World Cup 2010

Renato

Four years ago I started a thread for the German World Cup and it proved quite popular despite it being neither anime nor sci-fi. So here is the sequel. I am aware the mods might want to take it down, so let's try to keep cyber-hooliganism, insults and overt nationalism get the better of us.

Last night I watched the Japan-Paraguay match.

Man, Japan really, really kept a tight defense, all the way through. Extremely impressive. And with so many missed opportunities to score, I had confidence that, at that rate, the planets would eventually align and they would get one in. However, I was gutted that not even at the end of full time but rather both rounds of extra time, that is, two hours later, they were still at a stalemate. The one situation I didn't want to realized was the one option left to decide who goes through and who goes home: the penalty kicks. Alas, it only took one miscalculation for Japan to witness their hopes and dreams pulverize before them.

Despite most statistics showing both teams evenly matched to a stunning degree, the problem seemed to me to have been the issue of ball possession, which was considerably higher with Paraguay. Japan's long passes rarely made their target, and yet ex-player Nakata commented that they weren't giving it their 100%. Invariably, more ball possession means more leeway to set up strikes for the goal, and Japan just kept either giving the ball away during passes or having it taken from them through tackles. There were points where they even lost the ball in mid-dribble without there being any opponent around.

It's a real shame, it would have been nice to see Japan go further, but I agree with Nakata, they could have done better, even if their defence was impeccable. The previous games showed Japan's team having excellent balance and teamwork with both attacks and defence. That balance seemed somewhat askew last night. This was one match that really should not have gone into extra time. Honda and gang should have done the job right there and then.

Heh... and what about that England v. Germany match? :p

Hi,

I just love the world cup ! (ironinc tone...)

Just yesterday, as one of my Portugese neighbor in France wen't wild driving like crazy (at least 70 km/h in a 30 km/h residential area) and using his horn, I went to his hours trying to tell his wife to leash her dog.

In her unwillingness to respond to the doorbell, I went nuts myself and removed the Portugese end Brazilian Flag the neighbour had set up hanging from his roof and put them in his mailbox.

I know that it wasn't really smart to do.

As an end result, the neighbour came back after the Portugese defeat, and went totally nuts, insulting me around the whole block and speaking out death threats, insulting me for being a racist and that I will pay for this. Other neighbors had to call the police to make them calm him down and the unleashed dog just stayed up guarding his porch for 3 hours until late at night, speaking (or hopefully being reasoned) with another neighbour.

...Morality: I just love sportive bahavior of people.

Finally, I recall two sentences about soccer:

The first one from a cab Driver in Marseille: "Concerning soccer, we'd have to buy 21 balls in order for the players not to have all to run behind the same ball."

The second one: "Soccer is the only sport for which poor people pay to watch billionnaires run!"

I can't help myself from thinking that both phrases somehow contain awfully true images.

As an end result, I'm considering on hanging a flag myself to my roof ; I'm not sure anyone will really catch the humor of hanging a EU-Flag ! (Sorry about the non EU contries :), but I do not know about a world Flag ; well actually, isn't there a U.N Flag ?)

Edited by falcon14141

Pretty much caught all games so far. Really enjoying the tournament, though the heavy defensive styles did not provide to many beautiful games. The country pretty much comes to a standstill when the national team plays. The upcoming match against Brazil has been dominating the media the last few days.

So random comments: Plenty of drama, Italy and France imploding. The refs failing at critical points.

The English disappoint again. The billionaire toy Premier League really seems to hurt their development of new talent. Germany on the other hand was impressive with their young squad.

Spain has been really awesome after their initial misstep, though they seem to have a strange problem with converting the many chances they create.

Brazil and the Netherlands have given up on their traditional beautiful playing styles. Everything for the win now.

Argentina and Maradona are a breath of fresh air and slightly mental but very entertaining. Expecting a lot from them.

Argentina vs Germany and Brazil vs Holland are pretty much finals on their own. Going to be spectacular to see these heavy weights to go at it in the next few days.

I feel bad for the North Korean team - given the secrecy of the state I hope there are no "reprimands" for the returning players. They were in the nasty group of death after all. Before you think that this is crazy, consider the case of Iraq's football team during Hussein's reign.

Half way around the globe though, I'm sure the French government is sharpening up its guillotines for its own national team :p .

lol @ above comment.

I grew up abroad where people watched the NFL when it was in-season, the various Euro leagues, and the world cup. Never heard anyone criticize the other sport, as they probably had sufficient fundamental common sense to discern that they're apples and oranges. Yet when I moved back to the states, the "sissy" comment is the first one I hear regarding soccer (almost without provocation).

If anything running for 90+ minutes (for an average of about 10 miles per game) sounds like a pretty rough sport to me.

Edited by Ghost Train

I'm down to one team left to really support and that's Germany really.

The US, Portugal and Japan are gone now. :( I was disappointed with Bob Bradly's decision to put in D-men like Findley in and not play the same roster we used against Algeria. Some of those defensive lapses with the US may have been avoided but what's done is done.

Edited by Shadow

In your country gender roles are reversed? :huh:

No I mean it is a feminine sport. Designed for the weaker sex. (or weaker people)

Not only are the players the physiological equivalent of girls (weak, no muscle), but they bitch and cry like little girls too. The theatrics kill me. They get a little scratch and then roll around on the ground like little girls and scream.

If someone had done that when I was playing Division 1 rugby, his own team mates would have kicked his ass.

Germans have a Psychic octopus tipping their games aswell.

Haha, yeah. And I think that the octopus is predicting Germany will win the next one against Brazil, too, right?

Can I be a little controversial here and say that I feel like England got what they deserved when that second goal against Germany wasn't counted, because I looked at the old footage from 1966 and it seems like the goal that won them the tournament against the Germans wasn't a goal at all! I had never seen that properly, but now that I have, I'm sorry, there was no way that thing went over the line.

2010 marked the end of a karmic circle which can hopefully now mean the real beginning of English football. :lol: Not that I care much for the premier league or anything. :p

Edited by Renato

No I mean it is a feminine sport. Designed for the weaker sex. (or weaker people)

Not only are the players the physiological equivalent of girls (weak, no muscle), but they bitch and cry like little girls too. The theatrics kill me. They get a little scratch and then roll around on the ground like little girls and scream.

If someone had done that when I was playing Division 1 rugby, his own team mates would have kicked his ass.

I agree with the theatrics, but it's a weak sport because its players don't look like they're pumped full of roids?

I agree with the theatrics, but it's a weak sport because its players don't look like they're pumped full of roids?

HAHA. No, they just look like cardio queens. I just have no interest in athletes that have no strength.

MMA Fighters don't have cartoon muscle, but they have plenty of strength.

Since you made the roids comment, no. Steroid users, like bodybuilders, are not athletes. There is a reason that people in NO other sport look like that. Its useless mass that doesn't even manifest itself in strength at all.

First of all... f**k Yeah!! The King is dead, '94 settled, semis inc.

Nonsense, several positions require a lot of physical power. The top play makers (the nr. 10s) are pretty much all short and stocky (like weightlifters) with a low center of gravity so they can't be pushed of the ball. Forwards and wingers generally have sprinter type builds, CBs need to be taller and more powerful then strikers, but can't afford to lose speed, requiring a triathlon like athletic balance. However what sets football apart from the world of athletics is the far larger requirement in terms of game skills, control and spacial awareness. Most of the latter is acquired through competitive play. Super athletes, even those with a natural talent for the game, that do not posses those game skills are useless. Nor can these skills be easily acquired in a short amount of time. It's the main reason why football hasn't become a joke like the Olympics where a sports resources, funding and organization have a large impact on the amount of success.

As for "theatrics", unlike Rugby, football is not a contact sport so fouls affect game play a lot more. Faking fouls offers distinct tactical advantages. The theatrics are there to make it hard for a referee to distinguish between a real foul and a fake (a dive). If Rugby fouls offered similar rewards towards winning the players would be dropping like flies as well. Any top level team is able to play the referee, it's just an essential game skill, only frowned upon by the weak or the naive.

Edited by Bri

HAHA. No, they just look like cardio queens. I just have no interest in athletes that have no strength.

Since you made the roids comment, no. Steroid users, like bodybuilders, are not athletes. There is a reason that people in NO other sport look like that. Its useless mass that doesn't even manifest itself in strength at all.

It sounds like this is your own personal bias, which is cool, as everyone is entitled to one. It's just that it's a ridiculous view for anyone else to accept.

Per your original comment, then a whole group of athletes falling into the "thin but strong" (pardon my limited Kinesiology vocabulary) category would be considered a bunch of weaklings. To name a few - Lance Armstrong, Michael Phelps, Bruce Lee, and a big chunk of military/police special forces & special response teams.

Oh, these people are "muscular", have insane cardio endurance, and are strong - just not in the Conan-the-barbarian style you have in mind.

Different sport, different training, different body type. Different sports fans like to vegetate upon different sports.

... and back on topic, major upset today :blink: , from a deficit too.

Maradona's Argentina squad was utterly destroyed by Germany 4-0!! I couldn't watch the game but I saw the highlights this morning. Those Germans have got such fine moves. So much so that one of the newscasters likened one of the run-ups to the goal as a waltz, and started humming as they scored! So, we're almost on to the climax!

Looks like the octopus really knows what he's talking about. Or rather, "choosing" about. Or something.

I'm going to call it, it's going to be Brazil v Argentina and the latter will win. :)

Double mistake. Some people cried here, i didn't care that much.

In my country, soccer is for girls.

In my contry, people stops to work, stores as closed when Brasil is playing a match at the world cup. (only at world cup)

Edited by akt_m

In my country, soccer is for girls.

I disagree, it takes more physicality then you seem to be giving it credit for. It's just a different type of physical conditioning, more cardio then sheer muscle building.

Sadly, I missed the Uruguay/Ghana game. Seemed like an epic game from what I read. I'm hoping for a Netherlands/Germany final though.

I would like Holland to win, have always been a fan, but Germany has a better team all around.

Vinny Jones is no Girly man :lol:

post-723-127843081038_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ladic

After Brazil's shocking loss to the Netherlands, I'd be interested to see the reports on the reactions from their home country. The coach will likely have to go into protective custody.

Those folks take their "football" perhaps a bit too seriously.

But my God, Brazilian women are beautiful though...

After Brazil's shocking loss to the Netherlands, I'd be interested to see the reports on the reactions from their home country. The coach will likely have to go into protective custody.

you know it

brazilian-soccer-fan.jpg

OMG, the finals, they actually did it. 'Oranje' is in a world cup final after 32 years.

Total madness here, celebrations everywhere, the commentators were crying on TV. It's going to be a long night :D

Spain or Germany. Spain has the better team but Germany has been on fire. I'm guessing Germany, history has a twisted sense of humor so it will be '74 all over again. Hopefully with a different result this time.

I read that Brazilians put the blame on midfielder Felipe Melo for the defeat (made a mistake leading to the first goal and got a stupid red card). If someone need protective custody in the team it's him. Oh and a Brazilian supporter killed himself because of the defeat. Since football/soccer is a religion in Brazil, I guess it's a tradition.