Latest trailer:

Some new bits and pieces mixed in there. Last shot is awesome. First minute or so is some photos of director Shinji Aramaki behind the scenes :-)

1:01, James Cameron's impression...

Did he really say that?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first 12 mins now with english subtitles:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjqN-mOKi4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkYjqN-mOKi4

Really like this so far, but I know nothing of Harlock other than some of the vehicles, ie the Arcadia and Space Wolfs.

So, is there a recommended series, movie, or OVA to start with. Sometimes starting a new anime can be daunting especially one that has been around for so long. Plus sometimes older anime's animation can be a bit off putting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

The first 12 mins now with english subtitles:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjqN-mOKi4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkYjqN-mOKi4

Really like this so far, but I know nothing of Harlock other than some of the vehicles, ie the Arcadia and Space Wolfs.

So, is there a recommended series, movie, or OVA to start with. Sometimes starting a new anime can be daunting especially one that has been around for so long. Plus sometimes older anime's animation can be a bit off putting.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Crunchyroll has the original 42 episode Captain Harlock series available for streaming.

Arcadia of my Youth is the definitive Captain Harlock story. Nothing has come close to since it was released in the early 80s. Unfortunately i'm not sure you can get it anywhere anymore. All the 90s - 00s Harlock stuff has been disappointing.

Netflix had it available on DVD, at least it did. The problem is the quality of the video is poor at best, the final battle scene is nearly unwatchable due to how dark it is - the ships can rarely be seen it is so muddy.

• 4 weeks later...

Arcadia of my Youth is the definitive Captain Harlock story. Nothing has come close to since it was released in the early 80s. Unfortunately i'm not sure you can get it anywhere anymore. All the 90s - 00s Harlock stuff has been disappointing.

No subs, but I think it's about to be released on bluray.

Back from Venice!

Harlock comes back with a visually stunning movie, several scenes that gave me goosebumps and a story that serves the characters well even if it drags a bit in the first part.

There are many references and nods to previous series that make the movie a sort of treasure hunt for those familiar with Matsumoto and his universe (pity I couldn't see the Master himself). 3D is really good too.

Harlock on the big screen stays true to himself, and it's a pleasure to see an old friend soar the vastness of space once again in this new incarnation. Go see the movie when it comes out (and stay until the end of the credits - no "secret" scene, but there is something you'll probably like).

Edited by nexxstrait

Oh well. If there is one thing I can (unfortunately) count on from Gawker Media, it's a predictable bullet list of edgy criticism. I will still see this one for myself. Harlock is a personal favorite and I want to see where this movie takes the story. Harlock Saga got weird and there were Harlock moments in Cosmo Warrior Zero that were far out but fun. I'm not sure I buy into this negative review.

Against the review - spoilers below (highlight to read):

1) the cannon fires but in the movie it is clearly implied that the first shot misfired due to the long years the cannon has been sitting idle

2) the whole point of the movie is redemption and finding our own way even after terrible mistakes. Frankly, having heavily faulted characters just makes them much more real and Harlock was never about black and white. Plus, the "mythic" aura of Harlock is IN the movie as part of the story.

Despite all the explosions and action sequences, this is not just another "american-style" blockbuster movie, so beware.

Edited by nexxstrait

Though they really like Macross, and regularly refer to it using proper terminology without Roboteching it.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Keith review before I spend a dime to see this thing.

Edited by Duke Togo

Harlock is an uneven franchise, "My Youth in Arcadia" being some of the best animation I've ever seen, but the thing based on an Opera was downright dreadful, and Harlock Saga wasn't that great either. I still have hope for this one.

Harlock Saga IS the one based on the opera. Wagner's Ring Cycle to be exact. Look up the plot for Der Ring des Nibelungen on Wikipedia and Harlock Saga actually maks sense. Besides the show I think you're thinking of is Herlock: Outside Legend Endless Odyssey.

Harlock Saga IS the one based on the opera. Wagner's Ring Cycle to be exact. Look up the plot for Der Ring des Nibelungen on Wikipedia and Harlock Saga actually maks sense. Besides the show I think you're thinking of is Herlock: Outside Legend Endless Odyssey.

The Ring Cycle makes sense as an opera with fantasy overtones - as a Harlock series it was just bad. If the other Harlock show is the one with the space zombie/life sucking thingies then that is the one I was thinking of.