Voltron Movie Limbo

• 2 months later...

Those lions look like ass. Not to be the typical never-satisfied macrossworlder here, but really, they look like ass. Even the CGI zords from the first Power Rangers movie looked better than that.

Sorta looks Transformers movie-ish. But this is only pitched concept art to the studios. With the success of TF at the box office, I'd probably pitch it that way too, honestly. Doesn't mean you'd have to keep those designs.

I actually liked Voltron so I kinda hope this gets made some day. But I'm not naive enough to think it won't be updated for young kids of today.

I like them. It's loads better than the original idea of the kids building the lions out of trash in a junkyard. Just as it was with Transformers, you're not going to get a lineart perfect set of Lions.

I'll give it a chance if it gets out of dev hell.

Then again, I love Bay's Transformers. /shrug

I like them. It's loads better than the original idea of the kids building the lions out of trash in a junkyard. Just as it was with Transformers, you're not going to get a lineart perfect set of Lions.

I'll give it a chance if it gets out of dev hell.

Then again, I love Bay's Transformers. /shrug

Was that in the first draft of the movie script? I don't remember the lions being built out of a junkyard in the cartoon...

What is it with people making movies that bank on nostalgia for '80s properties while simultaneously thinking that everything from the '80s is too blocky and simplistic, and therefore needs to be rounded with tons of extra moving parts and gears and what-not?

This Voltron looks like ass. Not as much as Bayformers, but still ass.

What is it with people making movies that bank on nostalgia for '80s properties while simultaneously thinking that everything from the '80s is too blocky and simplistic, and therefore needs to be rounded with tons of extra moving parts and gears and what-not?

because everything from the '80s is too blocky and simplistic, and will look crappy on the big screen.

This Voltron looks like ass. Not as much as Bayformers, but still ass.

I'd say it looks just as bad as Bay Megatron.

I actually almost got on board when I saw only the lions, but that Voltron kills it. I hope they take those concept images right back to the drawing board. Even Stealth Voltron looked better...and that thing was god awful.

Was that in the first draft of the movie script? I don't remember the lions being built out of a junkyard in the cartoon...

Yeah. The concept/draft had Zarkon attacking present day earth while a group of teenagers end up hiding in a junkyard and build Voltron out of scrap and alien tech.

Yeah. The concept/draft had Zarkon attacking present day earth while a group of teenagers end up hiding in a junkyard and build Voltron out of scrap and alien tech.

That sounds horrible. I understand it would probably be on Earth, but that sounds utterly ridiculous. More ridiculous than magical robot lions.

because you've got so much more artistic vision and talent than he does :rolleyes:

The internet: Where snarkiness replaces statements like "I disagree".

Edit:

After seeing the third photo with Blue Lion I actually am starting to like the lions that way. Yeah, sue me.

Holy hell. I'm back on the fence. Edited by RD Blade

The torso of the lions just does not agree with me. Looks more like a wolf with a funny head. The Voltron lions had barrel chests, it gave them a more aggressive stance. The legs are too thin for me as well, squared off legs would have been great, with those big honking feet on with the claw missiles. Exposed ribs don't look great either.

Also, if you look at the blue lions head, you can see a sports car.

Edited by one_klump

because everything from the '80s is too blocky and simplistic awesome, and will look crappy wicked cool on the big screen.

Fixed.

And yes, I truly believe that detailed CGI models of the Transformers from the '80s cartoon would look much better than the monstrosities that Michael Bay is passing off instead. Just like I think these Voltron concepts suck.

I don't think your cat appreciates that. :lol:

Actually, Princess Allura, our youngest loves it ;) LOL. Seriously though, I'm glad the Marks script got canned. It's really really bad.

They weren't. That was Marks' idea how they were made.

Fixed.

And yes, I truly believe that detailed CGI models of the Transformers from the '80s cartoon would look much better than the monstrosities that Michael Bay is passing off instead. Just like I think these Voltron concepts suck.

Yup, I rememnber there was test footage around from ILM before the first transformers movie that had an autobot transform next to someone on a desert highway. looked pretty close to the animation too.

Chris

found it:

Edited by Dobber

Yup, I rememnber there was test footage around from ILM before the first transformers movie that had an autobot transform next to someone on a desert highway. looked pretty close to the animation too.

Chris

found it:

Would have loved to see a movie with transformers like that. But the insipidity of Bay's Transformers goes beyond design... story, characters and the horrible jokes were inane.