Nerdiest Macross Moment :P

Vepariga

I have so many nerdy Macross moments in my life, they've stopped being "moments" and just started being "Life"!

For a couple of years now, the ring tone on my mobile phone has been Ranka's "Nyan Nyan" song. I kind of look like a biker, and work around some fairly tough characters, so when my phone erupts with the girly tones of "Gorajesu, Delishasu, De-ka-ru-Chaaa" It takes a bit of explaining... But I refuse to change it in the hope that someday a fellow Macross fan will recognise it and say G'day. Now THAT'S Nerdy!

I was once loitering outside a live music venue in Melbourne, when I saw a lad walking toward me wearing a shirt with a bright orange print of a VF-1J Battroid on it. It wasn't official Macross merch, and I've never seen another shirt like it. I bailed him up for at least an hour, explaining how awesome his shirt was, that I have tattoos of similar robots, and that Macross was very important to me. This stranger wasn't a fan and couldn't even remember where he'd gotten the shirt in the first place, but my nerdy passion obviously moved him, as the following day, he returned to the venue with the shirt washed and folded in a neat package addressed to "The lighting guy with the robot tattoos". I still wear it to this day.

My life is one big nerdy Macross moment.

I have so many nerdy Macross moments in my life, they've stopped being "moments" and just started being "Life"!

For a couple of years now, the ring tone on my mobile phone has been Ranka's "Nyan Nyan" song. I kind of look like a biker, and work around some fairly tough characters, so when my phone erupts with the girly tones of "Gorajesu, Delishasu, De-ka-ru-Chaaa" It takes a bit of explaining... But I refuse to change it in the hope that someday a fellow Macross fan will recognise it and say G'day. Now THAT'S Nerdy!

I was once loitering outside a live music venue in Melbourne, when I saw a lad walking toward me wearing a shirt with a bright orange print of a VF-1J Battroid on it. It wasn't official Macross merch, and I've never seen another shirt like it. I bailed him up for at least an hour, explaining how awesome his shirt was, that I have tattoos of similar robots, and that Macross was very important to me. This stranger wasn't a fan and couldn't even remember where he'd gotten the shirt in the first place, but my nerdy passion obviously moved him, as the following day, he returned to the venue with the shirt washed and folded in a neat package addressed to "The lighting guy with the robot tattoos". I still wear it to this day.

That is awesome how that fella gave you his shirt. I was gonna put a macross song as my ring tone but its the perfect dark theme for now,my sms message tone tho is the rapid drum beats from the macross intro song.

Alrighty.... I am also glad I am not the only one playing Macross Music down the road... especially when playing tracks from Macross DYRL, Macross Zero and Frontier's Nyan Nyan Medly Service ^_^ ... even enjoyed playing the Animetal original TV opening for Macross.

I once met a visiting Aussie in an English pub in Maebashi, Gunma, many years ago. He had an invid tattoo on his chest. That wouldntve been you by any chance?

I have that ring tone too!

That's so cool about the stranger who gave you the shirt. He knew you'd enjoy it way more than he did.

At my wedding we had a table of 50 or so Toynami VF-1 Morphers in fighter mode. In the little fists sticking out the back we put signs telling people which table they were to sit at. The toys were a HUGE hit. Nobody knew what TV show they were from but everyone loved having a transformable jet to play with. There are lots of pictures with guests wooshing jets around. That there was my nerdiest Macross moment.

I have a close runner-up though, my brother had a cake professionally made featuring Alto and Sheryl since my now wife is constantly saying she wants to cosplay as Sheryl at Comic-con. Most people just assumed the cake was the wife-to-be and I and didn't understand why I had a pony tail :)

I once met a visiting Aussie in an English pub in Maebashi, Gunma, many years ago. He had an invid tattoo on his chest. That wouldntve been you by any chance?

Nope... Not me. All my tatts are pure Macross, no Inbit or SC. ...But thanks for asking.

There's some pics of mine in the "Macross plus/ace combat tattoo - this is going to hurt" thread on this site. I guess getting them qualifies as a "Nerdy Macross Moment" too!

• 2 weeks later...

I got drunk at a bar and had to go use the bathroom. And I hope some of you guys know what I mean when I say: when you're at that "peak" of max drunkeness without being sick, you just get in the mood to hear a particular song or something.

Anyway, I went to the bathroom, and it had a chalkboard. So I wrote what was on my mind...and then took a picture. This was from a trip, and my wife did her famous eye roll when she reviewed our vacation pictures.

img1614o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Heh, I'm not sure why I never looked in this thread before.

So many stupid Macross-related things I've done over the years... I think my wife is on board with "Roy" as our child's name if we have a boy...

I think most recently the most ridiculous thing was probably dragging Save and Alex around the suburbs of Tokyo in the sweltering summer heat to look for the offices of Studio Nue. It was quite an adventure, it even features a tiger-striped rhinoceros, among other random things. I was meaning to do a write-up at some point, but that fell on the backburner. I'll get round to it eventually. :)

Heh, I'm not sure why I never looked in this thread before.

So many stupid Macross-related things I've done over the years... I think my wife is on board with "Roy" as our child's name if we have a boy...

I think most recently the most ridiculous thing was probably dragging Save and Alex around the suburbs of Tokyo in the sweltering summer heat to look for the offices of Studio Nue. It was quite an adventure, it even features a tiger-striped rhinoceros, among other random things. I was meaning to do a write-up at some point, but that fell on the backburner. I'll get round to it eventually. :)

Well, *I* recently discovered I live in the same ward the Satelight office is located in... Are we up for an expedition?

Erm... I discourage doing anything that may be construed as "obsessive" fan activities. You know, not crossing the line between the boastable "I've seen the Satelight offices" to the deplorable "I've been slapped with a restraining order for stalking".

Erm... I discourage doing anything that may be construed as "obsessive" fan activities. You know, not crossing the line between the boastable "I've seen the Satelight offices" to the deplorable "I've been slapped with a restraining order for stalking".

Bah...I'm a very polite and presentable chap. True, I think I freaked out Tomo Sakurai, and I once almost knocked over Lisa Gerrard, but apart from that there have been no unpleasant incidents.

And, uh, don't listen to Sherilynn Fenn. If she says anything bad about me, she's lying.

At my wedding we had a table of 50 or so Toynami VF-1 Morphers in fighter mode. In the little fists sticking out the back we put signs telling people which table they were to sit at.

Please tell me you snapped a pic of that table before the guests got to it!

That was an awesome idea!!

Edited by Mog

I got drunk at a bar and had to go use the bathroom. And I hope some of you guys know what I mean when I say: when you're at that "peak" of max drunkeness without being sick, you just get in the mood to hear a particular song or something.

Anyway, I went to the bathroom, and it had a chalkboard. So I wrote what was on my mind...and then took a picture. This was from a trip, and my wife did her famous eye roll when she reviewed our vacation pictures.

img1614o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I didn't realize until after I made this post that I mispelled Fortress. Dammit.

Getting my first actual tranformering valkryie (though it was actually jetfire) at the age of 19. Then buying a PSP for the sole purpose of Macross Ace Frontier, and listneing to the Macross Frontier soundtrack constantly while driving around town and rocking both Sheryl and Ranka.

I'm sure the latter would be considered quite boastable on this thread.

Also I might remind you that the reason Kawamori got a job at Studio Nue in the first place is because he was an obsessive geek who was always going over there after school, disturbing Miyatake and gang while they were trying to work.

Not that I'm expecting to be the next in line for the throne of floating headyness, but it might be worthwhile to try and speak to some guys there at least about THE POSSIBILITY OF SOME SUBTITLES FOR BLURAYS SINCE SO MANY OF YOU PEOPLE WANT THEM. Although that would probably be Bandai Visual we would have to pester, I guess.

Also I might remind you that the reason Kawamori got a job at Studio Nue in the first place is because he was an obsessive geek who was always going over there after school, disturbing Miyatake and gang while they were trying to work.

Good point. And I'll raise with a: it was a different era, before such things as the Akihabara Massacre.

Good point. And I'll raise with a: it was a different era, before such things as the Akihabara Massacre.

Ah yes. It's this kind of thinking that has led to the scrapping of the tradition of closing the streets to traffic on weekends in Akihabara. Thanks for keeping our society safe, guys.

Yes, so in that case let us bring back the good ol' days of Tsutomu Miyazaki when the word "otaku" meant obsessive behaviour and mental instability on a clinical level, and instilled fear and paranoia within our peaceful Japanese lifestyle of overwork and stress during the bubble period. Beware the otaku monster, for he will defile your firstborn.

Heaven forbid it just mean "fan".

By the way, the guys at Big West a few months ago were extremely nice to us, and Mr. Ohnishi himself actually shook our hands (I remember he actually used both hands in a kind of clasping manner) saying "Thank you for liking Macross!" in English. We were taken aback, he was so exceptionally welcoming and grateful.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that as long as you have manners and fairly good people skills, I think very few people are going to suspect you're going to stab them with a surplus army knife or run them down with a truck.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that as long as you have manners and fairly good people skills, I think very few people are going to suspect you're going to stab them with a surplus army knife or run them down with a truck.

My point exactly!

:unsure: . . . smiley-stargate001.gif

Wait. Where are you going sketchley? SKETCHLEY!!!

My nerdiest moment has to be braving the crowds and 2 hour wait in line to get to the official launch of Macross Frontier at the Tokyo Anime Fair. What a hateful journey it was. While crowds are unavoidable in Tokyo in general, inside the convention center it was so crowded you WILL be jostled, bumped and pushed around, something very strange in a usually polite Japanese society. It's not unusual to be tugged in 5 different directions at the same time and not something you'd realise could happen until you actually experienced it. A friend of mine who was there with me the day before actually vowed to knock out the very next person to bump into him without offering an apology immediately after.

It was worth it though since I got to see the OP of the show for the first time with everyone else and was in attendance at May'N 's second live performance at the satelight booth. And then there was the unintended and impromptu staring contest with Kawamori(which I lost).

As fun as it was, I can tell you I'm not doing that again though. Which is why I sneered at my friend when he suggested Tokyo Game Show recently.

Edited by Strumvogel

Wait. Where are you going sketchley? SKETCHLEY!!!

Running away.

Funny, that's the one smiley that doesn't exist. No good copy of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" after they meet the monster in the cave. <sigh>

It's not unusual to be tugged in 5 different directions at the same time and not something you'd realise could happen until you actually experienced it.

Ah, yes. Bad crowd control. Been through that. Seoul, the big intersection over Kwanghwamoon station, 1999.12.31, about an hour before midnight. The street was still open to traffic, forcing the (tens of?) thousands of people to jostle along the sidewalks.

Nasty. It was 100% go-with-the-flow (even if you didn't want to), and even then, you were squished from 6 sides!

I was really happy when they closed the streets to traffic and the people could spread out on the streets.

And, uh, don't listen to Sherilynn Fenn. If she says anything bad about me, she's lying.

Wow. By coincidence I randomly started watching The Wraith and suddenly she turns up out of nowhere. Didn't know she was in that! Does she still look anywhere near as good now? :D

Oh man, is having a macross ringtone nerdy? Love it or hate it, I got my new phone right around the time that I found the Frontier OST, and though nyan nyan and ninjin loves you yeah were close runners up, I went with (one of the 90 versions of) Aimo. My GF liked it. I also had the OST permanently housed in our car.