Frontier DVD

dreadpyrat

Hey all, found some Malaysian version of Macross Frontier on DVD. They all say they are not bootlegs and are certified by the government. All come with English subs and are Region 0.

Does anyone have any experience with this version? How is the quality of the pic and audio?

They all say they are not bootlegs and are certified by the government. All come with English subs and are Region 0.

They're bootlegs. There are no English subbed official DVDs that are Region 0.

All that amount of pirated stuffs .... well, my Mac F DVDs are of Malaysian origins. Which mostly are copies from their counterparts in HK & Taiwan. Nowadays, the Hong Kong pirates just leeched the fan-sub Mac F torrents, re-packaged 'em as DVDs & exported 'em to Malaysia, Singapore & Philippines via legit means where the anime-goers relied on English-subs animes.

Can't blamed 'em though .... demands had been skyrocketing thanks to Mac F. To wait for official Mac F DVD release with English subs certainly a pain in the neck. BW couldn't give rat's ass to cater to foreign market demands ... apart from toys, that is.

All that amount of pirated stuffs .... well, my Mac F DVDs are of Malaysian origins. Which mostly are copies from their counterparts in HK & Taiwan. Nowadays, the Hong Kong pirates just leeched the fan-sub Mac F torrents, re-packaged 'em as DVDs & exported 'em to Malaysia, Singapore & Philippines via legit means where the anime-goers relied on English-subs animes.

Can't blamed 'em though .... demands had been skyrocketing thanks to Mac F. To wait for official Mac F DVD release with English subs certainly a pain in the neck. BW couldn't give rat's ass to cater to foreign market demands ... apart from toys, that is.

This goes back to the old argument of wether or not Bandai should just add english subs to the DVD and Blu-Ray discs, even if the DVDs are region2. So many want and are willing to pay for the R2 DVDs if it means paying more, just to get official stuff. I always thought that would be a great work around for not being able to get the DVDs and Blu-Rays in the U.S. Since BR is non coded anyways, that'd be the easiest way to go. Alas, we're still at the same issue, having to make DVDs from bittorrents.

Speaking of all this DVD stuff, I can make the DVDs for anyone that wants. I'll burn em', pack em' and ship em' for a decent price. If interested, semd me a pm.

Edited by Jasonc

I have the first version of the four dvd covers that were put up in baronv's reply. Mine even came with the soundtrack too so i can't complain too much if the quality isn't the best :rolleyes:

Blue, how bad is the quality overall? Say on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being blu-ray HD quality?

yeah i got the same one as Bluemaxx with the soundtrack lol, it was the 'best' one to pick from the bunch, as for quality well,if 10 is blue-ray,ill say...hmmm....7.5 maybe scrape a 8,its good but not crisp.

why doesnt japan just put English subs on their blu-rays..imagine the sales.

yeah i got the same one as Bluemaxx with the soundtrack lol, it was the 'best' one to pick from the bunch, as for quality well,if 10 is blue-ray,ill say...hmmm....7.5 maybe scrape a 8,its good but not crisp.

why doesnt japan just put English subs on their blu-rays..imagine the sales.

Because aside from the translation costs, they seem to think it hurts the potential to license even the most unlicensable shows. Though honestly, I think it's more of an issue of justifying the translation costs to a market that technically doesn't even count as their own. Besides, I think they know that regardless, even if other countries bootleg, they'll still make money off of the inevitable legit merch that is purchased as a result.

Whatever happened to just doing the right thing for the fans, despite having to put a few bucks (or in this case, Yen) out of pocket to help spread their work around the world?

We're not the fans they're doing the right thing for, we're still not even technically seen as a market. Though if anyone, you'd think Bandai Visual would have figured it out by now, since they've been the biggest tip-toer in by lagnual bluray releases. I'm hoping Gundam Unicorn will finally turn their heads, but we'll see.

I guess it's tough to track the sales from behind those desks they sit behind while looking at pure numbers from a computer screen. I have to believe that they are in touch with the actual ebbs and flows of the market and they see all of the toys and stuff that makes its way to the US. Perhaps we all live in our own little bubble and we see ourselves as the only consumers in the US... lol. If that was true, they'd have 100% market share!

I was just saying that because I am sure that they know of the following that Macross has here in the US, despite not being able to market one single iota of Macross-related products, outside of Plus and II. I wonder if soft sales of those two movies are why they don't want to expand? Did they not sell well at all?

Macross releases in the US have a long and arduous legal battle preventing them. Even without it, the licenses are prohibitively expensive, and the anime bubble has burst to the point were a niche mecha title, no matter the size of Frontier, just probably wouldn't recoup investment. Even internet hits like Haruhi and Lucky Star did poorly in DVD sales. About the only way it would happen is if we the fan fit the bill. :lol:

"Besides, I think they know that regardless, even if other countries bootleg, they'll still make money off of the inevitable legit merch that is purchased as a result. "

you know, I've always wondered how the anishops that show up at cons feel about fansubs. They must love them since they technically drive sales. After all, I would've never spent hundreds on Frontier stuff without having seen Frontier. B))