked! I always save my fancy Japanese weeaboo packaging.

I find how the box looks to be a very important part of the toy buying experience. Opening up the shipping box and pulling out a professionally designed box with high quality art helps take the sting out of spending $300+ on a piece of plastic.

does anyone know if this is pretty much the same size as the takatoku 1/3000 SDF-1? I want to know how tall the new SDF-1 is in Attack Mode

Yes, there is a picture of Yamato version standing side by side with Bandai/Takatoku version couple pages back.

:o

I'm shocked! I always save my fancy Japanese weeaboo packaging.

I find how the box looks to be a very important part of the toy buying experience. Opening up the shipping box and pulling out a professionally designed box with high quality art helps take the sting out of spending $300+ on a piece of plastic.

I've never understood the big deal over packaging, the only reason I keep some of the packaging is for storage purposes, I'm interested in the toy not the box it came in.

I've never understood the big deal over packaging, the only reason I keep some of the packaging is for storage purposes, I'm interested in the toy not the box it came in.

Are you kidding me man!! The artwork on the box represents the nostalgic aspect and collectors alike do love their toys to be MISB as well for whatever purposes it may be.

Any updates as to when this will be available? Are we really talking December? Those of us budgeting for holiday shopping would like to know.

Personally, as badly as I want this, I can wait another month or so for it.

Ditto. I may come to regret it, but I pulled the trigger on the Macross Quarter because it was 50% off. With any luck I'll be able to save back up the money I spent on the Quarter and the money I will spend on the upcoming Blade Runner Spinner toy and buy the SDF-1 in January. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Do we KNOW the actual PRICE on this yet????? Christmas is right around the corner---need to start budgeting... :blink:

What? The price was revealed months ago, 32,800 yen, but you can get it for around 27,000 yen or $325 + shipping.

Got my production version a couple of days ago, but no time to open it yet, will do so tonight.

Yamato say the release date in Japan is 28th Dec.

Toys are currently en-route from the factory in China to Japan.

Graham

can't wait to see some pictures of packaging and toy itself. :)