Well the whole story was just.. anime confusing, and overly convoluted.

I had no idea what was going on with the wheelchair guy and his wife or whatever?

I kept thinking the new guy would replace captain Harlock but..

They also didn't really explain what the hell the key was really going to do.

It just seemed like they had a good plot, but had to stick the scenes they could animate and patch it together.

No real humor either, and no emotional connection or payoff.

The scenes with Kei and the kid was pretty good.

Edited by Gakken85

• 3 weeks later...

Saw it last night, quick opinion. It is not My Youth in Arcadia but it is not Harlock Saga either...

I gave it 3 stars on Netflix (a middle rating meaning liked for those who do not have Netflix). The computer animation was well done and the characters were not too over the top (it is Harlock, they have to be partially out there...). Mimay had a mouth, I'm still wondering why they felt that was needed. I'm wondering about Tochiro as well, was he only in MYIA? I get confused with the guy that looks just like him.

I'm wondering about Tochiro as well, was he only in MYIA? I get confused with the guy that looks just like him.

Also, there is a major plot point that you may have missed between the time when Harlock was captain of the Deathshadow and when he became captain of the Arcadia. To say any more would require a spoiler tag. ^_^

Also, there is a major plot point that you may have missed between the time when Harlock was captain of the Deathshadow and when he became captain of the Arcadia. To say any more would require a spoiler tag. ^_^

I'll have to watch it again (it is worth another viewing!). I remember what you are speaking of but the character didn't look anything like Tochiro. I get Yatteran and Tochiro mixed up all the time, though not exactly similar in appearance they are similar in ways that I don't catch at first - and they have much the same role in the show, first officerish...

Forgot to mention, I prefer the MYIA version of Arcadia but this one is still good.

Nice for a new remake of franchise, but...

I don't like much....

The "new" origin was great but I don't like the new design for Miime, and her relation with the ship..

They forgotten the Mechanic men and Emeraldas.

And have a kind a bit of "The Flying Dutchman" ^^

Edited by Old_Nash

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The film has all the melodrama of Harlock, as well as the often obscure twists and inexplicable character motivations typical of Harlock. Logic is less important than drama in Harlock's world. And there are so many alternative Harlock continutities...

I thought this was a beautiful addition to the 'collection'.

I thought it was a fair Harlock story held back by bad subtitles.

For example, both Tochiro and Yattaran had their names changed in the subtitle track for no reason. It's really peculiar. The Japanese track retains all the original names, so the subtitles end up being annoying instead of helpful cues. It's almost like Toei Animation had intended to create a separate English dub, but then changed its strategy without correcting the script.

I had no idea what was going on with the wheelchair guy and his wife or whatever?

Er... maybe you saw a bad translation? That was his sister, and without any more spoilers, she was an important part of the relationship between the two brothers.

For the record I quite enjoyed it. The scenes where the pirates boarded the other ship were awesome. The script prevented it from being 'fantastic' but the production design was visually stunning.

Er... maybe you saw a bad translation? That was his sister, and without any more spoilers, she was an important part of the relationship between the two brothers.

For the record I quite enjoyed it. The scenes where the pirates boarded the other ship were awesome. The script prevented it from being 'fantastic' but the production design was visually stunning.

BECAUSE THEY'RE TRUE PIRATES!!!!

Not a Kawaii-loli-girl or a elasticguy what call himself a pirate, but, don't to move like one...

i never watched harlock back in the day and saw that this popped up in the "whats new" portion on netflix and instawatched it that day. i have to say...i LOVE the character designs and the overall aesthetic of it. as a movie..it was ok, but yeah i really think they made harlock and kei look damn cool. voice acting seemed on point too. defintiely worth a watch if you're even mildly curious. is it great? no.

This movie is amazingly pretty, and enjoyable for the most part. Entertained me! ^_^

I saw it on Netflix myself (an excuse to actually use it, woop) but I found that the cut they used had dialogue and scenes removed! I found that this sub job was much better IMO (although image quality is rather poor). I wonder if the DVD releases thus far is what Netflix is using...if that's true then that's disappointing.

Edited by Mandy