What are the best 1/48 Valks?

nemesis_hub

I started my collection of Macross mecha only recently, and so far I've got a few of the 1/60 V2 Valks. I mostly ignored the 1/48 line since it seems older, and I was afraid the engineering would be less good, but I've seen comments on the board that have made me think otherwise. So what are your favourite 1/48 scales Valks? Which ones have known problems, etc. What would you recommend I start off my 1/48 collection with?

Bottomline start with your fav then move to your least fav.

The 1/48's were and still are pretty sturdy.

Its just a preference of which toy color and construction you like best.

If you like it to be larger than life you'll probably buy a lot.

But make sure you've got space to store/display them.

We can't really tell you exactly which one to get first its all up to you and your taste.

The nose cone and wing flaps on the first issue VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Hikaru have a tendency to fall off. these were fixed on every release after the VF-1A Max including every Hikaru and Roy reissue.

Also some of the last releases have some fitment issues (the late releases exhibit noticeable amount of degradation to the molds used to make them. the landing gear doors on my stealth -1J tend to flop open, as does the hatch for the nose cone and the air brake. also the wing flaps fall off and the nose cone doesn't fit right unless you get the radar angled just perfectly.)

Anything in the middle will be fine.

They're all the exact same toy, it just comes to your color preference, I started with a VF-1J max with super parts from angolz.com, only about 150 after shipping.

no they're not.

the original hikaru 1a had one wing flap that liked to fall off and the nose cone didn't have rails to help hold it in place. These issues were addressed with 1a max and on.

Later releases like the max and milia 1j super set had noticeable fit and seam issues due to the mold degradation.

Since the only 1/48 I have is a Super Hikaru 1J, I can't compare releases, but I can vouch for it being very sturdy. You might have a very hard time finding the version with fast packs now though, I don't think it was ever reissued.

The only issue I've ever had is that the fit between the intakes and cockpit section is a little off, so it either sits with the intakes dropped a bit from the upper plate, or the nose section gets angled down a little.

Now, comparing to newer releases, I would say the new V.2 1/60s are definitely more refined in terms of engineering than the 1/48, with a much higher level of precision. Comparitively, the 1/48 looks much more rough in terms of molding. But with that roughness also comes a lot of strength*, and you won't find any shoulder hinges shattering on a 1/48. smile.gif

*On a completely different note.. stupid language question.. I found myself wanting to say the 1/48 has a lot of.... well, it's sturdy. In the same way calling something "crappy" implies it is made of, resembles, or contains crap, does calling something "sturdy" mean it's made of "sturd?" blink.gifwacko.gif

Edited by Chronocidal

You can't go wrong with Roy's VF-1S. The TV hands are made of PVC and come only with the VF-1J Max/Hikaru/Milia. I don't like the TV hands on the 1/48's due to the pegs feeling too soft and somewhat fragile. No breakage on my VF-1J Hikky but for example, the TV hands on the V2 1/60 VF-1J are much more durable/firm in comparison.

Transformation is more user friendly on the 1/48 but overall solidity, range of motion, and articulation is better on the V2 1/60. Also, while the joints on the V2 1/60 do not feel prone to looseness in the future, on the 1/48, the ball joints can loosen over time, especially the shoulders. This happened to my 1/48 VF-1S. Also, if the rubber in the hip joints starts to wear down, looseness can occur. My Hikky 1J had a loose hip right out of the box due to the rubber cup being too big or malformed.

The 1/48 is a solid toy and very easy to transform. It is far more durable than anyone gave it credit for years back. Just make sure not to push the BP8 backpack hinge piece too far up, DO NOT push it past the stopper as it will crack off. If you have ever played with Transformers Alternators, it's way more durable and easier to transform than those.

Definitely the LV1 and the Stealth set man!

Yeah, The 1/48 Super Stealth and Low Visibility are the best. I sold all my 1/48 line except those two.

Forgot to add that they have become very expensive. Rare to find these days.

Edited by takatoys

no they're not.

the original hikaru 1a had one wing flap that liked to fall off and the nose cone didn't have rails to help hold it in place. These issues were addressed with 1a max and on.

Later releases like the max and milia 1j super set had noticeable fit and seam issues due to the mold degradation.

They all still transform the same, look the same, same proportions and size, those are all just tiny little fixes, they didn't change the figures overall.

They all still transform the same, look the same, same proportions and size, those are all just tiny little fixes, they didn't change the figures overall.

Re-read the original post:

I started my collection of Macross mecha only recently, and so far I've got a few of the 1/60 V2 Valks. I mostly ignored the 1/48 line since it seems older, and I was afraid the engineering would be less good, but I've seen comments on the board that have made me think otherwise. So what are your favourite 1/48 scales Valks? Which ones have known problems, etc. What would you recommend I start off my 1/48 collection with?

The poster wants to know which releases had issues and which had fixes. Telling him they're all exactly the same as you did, is misleading.

There's a big quality gap between the first few releases in terms of fit and seam quality and the last few releases.

Edited by eugimon

I think for the most part all 1/48s had their fair share of issues.

I own quite a few 1/48s (approx 80?), but the one that really felt solid overall when compared all others, was the DYRL Kakyzaki.

This seemed to be the best release with no issues on all three that I currently have.

Good points on both sides.

But since you're buying now and not way back when, look for newer re-release toys.

Be very sure of what you're paying for and good luck. B))

Awesome, thanks for all the responses guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It's much easier to find info about the v.2 1/60 line, due to it being newer I guess. Too bad I most likely missed out on the Stealth or Low Viz sets (or wouldn't be able to afford them even if I found them!).

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with some members on the 1/48 Stealth and Low Vis 1.0, costly but worth the money!

But if you're feeling a bit choosy, then go for the 1/48 VF-1S Roy Focker, which incidentally is gonna be reissued( re-released? ). I mean, it's Roy Focker man! :D

*Warning! Fanboy detected

Edited by boyarque

Awesome, thanks for all the responses guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It's much easier to find info about the v.2 1/60 line, due to it being newer I guess. Too bad I most likely missed out on the Stealth or Low Viz sets (or wouldn't be able to afford them even if I found them!).

check the for sale section. i have a stealth set for sale, thought you might be interested

I've had 2 1/48 fall down in unexpected ridiculous accidents. The 1A(canon fodder) head canon broke, and that was it. Other than that it is my fav playing valk(battle hardened, lol) The first ever 1/48 release Hikkie 1A remains intact after the accident. I love all of my 1/48s. I cant remember how many I have, but I know I at least 25 of them. Yes sir, Yamato owned my paycheck back then...

I have approximately 60 valks in all scales (1/ 48,55,60,65,72,100)

IMHO, you cant go wrong with the 1/48line

Edited by vlenhoff