Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Not sure if anyone else has been following Edgar Wright's new film adaptation of "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World", but apparently he surprised everyone at Comic Con in San Diego with an unannounced screening of the film. The fellas at /Film attended the screening and have a spoiler-free video blog review of the film on their website. Needless to say, the reaction has been tremendous. As a fan of Edgar Wright's previous films I was already closely watching and eagerly awaiting this new movie. I'm even more excited after watching this review. If you're interested, check out the link:

Video Blog Review of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is scheduled for release on August 13th.

• 3 weeks later...

Comes out tomorrow. Reviews are generally good but seem more age-skewed than is usual. From what I've read, if you grew up with video games in the 80s or 90s, you're much more inclined to like the film. Any older and the critics are crying ADHD. I think I'll like it :)

Just got home from seeing this. It was very funny and a lot of the action sequences brought a smile to my face. For a movie that avoided being serious, they did a good job with the razzle-dazzle.

I just about fell out of my chair laughing at the end of the encounter with the movie-star ex.

Got back from a late showing with some friends. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is a movie that defines what "fun" should mean when you go to the theatre. So many films promise it, yet so few deliver: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World delivered fun and then some. There were so many hilarious gags hurled at the audience almost relentlessly that I often found myself laughing over the next joke in line. The performances were spot on and I liked every character from the leads all the way to the minor characters. Chris Evan's over-acting action hero was a favorite of mine. The editing of this film is particularly notable for it's high-bandwidth pace and brilliant sense of comedic timing. This is definitely one really tight flick with barely any moment wasted. The comic book and video game elements of this movie are used to incredible effect, such that they confidently transition the audience from dramedy into the effects-laden, over-the-top martial arts action sequences (each of which are very inventive and powerfully kinetic). The film is rife with anime references: every member here should at least see the movie to appreciate the homages. Edgar Wright definitely has his game on with this film!

I also must say I was blown away by how Canadian this film was, however regional. I had heard about Toronto being a notable element of the film, but was completely unprepared for the unapologetic use of Canadiana throughout the movie. Not only did they shoot Toronto-for-Toronto, but I recognized almost every part of the city in which they shot, from street cars and buses to pubs and landmarks. While I'm sure many Americans have been used to watching their homes on screen for years, it was surreal watching my city on the big screen in such a big way. The film didn't stop there and included a soundtrack full of great Canadian bands like Metric and Broken Social Scene as well as hilarious T-Dot homages such as Scott's t-shirt emblazoned with the word "SARS" :)

While I didn't have the same "religious" experience after watching the film as those of my fellow internet denizens and geeks, I will say Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is one of the best films this year and certainly one of the MOST FUN. It'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

A ridiculous and unexpected bonus...the trailer played for M. Night Shayamalan's next film Devil. Halfway through, a girl in the audience bust out laughing at the awfulness of the trailer and the crowd went wild. We laughed until our stomachs hurt and at the end, someone in the audience yelled, "first negative score on rotten tomatoes!" :lol:

I liked the film a lot. I was impressed with how they got the feel of the books down without copying them panel for panel. The result was a coherent whole, athough the pacing is a lot quicker than the books. While it made for a good flick, I felt some of the deeper themes of the books (like growing up, owning up to past mistakes, and believing that people can change) were kind of glossed over.

I gotta say, they did a really good job casting the movie, too. Almost everyone was spot on, especially Ellen Wong as Knives Chau and Mark Webber as Stephen Stills. The only casting I'd change would be to ditch Alison Pill as Kim Pine (she's got the freckles and the attitude, but looks too much like a boy for me), and maybe have Michael Cera and Johnny Simmons (Young Neil) switch roles. Cera's good at playing geekier characters, but he's too much of a weenie for me to believe that he's "the best fighter in the province".

Just got back, loved it, funniest movie I've ever seen I think. If you have ever played Mario, Zelda, Street Fighter, Guitar Hero, or most any RPG ever, you should like it.

PS--we too had people mocking the "Devil" trailer---there was a collective groan when "M Night Shaylaman" came up on screen and we all bust out laughing right after that.

PS--we too had people mocking the "Devil" trailer---there was a collective groan when "M Night Shaylaman" came up on screen and we all bust out laughing right after that.

heh... it wasn't as profound in the theater when I saw it. I think I was one of two people to actually laugh out loud when the trailer ended.

Edited by frothymug

Awww, I almost feel cheated now. For some reason they didn't show the Devil trailer at the theatre I went to. Instead we got a horribly out of place Nanny McPhee trailer.

Anyway, all I can really do is echo most of the opinions so far. Saw it, laughed a lot, and generally enjoyed the show. Tons of fun for the Nintendo (and Sega in my case) generation on up.

i didnt see the Devil trailer either, but that isnt a good sign at all :(

As for SPvsTW; Best movie of the year for me. I had SO much fun watchign this film, and I hope catch itr again before the run ends in cinemas. Fun from start to finish, the fighting is jaw droppingly good and the style is just so Edgar Wright i nearly creid in joy. This cements Wright as one of my top 3 directors right now; all 3 of his films arent just GOOD, they're AMAZING!

Edgar Wright did a great job of making Alison Pill look *really* fugly.

Thank you! I'm not the only one.

Which kind of sucked, because while I can see why they'd think she looks like a good choice for Kim Pine, I always figured Kim would be hotter.

Saw it this weekend. Both my girlfriend and I thought it was pure fun. Funniest movie I've seen in a while. As far as numbers go though, it's a shame it's doing poorly:

The other new wide release, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, had a much harder time connecting with audiences. The Michael Cera-starrer grossed only $10.5 million, far less than the studio had hoped. The film from British director Edgar Wright, with a budget of $60 million, was a huge hit at Comic-Con that hasn’t translated to the real world. Those that did attend the hyper-kinetic action love story had a great time, though: The film generated an A- from CinemaScore with audiences under 25 giving it an A. Still, Scott Pilgrim is likely to be viewed as a significant under-performer for the studio

The reason that Edgar White crammed all the novels into one movie is that he didn't want to leave it hanging for a sequel that never gets made. However he did say he would make more if the movie does well. So here's to it pulling surprise profits out of somewhere. :ph34r:

Graham, I think the test for if you should see it is fairly simple:

Have you played Zelda? Specifically, A Link to the Past?

Have you played Super Mario Brothers 1, Tetris, Street Fighter 2, Guitar Hero, and any 8 or 16 bit RPG?

If you answered yes to both, you absolutely must see it. If only 1, probably should see it. If zero---you probably wouldn't get 80% of the references---however, the dialogue on its own IMHO is brilliant.

The poor numbers this weekend are surprising, considering the target audience. Frankly, 95% of this forum should see it.

Graham, I think the test for if you should see it is fairly simple:

Have you played Zelda? Specifically, A Link to the Past?

Nah, never played a single Zelda game. I never bought into Nintendo. Never liked their cutesy characters. The only Nintendo console I ever owned was a Japanese Super Famicom, so I could play Scrambled Valkyrie.

Back in the early to mid 90s', I was far more of a Sega Mega-Drive fan.

Have you played Super Mario Brothers 1, Tetris, Street Fighter 2, Guitar Hero, and any 8 or 16 bit RPG?

I can't stand Mario Brothers, naver could. Don't like the game and as mentioned, hate the cutsey characters. Never was a Street Fighter fan and the only Tetris I play is on my cell phone, when I'm travelling and really, really bored.

If you answered yes to both, you absolutely must see it. If only 1, probably should see it. If zero---you probably wouldn't get 80% of the references---however, the dialogue on its own IMHO is brilliant.

The poor numbers this weekend are surprising, considering the target audience. Frankly, 95% of this forum should see it.

Will probably pass then, or catch it as a rental.

Graham

Awesome movie, but really, not surprised "The Expendables" is spanking it, as this is far from mass market fodder action flick. I'm sure it will do great on bluray & DVD though, I'm already set to pre-order whenever it comes out.

Also prompted me to check out the game on PSN, which so far seems equally epic.

Edited by Keith

Lets see:

One of my favorite directors: Edgar Wright

One of my favorite actors: Michael Cera

One of my favorite musicians doing the soundtrack: Beck

Yeah, I'm excited. :D

AMEN. Cap lock off.

You like that twerp? He plays the same frigging character. Same oh same oh.

Sadly, so does every other actor in the industry.

Cera is likable.

It was really good. I got many of the references right away but it got annoying when my cousin who I went with and read all six graphic novels told me the differences between the books and the film, during the movie! I'm gonna have to watch it without the distraction.

Wow, perhaps the best movies I've seen all year. I mean, A-Team was really fun, but this one had the comedy rolling non-stop.

Great music, great actors, wonderful action sequences, and the video game action was freaking awesome.

Edited by one_klump

Too bad about the poor box office for this film. I'm sure that it will make back the production costs in time, but it does not bode well for other Comic adaptations....

Too bad about the poor box office for this film. I'm sure that it will make back the production costs in time, but it does not bode well for other Comic adaptations....

Meh, I'm sure the success of iron man 2 will mean comic book adaptations will still be coming fast and heavy.