Yamato 1/60 VF-22S Thread

VF5SS

There are small slits in between a couple of the plates under the fighter that I thought were just the right size for the attachment piece of the collapsed gunpod to slot into. It works to an extent.

That said, they are not in there firmly at all. They fall off if you shake it too much. You can see that on one side the gun is nearly falling off already because of the angle of the valk.

I have a (maybe stupid) question. For those who have the FP set with the 21 and a 22, can the FPs fit onto the 22 in any way? At least the arm pieces? I ask because I think I will buy the Fold Booster set as soon as it's rereleased (which should be soon), except I am not sure if I will have any use for those pieces. I know it's not canon or anything, but that doesn't bother me.

The parts that go on the arms will definitely fit, being essentially the same arms with different colors. As for the parts that go on the belly plates, I doubt it since the shape of the YF-21's and VF-22S's fuselage differ substantially. Haven't used the FAST packs on my YF-21 personally, so I can't say for sure.

I don't know if it's just a case-by-case thing, but the CDX review by JoshB states that while the arms parts on the YF-21's FAST packs are easy to apply and feel very sturdy, they can be a real bitch to remove. He supposedly broke off the rear stabilizer wing on his YF-21 trying to get the arm part off.

If you'd like to know more, here's the link.

The parts that go on the arms will definitely fit, being essentially the same arms with different colors. As for the parts that go on the belly plates, I doubt it since the shape of the YF-21's and VF-22S's fuselage differ substantially. Haven't used the FAST packs on my YF-21 personally, so I can't say for sure.

I don't know if it's just a case-by-case thing, but the CDX review by JoshB states that while the arms parts on the YF-21's FAST packs are easy to apply and feel very sturdy, they can be a real bitch to remove. He supposedly broke off the rear stabilizer wing on his YF-21 trying to get the arm part off.

If you'd like to know more, here's the link.

Thanks, I'll bear all that in mind!

I read the CDX review. It seems the rectangular holder piece for the fin popped off, rather than a breakage.

It also amused me to see a comparison with the old Yamato 1/72 YF-21. Heh, that old thing looks horrible now, but it was my first Yamato! :lol:

I've actually found the following "rotating" method to be the easiest way to remove the FP arm armor:

post-3595-127815677675_thumb.jpg

One thing though: make sure the anterior part of the FP isn't locked into the wing root like in the picture above. You'll want to tilt the tailfins into their High-Speed Mode angle before you attach or detach the arm FP's.

Thanks, I'll bear all that in mind!

I read the CDX review. It seems the rectangular holder piece for the fin popped off, rather than a breakage.

It also amused me to see a comparison with the old Yamato 1/72 YF-21. Heh, that old thing looks horrible now, but it was my first Yamato! :lol:

Glad I could help. :)

Speaking of the 1/72 YF-21, I used to dream of owning one after seeing it on the Net way back when. Watching MacPlus made a Macross fan of me, but the price of the 1/72 MacPlus VF's were way over my ability to buy them back then. While it does fall short of perfect by today's standards, it was cutting edge back then, considered by many to be next to impossible to build.

Comparing the pics of the old 1/72 and the 1/60 YF-21 sitting on my shelf right now, it does make you marvel at just how far toy designing has come over the years. Damn, I feel old! :lol:

I've actually found the following "rotating" method to be the easiest way to remove the FP arm armor:

post-3595-127815677675_thumb.jpg

One thing though: make sure the anterior part of the FP isn't locked into the wing root like in the picture above. You'll want to tilt the tailfins into their High-Speed Mode angle before you attach or detach the arm FP's.

Thanks, man!

I've been hesitant to put the armor on my YF-21 after reading the CDX review back then, but now, I guess I can try it one of these days.

Edited by GU-11

Despite the fact that I still believe the colour and some details are more accurate to the anime than on the 1/60, to be honest, I was always a little annoyed with the original 1/72 YF-21 because those shoulder sliders were under so much stress that they both just snapped eventually. After getting replacements from Yamato, they promptly broke, too. :(

The slender die-cast legs were really nice, though, so much so that one of the female Japanese exchange students at my uni was really impressed!

Edited by Renato

Despite the fact that I still believe the colour and some details are more accurate to the anime than on the 1/60, to be honest, I was always a little annoyed with the original 1/72 YF-21 because those shoulder sliders were under so much stress that they both just snapped eventually. After getting replacements from Yamato, they promptly broke, too. :(

The slender die-cast legs were really nice, though, so much so that one of the female Japanese exchange students at my uni was really impressed!

Was the shoulder slider problem unique to the first release 1/72 YF-21 and later fixed in the FP version? I have a couple of the purple FP version and I've never noticed much stress on the shoulder sliders in fighter mode for either of them.

I just took out one of my 1/72 YF-21s and for the first time, pulled out the landing gears. I found it somewhat funny that when I set it down, the rear landing gears collapsed back in. I'd have to roll if forward as I gently set it down to keep it from folding in. Maybe the collapsing rear landing gears on the 1/60 version is an easter egg reference to the 1/72 :lol:

I'm so glad I got Max's VF-22S. While design wise, I prefer the YF-21 with its armored canopy and faceplate, the color scheme of Max's bird is just beautiful and has become my favorite. It's a lot easier to weather than Gamlin's also.

post-10222-127818653911_thumb.jpgpost-10222-127818655185_thumb.jpgpost-10222-127818654576_thumb.jpg

post-10222-127818653421_thumb.jpg

P.S. Yes, I do know that I still have masking tape on the sensor lenses. I'm waiting for the clear coat to dry before I spray another layer.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Wow, didn't know exploding shoulders were an issue even in those days.

I do agree that the color on the 1/60 YF-21's are too light compared to its anime incarnation. That said, the slightly lighter blue ironically lends a more anime feel to the toy than the original colors, for better or worse.

It's not my place to give an opinion about the 1/72's legs, as I've been spoiled rotten by the latest generation of the YF-21 and its Sturmvogel offspring. I will say this, though; in my personal opinion, the 1/72 YF-21 has a very pleasing GERWALK mode, easily on par with the 1/60.

Yamato%20YF-21%201.jpg

P3051879.jpg

I'm so kicking myself for not buying one of the Max variants. That's a pretty colored bird.

They're still on sale at HLJ if you're still interested.

It's not my place to give an opinion about the 1/72's legs, as I've been spoiled rotten by the latest generation of the YF-21 and its Sturmvogel offspring. I will say this, though; in my personal opinion, the 1/72 YF-21 has a very pleasing GERWALK mode, easily on par with the 1/60.

Well, mine could never stand balanced properly in that mode. :p

Those who would like a canopy cover/ heatshield, check out this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33120&pid=859967&st=0entry859967

Edited by Renato

Well, mine could never stand balanced properly in that mode. :p

Those who would like a canopy cover/ heatshield, check out this thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33120&pid=859967&st=0entry859967

Heheh, yeah, I noticed that the feet don't really plant themselves firmly on the ground. Being mostly die-cast metal, I guess there might be some balance issues with it--some of the reviews I read said so, at least.

Edited by GU-11

Oh, I agree the narrower cockpit looks better. :) Mostly I was referring to the way the modelers just slapped a new canopy/cockpit on and tweaked the nose to match it.

And yes, back to the VF-22s.

One thing I kind of wish about them was that the stand mounts were a little more rigid. I got two SV-51s partly so I could have my M&Ms on stands next to my YF-21, but the 51s just look so much better on the stands, and feel much more tightly attached.

I'm afraid to pose my VF-22s in too many angled poses because the stand mounts just feel like the planes are rather precariously perched on them, like they're not close enough to the plane's center of gravity, and the planes tend to wobble around a lot. In comparison, the SV-51s always feel rock solid on those stands.

Edited by Chronocidal

I'm so glad I got Max's VF-22S. While design wise, I prefer the YF-21 with its armored canopy and faceplate, the color scheme of Max's bird is just beautiful and has become my favorite. It's a lot easier to weather than Gamlin's also.

post-10222-127818653911_thumb.jpgpost-10222-127818655185_thumb.jpgpost-10222-127818654576_thumb.jpg

post-10222-127818653421_thumb.jpg

P.S. Yes, I do know that I still have masking tape on the sensor lenses. I'm waiting for the clear coat to dry before I spray another layer.

Umm...I don't suppose I could send you one + a reasonable fee to weather it by any chance? :p

-Kyp

Hi All,

I recently broke down and picked up the Gamlin vf-22. Overall I'm impressed with it, however I'm having an issue when transforming from battroid mode back to gerwalk/fighter. When I try to slide the cockpit back into place, it doesn't want to drop down the last few millimeters after sliding it back up away from the nose. This is keeping the whole nose/cockpit assembly from connecting together.

I've watched this video about 50 times, and it looks like it just slides right into place without any issue (The part I'm having issue with is basically the 24sec-27sec area):

I fought with it for the better part of 30 minutes the other day, then all of a sudden it just went into place as if I had something misaligned. Against my better judgment, I transformed it back to battroid yesterday, and I'm now trying to get in back into fighter mode and have hit the same issue. The cockpit will slide up and down along the nosecone (the hinge feels pretty tight but moves with just a little extra pressure), but after sliding it back up away from the nose, it refuses to make the final drop down to lock into place.

Is there anything special about positioning of the back section which contains the face? Does the face itself have to be positioned a certain way to prevent any obstruction? Thanks!

Umm...I don't suppose I could send you one + a reasonable fee to weather it by any chance? :p

-Kyp

Heh, I would but I'm no pro at this. I'd be much too afraid of messing up on someone else's VF whereas if I screw up on mine, I can only get angry at myself.

Hi All,

I recently broke down and picked up the Gamlin vf-22. Overall I'm impressed with it, however I'm having an issue when transforming from battroid mode back to gerwalk/fighter. When I try to slide the cockpit back into place, it doesn't want to drop down the last few millimeters after sliding it back up away from the nose. This is keeping the whole nose/cockpit assembly from connecting together.

I've watched this video about 50 times, and it looks like it just slides right into place without any issue (The part I'm having issue with is basically the 24sec-27sec area):

I fought with it for the better part of 30 minutes the other day, then all of a sudden it just went into place as if I had something misaligned. Against my better judgment, I transformed it back to battroid yesterday, and I'm now trying to get in back into fighter mode and have hit the same issue. The cockpit will slide up and down along the nosecone (the hinge feels pretty tight but moves with just a little extra pressure), but after sliding it back up away from the nose, it refuses to make the final drop down to lock into place.

Is there anything special about positioning of the back section which contains the face? Does the face itself have to be positioned a certain way to prevent any obstruction? Thanks!

I'm not really sure what the issue might be. I've really had no problems on the YF-21 and Gamlin's and Max's VF-22s with the sliding cockpit. I think the head does have to be flipped back up if you're taking it back to gerwalk or fighter. Also try to start straightening out the joint that folds the cockpit away from the hood/cowl. Perhaps the pilot seat is tight which could prevent you from pushing the cockpit back into place. Normally the seat get pushed back into upright position when you slide the cockpit back. If the seat is tight, it might actually be acting as an obstruction so try to manually move the seat back upright and then slide the cockpit back.

Can't really think of anything else that would help at the moment.

I'm not really sure what the issue might be. I've really had no problems on the YF-21 and Gamlin's and Max's VF-22s with the sliding cockpit. I think the head does have to be flipped back up if you're taking it back to gerwalk or fighter. Also try to start straightening out the joint that folds the cockpit away from the hood/cowl. Perhaps the pilot seat is tight which could prevent you from pushing the cockpit back into place. Normally the seat get pushed back into upright position when you slide the cockpit back. If the seat is tight, it might actually be acting as an obstruction so try to manually move the seat back upright and then slide the cockpit back.

Can't really think of anything else that would help at the moment.

Ah ha! It turns out it was something about the head that wasn't going into place properly. On a whim, I pulled the face out, and everything closed up without issue. I opened it back up, shoved the face back in, and it closed again. I can only assume it was something to do with the mechanism the face plate attaches to, as even before the face was flipped up and it still wouldn't close. Thanks!

$198.71 USD shipped via FedEx.

-Kyp

It's too bad shipping costs so much.

I got mine when they had the 70% off shipping and the total came out to be 15,808 yen.

At least they have FedEx as an option now. A bit cheaper than EMS and much faster. What would have taken EMS about 4-5 days from shipping date took only 3 days with FedEx.

I remember reading something about there only being 1,000 Gamlin's made, what about M&M's?

-Kyp

I haven't heard anything about limiting the M&Ms to a small number made.

The 1,000 for Gamlin's version must have been regarding just the initial batch because I see on AmiAmi that they are doing a pre-order for another batch of Gamlin types to be released in August.

I haven't heard anything about limiting the M&Ms to a small number made.

The 1,000 for Gamlin's version must have been regarding just the initial batch because I see on AmiAmi that they are doing a pre-order for another batch of Gamlin types to be released in August.

Really? Sounds odd, because I see Gamlins readily available in the shops here. The other versions are much rarer, I would say.

Gamlin went out of stock just about everywhere online IIRC. HLJ has it back in stock and on sale for ~12k.

I'm more inclined to get from AmiAmi unless the price at HLJ is really good.

It's my first time transforming my VF22 Gamlin. Trouble im having is getting it in gerwalk mode were its backpack tab wont attach. I made sure its swing bar is all the way in, but I cant seem to get its backpack flush with the canopy. I checked out VF5SS' Millia vid and all he did is he push down on the backpack and was able to connect the tab. Am I missing something?

VF22002.jpg

VF22003.jpg

VF22004.jpg

VF22005.jpg

Just push down I'd say. Just a case of the toy being stiff. I usually stretch the two parts as far apart as they go until the metal ring is slot into those screws, then push down. (making a click as the plastic grips together)

I had problems with the slider of the back and it took me quite a bit of force just to slide that part in and out to telescope it for fighter mode after I had changed it the first time.

Another part that scared me a lot was the head part. The picture instruct you to just push the hood backwards and it looks like its going to break but it was designed to seperate the two halfs all along. I think a bit more diecast inside the toy would have made me less nervous. Maybe not in the legs like the 1/72, but in all the hinge bits that look like they might be under stress.

Some improvements to vf-22 for next release:

-make the rear landing gear lock into place so that when you push backward they don't fall back in.

-diecast hinges

-stretchy skin on top of the plane like we saw in the anime where it could bend. (only yf-21?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker