i need an update, can someone get me up to speed on 1/60's?

vf1x

hi all, it's been a LONG time and i've been out of the macross world (no pun intended) for the last 7 years. well, i'm back and i have some catching up to do. first thing i want to know is what's this about a version 2 yamato 1/60 valkyrie? it's old news to you but new to me. what are the differences between this second gen and the first? thanks in advance.

Edited by vf1x

as you can see, it is the most accurate, well balanced variable replica of the VF-1 to date.

a word of caution though; there exists a problem with the first run of Fokker 1S, the first 1/60ver.II release.

the knurled pin in the shoulder joint can cause the joint to crack if it was improperly assembled in the factory.

those with damaged copies have been able to get replacement shoulder joints here on MW, however...

one more thing; there is a revision in the nosecone/hip latching mechanism. it was adopted sometime around the

release of the Hikaru VF-1J T.V. with FAST packs, or thereabouts. it is beneficial to seek out this current revision,

as it allows the hip section to lock together much more firmly.

here are the differences;

(OLD DESIGN ON FOKKER WHITE, NEW ON FOKKER DARK BLUE)

LV-VF-1S-4.jpg

bear this in mind, and, by all means, secure at least one of these for yourself. you won't regret it!!

Edited by Shaorin

oh, by the way vf1x; are you perchance Mr.Jerry Tsai from the old "VF-1x.com" ?

i bought a 1/55 VF-1 left arm/shoulder joint module from him, back around 2001ish,

for my very first variable valkyrie, a TRANS FORMERS JETFIRE with a missing left arm

that i traded off all my old G.I. JOE toys from my childhood for back in 2000...

Edited by Shaorin

yep, that's me! i'm back after a long hiatus. not sure if they're available someplace else, but i have pics from that first MW-con if anyone wants to see them.

thanks for the updates, the v.2 1/60 is looks a lot like a smaller 1/48. very nice. i really don't like the first ones that came out.

Edited by vf1x

lol. I remembered because my MWCon shirt says "inspired by VF1X". You should post those pics in the Convention section and check out MWCon 10 (that's right... 10!) at UCLA this Oct.

Yeah... I hated the first 1/60s. But it allowed me to finish collecting the 1/55s. These 1/60s are totally awesome. I was just looking at it yesterday and they don't seem to be small toys. They're pretty big. But then you go back to the 1/48s and those feel like they're huge. But the fit and tightness of the 1/60s are what puts them over the top. Totally recommended.

Ah Mr Jerry Tsai! Welcome back! Think we lost you right after the forums upgrade 7 years ago where we all had to re-register?

Anyway, this is the link to Graham's review of the initial release of the VF-1S strike.

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/VF-1-160-Review/VF-1S_review.html

Also, you can check out the list of released valks by Yamato and Bandai overt he last 10 years in the pinned thread in this Toy section maintained by Grand Cannon. Not just VF-1s, but other VFs as well.

For more reviews on the various releases, you can also go to Jenius's site @ www.anymoon.com. loads of good stuff there.

Despite some imperfections of the initial releases (Osteoporisis shoulders and difficult hip/crotch mechanism), I think they are pretty much what I always wanted from a VF-1 Toy.

Of course, please check out Macross Frontier if you haven't already!

I still prefer 1/48, all I have is a 1/60 VF-1D and a TV VF-1S on the way, but that said the 1/48's are getting very hard to find and they're pricey, but I have to admitt these 1/60 are quite nice and in almost every milked color scheme you can think of.

wow, thanks guys, i'm honored that you remember me! :)

thanks for all the info. yea, i watched macross frontier recently but i saw one of those funky subtitled versions, so i'm going to have to re-watch it to get the details down. ...and yes, i'm still into cars!

Is it correct to say that the Yamato 1/60 v2 line covers the most VF-1 models throughout the years?

Besides the double-seated VF-1D, we have VF-1D Virgin Road. We even have TV version of VF-1S.

The VF-X is coming forth too!

Life would be sweeter upon the arrival of Phalanx (was announced before) and Spartan (never planned according to Mr. G).

I already give up hopes on 1/60 Monster and Regult and other enemy mechs. At least complete the Destroids, DAMN IT!

Where'd you find a "funky" subtitled version? Good subtitles where amost always available within 24 hours of the original Japanese airing, and they only got better as time went on...

yea, i got hosed. i actually bought one of those cheapy dvd sets here in l.a. from a questionable seller. half the discs wouldn't load properly and the translation seemed as if it were done by a 2 year old. lol

Is it correct to say that the Yamato 1/60 v2 line covers the most VF-1 models throughout the years?

Besides the double-seated VF-1D, we have VF-1D Virgin Road. We even have TV version of VF-1S.

The VF-X is coming forth too!

Life would be sweeter upon the arrival of Phalanx (was announced before) and Spartan (never planned according to Mr. G).

I already give up hopes on 1/60 Monster and Regult and other enemy mechs. At least complete the Destroids, DAMN IT!

i'm with you, i'd absolutely LOVE to see the destroids, especially the monster, and all the variations of the regult made.

1/60 v2 = enhanced 1/48 vf-1 shrunken down and given more posability for robot mode fans.

The hands are no longer girl robots since in proportion to the rest of the robot's body, they look normal. :p

Hands I reckon are important.

As an example: GBP 1/48 made the hands look so ridiculously small, that they needed to blow the size up more by giving you bigger versions of hand that were larger than the tv series bubble hands, just to keep the tough look consistent.

The new yamato direction is to make the feet small now. As has been seen with the 1/60 yf-21. Girl legs, and tiny feet for Guld's robot.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Hi, Jerry, welcome back! Glad to see your interest has revived. There are still quite a few of us old folk left. That online shop you had was absolutely incredible, between you and Valkyrie Exchange the Macross-shopping online world was really thriving. Of course now there are big-hitters like HLJ which have their own warehouses and everything. Still, there's something to be said about the close-knit MW community of the early 2000s, even if I was always a continent or two away from California.

Now all we need is Rosario Love, Rick the Hunter and Yoshi to come back and old-school MW shenanigans can begin anew!

EDIT -- For relevance's sake: If I had to choose, I prefer the 1/48 over the new 1/60. The 1/60 fixed the problems of the 1/48, and added new ones that were not there before, so it's pick yer poison. In terms of accuracy, do you like long crotches or long necks? I'm one of those who cannot stand the position of the head on the 1/60, it is WRONG. I only got two 1/60s: the VF-1D and the VE-1, and that's just because they never made 1/48s of them.

Edited by Renato

Hi, Jerry, welcome back! Glad to see your interest has revived. There are still quite a few of us old folk left. That online shop you had was absolutely incredible, between you and Valkyrie Exchange the Macross-shopping online world was really thriving. Of course now there are big-hitters like HLJ which have their own warehouses and everything. Still, there's something to be said about the close-knit MW community of the early 2000s, even if I was always a continent or two away from California.

Now all we need is Rosario Love, Rick the Hunter and Yoshi to come back and old-school MW shenanigans can begin anew!

EDIT -- For relevance's sake: If I had to choose, I prefer the 1/48 over the new 1/60. The 1/60 fixed the problems of the 1/48, and added new ones that were not there before, so it's pick yer poison. In terms of accuracy, do you like long crotches or long necks? I'm one of those who cannot stand the position of the head on the 1/60, it is WRONG. I only got two 1/60s: the VF-1D and the VE-1, and that's just because they never made 1/48s of them.

aw man, you're bringing it all back! my memory is a bit rusty, but i also want to see where a whole bunch of other guys went like jung, rob beers from spain, my boy max jenius from alaska... anyone hear from rick the hunter? his disappearance has always been a mystery to me.

The YF-21's feet don't fit inside fighter mode as it is, how could they possibly be bigger?

Yeah but the same could be said of the clown hands on 1/48. Why didn't yamato do clown feet? :) Why do hands get special treatment but not feet? Come on, you don't think it would be cool to detach the small feet and attach clown ones for battroid mode?

Yeah WB VF1X... I think I still have one of your shirts. I also have some stuff from your car website I think...

But short version is that almost all of the current Yamato releases are 1/60 scale. Mac Plus had all its valks redesigned in a 1/60 design. Mac zero had 1/60 releases. The VF-1s were already covered above. There are alot of designs that were never released in the original 1/60 scale that were made in the 2nd version.

Yeah but the same could be said of the clown hands on 1/48. Why didn't yamato do clown feet? :) Why do hands get special treatment but not feet? Come on, you don't think it would be cool to detach the small feet and attach clown ones for battroid mode?

well, for me, it's just the palm(grip) that needs to be switched if you want the anime TV look, not the whole hands, so it is still an acceptable option...

But, if you have to attach whole sets of feet just to look bigger, then it's a major turn off for me. Small compromises in order to achieve perfect transformation is unavoidable, imho.

That said, I like my VF-22 just the way it is...score an almost perfect score in my books! :p

A quick update on the 1/60? Let's see.. broken or cracked shoulders, canopies that crack or peel..I'm not sure what you would call it...and I think I read that the legs or hip joints are stuck together on the VF-1D..

In other words...Yamato is up to their usual standards...

Edited by bandit29

A quick update on the 1/60? Let's see.. broken or cracked shoulders, canopies that crack or peel..I'm not sure what you would call it...and I think I read that the legs or hip joints are stuck together on the VF-1D..

In other words...Yamato is up to their usual standards...

Just to be very clear: The canopy doesn't crack. so-called rainbow color coating might be prone to flaking/ peeling. More cosmetic an issue. The shoulders, on the other hand, is a real problem with especially the earlier releases.

Come on, you don't think it would be cool to detach the small feet and attach clown ones for battroid mode?

I think that sounds absolutely awful.

In other words...Yamato is up to their usual standards... people are making mountains out of mole-hills

fixed for you. ;)

the shoulder problem is only common on the first 4~5 releases. All new releases starting with the Max type VF-1S has been fixed (except for the VF-1J+GPB armor bundle, which used old VF-1J stock from 2008).

here's a list of every macross toy ever released: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29393 if what you're buying is from 2009 or later, it's probably safe.

as for the canopy thing: The inner surface of the canopy has a coating that gives it a reflective, "rainbow" tint. The stuff is fairly delicate and on occasions will just start peeling off. If it does, just take some tissue paper dipped in rubbing alcohol and rub the stuff off.

As for the hip thing: something like 3~4 people have snapped the peg off the back of the hip/intake on there VF-1D. it's a limited number of isolated cases that appear to be mostly the result of the person separating parts with excessive force, and the part that's breaking isn't even vital to the transformation/stability of the toy.

Edited by anime52k8

Just to be very clear: The canopy doesn't crack. so-called rainbow color coating might be prone to flaking/ peeling. More cosmetic an issue.

Indeed, technically the coating flakes off.

as for the canopy thing: The inner surface of the canopy has a coating that gives it a reflective, "rainbow" tint. The stuff is fairly delicate and on occasions will just start peeling off. If it does, just take some tissue paper dipped in rubbing alcohol and rub the stuff off.

As for the hip thing: something like 3~4 people have snapped the peg off the back of the hip/intake on there VF-1D. it's a limited number of isolated cases that appear to be mostly the result of the person separating parts with excessive force, and the part that's breaking isn't even vital to the transformation/stability of the toy.

For the record the coating is no longer a problem too since Yamato has stopped putting these coating since the Albino VF-1S.

Ok I might buy one of these long necked dudes.

Anime52k8:

what about the 1/60 Hikaru VF1S super + strike parts plus release? (from do you remember love when hikaru blows off bodolzas face in a bukake-like orgy of gunpod fire which wins the war)

Oh please say it's not just reboxed old stock (from older unsold releases like the hikaru GBP one) cause I really like this one. heh It's the one that has the keyholder thing and released towards the end of 2009.

I can't afford to spend too much after just getting vf-22s. No broken sh!t for me please yamato.

jenius's review says 'rumored to be safe' in the list, but has anyone here bought one and had any problems?